ADVERTISEMENT

Chase Claypool

Pennick44

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
is an animal on special teams. Seemed like he made every tackle on coverage teams. Give him the Number 1 next week.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Great college defenses seem to have that 'animal' at safety. I like Studstill and think he will be a phenom with another 20-30lbs. Add in CC to the mix and ND could be scary-good with a little help from the d-line.

IIO knows the kid and watched him play in HS in Canada. IIO -- could Chase help us at Safety when we make our natty run in the next two years? Does he have the speed and instincts?

i'd be ok w/ this move. we are deep at the wr position and i remember him having a 3rd down drop. i know its just 1 play, but defense may be his higher long term ceiling

Reactions: Irish Grandeur
This kid is going to be the real deal at receiver. You could see the speed on the shovel pass. He's a taller better looking athlete than Michael Floyd.
I think his drop on Zaire was because he was too amped to try and take that ball to the house.
I think he's going to be awesome.
Denbrock found a diamond with this kid. I can't wait to see him more.

IIO knows the kid and watched him play in HS in Canada. IIO -- could Chase help us at Safety when we make our natty run in the next two years? Does he have the speed and instincts?
Do you know how far Abbottsford B.C. is from Ottawa ON. It's roughly equivalent to Syracuse to Seattle. Long trip to take in High School Games. Doncha think?

Gael,

I've seen him play a number of times, both during the Canada Cup circuit and several other recruiting events that Claypool attended in Ontario. I know he and his coaches personally because I was helping Jamie Barresi recruit him as All Canadian Ian Stewart's replacement at UOttawa before he blew up huge in the summer before his senior year and it was decided (rightfully so) that Chase would be U.S. bound. Who do yoy think were the people who got into Mike Denbrock's ear? It's a close knit football community up here.

Why aren't Claypool and Boykin getting more time and reps instead of that Chris Finke character?

As for Chase, at 6'4 and 220 and growing, I don't think we'll see him at SS if they do decide to move him. IIO has sung this kids praises for some time now, and apparently deservedly so. The kid has speed and athleticism, and skills to be a very good WR; but he has that aggressive attitude that we covet for defense. It will be interesting to see how he develops physically, as I could see him at WR or TE or WDE, depending on how he fills out. Against Nevada, he was our best Special Teams player.

As for Chase, at 6'4 and 220 and growing, I don't think we'll see him at SS if they do decide to move him. IIO has sung this kids praises for some time now, and apparently deservedly so. The kid has speed and athleticism, and skills to be a very good WR; but he has that aggressive attitude that we covet for defense. It will be interesting to see how he develops physically, as I could see him at WR or TE or WDE, depending on how he fills out. Against Nevada, he was our best Special Teams player.
Telx I don't think he is DE. He may not be "that" physical but he is going to be a special WR/TE . The TE position is a mess right now. Alize Jones really screwed this offense. Right now he is going to learn that WR position . St. Brown needs a quality backup and I think Chase brings another playmaker there . Next year ND will have Jones , Weisher and 2 incoming frosh AA's at TE and all the WR's return. "IF" the defense is a complete shit show by seasons' end look for guys like Chase and a few other talented players to move to the secondary in the Spring.

During the summer when Brian Kelly was in Toronto he and Chase subsequently were both quoted as WR for now and TE was mentioned but not defense. Not that he may not end up on D but I think there is concern and or optimism he may be still growing and that size may force him to more of an Tyler Eifert TE role which would not be a bad thing at all!

Kelly recruits guys based on profile (skill/big skill/power). Claypool definitely fits "big skill" -- and if i remember correctly -- these players can play TE/OLB/S in his program.

One of the things I like about BKs system is that he's not afraid to move guys around and has a knack for identifying where they would fit best and quickly developing them in their new role.

Onwualu took a similar route: Recruited as a WR, moved to OLB after making plays on special teams. Should be interesting to see how Claypool develops, there's a big hole left by Alize Jones as the receiving TE, and based purely on profile -- Claypool seems to fit there best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodizephax and VTND
NDCap, you may be right. Like I said, I think it will largely depend on how he fills out and team needs. Of course, the ultimate planned use may very well impact how he fills out, and visa versa. Regardless, seems we got a special talent and it will be interesting to see where he lines up next year.

Amazing to think what this team lost at WR this year. All our starters: Fuller, (who tore it up in his first game sunday), Brown, Carlilse, and sometime starters Robinson, and A Jones. Add the injury to Hunter and damn, we are green! We have real talent but we'll need to be patient as it develops... I believe Chase will be a piece of the puzzle.

Reactions: Telx1
We seem to have a lot of talent until we play top 5 teams. Fuller was the only great receiver last year. We seem to have a better corps of receivers this year although I am disappointed Miles Boykin is being excluded. A. Jones would have been great but would a should a could a.

Kelly recruits guys based on profile (skill/big skill/power). Claypool definitely fits "big skill" -- and if i remember correctly -- these players can play TE/OLB/S in his program.

One of the things I like about BKs system is that he's not afraid to move guys around and has a knack for identifying where they would fit best and quickly developing them in their new role.

Onwualu took a similar route: Recruited as a WR, moved to OLB after making plays on special teams. Should be interesting to see how Claypool develops, there's a big hole left by Alize Jones as the receiving TE, and based purely on profile -- Claypool seems to fit there best.
Really? Then let's see how long until Malik moves to another spot. He's way too talented to hold a clip board. And it's very evident while better than Golson, there are better QB's out there than Malik.

I think safety would be great but at this point I want him on the field anywhere.
Wimbush is #2 , Malik is emergency. That's my depth chart.

claypool is a freak...his success or demise is all on Kelly.
Finke is very good too.

Reactions: Irish Grandeur
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT