ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Lanning

BleedingBlueNGold

Shakes Down The Thunder
Oct 13, 2009
Here's a head coach with striking similarities to Marcus Freeman. Same age. Former defensive coordinator. First time head coach.

Why is it that Oregon is in the top 10 with 1 loss, while Notre Dame is seemingly just average and under competitive in a lot of their games (excluding today's win at Syracuse.)

Is it that Oregon has more elite QB play with Nix? Do they have more competent offensive coordinating? More talent? Is it just easier to win at Oregon and in the Pac-12? It seems like they can plug in any coach and still be relatively competitive/successful year in year out.

I do have faith in Marcus Freeman overall and I am highly critical of his offensive coordinator. I think that has been the Achilles heel all season with or without the quarterback issues. I think the "First time head coaches can't win at ND" argument is null. First time head coaches can win at a lot of other places. ND should be no exception.

Here's a head coach with striking similarities to Marcus Freeman. Same age. Former defensive coordinator. First time head coach.

Why is it that Oregon is in the top 10 with 1 loss, while Notre Dame is seemingly just average and under competitive in a lot of their games (excluding today's win at Syracuse.)

Is it that Oregon has more elite QB play with Nix? Do they have more competent offensive coordinating? More talent? Is it just easier to win at Oregon and in the Pac-12? It seems like they can plug in any coach and still be relatively competitive/successful year in year out.

I do have faith in Marcus Freeman overall and I am highly critical of his offensive coordinator. I think that has been the Achilles heel all season with or without the quarterback issues. I think the "First time head coaches can't win at ND" argument is null. First time head coaches can win at a lot of other places. ND should be no exception.
They did lose a game by 46 points where MF had his team ready to play out of the gates.

Switch QBs and whats each teams record?

Reactions: tbone3114

I watch Oregon Football every snap. Kenny Dillingham is an outstanding new OC, and fifth year senior QB Bo Nix can play. Also, Oregon recruits well, and has talent at all positions both sides of the football.

Reactions: Kelso86

QB, QB, QB as that is what stands between ND being ranked in the top 5 and where we currently are…. And not a top 10 QB but a top 25 kid.

Go Irish… !

We didn't lose because of our offensive coordinator. That's just a lazy excuse. Res is a fine OC. We lost because our skill position players are just not good enough and our defense is inconsistent at bedt

Development helps.
This is not CFB 2022. The best recruits have been privately coached and the best players either play or transfer … and then you have the second tier guys who you hope would rather be a backup at a top program rather than a starter at a group of 5 or FCS school. We put our eggs in the Buchner basket which was reasonable- he got hurt and so we have a second tier guy trying to play way above his level. In a healthier situation Kelly would have realized he needed to play Phil some before handing him the team but he was squeaking out wins with Book with no margin and our next QB, who loved ND, left. That’s why Kelly grabbed Coan.

We didn't lose because of our offensive coordinator. That's just a lazy excuse. Res is a fine OC. We lost because our skill position players are just not good enough and our defense is inconsistent at bedt
QB has been the missing piece for the entire Kelly era … and the gap this year went from big to massive. NFL rosters littered with Irish players at most other positions.

I don’t agree. It was clear from the jump this season needed to be led by the offensive line and running game. It wasn’t enough against OSU, but the strategy was abandoned against Marshall and Stanford while Rees tried to prove he could be Lincoln Riley.

Apples to Oranges when comparing the two scenarios. Not taking anything away from how good a Coach Lanning is as he's proven himself from the Asst. level followed by the early success he's showing at Oregon. As noted by another poster, Phil Knight has provided 10's of Millions of $$ to the program which makes it an attractive destination from an NIL standpoint, including the aforementioned Moore deal. Add the portal and easy to understand why a HC at Oregon will have advantages over any new ND HC. It's been beaten to the death the disadvantage ND has with recruiting players in the Portal due to the academic requirements, handcuffing the staff. But principals are put into place for a reason and ND resolutely adheres to those principals. Freeman and Rees are building a program to mirror what Freeman wants and yesterday was a great example of seeing the results of our identity. For those who paid attention to the ABC broadcast, the graphic they showed comparing Freeman's start to Kirby Smart was perfectly timed. Took Smart a few years but look at where their program is today, without the benefit of having a financial benefactor along the lines of Knight. Further, Rees would be on the job market for 24 hours if he choose to leave and or let go. Both in the NFL & CFB. Clemson will certainly show where we're at and hoping for the right outcome and showing the massive # of recruits who'll be in attendance, ND is the place to be. Go Freeman, Go Rees and GO IRISH!

QB has been the missing piece for the entire Kelly era … and the gap this year went from big to massive. NFL rosters littered with Irish players at most other positions.
Yes, and Book is one if those players who made an NFL roster. I am so sick of seemingly many posters attacking Book. That kid got the most outbof his physical abilities and will himself to be the winningest QB in ND history,vyet he gets dismissed all the time. He DID make an NFL roster. The missing pieces in NDs lack of national championships is not the QB, it the pieces around him. UGA won a national championship with Stetson Bennett, they are #1 in the country now with Stetson Bennett. Heis hardly elite, but he is serviceable. ND lacks elite players at most of the skill positions on both sides of the ball, that's why we don't have national titles

Yes, and Book is one if those players who made an NFL roster. I am so sick of seemingly many posters attacking Book. That kid got the most outbof his physical abilities and will himself to be the winningest QB in ND history,vyet he gets dismissed all the time. He DID make an NFL roster. The missing pieces in NDs lack of national championships is not the QB, it the pieces around him. UGA won a national championship with Stetson Bennett, they are #1 in the country now with Stetson Bennett. Heis hardly elite, but he is serviceable. ND lacks elite players at most of the skill positions on both sides of the ball, that's why we don't have national titles
Ian Book was 35-5 as a starter, two CFB Playoff appearances, all during the 44-6 Brian Kelly run to end his tenure in South Bend.

I am not surprised at all IB is earning a 4y 4.4m contract as a current rostered backup in the NFL.

Good for him.

Rees is average.

And we dont have a qb
^^^ this
We are starting a guy who is a backup and I don’t mean a starter in waiting I mean a backup. Most teams are going to struggle with that situation. The RBs are sophomores and so are the few healthy WRs we have on the roster.

Freeman will succeed or fail at ND based on his ability to solve the offensive coaching … Rees will not recruit and develop at an elite level or level that matched the rest of the roster. No elite QB was going to commit to BK and same with Rees. The history of development of the few high 4* QBs they recruited is very bad.

Sorry to break it to you - Book is not an NFL QB. He will be out of the league soon with no meaningful snaps. He was a very good college QB who benefitted from being surrounded by great players and a bunch of NFL linemen. When it came time for him to put the team on his back in the playoffs he was a no show. 3 points in the cotton bowl. Our offense did not show up for either playoff game or the ACC championship game.

Sorry to break it to you - Book is not an NFL QB. He will be out of the league soon with no meaningful snaps. He was a very good college QB who benefitted from being surrounded by great players and a bunch of NFL linemen. When it came time for him to put the team on his back in the playoffs he was a no show. 3 points in the cotton bowl. Our offense did not show up for either playoff game or the ACC championship game.
"...out of the league soon..."

Thank You Mel Kiper.

Reactions: NDDadx3
Hendon Hooker at Tennessee is older than Ian Book, who spent 5 years at Notre Dame and is in his second year in the NFL.

That's quite a deal for Tennessee.

We’re a top ten team at least, if Pyne plays every week like he did against BYU. Rees always calls a good game when Pyne is passing the ball accurately like he did against BYU and UNC. Unfortunately, Pyne has been incredibly inconsistent with terrible inaccurate Passes like he displayed against Syracuse and Stanford. An accurate Pyne with some swagger lifts the entire offense, while the inaccurate Pyne playing tentatively kills our running game and scoring.

I watch Oregon Football every snap. Kenny Dillingham is an outstanding new OC, and fifth year senior QB Bo Nix can play. Also, Oregon recruits well, and has talent at all positions both sides of the football.
Ty Thompson is a former 5 star... would love to have him!

Well his time at ND and on the football team made him 4.4 million in the NFL! I don't know anyone who would not take that!

We’re a top ten team at least, if Pyne plays every week like he did against BYU. Rees always calls a good game when Pyne is passing the ball accurately like he did against BYU and UNC. Unfortunately, Pyne has been incredibly inconsistent with terrible inaccurate Passes like he displayed against Syracuse and Stanford. An accurate Pyne with some swagger lifts the entire offense, while the inaccurate Pyne playing tentatively kills our running game and scoring.
Pyne has lost his mojo... needs to talk to Austin Powers!

Ty Thompson is a former 5 star... would love to have him!
Agree. Ty Thompson is third on the depth chart in Eugene. Dante Moore, Jay Butterfield, and Ty Thompson will have quite a battle next Spring to replace Bo Nix.

He was drafted and made an NFL roster, and yet you still belittle him. Get a clue, hopefully NDDadx3, you kids got a better education then you clearly did. When your clueless I suggest listen more than you speak

He was drafted and made an NFL roster, and yet you still belittle him. Get a clue, hopefully NDDadx3, you kids got a better education then you clearly did. When your clueless I suggest listen more than you speak
I’m not belittling Ian Book he was a very good college QB. He was not elite, not even a little bit. Look at teams that win playoff games and championships and most of them have elite QB play. 3 points is a joke.
Re: my education, whatever. I’m doing ok in that department. You don’t like my arguments so rather than discuss intelligently you take a shot at my education. That’s called ad homonym … it usually means you lost. “Your a lousy softball player Jack”
It’s all good, I was an Ian Book fan but also realistic about what he was and what he wasn’t. If we swap QBs with Clemson in 2018 we win. Can’t say that for any other position.

I’m not belittling Ian Book he was a very good college QB. He was not elite, not even a little bit. Look at teams that win playoff games and championships and most of them have elite QB play. 3 points is a joke.
Re: my education, whatever. I’m doing ok in that department. You don’t like my arguments so rather than discuss intelligently you take a shot at my education. That’s called ad homonym … it usually means you lost. “Your a lousy softball player Jack”
It’s all good, I was an Ian Book fan but also realistic about what he was and what he wasn’t. If we swap QBs with Clemson in 2018 we win. Can’t say that for any other position.
Stetson Bennett says hi.

Stetson Bennett is hardly elite. There goes your argument. ND needs an elite defense and elite OLine, and only then will they compete

Stetson Bennett says hi.
Tip: if you want to be a smart ass you first have to be smart. Otherwise you are just an ass.

Book’s and Bennett’s stat lines don’t look remotely similar in the playoffs.

Google more, post less.

and for the record I appreciate Ian Book.

Stetson Bennett is hardly elite. There goes your argument. ND needs an elite defense and elite OLine, and only then will they compete
Bennet vs Top 25: 80% completion %, 368 yds per game

do better

college football playoff teams without elite QB play don’t often win. It’s not tue 1980s anymore.

He was a good solid player. He got drafted. Congrats to him

We Still need an elite QB to win playoff games. Not a solid guy

Tip: if you want to be a smart ass you first have to be smart. Otherwise you are just an ass.

Book’s and Bennett’s stat lines don’t look remotely similar in the playoffs.

Google more, post less.

and for the record I appreciate Ian Book.
Bennett and Book were on two drastically different teams. Be fair at least. If Book is tge QB on UGA they win the national championship as well. The talent level between the two teams is immense. Bennett was a walk on at UGA, couldn't cut and transferred to a JUCO, then returned to UGA as a back up. Proving once again, you don't need an elite QB to win.

Bennet vs Top 25: 80% completion %, 368 yds per game

do better

college football playoff teams without elite QB play don’t often win. It’s not tue 1980s anymore.
So he is an elite QB even if he wasn't on UGA? Don't be ridiculous. Kid was a walk on. A lot of QB would be elite on UGA. Get a clue

Last edited:
Bennett and Book were on two drastically different teams. Be fair at least. If Book is tge QB on UGA they win the national championship as well. The talent level between the two teams is immense. Bennett was a walk on at UGA, couldn't cut and transferred to a JUCO, then returned to UGA as a back up. Proving once again, you don't need an elite QB to win.
The talent gap is exactly why we need an elite QB to close that gap.

We will never be able to recruit the talent Georgia had

That's been my point the entire time on why we (not Ga) needs an elite QB

You finally saw the light

The talent gap is exactly why we need an elite QB to close that gap.

We will never be able to recruit the talent Georgia had

That's been my point the entire time on why we (not Ga) needs an elite QB

You finally saw the light
And my point is an elite QB does not get us a national championship. That is not the most critical position on the field. You can put Bryce Young or CJ Stroud on ND and they ain't winning a national championship. Jimmy Clausen was the #1 rated QB in the country, came to ND, and clearly didn't have enough around him to win it. Elite defenses with elite OLines win national championships. Without upgrades ar those position groups, it doesn't matter who your QB is; in terms of competing for a NC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT