ADVERTISEMENT

Brey

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
I don't think anyone on this site disagrees with the fact that the guy can coach. 12 NCAA tournament appearances, two Elite Eight appearances, countless upsets and tournament championships. But after two elite eight runs, and an ACC win (imagine!), our inability to recruit elite players has resulted in zero depth -- and that is killing us. We've lost 18 straight to ranked teams. The last three years we are: 21-15 (loss in the NIT, second round,) 14-19, and I have a hard time seeing us win many ACC games going forward, we're currently dead last in the ACC and trending towards another losing season.

I just don't see any hope on the horizon... No program-changing recruits on the way. No enthusiasm nation-wide for this program. We need someone to go out and build that. It is being done at other midwestern programs similar to ND but creative recruiting is key and, face it, Brey's recruiting has been bad.

We all marveled at what he did with Conaughton and the rest a few years back, but it feels like it is time for new blood at Notre Dame. A young enthusiastic coach who can go out and get, if not one-and-doners, solid players who can not only compete, but win in CBB toughest conference.

I have been a Brey supporter for years and it paid off when he coached our smart/tough players to win or go deep into the ACC tourney or twice to the elite eight in the NCAA a few years ago. But that seems like a long time ago and I just don't see much hope on the horizon.

Maybe it is time.

Reactions: NDCap
Until they stop participating in the ACC this Rio continie

I’ve posted before that IMO Brey deserves to see this current crop of sophomores through their senior season and see if he can get us back to the dance ... we are a few shots away from being 14-2 and ranked 20-25 ... with a very young team. After that the Brey era should be over and we need some fresh energy. ND has a good hoops history lots of success but never can seem to get over the final hump ... this should be a good job.

Reactions: notredamerises23
I’ve posted before that IMO Brey deserves to see this current crop of sophomores through their senior season and see if he can get us back to the dance ... we are a few shots away from being 14-2 and ranked 20-25 ... with a very young team. After that the Brey era should be over and we need some fresh energy. ND has a good hoops history lots of success but never can seem to get over the final hump ... this should be a good job.

Okay, I'm with you. Looking at the roster, potentially (except for Flueger) this whole team could return next year. There are 4 seniors with a year of eligibility left, right? Do you believe they all come back? Two big kids coming in, but I don't expect them to contribute right away.

Brey made his living at ND coaching ball movement and not turning the ball over, pick and roll and always had a serviceable big man with good hands and ability to get to the hoop, and making free throws down the stretch. We are never going to get the dominant one and done big man but there are many ways to win a college basketball game. Someone to play offense around the basket is a big question mark after Mooney goes ... if he can solve that I believe they can be very good but no solution is apparent.

It's well past time for the Brey era to be over.
But since ND is not serious about competing in men's b-ball, he'll be around until he wants to retire.

It's well past time for the Brey era to be over.
But since ND is not serious about competing in men's b-ball, he'll be around until he wants to retire.
Would you propose outright firing or urging him to move aside or taking on a coach in waiting (like Purdue did with Keady and Painter)?
Who do you think we should target? Someone like Hurley? Someone more established? Maybe Brad Stevens on the rebound?

Would you propose outright firing or urging him to move aside or taking on a coach in waiting (like Purdue did with Keady and Painter)?
Who do you think we should target? Someone like Hurley? Someone more established? Maybe Brad Stevens on the rebound?
Hurley would be awesome!

He strung together a decade plus of awesome basketball dating back to Luke and the Big East. Back to back elite 8's and we should've beaten UK one of those years.

Basketball is a tough sport to be consistent in and the rebuilding process can take longer. Stay patient, Brey fits here and I don't see him leaving soon.

Though John B would fit here as well, I'd love to see that.

ND would never fire a coach like Brey who has such a long tenure, unless of course he was involved in a scandal of some sort. A "mutual parting of the ways" with profound gratitude for his service to the university is appropriate.
Of those coaches you mention, I would be happy if either Brad S or John B made ND their home when returning to college coaching. Beilein is older and closer to hanging it up, however.

Reactions: Kelso86
Brey made his living at ND coaching ball movement and not turning the ball over, pick and roll and always had a serviceable big man with good hands and ability to get to the hoop, and making free throws down the stretch. We are never going to get the dominant one and done big man but there are many ways to win a college basketball game. Someone to play offense around the basket is a big question mark after Mooney goes ... if he can solve that I believe they can be very good but no solution is apparent.

Mike Brey asst from 2006 Gene Cross was responsible for bringing ball/player movement to ND. Brey didn't know what that was before Cross got there. We had the most stagnant offense ever. Literally 4 guys spread out along the 3 point line throwing the ball back and forth with one big flowing back and forth in the paint. Cross saved Brey's job. Then Cross was hired away. Still has more head coaching offers at ND than Brey as a result.

I know this thread is about Brey, but I think it's time for Notre Dame to move on from not only Brey, but also Kelly and Swarbrick. Each of these men has had a tremendous impact on Notre Dame in their current roles, but it's a new decade. It's time to move the athletic program forward and to do that, the program needs new blood. Notre Dame needs a new AD to hire new, younger coaches in the football and basketball programs, and maybe other sports as well (not women's basketball obviously). My choice for AD is Stan Wilcox. A Domer with a lot of experience now working for the NCAA. An African-American which would also be a first in that position at ND I believe. A forward thinker. I'm not knocking Jack, Brian or Mike's contributions to the university. They have accomplished a great deal, but they have gone as far as they can go in their current positions. Time to move on.

Mike Brey asst from 2006 Gene Cross was responsible for bringing ball/player movement to ND. Brey didn't know what that was before Cross got there. We had the most stagnant offense ever. Literally 4 guys spread out along the 3 point line throwing the ball back and forth with one big flowing back and forth in the paint. Cross saved Brey's job. Then Cross was hired away. Still has more head coaching offers at ND than Brey as a result.
You and Cross knew how to run offense but Brey did not. Amazing Cross gave away his big secret weapon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT