ADVERTISEMENT

Benchmarks: for measuring success for the ND football team

Oh Please. Any good school requires a great deal of work in and out of the classroom. ND is a very good school but I am so sick of this excuse. Stanford players seem to get it done. So do Michigan players. For that matter, Navy has much less time than ND players and has less talent and has beaten Kelly.
.. and Navy is not very good. As for UM Harbaugh, himself criticized UM academics in relation to football players several years ago.

Look at the UNC scandal, if you think that is not the norm at most schools you are fooling yourself. A study right after that looked at the average ACT/SAT scores of football players at many of these top schools and concluded that MANY had no better than a 5th grade reading level. Many reports have also found that many of these players that actually manage to graduate have no better than an 8th grade reading level and no real prospects of gainful employment.

The facts are out there, CFB is a business and it is not in the business of education but in the business of winning games

I was responding to the statement that ND can afford to pay for a lot of tutors.

Yep, but they still haven't won a NC nor do I think they will. I would think Stanford results are about where ND should be. I think their record is a bit inflated because the PAC isn't that great USC has been a train wreck since Pete left. Oregon is good, UCLA ok but overall a fairly weak conference.

Like I have said given the huge restrictions I just don't see ND ever being able to compete with most of the football factories.
well, we will not have to wait too long for an answer; if at seasons end it is staus quo then ND as an insitution has w/o official decree has decided between the two directions for the football program.

I was responding to the statement that ND can afford to pay for a lot of tutors.

Yep, but they still haven't won a NC nor do I think they will. I would think Stanford results are about where ND should be. I think their record is a bit inflated because the PAC isn't that great USC has been a train wreck since Pete left. Oregon is good, UCLA ok but overall a fairly weak conference.

Like I have said given the huge restrictions I just don't see ND ever being able to compete with most of the football factories.
well, we will not have to wait too long for an answer; if at seasons end it is staus quo then ND as an insitution has w/o official decree has decided between the two directions for the football program.

IMO, they won't change course as long as there is no big dip in revenue.

.. and Navy is not very good. As for UM Harbaugh, himself criticized UM academics in relation to football players several years ago.

Look at the UNC scandal, if you think that is not the norm at most schools you are fooling yourself. A study right after that looked at the average ACT/SAT scores of football players at many of these top schools and concluded that MANY had no better than a 5th grade reading level. Many reports have also found that many of these players that actually manage to graduate have no better than an 8th grade reading level and no real prospects of gainful employment.

The facts are out there, CFB is a business and it is not in the business of education but in the business of winning games
Navy is not very good yet Kelly lost to them. If you want to make believe ND players are all secretly working 24 hours a day on a Manhattan Project, that is your choice, but there are many good schools with tough academics. This is a poor excuse for not playing basic fundamental football and being out-coached.

Navy is not very good yet Kelly lost to them. If you want to make believe ND players are all secretly working 24 hours a day on a Manhattan Project, that is your choice, but there are many good schools with tough academics. This is a poor excuse for not playing basic fundamental football and being out-coached.
Kelly lost once to Navy in 6 years, I'd say that's ok. Nobody said ND players were spending 24 hrs studying but on average they are certainly spending far more hours than players at; FSU, OSU, Bama, UM, Clemson, etc.

Sure there are other schools that still have student-athletes; GT, Northwestern, Stanford, BC and few others and most of them aren't powerhouse programs either.

In case you haven't noticed I have NOT been a big Kelly supporter. As Perse pointed out my bar isn't set very high and Kelly still hasn't reached the bar.

Kelly lost once to Navy in 6 years, I'd say that's ok. Nobody said ND players were spending 24 hrs studying but on average they are certainly spending far more hours than players at; FSU, OSU, Bama, UM, Clemson, etc.

Sure there are other schools that still have student-athletes; GT, Northwestern, Stanford, BC and few others and most of them aren't powerhouse programs either.

In case you haven't noticed I have NOT been a big Kelly supporter. As Perse pointed out my bar isn't set very high and Kelly still hasn't reached the bar.
I am not saying the ND student-athlete is not challenged more than most schools, what I am saying is it should not be an excuse for not playing fundamentally sound football and being out coached.

not a single Member of the sunshine pumpers even made feeble attempt to rationalize why they are steadfastly commited and loyal to this tandem of BK/BVG.

All they need to do is give their own criteria for excellence of performance. What are their benchmarks to determine if those criteria are being met!

Geez, if Jack is one of them, then he has no benchmark either.
I believe BK put Alabama as his benchmark, hows that working out.
Jack? you there? hello?

At one time, ND football owned Stanford. We're about even now.

I believe back when Harbaugh was coaching Stanford, during one interview he said something along the lines that of all the thousands of seniors playing football in high school and trying to get into a DIV-1 football program only a hundred would qualify at Notre Dame or Stanford and they were competing for the same kids.

Stanford seems to be doing something right these days though ... they seem to have fewer injuries than us, seem to be winning the competition for better athletes (McCaferty for example), ...
I thi
not a single Member of the sunshine pumpers even made feeble attempt to rationalize why they are steadfastly commited and loyal to this tandem of BK/BVG.

All they need to do is give their own criteria for excellence of performance. What are their benchmarks to determine if those criteria are being met!

Geez, if Jack is one of them, then he has no benchmark either.
I believe BK put Alabama as his benchmark, hows that working out.
Jack? you there? hello?

This is a test of Kelly's resolve - can he get the Defense sorted to play by MSU is the question. Nevada is a Palooka - any team with a half baked defense like Michigan or OSU would beat them by about 60 points - any improvement means we beat them by about 40 points. You can't tell me he hasn't got enough coaching talent on staff to figure this thing out.

I thi

This is a test of Kelly's resolve - can he get the Defense sorted to play by MSU is the question. Nevada is a Palooka - any team with a half baked defense like Michigan or OSU would beat them by about 60 points - any improvement means we beat them by about 40 points. You can't tell me he hasn't got enough coaching talent on staff to figure this thing out.
I doubt the defense is going to get fixed anytime soon. The problem is the scheme, a scheme that's been in place for 2 years now and its not something that can be fixed in a week. I have very little hope the defense is going to be good this year.

I doubt the defense is going to get fixed anytime soon. The problem is the scheme, a scheme that's been in place for 2 years now and its not something that can be fixed in a week. I have very little hope the defense is going to be good this year.
But it certainly doesn't have to be this bad ..... Boston College had the no1 D last year with far less talent than ND .... Kelly is CEO - he has to put the fire out now - 2 weeks to MSU - the Little Sisters of Saint Mary's would Clown Stomp Nevada.

It's not just a matter of tutors. ND can't offer many of the top players. There are only so many hours in a day and while ND players are spending most of those hours on school, O$U players are spending most of those hours working out, studying film, working on technique. You can't realistically expect ND players to compete with that.

Pretty sure ND could offer 95% plus of the OSU offers. I think some kids may not want to come and do the work at ND, but that is not the same as their not meeting the minimum academic requirements.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT