ADVERTISEMENT

BK--and fans--blindsided by AS?

BGI User 348

I've posted how many times?
Aug 29, 2003
Pennsylvania
AS=academic support. deja vu all over again. Why would BK have just said all is good a few days ago if Alize was in trouble? And more importantly WHY would he be in trouble taking summer classes??? This is just an unacceptable situation and must be improved for ND to WIN another NC!!!

GET BETTER AS!!!

Reactions: ebeamish
AS=academic support. deja vu all over again. Why would BK have just said all is good a few days ago if Alize was in trouble? And more importantly WHY would he be in trouble taking summer classes??? This is just an unacceptable situation and must be improved for ND to WIN another NC!!!

GET BETTER AS!!!
I suspect that grades from the summer school session were just released. Jones likely had a grade he needed to get, and was expected to get, to remain eligible. I guess we can assume he didn't get the grade he needed.

As to Kelly, probably no more complicated than the program being confident that Jones would get the needed grade. Maybe he bombed a final, maybe he was telling everyone he was doing fine when he wasn't, who knows. They're teenagers.

First, his grades are none of our business. It's not Kelly's job to keep us informed about a student's personal information.
Second, the standards he needed were posted on the other thread. They were VERY easy. Him not meeting them is all on him.

This is still a university with students. Just because you think you are entitled to know everything that happens doesn't make it so. They don't have to tell us a thing. They could have just showed up in Austin without Jones & not told us a thing. We are fans, that is all.

First, his grades are none of our business. It's not Kelly's job to keep us informed about a student's personal information.
Second, the standards he needed were posted on the other thread. They were VERY easy. Him not meeting them is all on him.

This is still a university with students. Just because you think you are entitled to know everything that happens doesn't make it so. They don't have to tell us a thing. They could have just showed up in Austin without Jones & not told us a thing. We are fans, that is all.

Yeah, that'd go over well.

Beat reporter: "Hey human jelly bean, how come Jones isn't getting first team reps?"

Porky: "Uh, oh, umm, well, uh, oh, um, players need to execute better..."

Reactions: Howard Hall 74

This is still a university with students. Just because you think you are entitled to know everything that happens doesn't make it so. They don't have to tell us a thing. They could have just showed up in Austin without Jones & not told us a thing. We are fans, that is all.[/QUOTE]

ABSOLUTELY correct.

but Coach Kelly did share information about the team.
and
these are his players, his concern, and he has to be a 'watchman'; but Kelly is a very strong manager of programs, someone in the support food chain let him down.

If you recruit kids with the 'notion of academic supports in place' to almost guarantee success, then one might argue with the idea the coach (or more accurately the staff) is 'not responsible'. That is not something you use as a recruiting tool! "once enrolled, we wash our hands in your academic effort"!

In the end ND lost one of it's elitish players; a key player at the eleventh hour! Clearly there is at minimum a communications disconnect between the 'academia's' and the athletics. Everyone is not on the same page.

Beat reporter: "Hey human jelly bean, how come Jones isn't getting first team reps?"

you are a sad and pathetic man. help is out there but you need to ask for it. don't be proud.

and
these are his players, his concern, and he has to be a 'watchman'; but Kelly is a very strong manager of programs, someone in the support food chain let him down.

If you recruit kids with the 'notion of academic supports in place' to almost guarantee success, then one might argue with the idea the coach (or more accurately the staff) is 'not responsible'. That is not something you use as a recruiting tool! "once enrolled, we wash our hands in your academic effort"!

In the end ND lost one of it's elitish players; a key player at the eleventh hour! Clearly there is at minimum a communications disconnect between the 'academia's' and the athletics. Everyone is not on the same page.
when did he become "elitish " ? he has great potential but he is far removed from an elite level at this point in his career.

you are a sad and pathetic man. help is out there but you need to ask for it. don't be proud.

Brian-kelly-screaming-4.jpg

and

PERS----Yep I agree. This is NOT the first time there has been an academic "surprise". If it was easy to get the grade but essential to get it---then was he in study hall every night during the summer to pass, or tutored???? etc etc. All we fans care about is seeing the best team on the field. What athletes & parents & ND care about is a record of academic success.

JUST DO IT ND!!!!

Still laughing..."human jelly bean", "Porky". - Need to get one of those tight fitting sweater/shirts he wears. Oh, is that XXXL and still tight?

Still laughing..."human jelly bean", "Porky". - Need to get one of those tight fitting sweater/shirts he wears. Oh, is that XXXL and still tight?

Seriously, does he borrow his outfits from hillary? I mean for goodness sakes this is a few inches short of a pants suit. The Chiquita banana outfit is bad enough.... Did he really need to add that silly "helmet"? Safety first, what an insufferable unfunny putz....

buhnz5kieaajxh6.jpg

[

yep, look the Head Coach cannot be everywhere all th time! he has a staff who has a staff who have support, so someone is fubar!
Kelly probably is pissed and perplexed all at the same time! He should be!

Last edited:
yep, look the Head Coach cannot be everywhere all th time! he has a staff who has a staff who have support, so someone is fubar!
Kelly probably is pissed and perplexed all at the same time! He should be!

Another self inflicted "wound"... Cue up the 2016 ND football excuse machine....

Please note that this sweater does not have an ND or other logo. I think he saw some chick from Walsh wearing one and thought it would look good on him.

B9316642343Z.1_20150317181637_000_GM8A8HCBN.1-0.jpg

PERS----Yep I agree. This is NOT the first time there has been an academic "surprise". If it was easy to get the grade but essential to get it---then was he in study hall every night during the summer to pass, or tutored???? etc etc. All we fans care about is seeing the best team on the field. What athletes & parents & ND care about is a record of academic success.

JUST DO IT ND!!!!
So, in other words, you don't care about whether or not the players get an education? Spoken by someone who probably never saw the inside of a college classroom.

This is COLLEGE football; not the NFL.

Reactions: greengael

JUST DO IT ND!!!!
You sound like a perfect sec fan

Reactions: Ara64 and greengael
bill & 44....sorry you are dead wrong. I played 4 years at a top academic institution, took a hard major, graduated & had great success........BUT.....I was NOT at ND and yes I had a lot of personal pride & initiative. Sadly not all ND players have those same attributes....BUT since they are playing at ND and MILLIONS depend on them staying eligible ND pays STAFF---so called academic support---good salaries & benefits TO KEEP ATHLETES ELIGIBLE and on track to graduate. This cannot be BK's job----as it is not sec HC's jobs either. And yes I love seeing RKG's succeed as ND grads...BUT that is up to them. At the end of the day ALL I really care about is ND FOOTBALL SUCCESS! IMO the AS staff is FAILING big-time.

GET BETTER ND!!!!!

bill & 44....sorry you are dead wrong. I played 4 years at a top academic institution, took a hard major, graduated & had great success........BUT.....I was NOT at ND and yes I had a lot of personal pride & initiative. Sadly not all ND players have those same attributes....BUT since they are playing at ND and MILLIONS depend on them staying eligible ND pays STAFF---so called academic support---good salaries & benefits TO KEEP ATHLETES ELIGIBLE and on track to graduate. This cannot be BK's job----as it is not sec HC's jobs either. And yes I love seeing RKG's succeed as ND grads...BUT that is up to them. At the end of the day ALL I really care about is ND FOOTBALL SUCCESS! IMO the AS staff is FAILING big-time.

GET BETTER ND!!!!!
Well, then count me as being corrected. If you are in fact a college grad then you should value academics. However, you said "All we fans care about is seeing the best team on the field. What athletes & parents & ND care about is a record of academic success". That is the comment to which I was responding.

As for the staff having failed in this situation? The young man took responsibility for not having met his obligations. That is what all people should do when they make mistakes - not blame others.

The staff cannot do their homework. They cannot take the tests. They can work with the students on their classes but ultimately it's on the student/athlete to get the job done.

Alize will be a better man for this.

Last edited:

GET BETTER ND!!!!!

It's strange to me that someone who is so conservative that he harps on personal responsibility all the time would blame academic failures not on a particular student, but on academic support staff.

Academic support can't writer papers for students; they can't take tests for students. At some point, it's up to the student to get the job done.

Reactions: greengael

JUST DO IT ND!!!!

This whole "surprise" thing is just silly. The kid took a summer class, possibly because he had some academic issues in prior semesters. The academic support staff likely worked with him but, in the end, he was the one that had to take the test. If he failed the test, he failed. Tutors can only help so much. It may have been a surprise that he failed a test but I suspect it wasn't a surprise to either BK or the academic support staff that he was having academic difficulties.

Again, what do you expect BK and the staff to do? This isn't North Carolina.

GET BETTER ND!!!!!
Couple of things
"Millions depend on them staying eligible..." Don't agree with that whatsoever. He let down himself and those connected to the football program. The players don't play for you and I.
Doubt ND pays academic support "good salaries...." Pay is relative but doubt they are making anywhere near 6 figures.
We had the resident star gazing boob actually ask why the professor didn't call Coach Kelly? That's a complete joke. This comes down to personal responsibility.

It's strange to me that someone who is so conservative that he harps on personal responsibility all the time would blame academic failures not on a particular student, but on academic support staff.

Academic support can't writer papers for students; they can't take tests for students. At some point, it's up to the student to get the job done.

he didn't say that; but you posting he did will likely acerbate matters for the OP and his subsequent comment. Re-read the thread.
What he was saying was that there was a breakdown in the support system and communication system. Nowhere did he absolve the student from his responsibilities. 2 wrongs: failure. How do we know this? The results.

Last edited:
Seriously, does he borrow his outfits from hillary? I mean for goodness sakes this is a few inches short of a pants suit. The Chiquita banana outfit is bad enough.... Did he really need to add that silly "helmet"? Safety first, what an insufferable unfunny putz....

buhnz5kieaajxh6.jpg
You are a low life! Go back to rooting for Michigan!

^ I am not sure what cvgr's motivation is.
But us 'ole farts' who are long in the tooth need Kelly to get the job done; we can't wait through another rebuilding till ND finds a HC!
It is now or never.

Kelly is going to get it done. He is the best coach we have had since Lou walked the sidelines.

Kelly is going to get it done. He is the best coach we have had since Lou walked the sidelines.

That's an incredibly high bar!

Do you think he's figured out the difference between and 11 or 12 point lead yet or when he should go for 2?

"After a touchdown early in the fourth quarter cut Clemson's lead to 12, the call to go for two had a huge impact on how Notre Dame's 24-22 loss ..."

"The first decision involved Kelly going for two when the Irish were up by 11 in the fourth quarter. The two-point attempt failed, allowing Northwestern to tie the game with a touchdown, two-point conversion and field goal."

usa-today-8192775.0.jpg

Having an issue with academic standards tells me that all you care about is the football -- not the lives of the young men and the principles ND stands for.

If all you care about is the football product, why not root for a team that only worries about the football and not the academics and character? There are plenty to choose from.

Sigh......IMO ND deserves a top AS staff. A staff that tracks class attendance, class performance, study halls, tests, papers, assigns tutors, works on schedules, motivates students for academic success, gives prelim tests.....everything LEGAL to help Student-athletes succeed and graduate! With all of the above in place I would expect EVERY motivated ND athlete to stay eligible. If they are NOT doing their job in the classroom then the coaches should kick butt. Anyone that still falls short probably does not want to be at ND......and should transfer.

Is ND's AS unit doing their BEST?????

GET BETTER!!!

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111

buhnz5kieaajxh6.jpg
you should hope to look as good.

That's an incredibly high bar!

Do you think he's figured out the difference between and 11 or 12 point lead yet or when he should go for 2?

"After a touchdown early in the fourth quarter cut Clemson's lead to 12, the call to go for two had a huge impact on how Notre Dame's 24-22 loss ..."

"The first decision involved Kelly going for two when the Irish were up by 11 in the fourth quarter. The two-point attempt failed, allowing Northwestern to tie the game with a touchdown, two-point conversion and field goal."

usa-today-8192775.0.jpg
a fine coach.top 15.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT