ADVERTISEMENT

"Clemsoning" up until 2015...

IrishFforida

Irish Expert
Jan 7, 2018
Clemsoning was a phrase used to describe Clemson football and its choking right up until the 2015 season and WIN over Stoops & OU in the Orange Bowl during he 1st round of the College Football playoffs

Prior to that 2015 season & playoff game Clemson had choked away game after game to FSU & So Carolina and had 70 points hung on them by WVU in the 2011 Orange Bowl. Causing them to fire its DC Kevin Steele and hire Venables.

That 2015 win over OU earned them national respect and ushered them into the "Big 3" (Bama, OSU & Clemson) That respect carried them into the playoffs despite losing to Pitt at home in Nov iof 2016 and losing to 4-8 Syracuse last year.

ND needs to win this football game vs Clemson to earn some respect, because they get very little, and ND needs to win this game to get into a discussion about being a Tier I program and not just a Tiet II program.

This is the moment and this is the opportunity.

The concern I have is if ND gets beat by 14+. While I don’t think that happens and truly feel as though this team has a great opportunity to win this game I’m concerned about the ramifications going forward if they get beat bad. Will a 1 loss ND team have no playoff shot in the future if this outcome is bad? Will an unbeaten ND team have a hard time getting into the field? They were unbeaten this year and the talk was by some that they shouldn’t be in. That will only get multiplied in the future if this game goes sideways on them.

Not trying to bring negative thoughts here because as I stated I feel this team will win this game but anything can happen in a given game. This is the opportunity this program has been waiting for and it’s time for this program to seize the moment and go win this type of game.

Good post. Whether it should or not is debatable but this game will go a long ways in terms of ND’s position in future playoffs. Each season is different w/ roster turnover but it will sneak into the committee’s heads if we lay an egg, especially w/ pretty boy & his ilk constantly beating the ‘ND isn’t that great’ drum. Kudos to them this year for not listening to his drivel, at least when it came to ND. They did put Georgia ahead of osu, which I thought was a joke.

If ND allows to get jumped early a la Clemson '15, OSU '15, Bama '12 it will certainly be good night Irene. But if they come out like FSU '14 we know us fans will be in for a dog fight.

Color me crazy but I see this game being very competitive with ND having a good chance to come up on top.

Last edited:
Clemson has much more speed and talent than any team in the country outside of Alabama at most every position except for their secondary which is suspect. They are extremely deep.

ND will have to play near perfect and hope Clemson is off their game.

I am not a Clemson fan. I don’t care who wins.

If ND allows to get jumped early a la Clemson '15, OSU '15, Bama '12 it will certainly be good night Irene. But if they come out like FSU '15 we know us fans will be in for a dog fight.

Color me crazy but I see this game being very competitive with ND having a good chance to come up on top.

Like everyone else I would like to blow Clemson out. But sadly that would only have too many claiming Clemson had a bad game, etc.

Now I want a good, hard clean game without the officials being too involved. Both teams CLEARLY playing well and we win.

That way only the real haters who will never admit it will have to say we have finally arrived to go toe to toe with the big dogs.

This club of 3. Exists because Clemson & OSU won National Titles AND beat Alabama in the post season to get that job done

So ND now joins the Tier II crowd of Oklahoma & Georgia and needs to win a playoff game or two, to make a serious claim about being back.

Lou Holtz did not bring ND back 88-93 because he beat USC, Penn St & Mich. He brought ND back because he beat Miami & FSU. Which were the best college football had to offer at that time

Same for Nebraska in 73-93. They did not become elite 94-97 because they were winning the Big 12, they became elite when they finally conquered Miami, UF & Tenn w Peyton Manning) and that Southern Speed in the post season.

Well right now Alabama, Clemson & OSU are the best College Football has to offer. So ND vs Clemson in the playoffs is the perfect match up and would easily be Brian Kellys biggest win. This truly is the most important game of the last 25 years by a mile. And ONLY a win will change the narrative.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadirishpoet
This club of 3. Exists because Clemson & OSU won National Titles AND beat Alabama in the post season to get that job done

So ND now joins the Tier II crowd of Oklahoma & Georgia and needs to win a playoff game or two, to make a serious clam about being back.

Lou Holtz did not bring ND back 88-93 because he beat USC, Penn St & Mich. He brought ND back because he beat Miami & FSU. Which were the best college football had to offer at that time

Same for Nebraska in 73-93. They did not become elite 94-97 because they were winning the Big 12, they became elite when they finally conquered Miami, UF & Tenn w Peyton Manning) and that Southern Speed in the post season.

Well right now Alabama, Clemson & OSU are the best College Football has to offer. So ND vs Clemson in the playoffs is the perfect match up and would easily be Brian Kellys biggest win. This truly is the most important game of the last 25 years by a mile. And ONLY a win will change the narrative.

I would argue that GA is probably Tier IIA since they have come so close to beating Alabama a couple of times. THEY are considered just below by quite a few and right there by others. THEN comes the next bunch that ND I would say now heads up.

Clemson has much more speed and talent than any team in the country outside of Alabama at most every position except for their secondary which is suspect. They are extremely deep.

ND will have to play near perfect and hope Clemson is off their game.

I am not a Clemson fan. I don’t care who wins.
Then why didn't the team with more speed and talent not blow out NC State and Syracuse?

Their two starters at CB are a former 6.0 four star and 5 star. Just young. Still speed and talent though. Safeties have been up and down but hybrid Isaiah Simmons is top 3 fastest on team

Its a pretty easy game to analyze IF NDs OL can avoid getting smoked. And can pass protect effectively and slam the run up there for 2 yards and not get hit with -2 or -3 and stay somewhat on schedule.

ND will score points. Because plays are available to be made vs the Tigers Back 4 and Nickel & Dime D.

NDs Defense along with Fresno State are the only defenses in the Nation to give up 27 points or less in every game. So ND should not get fleeced for 40+.

We shall see what happens.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Its a pretty easy game to analyze IF NDs OL can avoid getting smoked. And can pass protect effectively and slam the run up there for 2 yards and not get hit with -2 or -3 and stay somewhat on schedule.

ND will score points. Because plays are available to be made vs the Tigers Back 4 and Nickel & Dime D.

NDs Defense along with Fresno State are the only defenses in the Nation to give up 27 points or less in every game. So ND should not get fleeced for 40+.

We shall see what happens.
That’s true but in 2012 the only team to score over 20 against us was Pitt, ( 26), and then Bama curbed sides us. So not sure it means that much. I still think we win by 3 but unlike others I think our D is solid but far from great.

I would argue that GA is probably Tier IIA since they have come so close to beating Alabama a couple of times. THEY are considered just below by quite a few and right there by others. THEN comes the next bunch that ND I would say now heads up.

You could, but 0-3 vs Bama isn't better than the rest of Tier 2.

and it's CLEMPSONING

and it's CLEMPSONING

But they have all been pretty close if I remember correctly and if this is supposedly Bama's best ever to come so close to knocking them off says a lot. That is why a lot of people put them right close to the top 3.

But they have all been pretty close if I remember correctly and if this is supposedly Bama's best ever to come so close to knocking them off says a lot. That is why a lot of people put them right close to the top 3.
Sure. But Michigan or Charlie Weis or Japan could similarly get their own tier for coming close.

That’s true but in 2012 the only team to score over 20 against us was Pitt, ( 26), and then Bama curbed sides us. So not sure it means that much. I still think we win by 3 but unlike others I think our D is solid but far from great.
yes because 2012 is certainly relevant to 2018....... good lord.

Reactions: francade
Half of me believes we will win. The other half says some kind of heart breaking loss. Weird vibe around this game for me. Don’t like it. Generally I’m very positive

Half of me believes we will win. The other half says some kind of heart breaking loss. Weird vibe around this game for me. Don’t like it. Generally I’m very positive
I took Clemson in my confidence pool with a low point designation. Will be taking ND plus the points for a tidy sum. may also tease them with the over in bama/okie.

I took Clemson in my confidence pool with a low point designation. Will be taking ND plus the points for a tidy sum. may also tease them with the over in bama/okie.

Good luck teasing that total. If you’re into teasers, check out “Wong teasers”, if you haven’t already

Good luck teasing that total. If you’re into teasers, check out “Wong teasers”, if you haven’t already
i'm pretty confident in that one but haven't put any money down yet. lots of games that interest me from a betting point of view though.

They used to say the same thing about Bobby Bowden and FSU over his first 17 years.

and it's CLEMPSONING
ND will be the team doing the "CLEMPSONING". They will stomp you. This is coming from a Gamecocks fan. I'd love to see ND win, but it won't happen. Prepare thine angus.

I thought CLEMPSONING referred to playing one game unlike the team has played throughout the entire season (not simply losing a game to a better opponent). Often the game is not nearly as hard as the others on the schedule.

The term was coined by Herbstriet in response to Clemson consistently defeating a highly ranked opponent only to follow it up with a loss to a shitty team the next week; that's what the term referred to - nothing about choking in big games. Secondly, in order to do it, you'd have to knock off a highly ranked opponent - something that a team on the rise does while it's learning to win. Lastly, rise of Clemson to its current position began with back to back wins vs. LSU and Georgia, followed by a drubbing of OU and an Orange Bowl win vs. Ohio State. By the time Clemson got to Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl they were already dominant.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT