ADVERTISEMENT

D - Coords Next year

ftnfan62

I've posted how many times?
Aug 1, 2010
Doubting Greg is the long term for a top program....

The BC coord would have been good, not sure if we can pay him away from Michigan but maybe...

LSU always has a top defense.....maybe with Les gone he will be available...

Hear good things about Utah.....

Also the Northwestern coach......no offense but they seem to hold teams low....

The BC coord would have been good, not sure if we can pay him away from Michigan but maybe...

If they do go after somebody else as DC they will have their hands full

This type of offense is hard on your defense even at the best of times. Developing a scheme, with the conditioning that will be required for that scheme because of such a fast-paced offense will be challenging

If they do go after somebody else as DC they will have their hands full

This type of offense is hard on your defense even at the best of times. Developing a scheme, with the conditioning that will be required for that scheme because of such a fast-paced offense will be challenging
We run a no huddle offense be we don't run an up tempo offense. There is a difference and typically our offense runs the play clock down to 10 seconds or less which is what a typical huddle offense does. Our time of possession stats are right in the middle of the pack, but ToP is both a product of offense and defense. In our case, our defense has had a very difficult time getting off the field the past few years with teams routinely mounting 70+ yard drives on a regular basis. The fact our D may be extra tired in the 4th quarter has more to do with their ineptitude at shutting down the other side's offense in the first 3 quarters than it has to do with the tempo of our offense, which again, is a normal tempo offense.

We average close to 40 pts a game....I think we could do ok if our defense gave our offense more touches.

We run a no huddle offense be we don't run an up tempo offense. There is a difference and typically our offense runs the play clock down to 10 seconds or less which is what a typical huddle offense does. Our time of possession stats are right in the middle of the pack, but ToP is both a product of offense and defense. In our case, our defense has had a very difficult time getting off the field the past few years with teams routinely mounting 70+ yard drives on a regular basis. The fact our D may be extra tired in the 4th quarter has more to do with their ineptitude at shutting down the other side's offense in the first 3 quarters than it has to do with the tempo of our offense, which again, is a normal tempo offense.

As different as they are to each other this is still not a ball controlled offense

When you have the quarterback stationary in the backfield not under Center calls for different blocking scheme it does not the running back any movement to the ball instead unless it is a direct snap,....,..,,...well I'm sure you see where I'm going

We have seen this type of offense 7 seasons and one season a good defense . You would think you would want to get a more defensive friendly offense until they can come together

I get it coach Kelly feels he can outscore the opposing team. That's just not happening at Notre Dame

I know coach Kelly can hang his hat on the 2012 season as he should but I understand if that offense had any other Notre Dame defense under coach Kelly they would have lost four games that season

the new Head Coach should get to pick his own DC.
Stop embarressing ND with this dispkay of bad coaching and deplorable character.

Would you like to elaborate or is that the best you got

I think he feels like many of us do this isn't a fast-paced offense we run. Oregon is fast-paced, Clemson and so is Auburn, etc. Just because we run no-huddle doesn't mean it is a fast-paced offense. The offense Kelly has at ND isn't even close to how fast-paced his Cincy offenses operated at.

I think he feels like many of us do this isn't a fast-paced offense we run. Oregon is fast-paced, Clemson and so is Auburn, etc. Just because we run no-huddle doesn't mean it is a fast-paced offense. The offense Kelly has at ND isn't even close to how fast-paced his Cincy offenses operated at.

You believe this offense isn't taxing on its defense especially the type of defenses coach Kelly has had while at Notre Dame.........hell you can include the defense he had at UC

2012 that was a decent defense aside from that you have nothing but offense to win the game.
Special teams has even under achieved

As well as that worked at the University of Cincinnati schedule is more demanding requiring a balance between offense and defense which Notre Dame has not had

Now if you want to talk about the offense and the issues with that as high-scoring as it has been the turnovers has been ridiculous under coach Kelly

It has not proven to work and Notre Dame including the 2012 season

But I do appreciate a well-thought-out Counterpoint

We average close to 40 pts a game....I think we could do ok if our defense gave our offense more touches.
It has been that way since his days at University of Cincinnati..... How many national championships/ major Bowl victories has that brought him?

That's 10 years in division 1 and he still hasn't figured out how to have a consistently decent defense which is odd considering who was the defensive player in college

It has been that way since his days at University of Cincinnati..... How many national championships/ major Bowl victories has that brought him?

That's 10 years in division 1 and he still hasn't figured out how to have a consistently decent defense which is odd considering who was the defensive player in college

I cannot argue with the disappointment with Kelly. I disagree with the pitchfork and fire approach but Kelly was a step up from the last set of coaches. That said, I gotta believe unless this team falls into the abyss he will be back next year.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Greg Schiano was a notre Dame hater. I think he would make a great DC. I am not sure he would ever come here

the new Head Coach should get to pick his own DC.
Stop embarressing ND with this dispkay of bad coaching and deplorable character.

I think ND

Agree, although you cannot argue with their defense in 2012....

I didn't see his cinci defense his last year so cannot comment. S

I disagree with that, I do believe Kelly found consistency on defense with Diaco.

2010: 50th total D, 23rd scoring D
2011: 30th total D, 24th scoring D
2012: 7th total D, 2nd scoring D
2013: 31st total D, 27th scoring D

Is that Alabama amazing of course not, but few are. These kind of top 30ish Defenses Diaco put on the field would be good enough to have ND in playoff contention year in and year out with the way our offense have put up points the past 2 seasons. Diaco never had the luxury of coaching here while the offense was scoring a bunch of points.

Kelly went away from what was working and hired BVG to run a 4-3. We have a decade and a half of coaches that attempted to install a 4-3 defense and besides Ty's first season all of them have failed miserably.

I think ND

Agree, although you cannot argue with their defense in 2012....

I didn't see his cinci defense his last year so cannot comment. S

The defense in 2012 came together dispute the offensive failure. They played inspired

I disagree with that, I do believe Kelly found consistency on defense with Diaco.

2010: 50th total D, 23rd scoring D
2011: 30th total D, 24th scoring D
2012: 7th total D, 2nd scoring D
2013: 31st total D, 27th scoring D

Is that Alabama amazing of course not, but few are. These kind of top 30ish Defenses Diaco put on the field would be good enough to have ND in playoff contention year in and year out with the way our offense have put up points the past 2 seasons. Diaco never had the luxury of coaching here while the offense was scoring a bunch of points.

Kelly went away from what was working and hired BVG to run a 4-3. We have a decade and a half of coaches that attempted to install a 4-3 defense and besides Ty's first season all of them have failed miserably.
It is hard to say if the 2010 - 2011 defenses would have put Notre Dame in the playoffs with this offense but it would have been in better shape

Coach Diaco was a pleasant surprise and gave me the impression coach Kelly had an eye for assistants

But the failures of this defense and the neglect of coach Kelly to get more involved on the defensive side speaks volumes

I cannot argue with the disappointment with Kelly. I disagree with the pitchfork and fire approach but Kelly was a step up from the last set of coaches. That said, I gotta believe unless this team falls into the abyss he will be back next year.

Coach Kelly will for sure be here next year

So I am hoping I'm not going to spend another year watching the Irish lose games they should win and not competing games I know they should be able to compete in

Reactions: zonairish
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT