ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Roster 23-24

NWfor3

Shakes Down The Thunder
Mar 25, 2013
As it looks now, the Irish have 5 players left on their roster for next season. Starling is gone (Syracuse), Campbell & Carmody (portal), might be gone. Do any of the grad students have another year possibly? (Wertz, Ryan, Hammond, Laszewski, Goodwin). A new coach with a new roster for the most part. Both commits changed their mind when Brey made his announcement so they do not have players committed at this point. A lot of work to be done in a short amount of time, especially if they are targeting a coach who make a long tourney run.

Reactions: Kelso86
As it looks now, the Irish have 5 players left on their roster for next season. Starling is gone (Syracuse), Campbell & Carmody (portal), might be gone. Do any of the grad students have another year possibly? (Wertz, Ryan, Hammond, Laszewski, Goodwin). A new coach with a new roster for the most part. Both commits changed their mind when Brey made his announcement so they do not have players committed at this point. A lot of work to be done in a short amount of time, especially if they are targeting a coach who make a long tourney run.
Who ever gets this job will have some work to do, and should be given some tolerance around building a team back up. Could help somewhat with recruiting in that he can potentially offer an opportunity for immediate playing time to potential recruits.

Reactions: irishalice
Who ever gets this job will have some work to do, and should be given some tolerance around building a team back up. Could help somewhat with recruiting in that he can potentially offer an opportunity for immediate playing time to potential recruits.
Yep, it's not an attractive job right now. The program desperately needs a real shot of adrenaline to say the least. Gotta think taking a shot on a young coach with lots of juice is the way to go at this point.

Maybe Jack will step down soon and a new AD makes the decision. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

The easiest thing to rebuild is a basketball roster. The new coach may very well bring players especially if he’s coming from a successful mid-major, plus the transfer portal. Let’s hope none of the grad students come back, their story is written and there’s no reason to think a different coach would be getting more out of them.

Let’s hope the new coach is interested in rebounding and defense … we aren’t going to outscore most of the ACC trading jump shots for offensive rebound putbacks. Build a team that does the dirty work like UVA and get (another) point guard that can attack the rim. Also no more 6’11” players that play outside the 3 point arch please.

Hope I'm wrong, but with portal, runaway NIL, and UND admissions, I'm worried whether we will ever compete again, irrespective of who the coach is. NCAAM has become a real sewer, and I don't see us swimming in that

ND basketball is not sexy to today's kids. Maybe getting the right coach and staff will bring in decent players . ND has not recruited the DC schools and Penn areas like they used too. Not too sure the Dantley,Shumate,Rivers,etc types would've liked the Brey style of basketball either. Then, the academics negates many top players because they want to just play basketball and not school. Look at why UK gets so many 5 stars even though Calipari has won 1 championship at UK. Kids today are attaracted to places that further their NBA career without thinking of what happens when they don't make the NBA.

Reactions: Kelso86
What a total screw up by Jack. Brey wanted to stay and work the transition. jack smart man but seems to make some crap decisions that are difficult to fix

Shades of when Digger Phelps was hired.

I understand he had to beg undergraduates to come tryout for the team. But he built up a pretty good team quickly.

I think when Digger took over, Austin Car, Sid Catlett, and Collis Jones had all graduated. That was a heavy lift to replace them, but it got worse. John Shumate, expected to start at center as a sophomore, had a blood clot and sat out the season. I believe another expected starter was injured in a car crash and lost for the season. My memory is going, but I'm pretty certain there was another highly regarded player lost to injury or grades.

I do remember that he recruited Willie and Mike Townsend from the football team and they saw considerable action.

Reactions: IrishHerb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT