ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl season

kev2225

Future coach
Jan 1, 2007
I checked out the entire list of bowl matchups, including ours, and I just can't get excited about any of them except the two playoff games. Anyone else feel the same way? The bowls have lost so much luster over the years. And sorry, even though I love my Irish, playing against Iowa State just seems like a mid-season filler game. Ugh.

I checked out the entire list of bowl matchups, including ours, and I just can't get excited about any of them except the two playoff games. Anyone else feel the same way? The bowls have lost so much luster over the years. And sorry, even though I love my Irish, playing against Iowa State just seems like a mid-season filler game. Ugh.
It's all these stupid conference tie-ins to ensure that conferences don't miss out on any money. Every year there are exciting matchups that dont happen cuz of this.

Why don't we an ND vs. Mich/UGA rematch? An Auburn-Bama/Oregon rematch? Florida vs. PSU? Baylor vs. Utah? Minnesota vs. Memphis? Those are all better matchups in my opinion.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
fans should vote on Bowl matchups!
or
go by rankings! 1234 in playoffs and after that
5 vs 6
7 vs 8
9 vs 10
till the last 2 teams in the Futility Bowl

fans should vote on Bowl matchups!
or
go by rankings! 1234 in playoffs and after that
5 vs 6
7 vs 8
9 vs 10
till the last 2 teams in the Futility Bowl
Yes. Eliminate the conference tie ins.
Seed the bowls.
Make either the Outback or Citrus Bowl a Group of 5 Championship. Imagine Boise vs Memphis this year.

This is the yearly complaining about too many meaningless bowl games? Yet people keep watching and they keep making money, so they aint going anywhere....

I will watch everyone with a vested interest lol.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
These are the last 41 games of the college football season so I'll watch some of each game. TV generally is worthless, forget the NFL, NBA, Major League baseball, Hockey, Nascar, golf, college basketball, and tennis. Once the bowl season ends I've got the triple crown races, the Hallmark movies, NSD, spring football, and my computer. OMG:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: nemeth#5
Rose Oregon vs Ohio State
Sugar LSU vs Wisconsin
Orange Clemson vs Oklahoma
Cotton Baylor vs Memphis
Fiesta Penn State vs Georgia

Under the old bowl system we'd have some good matchups. The only downside is finding an opponent for the SEC in the Sugar Bowl. But historically the SEC batted .500 in the Sugar despite not facing a conf champion.

In the actual era the Cotton would snub Memphis and invite ND.

I’m not saying I won’t be watching, but nothing really jumps off the page other than a few. Too many of them, imho. Totally watered down.

Do the lower tier bowls featuring 6-6 teams even make any money for the NCAA? Anyone know?
Yes they do...
Bahamas
$225,000 12/20/19
Charlotte (7-5) vs. Buffalo (7-5)
Frisco
$650,000 12/20/19
Utah State (7-5) vs. Kent State (6-6)
New Mexico
$1,050,000 12/21/19
San Diego State (9-3) vs. *-Central Michigan (8-5)
Cure Bowl
$573,125 12/21/19
*-Liberty (7-5) vs. Georgia Southern (7-5)
Boca Raton
$900,000 12/21/19
FAU (10-3) vs. SMU (10-2)
Camellia
$300,000 12/21/19
Arkansas State (6-6) vs. *-FIU (6-6)
Las Vegas
$2,900,000
Boise State (12-1) vs. Washington (7-5)
New Orleans
$825,000
*-Appalachian State (12-1) vs. UAB (9-4)
Gasparilla
$1,125,000 12/23/19
UCF (9-3) vs. Marshall (8-4)
Hawai'i
$1,200,000
BYU (7-5) vs. Hawaii (9-5)
Independence
$2,200,000
Miami, FL (6-6) vs. *-Louisiana Tech (9-3)
Quick Lane Bowl
$2,000,000
*-Eastern Michigan (6-6) vs. Pittsburgh (7-5)
Military
$2,066,990
North Carolina (6-6) vs. Temple (8-4)
Pinstripe
$4,400,000
Michigan State (6-6) vs. Wake Forest (8-4)
Texas
$6,400,000
Oklahoma State (8-4) vs. Texas A&M (7-5)
Holiday
$6,532,700
Iowa (9-3) vs. USC (8-4)
Cheez-It
$1,625,560
Washington State (6-6) vs. *-Air Force (10-2)
Camping World
$6,071,760
Notre Dame (10-2) vs. Iowa State (7-5)
Cotton
Playoff Revenue Pool
Memphis (12-1) vs.Penn State (10-2)
Peach - Playoff Semifinal
Playoff Revenue Pool
LSU (13-0) vs. Oklahoma (13-0)
Fiesta - Playoff Semifinal
Playoff Revenue Pool
Ohio State (13-0) vs. Clemson (13-0)
Orange
Playoff Revenue Pool
Virginia (9-4) vs. Florida (10-2)
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl
$824,545
*-Western Michigan (7-5) vs. Western Kentucky (8-4)
Redbox
$3,600,000
Illinois (6-6) vs. California (7-5)
Music City
$5,700,000
Louisville (7-5) vs. Mississippi State (6-6)
Belk
$4,780,461
Virginia Tech (8-4) vs. Kentucky (7-5)
Sun
$4,550,000
Arizona State (7-5) vs. Florida State (6-6)
Liberty
$4,700,000
Kansas State (8-4) vs. *-Navy (9-2)
Arizona
$350,000
Wyoming (7-5) vs. Georgia State (7-5)
Alamo
$8,252,740
Texas (7-5) vs. Utah (11-2)
Outback
$6,400,000
Auburn (9-3) vs. Minnesota (10-2)
Citrus
$8,224,578
Michigan (9-3) vs. Alabama (10-2)
Rose
Playoff Revenue Pool
Wisconsin (10-3) vs. Oregon (11-2)
1 Sugar
Playoff Revenue Pool
Georgia (11-2) vs. Baylor (11-2)
3 TicketSmarter Birmingham
$1,374,545
*-Boston College (6-6) Cincinnati (10-3)
Gator Bowl
$5,350,000
Tennessee (7-5) vs. Indiana (8-4)
Famous Idaho Potato
$800,000
Nevada (7-5) vs. Ohio (6-6)
Armed Forces
$1,350,000
*-Southern Miss (7-5) vs. *-Tulane (6-6)
2 Lending Tree
$1,500,000
Miami, O (8-5) vs. Louisiana (10-3)
CFP Championship
Playoff Revenue Pool

I’m really hoping they lose $ because of this unbelievably pathetic bowl season. I canceled espn and probably won’t watch a single game except ND and the playoffs. I was going to buy tickets to the Texas matchup, but now I’ll probably forget the games even on. I think it has zero bearing on next season and therefore couldn’t really care less. At least Texas was a blue blood program matchup and would be a sexy T-shirt. I don’t want ISU on my T-shirt. Merp. I know about 100 other ND fans that said the same thing, merp. That stadium is going to be empty unless they drop ticket prices and let all the drunken slugs in off the streets.

I'm definitely watching ND. You couldn't drag me away from that game. I don't care if it's Iowa State, a very mediocre "blue blood", a senior citizen home, or the Illinois State Home for the Tall. I'm watching. I'll find some games to watch because it's college football, the greatest spectacle on Earth. Others I will tune in and maybe stick around, maybe not. I'm good like that.

Reactions: napy2121
I'm definitely watching ND. You couldn't drag me away from that game. I don't care if it's Iowa State, a very mediocre "blue blood", a senior citizen home, or the Illinois State Home for the Tall. I'm watching. I'll find some games to watch because it's college football, the greatest spectacle on Earth. Others I will tune in and maybe stick around, maybe not. I'm good like that.
I'm with you Toby. I don't get some of these fans here. If ND is playing then my wife and I are watching the game.

Reactions: napy2121
Yes. Eliminate the conference tie ins.
Seed the bowls.
Make either the Outback or Citrus Bowl a Group of 5 Championship. Imagine Boise vs Memphis this year.

That will never happen. The bowls love the safety of having conference tie ins. They are never going back to the wild west of the 1970s where every bowl was bidding against one another.

I wish there were more bowls man nothing better than taking time off work around the holiday and having football to watch (and maybe even wager on) every day. Great time of year, love football!

Reactions: Syd4ND
This whole bowl thing should be fun, not stressful. Bring out the wings, pizza, pot roast sandwiches, brewskis, Pico and chips. Let's watch some college football. You are the Captain of your ship. You decide how many bowls you want to watch and what bowls you want to watch. It's your call.There's no right or wrong answer.

As a kid I remember watching the Bluebonnet Bowl on New Years Eve. I seem to remember (or I want to remember) the game being played with the first half before midnight and the 2nd half after midnight ie the new year. Does anyone rember this or am I just plan wrong?

That will never happen. The bowls love the safety of having conference tie ins. They are never going back to the wild west of the 1970s where every bowl was bidding against one another.
It's not bidding. It's seeds. Each bowl is allotted a rank matchup. If there is a crossover they get the next highest ranked team.

It's not bidding. It's seeds. Each bowl is allotted a rank matchup. If there is a crossover they get the next highest ranked team.

is ND fixed in their ACC rank or do we have a clause where a bowl can pick us if we are within one win of the team ahead of us?

I was talking about how the bowls operated in the 70's. There were no seeds. A top bowl might offer 7-0 Penn State, the Nitts might accept, and then go on to lose their final 3 regular season games. It was chaos.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT