ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Robinson---MIA So Far In 2015

Golden Domer93

Shakes Down The Thunder
Aug 14, 2008
I am shocked we have not seen more of Corey Robinson in 2015. For example, he only had one catch today vs GA Tech. I thought for sure he would have 8 catch games this season. Really surprised.

It' s time to get some more frosh Wr's in the mix. St. Brown might be a playmaker. Carlisle is non- exisitant in the pass game and run game. Hunter took a step up today. CJ sanders should get involved and IMO should play jones in the slot WITH Latua at TE . This gives the defense a 2- TE look . That can mess up their personnel. Better edge blocking as well on both sides of the LOS. ND has Weisher, Jones and Latua . Use them all at times in the pass / playaction game. Need to be creative in the offense . Brown, Robinson are ordinary. So need to complement Fuller with some different looks vs. Clemson. Mackenzie is a great corner and with be tough on Fuller.

I don't understand why Carlisle is returning kicks, he's looked awful. Why not put CJ back there? And it's crazy that experts were saying Robinson might be a first round pick before the season, he barely see's the field for ND this year.

It's easy to say plug in the young guys when the veterans aside from Fuller have been putting up average to weak numbers. With the QB situation as it is, I think its tough to grade the WRs at the moment. It's only been 3 games, as it was Kizer's first start, so I say give it time. The passing plays were very simplistic today, which may have limited Robinson's chance to shine.

Corey Robinson needs to be targeted at least 8-10 times per game
And whom do they target less in order to get those throws to Robinson?

The passing game has been pretty good thus far, so I don't understand the concern here.

He was easily brushed aside on that first on-side kick giving the ball to GT.

I think you will see better ball distribution as the season evolves . ie Brown getting a career high 8 catches yesterday . Also I see Hunter and Jones getting more involved in the offense . Kelly is no fool - we have not seen the whole ND offense yet . He has multiple weapons that I think will catch opponents off guard moving forward .

Kelly has said there are mismatch opportunities w Jones as well as Hunter - I see these two kids surfacing soon . If Kizer hits Hunter in stride it was six points yesterday . Sanford , Kelly and teammates say that Jones is just about unstoppable , I see 4-6 catches per game for this kid moving forward .

re Robinson - I have never been high on the him - not saying he is not serviceable but I have never seen him do something that 100 other kids in college football can't do .

By all accounts Hunter and Jones are dynamic athletes -- as I said Kelly is no fool he will be incorporating these kids more and more in to the offese moving forward given of course that Kizer can spread it around effectively .

One thing I really liked about yesterday was seeing Brown getting some touches off some short stuff . Brown is a speedster and teams have to allow for that allowing some soft coverages ND took full advantage of that yesterday . As soon teams try taking that away I see Brown becoming a viable deep threat . see Oklahoma game . Brown might be a real X factor for this offense moving forward .

Robinson is a great kid - just not sure there are enough footballs floating around given all the talent at receiver for him to be a real factor moving forward

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodizephax
I don't understand why Carlisle is returning kicks, he's looked awful. Why not put CJ back there? And it's crazy that experts were saying Robinson might be a first round pick before the season, he barely see's the field for ND this year.

From my angle yesterday it looks like Carlisle just stops at the 15-yard line and waits to be tackled on kick-off returns. He needs to be replaced.

Reactions: Bodizephax
I am shocked we have not seen more of Corey Robinson in 2015. For example, he only had one catch today vs GA Tech. I thought for sure he would have 8 catch games this season. Really surprised.
Can happen with QB changes. Golson often used Robinson as a safety blanket; the new QBs have gone differently. He likely will get his chances.

I think you will see better ball distribution as the season evolves . ie Brown getting a career high 8 catches yesterday . Also I see Hunter and Jones getting more involved in the offense . Kelly is no fool - we have not seen the whole ND offense yet . He has multiple weapons that I think will catch opponents off guard moving forward .

Kelly has said there are mismatch opportunities w Jones as well as Hunter - I see these two kids surfacing soon . If Kizer hits Hunter in stride it was six points yesterday . Sanford , Kelly and teammates say that Jones is just about unstoppable , I see 4-6 catches per game for this kid moving forward .

re Robinson - I have never been high on the him - not saying he is not serviceable but I have never seen him do something that 100 other kids in college football can't do .

By all accounts Hunter and Jones are dynamic athletes -- as I said Kelly is no fool he will be incorporating these kids more and more in to the offese moving forward given of course that Kizer can spread it around effectively .

One thing I really liked about yesterday was seeing Brown getting some touches off some short stuff . Brown is a speedster and teams have to allow for that allowing some soft coverages ND took full advantage of that yesterday . As soon teams try taking that away I see Brown becoming a viable deep threat . see Oklahoma game . Brown might be a real X factor for this offense moving forward .

Robinson is a great kid - just not sure there are enough footballs floating around given all the talent at receiver for him to be a real factor moving forward

Good post. I agree on Corey Robinson. He is just too slow and he seems weak for his size.
Golson was just good at getting him the ball.
Robinson peaked at the Florida State game last year and then he blew the great comeback game against Arizona State when he dropped that long pass from Golson and basically handed it the AState defensive back who ran it back for a TD--Golson was on fire and was leading the Irish for another TD to put them ahead--so basically it was a 14 point turn around. Golson was never really the same after that game.

8 catches per game is a lot. He should definitely get 8 targets though. As long as Fuller is getting his share and making plays, I'm happy.

Corey Robinson needs to be targeted at least 8-10 times per game
Agree.
Chris Brown should be second string AT BEST. He still drops way too many balls. The hell with his speed.
He can't use it if the ball's on the ground.

Hunter seems legit, but isn't living up to the hype just yet. Carlisle should also be playing behind somebody.

Truth is two-fold:
1. Kelly is loyal, loyal, loyal to certain players. Regardless of results.
2. The Irish are loaded at WR and reps will be tough to come by.

Reactions: Weisnheimer
I think Robinson has a lot of upside. That said, he was the target of the fade to the corner of the end zone that got picked off. IMO, he seemed to slow down so not to go out of bounds then realized he was out of position to even deflect the ball away from the defender. Lot of upside but inexperienced and needs coaching.

Don't sleep on C. Robinson. He had a big catch over the middle agains UVA and think he will be a big asset for us down the line.

It' s time to get some more frosh Wr's in the mix. St. Brown might be a playmaker. Carlisle is non- exisitant in the pass game and run game. Hunter took a step up today. CJ sanders should get involved and IMO should play jones in the slot WITH Latua at TE . This gives the defense a 2- TE look . That can mess up their personnel. Better edge blocking as well on both sides of the LOS. ND has Weisher, Jones and Latua . Use them all at times in the pass / playaction game. Need to be creative in the offense . Brown, Robinson are ordinary. So need to complement Fuller with some different looks vs. Clemson. Mackenzie is a great corner and with be tough on Fuller.
Roddie White for the Falcons has one catch in two games. $hit just happens sometimes.

I find it totally ridiculous that posters on this board seem to think the know more about the players than the coaches do. Just ridiculous. Hey I like Corey as well, but I trust in our coaching staff that they know a bit more of it then we do.

The fade to Robinson in the corner of the end zone was in no-way his fault.
Just a bad throw by Kizer.

Although it does look as though CR was expecting the ball up and inside and the ball
went up and outside. So who's to say really.

The fade to Robinson in the corner of the end zone was in no-way his fault.
Just a bad throw by Kizer.

Although it does look as though CR was expecting the ball up and inside and the ball
went up and outside. So who's to say really.
Just heard BK say in the presser that "Corey has to hold his line on the play". He said Corey ran inside when the CB jumped the route and Kizer was throwing to a 'spot'. In no way am I bashing Corey but it was an error for him according to BK.

Just heard BK say in the presser that "Corey has to hold his line on the play". He said Corey ran inside when the CB jumped the route and Kizer was throwing to a 'spot'. In no way am I bashing Corey but it was an error for him according to BK.
Based on the replay it appeared that CR took the wrong route. It was a corner fade, he went too far inside. Even if the DB tries to cut you off, you need to run the correct route because there's a good chance of a PI call against the DB, since he doesn't know when the ball is in the air.

Reactions: Irish Grandeur
Based on the replay it appeared that CR took the wrong route. It was a corner fade, he went too far inside. Even if the DB tries to cut you off, you need to run the correct route because there's a good chance of a PI call against the DB, since he doesn't know when the ball is in the air.
Agree. Even if there is no PI call, with CR's height advantage it likely wouldn't have been an INT. The good news is that these can be teaching points for the coaches.

From my angle yesterday it looks like Carlisle just stops at the 15-yard line and waits to be tackled on kick-off returns. He needs to be replaced.

Was at the game and noticed that too. He does not "hit the hole hard" - kind of slows down when he was about to be tackled or hitting the hole.

Good post. I agree on Corey Robinson. He is just too slow and he seems weak for his size.
Golson was just good at getting him the ball.
Robinson peaked at the Florida State game last year and then he blew the great comeback game against Arizona State when he dropped that long pass from Golson and basically handed it the AState defensive back who ran it back for a TD--Golson was on fire and was leading the Irish for another TD to put them ahead--so basically it was a 14 point turn around. Golson was never really the same after that game.

Just read where Kelly was quoted as saying he is committed to getting Alize Jones more involved -- way too many people have sung the praises of this kid for him not to be special . IMO he will greatly improve the offensive foot print of this football team in short order . Kelly has stated that he is the best athlete he has ever coached @ the TE position . Kyle Rudolph and Eifert were pretty good . Stay tuned I think we are in for a treat .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT