ADVERTISEMENT

BIG 10 looking to add 4 schools

In a 20 team conference, each team will play less than half the conference members in a season. Some competitors will be good, others not so much. It is hard to see why TV ratings should go out the roof. TV networks bidding on marquee non-conference matchups could have been tailored to provide more revenue to the best teams willing to play the best teams.

If we join the BIG, we will have a schedule much like ND had as an independent when I went to school there in the 1960's. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
ND will stay independent until the landscape turns into a two conference look,

AFC vs NFC style with divisions. Just like the NFL

ND will stay independent until the landscape turns into a two conference look,

AFC vs NFC style with divisions. Just like the NFL
I've seen this prediction in a few different places. Wouldn't this type of change go against the most powerful force driving all of this, which is money? The current expansions have generally provided more money for the expanding conferences, or at least kept them even on a per-school basis. The schools they have left to add would dilute the money base, though. My guess is that the B1G and SEC are both actually hoping that the current ACC & Big 12 stay intact so that they can enjoy their $$$ advantages as long as possible. They might even be willing to adjust their OOC scheduling philosophies to help preserve the status quo in the ACC & Big 12.

Reactions: tbonesays
Sure we can schedule Vandy, Indiana and Rutgers. Forget Michigan, USC and others. You are such an idiot.
That's your opinion. Based nothing on facts. We'll have plenty of options to make a competitive schedule. You're a little baby. Stop crying and man up

Reactions: sluggo69
Two ways nd joins a conference is if they can’t go to the playoffs without winning a conference. So far, it seems we can get in without being in one.

The other is enough $. It’s all nd cares about nowadays (fattening the checks of the admins). But it’ll have to be epic $.
Lol, swing and a miss as usual

Seems to be that ND had/has some significant upsides in terms of $$ if they join a conference.

And you have been complaining (under all your handles) about ND needing to spend more money on the football program

You have all sides covered

B1G is talking about a 13 game conference schedule and I expect SEC and maybe B12 follows suit. How would no access to the major conferences be a National Schedule? No more USC, Michigan, Georgia. It will be what is equivalent to G5 teams only…
Okie dokie

Lol, swing and a miss as usual

Seems to be that ND had/has some significant upsides in terms of $$ if they join a conference.

And you have been complaining (under all your handles) about ND needing to spend more money on the football program

You have all sides covered

I said enough $ dummy. Everyone has a price. I don’t think they’ll join a conference just like I do not think they’ll be given $100 billion.

We don’t need more $ to spend on the program. We already have more than anyone else.

• Haha
Reactions: bluehair666
No they weren't. Oklahoma, A&M, Oklahoma St, and Colorado were all considering leaving, along with Texas.

If it was because of Texas, then those other schools would be trying to get away from Texas, not go with Texas.
It was because of Texas when they launched their Longhorn network. That rubbed the rest of the conference members the wrong way as it gave them additional revenue signing their own media rights deal outside of the conference.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
No they weren't. Oklahoma, A&M, Oklahoma St, and Colorado were all considering leaving, along with Texas.

If it was because of Texas, then those other schools would be trying to get away from Texas, not go with Texas.

I know Nebraska left because of Texas holding all the cards
@topdecktiger We were talking about Nebraska and Mizzou. UTexas was destabilizing the Big12 by looking around for greener pastures and plotting to take some but not all the Big12 schools to the PAC10. Nebraska and others would have been crazy not to flee a conference that was about to sink.

Only after ESPN offered UT the LHN did Texas claim that it would 'save' the Big12. I don't know why any school would turn down a promotion out of that environment.

True, the schools that left the Big12 in 2011 did not find football success but they weren't really having any at that point either. Nebraska et al seem to peak at winning a division and losing the conf championship game.

@topdecktiger We were talking about Nebraska and Mizzou. UTexas was destabilizing the Big12 by looking around for greener pastures and plotting to take some but not all the Big12 schools to the PAC10. Nebraska and others would have been crazy not to flee a conference that was about to sink.

Only after ESPN offered UT the LHN did Texas claim that it would 'save' the Big12. I don't know why any school would turn down a promotion out of that environment.

True, the schools that left the Big12 in 2011 did not find football success but they weren't really having any at that point either. Nebraska et al seem to peak at winning a division and losing the conf championship game.
I know that. Nebraska and Colorado left because Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma St and A&M were considering leaving the Big 12 for the Pac 12. Plus, Missouri was considering the Big Ten.

Nebraska and Colorado didn’t want to get left behind, so they left before that happened.

Nah. There will be plenty of programs that will schedule us ever year.

Guaranteed Sold out stadiums, national tv exposure

Scheduling games will be easy
I travel all around the different conferences fan bases and there's a lot of smoke that all of the conferences are - especially the SEC and Big Ten - loading up their members with strictly conference games in the next couple of years. Not sure what the Big 12 plans are but all of this makes sense with the CF conferences getting bigger and bigger.

The point is, sure ND will find other schools to schedule as an independent but what will the quality of those schools be ?

I travel all around the different conferences fan bases and there's a lot of smoke that all of the conferences are - especially the SEC and Big Ten - loading up their members with strictly conference games in the next couple of years. Not sure what the Big 12 plans are but all of this makes sense with the CF conferences getting bigger and bigger.

The point is, sure ND will find other schools to schedule as an independent but what will the quality of those schools be ?
Let's just pretend that happens and for some reason the Big2 don't want popular games. Would our November schedule really be worse than backfill with ACC or Big East teams as was true since the 90s? It is not believable that the big conferences would take schools like Pitt, Syracuse, and Baylor and then not allow them to schedule Marquee games.

True but they went from being a Lord to barely an Esquire.

IMO, two bad hires. Bo Pelini was embarrassing the school with his obnoxious behavior; so they went in the opposite direction by hiring Mike Riley. Nice guy, but middling coach. Then they hired the prodigal son Scott Frost. Riley was on okay coach. Frost didn't know what the hell he was doing. He thought acting tough was 99% of the job.

Any program would have struggled with those two guys at the helm.

It was because of Texas when they launched their Longhorn network. That rubbed the rest of the conference members the wrong way as it gave them additional revenue signing their own media rights deal outside of the conference.
Exactly

Nebraska football recruiting is abysmal. And has been for years.
I agree the Irish landed Teddy Rezac from Omaha and in very interested in a Linebacker. I believe Jones is his name but Rhule could change that. He has history of rebuilding

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT