ADVERTISEMENT

Can Book throw a deep ball?

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
It seems like he has no touch on deep balls. 15-20 yard routs are solid and timing routs are good but not sure about deep touch.

Reactions: BGI User 348
It seems like he has no touch on deep balls. 15-20 yard routs are solid and timing routs are good but not sure about deep touch.

Should have definitely been 7. This is one of those games it appears Irish should absolutely win but better keep these stupid mistakes to a minimum or it's gonna be really interesting.

Book does not keep the deep ball in play. He has to trust his WRs to go up and get the ball.

He needed more air on the Fink throw. But the one to Boykin , why did he stop running’s? I think another deep throw the receiver didn’t have enough speed .

I would say about 225 and I’m not kidding. Book played average and we score 45, their secondary was lost on first down.

He still completed over 70% of his passes, I believe? He missed some deep throws that could have truly blown this game open early. That said, I think Wimbush really struggles against a team like V Tech. He can't read Ball States defense he sure as hell isn't going to make the right reads again the Hokies. Book is 10x better than Wimbush. No going back.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
He still completed over 70% of his passes, I believe? He missed some deep throws that could have truly blown this game open early. That said, I think Wimbush really struggles against a team like V Tech. He can't read Ball States defense he sure as hell isn't going to make the right reads again the Hokies. Book is 10x better than Wimbush. No going back.
I’m all in on book, but he played average at best. No clue ok wide open deep passes, but he runs the offense so well.

Take it easy, people. He threw a couple deep balls too early. My god, he’s still growing as a qb. Some of you don’t realize that perfection doesn’t happen w/ the best qbs of all time. He missed about 3 or 4 throws tonight. No big deal. He’s been a steady force for the offense. Take a deep breath, everyone. Book is a good one.

This is fine. We see where we need work. I hope this is worked on the next two weeks. If he would have hit those early throws, this would have been obscene.

Literally the 1 negative you can pull from that game.(against a Bud Foster defense on the road)

Reactions: Pennick4
I seem to recall he hit the deep balls in the other games? Step away from the keyboard and take a very deep breath. He did fine in the second half.

He threw the deep balls a little early. They will get this fixed in practice. He has a decent arm just has to be a little more patient.

does he need to throw it more than 35-40 yards to be effective?
seems fine to me.

Way,way better than average.
After the first drive I bought book was down right awful in the first half. Only book held Nd under 30 in the first half. Foster took away the short passes and we had guys running wide open all half in the second level and he missed them badly. Even missed claypool by a mile early in the second half. Once the run got going with Dex book started owning short passes. My point is if book played good this wouldn’t have been close at half.

After the first drive I bought book was down right awful in the first half. Only book held Nd under 30 in the first half. Foster took away the short passes and we had guys running wide open all half in the second level and he missed them badly. Even missed claypool by a mile early in the second half. Once the run got going with Dex book started owning short passes. My point is if book played good this wouldn’t have been close at half.
He did miss a couple of throws but his performance overall playing the position and running the offense was very good in my opinion. This entire team has been excellent in assignment discipline. You're not going to have perfect execution from any player at any position all game long but the discipline in attempting that execution has been nearly flawless all year. Few blown assignments at all through 6 games.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
Short answer yes. Longer answer is it isn't the strength of his game, it has always been known, but he is at least capable. Obviously we didn't see it against VT. But he's not as bad as the bad misses made it seem. Defenses will test his deep ball now, and he will have to be better.

My opinion is it's much like he is running the ball. He's not a running qb but he's very capable to the point of making the offense work. I think by the end of the year we will be saying he is not a deep ball attacking qb, but he's capable enough that he makes the rest of his game that he is very good at work.

I'll take Book's over throws that are incompletions over Wimbush's late 50-50 jump balls that high a likelihood of being momentum changing picks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT