ADVERTISEMENT

Daniel Cage rumors

Pennick44

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
Read on another site that he has left the team. Might be due to concussions.

If that is the case I wish him the best - that is why you make a 40 year decision. Good to know early so they can get Ewell lots of reps. Might be better to prepare him now, versus throwing him in to the fire if Cage gets dinged up midway through the first half against Temple.

Read on another site that he has left the team. Might be due to concussions.

What site?

He was recently medically cleared for concussions.
He did have knee surgery & is in rehab, so no way he would be ready for the opening game. (Most likely not first half of season).

Somebody did leave the program today, (confirmed) but it wasn't Cage.

Last edited:
He is off the program (football team). Don't be a nitpicking a@@..

I wasn't? Lol.
I was explaining his situation.
It is actually a smart choice for him because now he gets his ND degree & a free Masters somewhere else. And can still play football.
Chill out.

Bodi, unfortunately I think The Cage story got some legs. It seems like ND needs 25 D Lineman every year

Ashton will still be finishing the year academically & graduating with his ND degree. Then he will have 2 years of eligibility somewhere else.
Help me out on this one. Does he retain his scholarship and get a free ride or will he have to pony up and pay like regular students?

Help me out on this one. Does he retain his scholarship and get a free ride or will he have to pony up and pay like regular students?

He is no longer on scholarship, so how he pays is up to him. I'm sure he planned ahead because it sounds like academics are really important to him.

What is the current depth chart at all defensive line positions? Also when is Elijah Taylor expected back?

He is no longer on scholarship, so how he pays is up to him. I'm sure he planned ahead because it sounds like academics are really important to him.
If Cage is done for medical reasons he will continue on a full ride but a medical scholarship. It won't count against the 85 man limit.

If Cage is done for medical reasons he will continue on a full ride but a medical scholarship. It won't count against the 85 man limit.

I was talking about White.

But you are correct about Cage.

BullS$$. Name your source.[/QUOTE]
Fake news !!

No -- do not think this either fake news or bullshit -- just read an article on Facebook attributed to Irish Illustrated that Cage is not planning on playing in 2017 due to concussions and knee issues. Also said he use a red-shirt year, or go on medical hardship -- does not sound like that decision has been made yet.

BTW -- Pete Sampson wrote the article -- think he is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to ND football.

Cage probably isn't a top 30 player on the team but he was top 5-10 most important. Big blow

Cage is going medical redshirt this year and we'll see next season.Concussion issues and sore knee has brought the big guy down. If Ashton White doesn't want to play football then he shouldn't be given a free ride at Notre Dame. Jay Hayes is looking hard at a medical redshirt too. It looks like the younger studs we carry the load along the defensive line this fall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
Cage is going medical redshirt this year and we'll see next season.Concussion issues and sore knee has brought the big guy down. If Ashton White doesn't want to play football then he shouldn't be given a free ride at Notre Dame. Jay Hayes is looking hard at a medical redshirt too. It looks like the younger studs we carry the load along the defensive line this fall.
Haven't heard any reports of J Hayes and a redshirt.

Hmmm our running game should work against you guys next year. Lots of Scott and Holmes

J. Hayes is not a interior DT & is still on the roster.

Cage was 2nd string & was not expected to be back until late season, if at all.
Team knew since March & planned ahead.

Tillery will get 50 out of 70 snaps anyways. Ewell & a few others will take care of the rest.

DT Elijah Taylor is the other one mentioned with the lisfranc fracture and he might not be ready by the fall. Sorry for the mixup. Let's hope Jay Hayes finally shows up at Notre Dame. The injury bug has slowed him down over the last two seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT