ADVERTISEMENT

Clark Lea...

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
Best assistant coach of the Kelly era. Best d-coordinator since...? Alvarez?

For the second year in a row he shut out a Navy team that usually holds onto the ball, racks up the yards and scores a lot to points. Last year the game was over, 27-0 at halftime, this year it was 38-3. And this year's Navy team was supposed to be good -- ranked and dominating opponents. Remember, it hasn't always been easy vs. Navy (ask Disco and BVG)

Lea's defense nearly scored more than the offense and won the game vs Virginia. And kept us in games when the offense underperformed (VaTech).

Yes, they were absent vs. Michigan (but except for Clemson and that was as much about the lack of offense) Lea's defenses have been prepared, well-coached and damn tough. Say what you will about our schedule but Virginia, Louisville, VaTech, Michigan and even USC won yesterday (all will be 8-9 win teams)... all will play in bowl games...

This year has been impressive. We lost our best four players -- all but one getting real time in the NFL. Our best d-lineman, best two linebackers and our best CB.... Yet, we are still dominating.

PAY THE GUY! PAY THE GUY! DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO BUT INSURE HE COMES BACK TO ND!

We are losing a lot this year but in positions of strength and nothing like the talent we lost last year . Perhaps Lea can persuade Gillman and Crawford to come back! We have a chance to be an even better defense next year.

PAY THE GUY! Don't lose him to a team that will open their wallets for such an accomplished young d-coordinator.

True about recruiting... But Elston has been solid.... Lyght, not so much. Who got us Hamilton?! (That tackle for loss yesterday was an NFL play vs. a kid, I think, might play WR in the NFL.)

True about recruiting... But Elston has been solid.... Lyght, not so much. Who got us Hamilton?! (That tackle for loss yesterday was an NFL play vs. a kid, I think, might play WR in the NFL.)
Joseph and Lea according to Rivals.

Yes; read, react, speed and tackle were all on display with the play you refer to. He is one hell of an impressive freshman. Our defense has performed very well under Lea both years as our coordinator, but scheme and execution will only carry us so far. We need talent and Lea inherited a lot, and he damn well better figure this part of the job out soon; either upping his game or surrounding himself with a few elite recruiters who can coach.

Agreed: but I think we may have a sleeper class on D this year with Keannaaina, Botehlo, Mills, Offord, Bartleson, Lewis, -- you are right no Hamiltons on that list but Lea has proven that he knows how to develop talent.

I like that he plays to 2 groups on D. it keeps the D fresh through out the game. and gives backups starter game reps. that way when you lose guys to the nfl. the next group have playing exp. not raw guys who are trying to figure it out on the field.

I like the body types too on the edge rushers. I wish they could recruit more beef inside at the DL positions. I guess you can't have everything with the restrictions in the DL prospects that can get into school. with the Edge Rushers and the Secondary the Irish D is very good. BUT the beef in the middle would put them on par with the football factories imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT