ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Carr Elite 11

I believe there is a realistic chance Marcus Freeman will sign another Portal QB for 2024 rather than rely on the current QB room for 2024, which is Angeli, Minchey, and Carr. We will see.
Keep playing the portal game with qb's the ones we have may say see ya. Play what we have,

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Keep playing the portal game with qb's the ones we have may say see ya. Play what we have,
If at the end of the next 6 months Marcus Freeman believes that bringing in another one season Portal QB for 2024 makes the team better, so be it.

I’d gladly take another portal guy for 2024 if he’s a stud and Hartman level or just a depth guy. Otherwise it’s a head scratcher if we take some mediocre side. If you can get a Maye, then sure. If you can get a Sharpley, then sure. I don’t want a Drew Pyne stealing the younger guys thunder so we can go 8-4. If we need another portal guy for 2025 bc CJ and Kenny aren’t ready to go as sophomore and junior then at that point someone needs to be canned.

Ideally I’d like to see Angeli and Minchey ready to go by next season. I think if we need a portal guy for 2024 then we have to start asking why Kenny isn’t balling before the start of the 2024 season. He started in January. That would be be 17 months as a college QB before the start of the 2024 season. He should be okay given his pedigree. If we can gamble a season away with Buchner, Pyne and Steve, then surely we can do it with old man Steve, Kenny, and CJ.

My hope is the following. Battle between Angeli and Minchey going into the 2024 season. Don’t make a starter until the last second. Unless Kenny whoops him, Start Angeli and if he struggles, put in Kenny. Then you’d have 3 high quality QBs on scholarship for the 2024 season and no transfers. Make Kenny and Steve battle it out all season on the field. Redshirt CJ and keep him in the film room.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holycrossover3
Guess who just got home from California but is somehow in South Bend today recruiting his butt off for the 2024 class?

Reactions: Golson5
I’d gladly take another portal guy for 2024 if he’s a stud and Hartman level or just a depth guy. Otherwise it’s a head scratcher if we take some mediocre side. If you can get a Maye, then sure. If you can get a Sharpley, then sure. I don’t want a Drew Pyne stealing the younger guys thunder so we can go 8-4. If we need another portal guy for 2025 bc CJ and Kenny aren’t ready to go as sophomore and junior then at that point someone needs to be canned.

Ideally I’d like to see Angeli and Minchey ready to go by next season. I think if we need a portal guy for 2024 then we have to start asking why Kenny isn’t balling before the start of the 2024 season. He started in January. That would be be 17 months as a college QB before the start of the 2024 season. He should be okay given his pedigree. If we can gamble a season away with Buchner, Pyne and Steve, then surely we can do it with old man Steve, Kenny, and CJ.

My hope is the following. Battle between Angeli and Minchey going into the 2024 season. Don’t make a starter until the last second. Unless Kenny whoops him, Start Angeli and if he struggles, put in Kenny. Then you’d have 3 high quality QBs on scholarship for the 2024 season and no transfers. Make Kenny and Steve battle it out all season on the field. Redshirt CJ and keep him in the film room.
2024 Notre Dame opens at TAM. Record crowd of over 110,000 no doubt in College Station. Win the damn game.

Reactions: IrishMike409
If at the end of the next 6 months Marcus Freeman believes that bringing in another one season Portal QB for 2024 makes the team better, so be it.
In my opinion, that means he failed to either identify/recruit the right guy or develop him. Usually the best form of development comes with actually playing, even if it comes with some hard times. There will usually be a better/more refined player in the transfer portal who is more ready to play but giving up on the development of the guys you recruited is not ideal, especially given NDs limitations in the portal.

In my opinion, that means he failed to either identify/recruit the right guy or develop him. Usually the best form of development comes with actually playing, even if it comes with some hard times. There will usually be a better/more refined player in the transfer portal who is more ready to play but giving up on the development of the guys you recruited is not ideal, especially given NDs limitations in the portal.
Tell that to Nick Saban.

I agree with the majority of your post here. Only thing is I believe if the QB is truly elite, a redshirt year is a bit of a wash. If he’s great he’ll never stay for the 5th year anyway.

If we can’t get another Hartman in the portal, and Minchey & Angeli don’t have it, get Carr as many reps as possible regardless of redshirt status. Brings me back to Quinn & Clausen, those early reps their Fresh/Soph year were hard to watch but invaluable getting them ready for the future.

I agree with the majority of your post here. Only thing is I believe if the QB is truly elite, a redshirt year is a bit of a wash. If he’s great he’ll never stay for the 5th year anyway.

If we can’t get another Hartman in the portal, and Minchey & Angeli don’t have it, get Carr as many reps as possible regardless of redshirt status. Brings me back to Quinn & Clausen, those early reps their Fresh/Soph year were hard to watch but invaluable getting them ready for the future.
That means a Week 1 start @Texas AM.

And those freshman years w Quinn and Clausen, ND really was bad. I don’t think the program can afford a 6-win season….

Hope this kid or Kenny are ready to go for TAMU. Going to be hella tough.
I remember when Brian Kelly decided that Ian Book, in his third season, was not ready for game 1 Michigan at home, and went with senior Brandon Wimbush instead. Would not surprise me in the least to see Marcus Freeman do the same, go with a veteran portal QB in 2024, and win as many games as possible, including game 1 at TAM.

I remember when Brian Kelly decided that Ian Book, in his third season, was not ready for game 1 Michigan at home, and went with senior Brandon Wimbush instead. Would not surprise me in the least to see Marcus Freeman do the same, go with a veteran portal QB in 2024, and win as many games as possible, including game 1 at TAM.

Fine with me but who could it be?

He made a major mistake with 2022 qb resulting in needing a transfer for 23 and 24 season… don’t make the same mistake twice

Tell that to Nick Saban.
You mean we should have developed Buchner?? Couldn’t agree more. All of Sabans QBs have been recruited/developed: Bryce Young, Jalen Hurts, Tua, etc. You ok Sleepy Joe? All the LA extravaganzas got you delirious?

Reactions: Ndapolis1
You mean we should have developed Buchner?? Couldn’t agree more. All of Sabans QBs have been recruited/developed: Bryce Young, Jalen Hurts, Tua, etc. You ok Sleepy Joe? All the LA extravaganzas got you delirious?
Buchner can now go somewhere that a real OC can develop him like his new coach Tommy Rees, oh wait a minute. I got to think about this.

So still confused. I see final rankings from on three, from 247, but nothing from the elite 11 other than sayin was MVP. Does the elite 11 breakdown and rank each prospect?

Buchner can now go somewhere that a real OC can develop him like his new coach Tommy Rees, oh wait a minute. I got to think about this.
I wonder when some of these gomers are going to realize that some players simply CANNOT develop?

Buchner changed his throwing and it ruined him. Last place at Elite 11 was a huge red flag. His lack of touch and accuracy never got much better despite what many were saying. It sounds like Bama fans expect Milroe to start.

That is funny. What was he thinking. Bama has a bunch of five stars at QB

So still confused. I see final rankings from on three, from 247, but nothing from the elite 11 other than sayin was MVP. Does the elite 11 breakdown and rank each prospect?
No. Just put them in alphabetical order.

Cj nade the top 11 on all 3 rankings but elite 1 1 didnt rank it

That means a Week 1 start @Texas AM.

And those freshman years w Quinn and Clausen, ND really was bad. I don’t think the program can afford a 6-win season….
I certainly wasn’t suggesting to start Carr in the opener.

I was stating if we don’t take a transfer, and Angeli and Minchey are struggling and not going to lead us to a successful season, start the youngest guy with the highest upside for experience.

Not the same. Wimbush was recruited by ND and grew up in the system. A better comparison would be starting Angelli.

If CJ Carr had won the Elite 11.....how much wailing and gnashing of teeth would be going on about how other programs would then be out to poach him from Notre Dame? I don't care that he didn't win the soap box derby....it won't change a thing. People have been clamoring for years that ND has had second tier quarterbacks holding the program back. I don't think thats the case going forward.

Reactions: tbone3114
If CJ Carr had won the Elite 11.....how much wailing and gnashing of teeth would be going on about how other programs would then be out to poach him from Notre Dame? I don't care that he didn't win the soap box derby....it won't change a thing. People have been clamoring for years that ND has had second tier quarterbacks holding the program back. I don't think thats the case going forward.
"Some" people have been clamoring. In 2020 Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields playing QB for Notre Dame against Alabama...... the result would have been the same.

None. Because hes not going anywhere

"Some" people have been clamoring. In 2020 Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields playing QB for Notre Dame against Alabama...... the result would have been the same.
And in 15, 17, 18 we may have a chance to win the Title with them

You’re making that assessment after 5 starts in 2 years? Clearly ole Nick disagrees.

This is not true. Taking a depth piece does not mean Nick thinks he’s all that. Freeman would have loved to keep Buchner on the roster. We took a walk on QB this year. Buchner won’t start at Bama unless there are injuries.

Reactions: tbone3114
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT