ADVERTISEMENT

Devyn Ford

His path to NFL is special teams. He's moved so he can work on skills that gets him a shot at the next level.

Reactions: BGI User 756
if that’s the reason then I’m a huge fan. Good to see someone not being delusional and having a high level of understanding about who they are and where their talent lies.

Reactions: BGI User 756
if that’s the reason then I’m a huge fan. Good to see someone not being delusional and having a high level of understanding about who they are and where their talent lies.
That's what Coach said during his press conference. We will see how bought in he is after spring practice

Reactions: Kelso86
From the other thread, Charlie Weis could have gone down as a great NFL OC and QB coach. We messed him up by making him think that he was a college HC.

I’m excited to see this and it wouldn’t surprise me if he gets some time on the field. He looks like a good athlete and does what he’s asked to do. He returns kicks, catches passes, and is a very willing blocker. See the Ohio State game for this. He’s low-key my favorite player on the team.

I don’t think there will be any issue with buying in. Perhaps ND should have made this move last year since he was the #5 RB unless they agreed to keep him there for a year.

I’m excited to see this and it wouldn’t surprise me if he gets some time on the field. He looks like a good athlete and does what he’s asked to do. He returns kicks, catches passes, and is a very willing blocker. See the Ohio State game for this. He’s low-key my favorite player on the team.

I don’t think there will be any issue with buying in. Perhaps ND should have made this move last year since he was the #5 RB unless they agreed to keep him there for a year.
It would be shocking if he played any meaningful minutes at safety. This is a move to help him on ST

Reactions: IrishMike409
It would be shocking if he played any meaningful minutes at safety. This is a move to help him on ST

It would be shocking to see him play meaningful minutes at safety? Why?

A move to help him on special teams? No its a move to help the team. He’s not needed at RB and bodies are needed at safety. He can play special teams as an offensive player and already did.

A move to help him on special teams? No its a move to help the team. He’s not needed at RB and bodies are needed at safety. He can play special teams as an offensive player and already did.
Why would it be shocking? Because at the minimum, he hasnt played safety in over 5 years. Like zero. And thats even debatable because some analysts said he didnt even play safety in HS. So you want a guy who may never have played safety in his life to be out scholarship safeties who have been playing there for years.....Not going to happen

Talk to MF about the STeams point because he literally said it in his opening press conference. His only future for the next level is on ST and MF said moving him to safety would make him a better tackler

You're saying No to the HC. Not to me. Because he's the one who said it

The 1988 championship team had notable 1st year position switches including Zorich (LB to NG), Stams (FB to OLB), Terrell (WR to DB), Francisco (RB to DB), Watters (RB to WR), Ismail (RB to WR) and Heck (TE to LT) … those days are long gone, in age of specialization a position change is a long term project like Watts was. We saw the difficulties and inconsistency with Tyree last year.

Reactions: NDSMC78

Ford's path to the NFL is as an elite st player. Not safety. Freeman moved him so he could work on tackling throughout the year to help him with his NFL dreams. It's very unlikely he takes a snap at safety

Why would it be shocking? Because at the minimum, he hasnt played safety in over 5 years. Like zero. And thats even debatable because some analysts said he didnt even play safety in HS. So you want a guy who may never have played safety in his life to be out scholarship safeties who have been playing there for years.....Not going to happen

Talk to MF about the STeams point because he literally said it in his opening press conference. His only future for the next level is on ST and MF said moving him to safety would make him a better tackler

You're saying No to the HC. Not to me. Because he's the one who said it
I didn’t say anything about beating out anyone. I said I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get some snaps (and I did mean meaningful).

Unfortunately for my prior post, I wasn’t accounting for the Heard and Clark transfers. So playing time opportunities diminish with those two arrivals. My bad.

My thought process was Watts and three sophomores that haven’t played much at all. Freshman not highly rated. A couple of injuries and he could have been needed to play. Maybe even play him at nickel possibly was my thoughts.

As far as what Freeman or any coach says, yes it’s true that it will make him a better tackler for the NFL, but that’s not the reason for the move. The reason is he’s not providing much to the team by playing as the #4 RB. He’s not going to say that.

Ford's path to the NFL is as an elite st player. Not safety. Freeman moved him so he could work on tackling throughout the year to help him with his NFL dreams. It's very unlikely he takes a snap at safety

I didn’t say anything about beating out anyone. I said I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get some snaps (and I did mean meaningful).

Unfortunately for my prior post, I wasn’t accounting for the Heard and Clark transfers. So playing time opportunities diminish with those two arrivals. My bad.

My thought process was Watts and three sophomores that haven’t played much at all. Freshman not highly rated. A couple of injuries and he could have been needed to play. Maybe even play him at nickel possibly was my thoughts.

As far as what Freeman or any coach says, yes it’s true that it will make him a better tackler for the NFL, but that’s not the reason for the move. The reason is he’s not providing much to the team by playing as the #4 RB. He’s not going to say that.
he was a depth player insurance policy last year when Payne was an unknown, Love was a freshman and Price was coming off an injury. He will never play meaningful snaps on O or D and should probably have transferred to a school where he can play … but if he’s willing to play ST then good for him. He’s not going to the NFL. Zero chance.

he was a depth player insurance policy last year when Payne was an unknown, Love was a freshman and Price was coming off an injury. He will never play meaningful snaps on O or D and should probably have transferred to a school where he can play … but if he’s willing to play ST then good for him. He’s not going to the NFL. Zero chance.
I agree. Not an NFL player.

Yes he did say that. He said it was a deep crowded backfield and he moved to safety to improve his tackling for the next level

Clark is playing Nickel. Heard is playing safety

Hed have even less chance at nickel than corner

Reactions: FightingIrish44
The NFL is becoming more and more specialized. Having a gunner that could be an emergency rb is a great deal for the NFL.

He's very likely to be on a roster

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT