ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Coordinator & Defensive Recruiting

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
Warning, this will be long...

There has been plenty of speculation about who the new DC could be, so rather than further beat that topic to death, I want to focus on other related points.

Whoever the next guy is, Kelly and Swarbrick have to make that hire immediately. The research needs to be done NOW and the guy needs to be hired immediately upon the conclusion of both his and ND's seasons. If ND somehow makes it to a bowl, I would push to name said DC prior to the bowl, even if he stays to coach with his current team through a bowl game. Maybe that's unrealistic, but I would do my damn best to make it happen.

Here is why...

Contrary to some of the doom-and-gloom on the board right now, which by the way is COMPLETELY justified and understandable, ND still has a shot to land some really quality defensive recruits to close its class. For the sake of the next DC moving forward, and the rebuilding of ND's defense it's vital that said guy have as close to 2 months as is possible, to make his mark on the recruiting class. I think any reasonable fan has to like the fact that the defense has improved greatly after getting a shot of structure and integrity after BVG's firing and the key ingredient in that has been the emergence of a freshman class that has not only seen significant playing time, but have played at a high level (relative to freshman). I don't think anyone can be disappointed with the play and progress of Julian Love, Donte Vaughn, Daelin Hayes, Devin Studstill, Jalen Elliot, Chase Claypool (who I pray moves to defense in the off season, which is a change from how I felt at the beginning of the the year) and to a lesser extent, Julian Okwara, Jamir Jones and Khalid Kareem. Lets face it, the defense has shown steady improvement all season, on the backs of a TON of snaps by true freshmen who shouldn't even be playing at this point. This bodes well for the future if Kelly makes a quality DC hire who comes with a plan, a new assistant, or two, an energy about him that can be infused into his players, and above all else, a scheme that gets his best 11 on the field and his next best 11 in a position to make contributions behind them. This doesn't need to be a "homerun" hire. ND needs to play top 25-30 defense to win a lot of games moving forward. Are there 30 teams with more individual defensive talent than Notre Dame? No. Disagree? That's fine, but the NFL draft will support my assertion over the next number of years. Now, should 30 programs have a better DC than ND? Of course not. The 3 ingredients to good defense are 1. Coaching. 2. Talent. 3. Health. Does ND need a young Bud Foster or Pat Narduzzi to field a top 30 defense? NO (although I'd love to get a guy like that). Does ND need Alabama's defensive talent to field a top 30 defense? NO (proven by the other 29 teams without Alabama's defense who also rank in the top 30 defensively).

I'd be happy with a young, hungry, DC, who is fully use to coaching without the luxury of Alabama, Florida State or Ohio State talent at every position and I want a guy who is passionate about recruiting. A grinder who puts in the effort. He doean't have to be a guy who is on the road a lot, but I want a guy who relates to recruits and doesn't mind sitting in his office for an hour a day in season and a couple hours a day in the off season, firing off dozens of text messages, tweets, Facebook messages, etc, etc. Get out on the road twice a year to see key defensive prospects, but let postion coaches do most of that travel. But be engaged in the social media game where recruiting lives today and be present, excited and engaged when defensive prospects are on campus... People rag on Harbaugh about his borderline creepy recruiting tactics but that's what recruiting is. It's weird. It's unorthodox.It's about differentiating oneself. As long as ND gets a DC who understands how to put college kids in positions to win, who stresses player development over scheme implementation and is an active recruiter, they'll have defensive success... Hell, Bob Diaco did only 2 of those 3 things and he built an awesome defense at ND.

With that said, the first thing the new DC needs to do is finish this class and land a couple of key guys left on the board. Furthermore, I'd like to see the new hire open ND up as a possibility to 3-4 new recruits that he was in on at his former program, maybe help flip a kid or two, and potentially bolster the interest of some guys that both he and ND have been "in on" mutually throughout the process. People keep wondering where the final 3-4 defensive guys in this class are going to come from and while I think a couple of them will need to come with the new DC, I also think there are three extremely important pieces left on the board for ND to close with and I believe ND leads or is in the top 2 for each.

Continued...

1. 4 star DE Josh Paschal (6'2, 240lbs): I'll link Paschal's mid season senior highlights and you'll be impressed. At 6'2 Paschal doesn't have elite height, but he has a strong lower body, the frame to easily be 255-260lbs and he's an ideal outside Rush backer in a 3-4, who puts his hand down to play DE in a 4-3. He'll do both at ND. He's violent as hell, kids go down when he hits them and he has one of the best first steps of any DE I've evaluated in this class. As a prospect comparison, he's a body clone of Prince Shembo, but he's more athletic in every way and he's a sack / tfl machine at the high school level. Much like Jamir Jones (who Paschal is more advanced than at the same age) he is also a really effective and athletic tight end as well, which lends credence to his level of athleticism. Already a composite top 10 DE in the 2017 class, the Maryland product has legit offers from Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Oklahoma, Clemson, etc, etc. This is not a second rate project player. This kid is a stud, ranked in the top 10 at his position nationally, and whose rankings I expect to increase even more after the evaluators see his senior film. Paschal will visit ND officially on Dec 9th and both Wiltfong and Loy have CB's in for him to ND... This kid is a must get and an early impact player. More physically ready to play than Daelin Hayes.

Mid season senior film... Enjoy.

2. 4 star CB Thomas Graham (5'10, 175lbs): Despite promising young players in the secondary, ND has a chance to land a second straight awesome haul of DB's if the Irish can add Graham to 4 stars Paulson Adebo, Isaiah Robertson and Elijah Hicks. Look, I know some people don't love the idea of a 5'10 defensive back, but I'll take an athlete as fluid, flexible and with as good of speed and hops as Graham, any day. This kid is an electric athlete and at every opportunity he's had to compete against and be evaluated against the best WR's in the country, the kid has been like crazy glue. We're talking a young Kei Russell type of athlete, with better natural coverage skills. It's no wonder he's a composite top 6 corner (and top 50 overall player in the country), with offers from the entire Pac 12 and Alabama. Graham's father is heavily in ND's corner, but Arizona and UCLA are right in the mix and a new DC at ND would need to make this kid an hourly priority down the stretch. Graham is athletically, and physically, what Shaun Crawford was before a torn ACL and ruptured achilles. A stud, who would be ND's highest ranked recruit in the class should the Irish land him. Flexibility is the key here. Graham could be a corner playing outside, where he has the same physical dimensions, but is an upgrade over Troy Pride. In that scenario he could allow Julian Love to stay inside at nickel or even move to safety. Otherwise, Graham easily projects inside at Nickel as well, allowing you to move Love around. You CANNOT have enough good athletes in your secondary and this kid is highly coveted and extremely capable. The Irish would be lucky to have him.

3. 4 Star DT Jerron Cage (6'1.5, 275lbs): This one I don't quite understand. So many people in the ND fan base just arent't that high on Jerron, even know he's good enough for Ohio State and is a top 15 defensive tackle in the class, who projects well to play SDE in a 3-4 as well. The ironic fact in my mind is that he's better than Brandon Tiassum, Micah Dew-Treadway, Jonathan Bonner and Elijah Taylor at the same age. Hell, he's better than his brother Daniel, IMO, and that kid has turned out to be a decent rotational NG for ND. Add him to Darnell Ewell and Kurt Hinish and you have the best class of interior DL at ND in some time. I can't understand why people don't believe in incremental roster upgrades. We seem to want home runs at every position (as if that's even possible yearly at ND) but most people are indifferent to a player who would be better than any interior player ND's landed outside of Jerry Tillery since Sheldon Day. We all know how hard it is for ND to land top players along the DL. Louis Nix this kid is not. Hell, Ewell is the better player in the 2017 class, IMO, but what's wrong with getting two good players? I see this kid as an easy 290lbs and a 2-deep player at ND for a minimum of 2 years. Again, flexibility is important. He's a better Jonathan Bonner. SDE in a 3-4, DT in a 4-3. A team like Alabama stockpiles these types each year and they disappear for two years into the weight room and into the defensive system. By their junior year they are contributing on a top 10 defense. By their senior year they are starting or playing as a key rotational player on another top 10 defense... People say "nahhhh lets just focus on Mustipher and Ademilola in 2018".... I say do both. Ewell, Cage, Ademilola, Mustipher is what it's all about. This is a team that never hits the scholarship limit. Don't pass on a quality player just because he's not the 2nd coming of Warren Sapp. That thinking has gotten ND into trouble before when injuries have exposed the gap between its defensive starters and their backups... DEEP, talented, classes. That's recruiting. Ohio State is likely to land at least one more top flight DT in this class, which could provide an opening for ND to push for Jones in a "flip" scenario. The kid has been on campus what seems like dozens of times to see his brother play and to make unofficial visits. I sincerely hope at some point the coaches simply make a damn hard push to continue the family name at ND.

I like to look at defensive classes in two cycles and group them. The reason is that someday they will represent the juniors and seniors on the roster, which you hope will make up the core of your key defensive players (your 22'ish that form your 2-deep). Every analysis that I've ever seen has shown that the VAST majority of top 25 defenses are those composed mostly of juniors and seniors. They are simply further developed players, implementing a scheme in which they are much more comfortable at executing than are underclassmen. So doom-and-gloom aside, imagine a prospective defense which features starters mostly from the 2016 and 2017 classes (as seniors and juniors) complimented by 1-2 5th year players and 2-3 exceptional underclassmen... I look and this potential group and it gives me hope (pending a quality DC hire)

4 star DE: Kahlid Kareem (2016)
4/5 star OLB / DE: Daelin Hayes (2016)
4 star OLB / DE: Julian Okwara (2016)
4 star OLB / DE: Josh Paschal (2017)
3 star OLB / DE: Jamir Jones (2016)
4 star NG: Darnell Ewell (2017)
4 star DT / DT: Jerron Cage (2017)
4 star LB: Chase Claypool (2016)- Wishful Thinking
4 star LB: Peter Werner (2017)- Assassin
4 star LB: David Adams (2017)
3 star S: Devin Studstill (2016)
3 star S: Jalen Elliot (2016)
4 star S: Paulson Adebo (2017)
4 star S: Isaiah Robertson (2017)
4 star S / CB: Elijah Hicks (2017)
4 star CB: Donte Vaughn (2016)
4 star CB: Troy Pride (2016)
4 star CB / NB: Thomas Graham (2017)
3 star CB / NB: Julian Love (2016)

There are 19 players that I think are good athletes and good football players, who I am confident will / would be key contributors on the ND defense in their junior and seniors years. That's a lot of talent. Alabama talent ? No. More talent than a lot of top 25-30 defenses? Without a doubt, yes... They need a good defensive coach and a some help from a couple 5th year guys and a couple guys in the 2018 and 2019 classes as well.

It would also help if a couple of these guys that I didn't mention developed into impact players. I see them more as developmental players, long terms players, or boom-or-bust types.

DT: Kurt Hinish (2017)
DE: Ade Ogundeji (2016)
DE: Jonathan MacCollister (2017)
LB: Jonathan Jones (2016)
LB: Drew White (2017)
LB / S: D.J. Morgan (2016)
LB / S: Spencer Perry (2016)

Continued...

Anyways, I know this has been a long post, but there was a lot to cover. ND is currently ranked 45th in total defense and 39th in scoring defense (24.1 ppg). It's safe to assume both rankings would be considerably better had BVG not started the season as ND's DC. ND doesn't have far to go to be a top op 25 defense. It could be done in a single off season, with a good hire. ND will return 7 starters next season and will no longer have 8 true freshman in starting or co-starting (sub package) roles. I think Luke is replaceable with the emergence of the young corners and the return of Watkins / Crawford and the recruitment of Graham. I think Onwualu has had a nice senior season, but the combination of Tranquil / Claypool / Bilal / Martini gives you options to have a really good athletes playing SAM in a 4-3 and Drop in a 3-4. That leaves Rochell and Jones needing replaced. Some combination of Bonner / Hayes / Kareem have to give 80% of Rochell and Cage / Tillery / Ewell have the tough task of replacing what Jones gives you when he's healthy.... Overall, the defense should be better and lets face it, since BVG'S dismissal they'be been good enough to win every game. surrendering 9 points and losing to Stanford is embarrassing for the offense and even in a mediocre, 28 point performance against Navy, they were a horrendous special teams mistake, a couple of drives that ended in field goals instead of touchdowns on offense and a single point away from beating Navy... Lets not even talk about NC State. What more was the defense to do there?

Hire the right guy, right away after the season (do the research now), finish this class with some of they key players left on the board (and add a couple names to that board) and build towards a top 25 defense next year, with new energy and a ton of returning experience... The rest is on the other two phases of the team, but that's another topic.

JMO.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Warning? ... all your posts are long; this was actually pretty average. What in that was 'new' or news?

Warning? ... all your posts are long; this was actually pretty average. What in that was 'new' or news?

You'd know average well Perse. It's the very definition of what you have been and what you will continue to be, your entire life.

Keep smiling my man. We're all entitled to an opinion. If you think mine is long winded, so be it. We'll agree-to-disgree.

IIO, don't know how you find the time and interest to put together these kinds of extensive posts, but glad you do. In another thread saying no credible DC will come to join a one and done Kelly, I argued that ND represents a great opportunity for some up and coming DC who wants to strut his stuff on a huge stage. Given our defensive performance the past three seasons, significant improvement is damn near guaranteed. Given our talent on offense, I think the facts support your view that ND can be sccessful with a top 25 defense. The main enjoyment I get out of watching ND this year has been the play and development of so many young guys on defense. But, we need to keep our current recruiting class together and land a few key players to continue the trend of D Hayes and Kareem, etc...

I think our irish have a great shot at paschal as he has been working hard on getting things done in the classroom to get into nd. adding him to top ten rated DT Darnell Ewell and the other guy from pittsbugh would a very good d-line haul for our irish. thanks IrishInOntario for the great info

Reactions: Telx1 and TXNDFan88
How about Todd Orlando? Seems like he'd be a perfect fit to me. From birthplace, to ability to coach up players, to scheme, to intensity.

IIO (and everyone),

Maybe you've commented on it before in the "beaten to death category", but with your observations on the improvement of the defense post BVG, what's your take on Greg Hudson?

Great stuff, what this board lacks is posts like these. Or you could just go the Pers route 20x a day, "BK isn't resonating with recruits, wait for the de-commits and more 3 star offers."

Relevatory stuff from Pers on every thread, every day. Keep posting IIO!

Like your optimism IIO. Unfortunately, even if Kelly makes a home run hire at the defensive coordinator position and lands those recruits you listed, I fear that the program will continue to struggle and find ways to lose to teams to that are far less talented. With that said, before we can even talk about defensive coordinator and recruits to land. Kelly needs to go! I'm a patient man and I've had enough with this guy. In his 7th year he now has a .670 winning percentage and ZERO wins against top 5 teams or a major bowl win.

IIO (and everyone),

Maybe you've commented on it before in the "beaten to death category", but with your observations on the improvement of the defense post BVG, what's your take on Greg Hudson?
The guy got ran out of Purdue for gosh sakes. Enough said.He's a good cheerleader....

Like your optimism IIO. Unfortunately, even if Kelly makes a home run hire at the defensive coordinator position and lands those recruits you listed, I fear that the program will continue to struggle and find ways to lose to teams to that are far less talented. With that said, before we can even talk about defensive coordinator and recruits to land. Kelly needs to go! I'm a patient man and I've had enough with this guy. In his 7th year he now has a .670 winning percentage and ZERO wins against top 5 teams or a major bowl win.
Yes, but he is an "offensive guru". What a joke

You'd know average well Perse. It's the very definition of what you have been and what you will continue to be, your entire life.

Keep smiling my man. We're all entitled to an opinion. If you think mine is long winded, so be it. We'll agree-to-disgree.

just too long in tooth here...gonna wait for the movie version to come out.

jmo: the 'average' regular here, pro or con, is fairly well informed and they don't require disertations which are 99.99% opiinion; and the rest guesses.
I Just don't see the need to edify myself on a football discussion forum.

What made our beloved ND35 great were a few simple qualities:
>for one thing he was a consumate gentle giant who was respectful to meet each poster on their own level
>then probably because of his handicap he learned to be efficient and effective with his words
>his information, while often served with a 'cherry in top', was actual information that he garnered fron efforless research across the social media forums only slightly embellished for color comment.
> he did all this mostly for us, and only a tad for himself.

whereever he is God bless him; we miss him terribly!

Last edited:
Continued...

Anyways, I know this has been a long post, but there was a lot to cover. ND is currently ranked 45th in total defense and 39th in scoring defense (24.1 ppg). It's safe to assume both rankings would be considerably better had BVG not started the season as ND's DC. ND doesn't have far to go to be a top op 25 defense. It could be done in a single off season, with a good hire. ND will return 7 starters next season and will no longer have 8 true freshman in starting or co-starting (sub package) roles. I think Luke is replaceable with the emergence of the young corners and the return of Watkins / Crawford and the recruitment of Graham. I think Onwualu has had a nice senior season, but the combination of Tranquil / Claypool / Bilal / Martini gives you options to have a really good athletes playing SAM in a 4-3 and Drop in a 3-4. That leaves Rochell and Jones needing replaced. Some combination of Bonner / Hayes / Kareem have to give 80% of Rochell and Cage / Tillery / Ewell have the tough task of replacing what Jones gives you when he's healthy.... Overall, the defense should be better and lets face it, since BVG'S dismissal they'be been good enough to win every game. surrendering 9 points and losing to Stanford is embarrassing for the offense and even in a mediocre, 28 point performance against Navy, they were a horrendous special teams mistake, a couple of drives that ended in field goals instead of touchdowns on offense and a single point away from beating Navy... Lets not even talk about NC State. What more was the defense to do there?

Hire the right guy, right away after the season (do the research now), finish this class with some of they key players left on the board (and add a couple names to that board) and build towards a top 25 defense next year, with new energy and a ton of returning experience... The rest is on the other two phases of the team, but that's another topic.

JMO.
Thanks IIO! Your posts are always informative and refreshing. You are the reason I continue to visit this site. I don't always agree with everything you post, but I always find your posts well thought out and insightful. Keep up the great work!

Just my 2 cents but I see us getting boat raced by SC and that will be Kelly's final game. Willingham met the same fate in 2004 when he lost to SC 41-10 and finished 6-6. You can't finish 4-8 or 5-7 with a blowout loss to your rival in year 7. That happens no way shape or form can Kelly come back for another season. Malloy and White were abysmal for the football program but they got it right in '04. Jenkins and Swarbrick better get it right in '16

Thanks for the hopeful and thoughtful post IIO. I am getting the feeling that even if Kelly stays he may be ready for a break/retirement (he seems to have that look in his eyes) in the next year or two... Wonder if a defensive minded HC who loses his job in this cycle would be interested in ND. Does anyone think we have a chance with Charlie Strong -- he is a proven recruiter.

I can dream, right? (USC killed it with Helton's hire of Clancy Pendergast.)

The Grass always looks greener some place else. Perhaps Hudson just might be the best choice of all.
He took what looked like a terrible defense under BVG, and seemed to have turned them around where
they actually are playing decent and more agressive ?
Kelly is more of a problem than the DC. Who knows how long Kelly may be here ? So assuming Kelly is back next year, Hudson may be our best bet, and with new recruiting and more time to get his system in place, he may be a lot better than people are giving him credit for ?

Since Tom Herman's Houston Cougars beat Louisville Thursday, the seat has gotten extremely hot for Charlie Strong, some boosters want Strong out now and Herman in. He could be a good D-coordinator.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT