ADVERTISEMENT

Bye week Fixes

Get Nasty

I've posted how many times?
Jul 26, 2006
1. Get healthy
2. Figure out QB situation STILL.. I personally think you go buchner with coan/pyne coming in if he's struggling or not healthy. Coans first 3 drives were so lack luster. If you play coan you have to speed everything up. He was awesome in the up tempo drives, but tech D was probably gassed.
3. Oline is probably solidified now with Alt, Krist, Patt, Cain, Lugg. They played better, especially with Buchner in. Tech has a good dline so they were tested and atmosphere was insane
4. Defense 3 down/prevent zone. Still horrendous, still doesn't work, why do we keep running it. Our players aren't being coached, just because you're in zone, you still have to cover someone.
5. Such sloppy tackling and contain vs a qb that clearly wanted to run. You dominate first and second down then have no clue how to prevent his 3rd down scrambling. Joke
6. 2nd corner. hart wasn't great this game especially tackling but Tech constantly went after bracy the most and lewis when he was in. Just terrible CB play opposite hart. Bracy had a pick. I don't know what the team can do but they have to find a 2nd corner.

Reactions: ftnfan62
1. Get healthy
2. Figure out QB situation STILL.. I personally think you go buchner with coan/pyne coming in if he's struggling or not healthy. Coans first 3 drives were so lack luster. If you play coan you have to speed everything up. He was awesome in the up tempo drives, but tech D was probably gassed.
3. Oline is probably solidified now with Alt, Krist, Patt, Cain, Lugg. They played better, especially with Buchner in. Tech has a good dline so they were tested and atmosphere was insane
4. Defense 3 down/prevent zone. Still horrendous, still doesn't work, why do we keep running it. Our players aren't being coached, just because you're in zone, you still have to cover someone.
5. Such sloppy tackling and contain vs a qb that clearly wanted to run. You dominate first and second down then have no clue how to prevent his 3rd down scrambling. Joke
6. 2nd corner. hart wasn't great this game especially tackling but Tech constantly went after bracy the most and lewis when he was in. Just terrible CB play opposite hart. Bracy had a pick. I don't know what the team can do but they have to find a 2nd corner.
Think you are spot on with the QB / Oline situation. A lot of people on this board already want to give up on Buchner without looking at the whole picture. As for the defense, felt like they have been playing with tired legs. Personally thought the secondary was just ok against VT. Probably the most important change is for our guys to get healthy and rested. That stretch was a brutal one.

Reactions: Kelso86
Think you are spot on with the QB / Oline situation. A lot of people on this board already want to give up on Buchner without looking at the whole picture. As for the defense, felt like they have been playing with tired legs. Personally thought the secondary was just ok against VT. Probably the most important change is for our guys to get healthy and rested. That stretch was a brutal one.
Buchner was brought in down 10-0 at virginia tech during a night game. He is a true frosh, playing in his first ever road game. He didn't play at FSU or vs Wisconsin. I repeat, he was brought in with ND down 10-0 in about as hostile of an environment as you can imagine, against a good D. You couldn't draw up a worse situation to bring him in. He led ND to 3 TD drives in the 2nd and 3rd quarter.

The good - Super athletic, ultimate competitor, good arm, not afraid of the moment. Tough, throws well downfield.

The bad - He clearly didn't trust himself when throwing into tight windows, especially short throws. His lack of accuracy on easy throws is the most concerning aspect of his game for me. Even simple rb screens. Misreads will happen with young wrs and QB, plus an oline that hasn't been great going against a good D in a crazy environment. He will improve on the mental side of the game no doubt! Can he become an accurate passer? That will determine if he's more like Wimbush or becomes a dynamic college QB that could win a CFP game?

This is a great thread. Lots to talk about.

Incredible that our LT is a 3* true freshman, who played TE in HS. Love Alt. How good can he be? Will Alt and Fisher be monster Tackles next season?

Buchner was brought in down 10-0 at virginia tech during a night game. He is a true frosh, playing in his first ever road game. He didn't play at FSU or vs Wisconsin. I repeat, he was brought in with ND down 10-0 in about as hostile of an environment as you can imagine, against a good D. You couldn't draw up a worse situation to bring him in. He led ND to 3 TD drives in the 2nd and 3rd quarter.

The good - Super athletic, ultimate competitor, good arm, not afraid of the moment. Tough, throws well downfield.

The bad - He clearly didn't trust himself when throwing into tight windows, especially short throws. His lack of accuracy on easy throws is the most concerning aspect of his game for me. Even simple rb screens. Misreads will happen with young wrs and QB, plus an oline that hasn't been great going against a good D in a crazy environment. He will improve on the mental side of the game no doubt! Can he become an accurate passer? That will determine if he's more like Wimbush or becomes a dynamic college QB that could win a CFP game?
Zero concern on his accuracy. He was inaccurate due to not having a clear grasp on the play book. You can see when he is confident with the play he is extremely accurate. Of the two picks he had, the pick 6 was a combination of poor route running, play calling and decision making. Why they chose to put him in that situation is beyond me. As for the 2 overthrows, those are easily corrected. The overthrow to diggs he just needed to set his feet and the dropped pick was, at least it seems, a case of him getting the ball out too early.

fully expect him to get better every week if Kelly starts him.

Reactions: Kelso86
My thought is that the QB situation rocks! This is quietly becoming a very memorable season in its own unique way, and as of today making the playoff absolutely remains a very real possibility and something we could achieve, and the QB situation, which everyone wants to freak out about, I think in a way is awesome!

The situation is what it is, and was always a little less than ideal having so many young QBs and bringing in a grad transfer.... But we managed to weather through it, and the true problem of course with this year's offense has been the rebuilding OL, and NOT the QB position as such. But the team is rallying, we're winning close game after close game, and the OL is actually beginning to come together a bit...

I just want us to take it week by week, and for all the QBs to have a mentality that we're just trying to get the win, and whoever gets the call simply has to stand and deliver. And in a sense there is no real starter. Next spring we'll find out who starts in 2022. So both Pyne and Buchner can relax and just take it one week at a time for the rest of the season. And for Coan, he's still having an exciting time, he's not regretting his transfer one bit....

The bye week couldn’t come at a better time. Tyree needs his toe to mend. Buchner needs his ankle to heal. Carmody and Baker need to be ready and available.

This is a great opportunity for the OL to build on their performance against VT. Alt and Kristofic significantly Improved play on the left side, and Kelly and Quinn seemingly lit a fire under Cain and Lugg as they played their best game of the year, both run blocking and pass protection.

Lewis is a major liability. We’ve read for a year now how Bracy lost confidence last year as a starter and lost his job to Lewis. His interception Saturday night playing corner was huge, and you could see that Hamilton and others were really excited for Bracy, and Bracy looked absolutely stoked. I think we’ll see Bracy back as a starter and one of the young guys, Henderson or Riley, playing in dime packages, etc…

I think you can make an argument for any one of our three QBs to start. Assuming the OL is now stable and they spend this bye week building on their play against VT, I fully expect Coan to be our starter, with two weeks working on an up tempo style right out of the gate. Given a clean pocket, he is our best passer by far; and the questions are whether this reconstructed OL can consistently give him the short term pocket he needs, and whether Coan can consistently make the necessary quick decisions before the pocket collapses. I think we’ll know the answers after our first two series. Buchner can only be successful if he passes often and successful enough to keep the defense honest. His running is elite for a QB and he can make Life easier for our receivers and running backs and OL, but only if he is a serious threat to pass. The VT game showed his Promise, but also that he has a lot to learn in reading the defense, and a lot of development needed in passing accuracy. I think Buchner benefits from an up tempo style as well. Pyne should be in the conversation, but I think he is odd man out in Kelly’s decision. Personally, I’d rather see Buchner and Pyne over Coan and Buchner.

I don’t know about anyone over Coan. When Coan
came those last few minutes, he was taking a three step back and getting rid of the ball quicker,
he also did a nice rollout. For that whole time frame Coan was a completely different and better
player. if he can get a quicker setup, release , and get more mobility, Coan may certainly be a completely different and improved player !

Reactions: Telx1
I don’t know about anyone over Coan. When Coan
came those last few minutes, he was taking a three step back and getting rid of the ball quicker,
he also did a nice rollout. For that whole time frame Coan was a completely different and better
player. if he can get a quicker setup, release , and get more mobility, Coan may certainly be a completely different and improved player !
Two things have been really really really obvious with this team but the coaches haven't completed changed.

Coan can't run a spread offense when it's running slow and letting the D just tee off on him as a statue. We have been saying this for weeks and finally they were forced into the situation to go tempo and it looked awesome

THe D 3 down dollar zone D is just awful, still is. Why is it in the playbook? It has failed in 6 games now in a row.

Did you only watch the last 3 minutes of the game?

Coan has been horrendous the first half of the last 3 games, he ended strong.

And Buchner can't throw a pass in either Half.

3rd and 5 plus he's a TO waiting to happen.

One trick pony right now with the RPO game .

Let him get better incrementally and play Coan or Pyne the majority of the game.

The notion that you cannot play 2 QB's is absurd. It is football "urban legend" right up there with "Defense Wins Championships". Heck the 1991 National Champion Washington Huskies, utilized Billy Joe Hobert and Mark Brunell as QB's. Hobert was the starter, but Brunell played in 8 games and the Rose Bowl.

The Gators and Spurrier upset the #1 ranked Seminoles in 1997, utilizing Doug Johnson and Noah Brindise. The bottom line is this, if Coan plays the whole game vs V-Tech, ND likely gets beat, if Buchner finishes the game vs V-Tech ND likely gets beat. Together they led ND to a victory.

Just like the current OC, and former ND QB by the name of Tommy Rees finished wins over Purdue, Michigan, and Stanford in 2012. Not to mention starting and winning a game vs BYU. I don't think anyone is more familiar and better equipped to handle this QB situation than Brian Kelly and Tommy Rees. Because they have lived it and were damn successful in handling it in 2012.

Reactions: hvillebill
And Buchner can't throw a pass in either Half.

3rd and 5 plus he's a TO waiting to happen.

One trick pony right now with the RPO game .

Let him get better incrementally and play Coan or Pyne the majority of the game.
Buchners the guy moving forward for me. But id have Coan or Pyne ready to go to help him along. We got to build around this kid. Hes the future

1. Get healthy
The defense could not set the edge against Burmeister. I think that cone as starter puts us in the hole, and he's better coming off the bench in relief. Again we don't see practice, so if the coaches feel that Tyler is a better pill to swallow then it needs to be Tyler. I was kind of disappointed Pyne didn't get to play. It seems when we play zone, our secondary allows too many completions. Someone forgot to tell the defensive line and linebackers that went to Virginia Tech quarterback scramble, he mostly scrambled to his right. We could have had a few more sat in my opinion. I think the bye week will solidify the offensive line, he'll some dings, and give Bucher lots of reps.

My thought is that the QB situation rocks! This is quietly becoming a very memorable season in its own unique way, and as of today making the playoff absolutely remains a very real possibility and something we could achieve, and the QB situation, which everyone wants to freak out about, I think in a way is awesome!

The situation is what it is, and was always a little less than ideal having so many young QBs and bringing in a grad transfer.... But we managed to weather through it, and the true problem of course with this year's offense has been the rebuilding OL, and NOT the QB position as such. But the team is rallying, we're winning close game after close game, and the OL is actually beginning to come together a bit...

I just want us to take it week by week, and for all the QBs to have a mentality that we're just trying to get the win, and whoever gets the call simply has to stand and deliver. And in a sense there is no real starter. Next spring we'll find out who starts in 2022. So both Pyne and Buchner can relax and just take it one week at a time for the rest of the season. And for Coan, he's still having an exciting time, he's not regretting his transfer one bit....
Nuts.

Buchners the guy moving forward for me. But id have Coan or Pyne ready to go to help him along. We got to build around this kid. Hes the future
Agree. His first pass to Austin was perfect for a TD (just short). He hit Davis deep. He had several excellent passes. He has a better deep ball than Coan from an accuracy. He is just not getting reps. He threw across his body for a pick. Big no no and his other he locked in on his man. Like Coan did at FSU. The O is just better with him. He missed easy short throws. He put up 21 of the 29. Coan came in for the win and that was huge. His 2pt conv was a prayer to the TE that Austin intercepted.

1. Get healthy
OLine was terrible in the first quarter

Agree. His first pass to Austin was perfect for a TD (just short). He hit Davis deep. He had several excellent passes. He has a better deep ball than Coan from an accuracy. He is just not getting reps. He threw across his body for a pick. Big no no and his other he locked in on his man. Like Coan did at FSU. The O is just better with him. He missed easy short throws. He put up 21 of the 29. Coan came in for the win and that was huge. His 2pt conv was a prayer to the TE that Austin intercepted.
Coan is far more accurate with the deep ball.

His receiver was wide open on his INT, and he’s a right handed passer running to his right.

He sailed that pass high over the receivers head.
Stop making bogus excuses.

Tell us, how did the OLine miraculously get better with Buchner ?

How were they on Coan’s last two drives ?

Buchner makes them honor the pass, run and RPO. Coan, they can stack the box and play man. They blitz and play man. The only one fooled when Coan goes RPO is Tommy

Coan is obviously a better passer overall at this stage but the O is one dimensional when he is in. Coan has missed countless times on deep balls. Yep, he has a few but I’m guessing here he is 20% over 30 yards?

No miracle needed. In football it’s can you call the right defense for that play. When every play is pass it makes it just a bit easier on the D and harder on the line. People run down hill. Do that with A mobile QB and you pay. Coan could get a 10 yard head start and pick up 10.5 yards.

I like the kid. I like anyone that does their best here. The O is just not built for a statue back there. It’s not what Tommy builds around.

Reactions: Golson5

I think the other side of this is that Buchner has probably a handful, maybe ten plays he runs consistently, that he's comfortable with. We probably saw all of them in the second quarter. As the game went on a d we went deeper into the playbook, he had less experience with the plays and it showed. This is why you play him and get him at least 50% of practice reps.

The bye week couldn’t come at a better time. Tyree needs his toe to mend. Buchner needs his ankle to heal. Carmody and Baker need to be ready and available.

This is a great opportunity for the OL to build on their performance against VT. Alt and Kristofic significantly Improved play on the left side, and Kelly and Quinn seemingly lit a fire under Cain and Lugg as they played their best game of the year, both run blocking and pass protection.

Lewis is a major liability. We’ve read for a year now how Bracy lost confidence last year as a starter and lost his job to Lewis. His interception Saturday night playing corner was huge, and you could see that Hamilton and others were really excited for Bracy, and Bracy looked absolutely stoked. I think we’ll see Bracy back as a starter and one of the young guys, Henderson or Riley, playing in dime packages, etc…

I think you can make an argument for any one of our three QBs to start. Assuming the OL is now stable and they spend this bye week building on their play against VT, I fully expect Coan to be our starter, with two weeks working on an up tempo style right out of the gate. Given a clean pocket, he is our best passer by far; and the questions are whether this reconstructed OL can consistently give him the short term pocket he needs, and whether Coan can consistently make the necessary quick decisions before the pocket collapses. I think we’ll know the answers after our first two series. Buchner can only be successful if he passes often and successful enough to keep the defense honest. His running is elite for a QB and he can make Life easier for our receivers and running backs and OL, but only if he is a serious threat to pass. The VT game showed his Promise, but also that he has a lot to learn in reading the defense, and a lot of development needed in passing accuracy. I think Buchner benefits from an up tempo style as well. Pyne should be in the conversation, but I think he is odd man out in Kelly’s decision. Personally, I’d rather see Buchner and Pyne over Coan and Buchner.
Good post. It was great to see Bracy get the int, but he also go abused on multiple plays.

The fact is and has been for 5 years. Top to bottom the cb room at Notre Dame is WAY behind where it needs to be. The second and third cb is the biggest reason we get destroyed by Clemson and Bama as they have the wrs and qbs to totally exploit them and have. Gotta recruit our way out of that.

Getting Carroll out of the LG spot made a huge difference. Alt played well as well, but I think he, Baker, carmody are similar...some good some bad. The LG spot has been a disaster since day 1.

Reactions: Telx1
Zero concern on his accuracy. He was inaccurate due to not having a clear grasp on the play book. You can see when he is confident with the play he is extremely accurate. Of the two picks he had, the pick 6 was a combination of poor route running, play calling and decision making. Why they chose to put him in that situation is beyond me. As for the 2 overthrows, those are easily corrected. The overthrow to diggs he just needed to set his feet and the dropped pick was, at least it seems, a case of him getting the ball out too early.

fully expect him to get better every week if Kelly starts him.
Yes. Coming out. 3rd and 6. Run QB run game. Punt if you do not convert. He was throwing to a true frosh as well. Kid did not compete on his route. Got manhandled by the CB.

Reactions: VTND

Your completely right on Lewis. Its hard to watch sometimes because it feels like he is in over his head. I think you start Bracy the rest of the year and give some young guys some reps. I also wouldn't hate if they moved Lewis to safety the rest of the year. He has good enough size and with his game experience, could help soften the blow if Hamilton leaves after this season. Just a thought though.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Your completely right on Lewis. Its hard to watch sometimes because it feels like he is in over his head. I think you start Bracy the rest of the year and give some young guys some reps. I also wouldn't hate if they moved Lewis to safety the rest of the year. He has good enough size and with his game experience, could help soften the blow if Hamilton leaves after this season. Just a thought though.
bracy other than pick might have been worse than Lewis. At least he did make 1 play though.

I think the other side of this is that Buchner has probably a handful, maybe ten plays he runs consistently, that he's comfortable with. We probably saw all of them in the second quarter. As the game went on a d we went deeper into the playbook, he had less experience with the plays and it showed. This is why you play him and get him at least 50% of practice reps.
This is why you give him 1st team reps in practice for 2 weeks because you see the potential and he needs the reps to become more comfortable with the playbook.

Pretty simple

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT