ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive philosophy

TXND30

Future coach
Nov 10, 2011
alright guys,

I have waited to put my two cents in but since I have a tad of experience in this topic. I will now....Defense can be the easiest or the hardest in football. I am a firm believer that "Too Cute" defense does not work week after week. That has been ND issue BVG got caught up in his own scheme. Great scheme for the NFL or schools where the guys don't have the responsibility off the field that ND requires.

Defense pressure equals risk. So if your going to blitz send more than they can block some one will come free. Does this put your secondary in a island yes. But the best pass defense is a pass rush period. No masking no nothing. Just send more than a college team can pick up. Could you get burnt yes but you have d-1 athletes so make a freaking play. There is no calculus test to solving this issue. If your d line can't get pressure then send more than they can block and force the QB to make the right decision constantly. But know 1-10 is not the time playing your base with a d line that is 300lbs is ok in running situations.

Done!!!

alright guys,

I have waited to put my two cents in but since I have a tad of experience in this topic. I will now....Defense can be the easiest or the hardest in football. I am a firm believer that "Too Cute" defense does not work week after week. That has been ND issue BVG got caught up in his own scheme. Great scheme for the NFL or schools where the guys don't have the responsibility off the field that ND requires.

Defense pressure equals risk. So if your going to blitz send more than they can block some one will come free. Does this put your secondary in a island yes. But the best pass defense is a pass rush period. No masking no nothing. Just send more than a college team can pick up. Could you get burnt yes but you have d-1 athletes so make a freaking play. There is no calculus test to solving this issue. If your d line can't get pressure then send more than they can block and force the QB to make the right decision constantly. But know 1-10 is not the time playing your base with a d line that is 300lbs is ok in running situations.

Done!!!
When was it a great scheme in the NFL? It is a pile of crap.

Tackle, cover, contain, know your assigment. Reggie Brooks cracked me up a couple of weeks ago when a texter asked why the "D" don't strip the ball. Reggie responded by saying that they need to learn how to tackle first. When Reggie Brooks speaks, I listen and many times laugh.

Reactions: zonairish
Brian Kelly's style of football is detrimental to the defense. The Irish offense is inconsistent and too many times is off the field quickly. When you have a defense that is lousy, you need the offense to control the ball and clock to limit the amount of times the opposing team can have the ball. It's not that hard to figure out. But as much as Kelly says we will run, he ends up throwing. The offensive line may be talented. But they are soft and cannot get tough yards. That's what happens when you spread the field. Kelly needs to change his offense and go with the talent he has. Big offensive line, excellent backs, good tight ends. Start practicing blocking and plowing ahead instead of passive pass blocking. Do that and the wins will follow.

Brian Kelly's style of football is detrimental to the defense. The Irish offense is inconsistent and too many times is off the field quickly. When you have a defense that is lousy, you need the offense to control the ball and clock to limit the amount of times the opposing team can have the ball. It's not that hard to figure out. But as much as Kelly says we will run, he ends up throwing. The offensive line may be talented. But they are soft and cannot get tough yards. That's what happens when you spread the field. Kelly needs to change his offense and go with the talent he has. Big offensive line, excellent backs, good tight ends. Start practicing blocking and plowing ahead instead of passive pass blocking. Do that and the wins will follow.

I often think this is the way to go. However, the irish offense may need to score like baylor has. Keep coming and keep coming only because if we are stopped 2-3 times in a row. Well the D will play like a matador and let the other offense score

I often think this is the way to go. However, the irish offense may need to score like baylor has. Keep coming and keep coming only because if we are stopped 2-3 times in a row. Well the D will play like a matador and let the other offense score

It's really about toughness and saying " hey we're running the ball in! stop us" they don't have that mentality. It all starts with the head coach. When you have a line of 6'5 315 lbs across, why are you going empty backfield? Why are you going sideways on runs? This is not rocket science. So every time they need 2 or 3 tough yards, they either throw or run sidways. It's frustrating to watch these huge linemen go backwards because they can't run block. That is coaching plain and simple. ND doesn't need to be a spread team. They just need to be what they were. A power offense that simply beats you down. Stanford has become ND west.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT