ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Coaching Staff

Golson5

All Star
Apr 15, 2019
I was thinking about our defensive coaching staff. And I have to say I think its one of the best in the country.

DC/LB Clark Lea
DL Mike Elston
S Terry Joseph
CB Mike Mickens

It doesnt get much better than that. Top to bottom. Excellent staff

How many teams would you trade defensive staffs with? Id say very few. It's very impressive

I was thinking about our defensive coaching staff. And I have to say I think its one of the best in the country.

DC/LB Clark Lea
DL Mike Elston
S Terry Joseph
CB Mike Mickens

How many teams would you trade defensive staffs with? Id say very few. It's very impressive
The recruits will be falling all over themselves to play for them!

I think you should add to that the guy who assists Lea in coaching the LBs. The staff is really high on him. There was even talk on some sites that he could take over LB duties and allow Lea to spend more time at the other positions.

I think you should add to that the guy who assists Lea in coaching the LBs. The staff is really high on him. There was even talk on some sites that he could take over LB duties and allow Lea to spend more time at the other positions.
What's his name?

DC/LB Clark Lea
DL Mike Elston
S Terry Joseph
CB Mike Mickens

Pretty good, unfortunately the offensive coaching staff is abysmal for ND standards. Quinn, TR, mcnulty are an absolute joke

Pretty good, unfortunately the offensive coaching staff is abysmal for ND standards. Quinn, TR, mcnulty are an absolute joke
Better than pretty good. Also dont act like you know what Mcnulty can or can't do at tight end. And we'll see on Rees. He can be a star coach or not. We don't know.

What we do know, is our defensive staff is elite. Great job by Kelly putting that staff together

Better than pretty good. Also dont act like you know what Mcnulty can or can't do at tight end. And we'll see on Rees. He can be a star coach or not. We don't know.

What we do know, is our defensive staff is elite. Great job by Kelly putting that staff together

There is an article on Chmiel praising McNulty but it is premium stuff. Chmiel apparently hired McNulty years ago. I have heard Chmiel on podcasts. I value his opinion.

McNulty was coaching TEs with the Chargers when he was working with Rees. Rees must of liked what he said and collaborating with him.

“Leszynski (sp?)

Hes also a rising coach. Adding to the excellent staff we have”

golson, you were close, it’s Lezynski. Nick was a weis/Kelly walk-on DB and his little brother Xavier is a current walk-on TE, although they both were qbs in high school.

Leszynski (sp?)

Hes also a rising coach. Adding to the excellent staff we have

Don't disagree that it is an excellent staff. The Irish were 12th nationally in scoring defense last year, ahead of Alabama even. The Irish were 14th nationally in scoring offense, their highest ever during Kelly's tenure as coach. The question is can this group recruit the players needed to push them into the Top 10 in those categories, or can they develop what they have into units that can reach those levels. The Irish hopes to contend for a national title or make consistent appearances in the college football playoff depend on both. They must raise the talent level on both sides of the ball, and they must develop that talent into the players that are going to play on Sunday. I hope the new hires on offense and defense can do both, or else it's going to continue to be hit and miss with the Irish as far as the playoffs go. Kelly's legacy depends on it. If he's extended out to having a 15th year here and can't win the NC in that time, then what? I guess he always has his backers here. Maybe you can raise the money for the statue for him and engrave it with "Consistently won 10 games".

I could coach TEs with the talent ND has. Granted Rutgers sucked, but that offense under Mcnulty was abysmal.

Questioning the TE coach isn't the issue offensively. The offensive staff is below average as a whole. It's a group of a lot risks and guys that consist of we'll see if it works or not. Starts with Rees. Sure could be a star and many are hopeful. But, he isn't a star right now and fact is none of us know if it's going to work or not work. Quinn well I am not going to light that fire. Del is ok but not great. I do really like Lance as most I believe do. McNulty has a lot of experience in the NFL but not much in college. That side of the staff is fair to question. Just have to see how it goes.

Reactions: NDIRISH53
I could coach TEs with the talent ND has. Granted Rutgers sucked, but that offense under Mcnulty was abysmal.
You know your mom won't let you out of the house. Stop lying.

McNulty's offense in 2007 or 2008 as the best they ever had at the time. And hes not OC, he's hes tight end coach.

You're also forgetting we got a young rising coach in Lance Taylor

Reactions: Kelso86
You know your mom won't let you out of the house. Stop lying.

McNulty's offense in 2007 or 2008 as the best they ever had at the time. And hes not OC, he's hes tight end coach.

You're also forgetting we got a young rising coach in Lance Taylor
Oh so sorry, I forgot we have a rookie in TR as OC and a sorry ass OL coach who has no business coaching the OL. Like I said ND is strong at TE so it really doesn't matter whos coach. You are a really funny guy just like the other wannabee meat head OL from spartyland who likes to tell us how smart he is.

Oh so sorry, I forgot we have a rookie in TR as OC and a sorry ass OL coach who has no business coaching the OL. Like I said ND is strong at TE so it really doesn't matter whos coach. You are a really funny guy just like the other wannabee meat head OL from spartyland who likes to tell us how smart he is.
Don't know for certain about other posters but I am certainly much,much,much smarter than you. You would get mercy ruled for sure.

Lou Holtz took a huge risk in naming his linebacker coach his DC in 1988. Then Wisconsin turned around and named him their HC and it turned out to be their best move for decades too come. Football is all about throwing your chips on the pile and taking the chance. BK should have done it in 2013 and named Mike Elston his DC instead of that burned out turd called VanGorder. BK decided to go with an inexperience linebacker coach after Elco left for A&M. He chose not to make that same mistake (2013) this year. I'm excited to see if it pans out this season. It's not the end of the world either way. I expect very similar results to the Camping World Bowl this fall. TR doesn't scar me in the least as OC. It's just his next step in his chosen profession. BK has surrounded him with a proven safety next for support. He'll be fine IMHO.

Lou Holtz took a huge risk in naming his linebacker coach his DC in 1988. Then Wisconsin turned around and named him their HC and it turned out to be their best move for decades too come. Football is all about throwing your chips on the pile and taking the chance. BK should have done it in 2013 and named Mike Elston his DC instead of that burned out turd called VanGorder. BK decided to go with an inexperience linebacker coach after Elco left for A&M. He chose not to make that same mistake (2013) this year. I'm excited to see if it pans out this season. It's not the end of the world either way. I expect very similar results to the Camping World Bowl this fall. TR doesn't scar me in the least as OC. It's just his next step in his chosen profession. BK has surrounded him with a proven safety next for support. He'll be fine IMHO.
agreed. the hand wringing over the Rees promotion cracks me up. As you correctly pointed out it's the next step for him. Who out there is more familiar with the offense the boss chooses to employ than he would be ? he's been at ND long enough and obviously the guy in charge thinks he's ready. I'm excited about it.

Reactions: Kelso86 and Ara64
agreed. the hand wringing over the Rees promotion cracks me up. As you correctly pointed out it's the next step for him. Who out there is more familiar with the offense the boss chooses to employ than he would be ? he's been at ND long enough and obviously the guy in charge thinks he's ready. I'm excited about it.

Me too....

Does anyone here truly believe that Rees won't come up with good schemes? He knows how to read defenses. With he and Lance,this O is gonna rock. The only question is will Quinn get his O line to play at elite level? He recruits well but I want to see technique improve.

Does anyone here truly believe that Rees won't come up with good schemes? He knows how to read defenses. With he and Lance,this O is gonna rock. The only question is will Quinn get his O line to play at elite level? He recruits well but I want to see technique improve.
it seems a lot of the run blocking issues were Long related to some extent. The pass blocking was pretty stellar last year. let's see how everything meshes going forward. Hopefully Kraemer and Hainsey will be 100% and Banks loses at least 20 pounds.

It appeared the run blocking was a lot better in the bowl game; the game more than a few here thought we'd lose. It turned out to be our best all around game of the year; against a competitive opponent, going into the game. I'm sure many naysayers now will confidently say, "They were overrated and ND played another bad opponent. ND can't beat a team with a pulse." I recognize the simple fact that ND could go 9-3 this season, given the schedule; and still be as good or better than last year. I expect ND to go 11-1 or even 12-0 if the lads find a way to defeat Clemson. We'll just have to wait until next season.

Reactions: echowaker
I wasnt impressed with ISU. Not sure how they were competitve in their own league.

I wasnt impressed with ISU. Not sure how they were competitve in their own league.
Why ? Well coached, excellent QB play,solid defense in a league not known for it. Good team, not great by any means for sure. A dominating win for ND over a team that didn't get dominated at all last season.

Why ? Well coached, excellent QB play,solid defense in a league not known for it. Good team, not great by any means for sure. A dominating win for ND over a team that didn't get dominated at all last season.
I understand they played well in their league and they came into the bowl game motivated. However, their players didnt impress me. I dont think ISU had an off game and I dont think ND played exceptional. I just think that ISU had an obvious lower level of talent.

ISU had a nice season in 2019. They were "in" every loss but one and that was against ND. They had a decent run defense (mid 40s in Run D) and the Irish had a good day running the ball, even if you take away the TJ 84 yard home run ball. So, all in all, that bowl game was a productive day IMHO. I've heard on Sports Beat multiple times the tension with the offensive staff and Chip Long. So, with Chip not at the bowl game, you have to wonder if things were more relaxed with the practice leading up to the bowl game, including the game itself. Not sure why, but I'm getting warm to the idea of Tommy as the OC and not because of BK. I believe Tommy is a serious coach/ teacher/ recruiter, who knows and understands his job as the Irish OC.

So Van Gorder was a "burned out turd"? I laughed out loud on that one, Ara, not because it isn't true, but because it was funny to hear it come from someone who is usually a voice of reason and a model of good manners on this board. I guess he must have got you pretty fired up!

I tend to agree w/this. Rees wasn't the most athletic QB we ever had, but given his production, I have to think it was due to his football IQ...which SHOULD translate well to the OC position.
In regards to the OL...if Kelly doesn't address the fact that his own players are asking for more technique, then this undoubtedly should be the last season for Quinn. Like other posters have said, the talent that ND gets at OL is great/elite, so the production should match the talent. I trust Kelly has addressed this with JQ and tough conversations have been had. Let's at least hope so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT