ADVERTISEMENT

Autry Denson gets my vote of confidence !! Great running back coach !

Bodizephax

I've posted how many times?
Feb 24, 2012
Rikers Island (Lifer)
www.gstatic.com
Autry Denson is a far better running back coach than Tony Alford ! Since Autry has come to ND in 2015 the Irish have been running wild !! Josh Adams ! Dexter Williams ! CJ Procise !! and all the rb's kicked off the team !! Isn't that what it is all about ??!!! Production ?? !! ND is now a great running team !! No matter who carrys the ball !!
I don't buy the Crap the internet Notre Dame analsts Wizard nerds say !! They are not on the ND coaching staff !! They are not on the team !!
Autry Denson knows his craft and is an Irish legend who deserves respect !!
I watch he Irish running attack since Autry has been on board and can see with my own eyes how much the running attack has improved !!
Go Autry !! Go Irish !! 14 and 0 in 2018/19 !!
And Josh Adams deserves more respect on this board also !! One of the alltime greats at Notre Dame !! He gave his all and in many big games like USC and North Carolina State !! Were you not entertained with all of his 60 plus yard TD runs ?? !!

Josh Adams deserves respect? I think he's earned it. Who will ever forget his 98 yard home run ball against WF or his 191 yard day and three TDs against USC, including a beautiful 84 yard stroll to the promised land. And that was only some of his work. Last season, pre-game, the equipment room door was open and Josh's helmet was sitting on a work table getting fitted with a new mask. No one was in the room so I quietly walked in and took a quick picture of the helmet. A team manager walked in and quickly tossed me from the room. But, I got my picture. That's what I think of Josh Adams, whether he makes it to the next level or not. Growing up, Nick Eddy was my favorite all time ND player. I think Josh and Nick are similar. If I knew how to post the picture without making a federal case out of the ordeal, I would.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Josh Adams deserves respect? I think he's earned it. Who will ever forget his 98 yard home run ball against WF or his 191 yard day and three TDs against USC, including a beautiful 84 yard stroll to the promised land. And that was only some of his work. Last season, pre-game, the equipment room door was open and Josh's helmet was sitting on a work table getting fitted with a new mask. No one was in the room so I quietly walked in and took a quick picture of the helmet. A team manager walked in and quickly tossed me from the room. But, I got my picture. That's what I think of Josh Adams, whether he makes it to the next level or not. Growing up, Nick Eddy was my favorite all time ND player. I think Josh and Nick are similar. If I knew how to post the picture without making a federal case out of the ordeal, I would.
Man that is awesome !! Josh rocks ! And a great HUMAN BEING besides !! Hopefully you can coax some Nerd into posting that pic ! It would be great to see !

I agree. There is a lot more involved in developing a great running attack than the rb position coach, but Denson deserves a lot of credit, especially with damn near eliminating costly fumbles. The one knock on Denson that seems warranted, is recruiting. Criticism is that he doesn’t work tirelessly at it, and that there is too much emphasis on connecting with recruits on a religious level at the expense of football or other areas of interest. Since none of us knows how hard he recruits or the substance of his communications, I have no idea if these criticisms are warranted. I am really anxious to see whether Armstrong emerges as another diamond in the rough under Denson’s tutelage.

Lol this is absurb....

Tony Alford

Theo Riddick (NFL co-starter)
Zeke Elliott (NFL starter)
J.K. Dobbins
Mike Weber

Autry Denson

Josh Adams (undrafted)

When you factor in their ability as recruiters, it isn't even close. Alford is a top 5 recruiter nationally, and has been for years, while pumping out NFL backs / soon to be NFL backs, at two different schools.

And before someone jumps in and says "anyone could coach a J.K. Dobbins or a Zeke Elliott", I call BS. You can't credit Autry for Josh Adams, who would have been a high 4 star had he not tore up knee during his junior season, then take Tony's credit away for his backs, just because they're good players... Not to mention, a recruiter like Tony lands the best backs in the nation so he can coach them. He puts in the work to make his life easiser. Just because Autry takes kids none of the big boys want, rather than recruiting like Alford does, you can't blame Tony for that.

Oh and remember that it was Alford that recruited and signed Josh Adams and Dexter Williams so Autry could coach them. Denson hasn't recruited anyone of that talent in FOUR recruiting cycles since.

Lol this is absurb....

Tony Alford

J.K. Dobbins
Mike Weber

Autry Denson

Josh Adams (undrafted)

When you factor in their ability as recruiters, it isn't even close. Alford is a top 5 recruiter nationally, and has been for years, while pumping out NFL backs / soon to be NFL backs, at two different schools.

And before someone jumps in and says "anyone could coach a J.K. Dobbins or a Zeke Elliott", I call BS. You can't credit Autry for Josh Adams, who would have been a high 4 star had he not tore up knee during his junior season, then take Tony's credit away for his backs, just because they're good players... Not to mention, a recruiter like Tony lands the best backs in the nation so he can coach them. He puts in the work to make his life easiser. Just because Autry takes kids none of the big boys want, rather than recruiting like Alford does, you can't blame Tony for that.

Oh and remember that it was Alford that recruited and signed Josh Adams and Dexter Williams so Autry could coach them. Denson hasn't recruited anyone of that talent in FOUR recruiting cycles since.
tony alford is one of the best recruiters in the business. as a position coach he is middle of the road. he was not in demand for his teaching abilities. the guys who truly excel at both are rare.

Reactions: Pennick4 and NDlb46
Autry Denson is a far better running back coach than Tony Alford ! Since Autry has come to ND in 2015 the Irish have been running wild !! Josh Adams ! Dexter Williams ! CJ Procise !! and all the rb's kicked off the team !! Isn't that what it is all about ??!!! Production ?? !! ND is now a great running team !! No matter who carrys the ball !!
I don't buy the Crap the internet Notre Dame analsts Wizard nerds say !! They are not on the ND coaching staff !! They are not on the team !!
Autry Denson knows his craft and is an Irish legend who deserves respect !!
I watch he Irish running attack since Autry has been on board and can see with my own eyes how much the running attack has improved !!
Go Autry !! Go Irish !! 14 and 0 in 2018/19 !!
And Josh Adams deserves more respect on this board also !! One of the alltime greats at Notre Dame !! He gave his all and in many big games like USC and North Carolina State !! Were you not entertained with all of his 60 plus yard TD runs ?? !!

Bodie I understand your point. Denison had several backs look pretty good. That said, what the complaint is and I agree with this complaint. Is a lack of consistent recruiting at a high level also the crew he recruits seems to a criminal lot. So something has to give here

Lol this is absurb....

Tony Alford

J.K. Dobbins
Mike Weber

Autry Denson

Josh Adams (undrafted)

Thanks for the common sense.

When are people/posters going to realize that success won't come from one person. Football is an orchestra of players, coaches, support staff, and yes even parents working together. No ONE harbors all of the blame, no ONE harbors all of the guilt, no ONE harbors all of the success. The HC takes the majority of the responsibility because of his role as a leader of the program, but the programs are massive. Autry Denson is not going to win an NC on his own. Neither will Tevon Coney, Brandon Wimbush, the equipment coordinator, C. Long, Josh Lugg, C. Lea, Regis Philbin, Tillery, or the 3rd string Center.

Work together as a team to win, or lose as individuals.

Autry Denson has a specific job to do. He has a finite amount of things within his control. I'd wager that 85% of his job is determined by external factors. 15% he can control because it has to do with the direct work that he puts in on a daily basis. The rest is a fricking crap-shoot between players' mentality, backgrounds, skill sets, S&C program, other positions, scheme, other asst. coaches working with the positions and schemes, the moods of 18-22 year old young men (yikes), 67 other things just at ND, and every possible other thing that is happening at the other universities that ND will suite up against this year on Saturdays.

I wish I had Autry's job for being able to work with these young men and the sheer prestige (and the free gear would be pretty cool too). But damn it would suck to not be in control to such an extent. Hell, remember a few weeks ago that there was an entire thread roasting C. Lea's approach, scheme, and entire life's work before he even called his first defensive play? Forget that.

tony alford is one of the best recruiters in the business. as a position coach he is middle of the road. he was not in demand for his teaching abilities. the guys who truly excel at both are rare.

Echo,

You and I both know that there are a lot of "really good" coaches out there that are a product of their ability to recruit. A good solid coach teaching standard, quality, fundamentals, will get more production from an elite player, than a coach teaching the same things, to a lesser player.

It's not as if Autry Denson is in demand at all... Because of his combined coaching and recruiting (the two are married at the college level) there is probably not a head coach in the entire country that wouldn't take Tony Alford on his staff in a heartbeat. The same is definitely not true of Denson, whose soon to be senior tailback still struggles with protections.

Echo,

You and I both know that there are a lot of "really good" coaches out there that are a product of their ability to recruit. A good solid coach teaching standard, quality, fundamentals, will get more production from an elite player, than a coach teaching the same things, to a lesser player.

It's not as if Autry Denson is in demand at all... Because of his combined coaching and recruiting (the two are married at the college level) there is probably not a head coach in the entire country that wouldn't take Tony Alford on his staff in a heartbeat. The same is definitely not true of Denson, whose soon to be senior tailback still struggles with protections.
agreed. not comparing the two. my point is alfords biggest strength is his ability to recruit. he is not an elite level "coach". charlie weis had a staff of very good to excellent recruiters who were not known at all for their ability to "coach". we all saw the byproduct of that. again very few guys out there outstanding at both phases.

Reactions: Telx1 and NDlb46
As I already wrote

Denson has had the advantage of his rb's playing behind the top offensive line in College football last year....and unfortunately, when they faced tough D's the RB production was abysmal.

Georgia
Stanford
LSU

shut them down

Personally I am less sold on Denson now that the conversation started than I was beforehand

Reactions: NDlb46
As I already wrote

Denson has had the advantage of his rb's playing behind the top offensive line in College football last year....and unfortunately, when they faced tough D's the RB production was abysmal.

Georgia
Stanford
LSU

shut them down

Personally I am less sold on Denson now that the conversation started than I was beforehand
so when the backs were productive it was because of the o-line and when they weren't it was because of denson ? can't have it both ways.

so when the backs were productive it was because of the o-line and when they weren't it was because of denson ? can't have it both ways.

Actually you can. If fact you have to.

The O-line can only clear out the first line of defence, after that it is on the RB's. Mustipher, Q and McG did a very good job run blocking against Georgia, it was the Backs that didn't make much happen.

Which then brings us to play calling....which was the grip last year....Too many slow developing RB plays...... No Dex.....jones to slow....etc.

Reactions: NDlb46
As I already wrote

Georgia
Stanford
LSU

shut them down

This is a completely legit perspective. The RB's didn't "make things happen". Just keep in mind that we are in the Sportscenter Top 10 era where if an athlete isn't making an unbelievable play, then they aren't that good. Give the opposing defenses their due, but at the same time expect that ND would be able to counter. This is where I think the real conversation begins. But I've been wrong before (just ask my wife ;))

I guess the question will be is.....how will Jones, Smith and Jafar do against UM in the opener against that DLine and LB group?

Exactly the right question ECHO. It isn't just one unit. The left hand can't work without the right hand, and then there's that whole mass of humanity in the middle that connects the left and right. If one is excellent and the other is mediocre (or vice versa), or if they are both just good, or if they are both just good but the other stuff around them is extraordinary...

you get my point. You can only have it both ways when you recognize that both ways have a role to play.

I guess the question will be is.....how will Jones, Smith and Jafar do against UM in the opener against that DLine and LB group?
That is a good question. I'll be happy to speculate in broad terms, but will be more happy to speculate over a few ice cold beverages

Reactions: Kelso86
And what about Dexter? Can he handle the starter role at RB against Michigan? Can he stay healthy for the whole game so true rookies won't have to get themselves exposed in this kind of national opener. This is assuming that he will dress for the opener and there has been nothing official that says he won't, so far.

And what about Dexter? Can he handle the starter role at RB against Michigan? Can he stay healthy for the whole game so true rookies won't have to get themselves exposed in this kind of national opener. This is assuming that he will dress for the opener and there has been nothing official that says he won't, so far.

Not to beat a dead horse, but nothing will be officially released either way unless someone is dismissed or ineligible.
Last year they never said a word before, during or after the Stepherson suspension.
We won’t know until the two deep is released the week of Michigan. In fact, we won’t know until the Michigan game ends. Suspended players (like Stepherson) still dress for the games.

Lol this is absurb....

Tony Alford

J.K. Dobbins
Mike Weber

Autry Denson

Josh Adams (undrafted)

Now now... Denson did recruit Deion McIntosh & CJ Holmes... wait what? They both got kicked out of school?

Even Ara had major issues with All Americans during his tenure. I blame the player, not the coach.
There will always be kids who get out of line but when 60% of the players at your position have either been arrested or suspended within a few month span there’s a problem!

There will always be kids who get out of line but when 60% of the players at your position have either been arrested or suspended within a few month span there’s a problem!

I’m not there, but other players who have graduated or moved on have said he has zero control of the RB room.
Holmes’ family flat out stated they don’t trust him.
Two different recruits in the 2019 RB class that ND led for told the reporters in interviews that Denson never really pushed the advantages at ND (OL for example) & didn’t really connect with them.
I mean Chambers & Melusi both had ND as their leader or co-leader & on a very short amount of time neither had ND in their top 3.

I’m not there, but other players who have graduated or moved on have said he has zero control of the RB room.
Holmes’ family flat out stated they don’t trust him.
Two different recruits in the 2019 RB class that ND led for told the reporters in interviews that Denson never really pushed the advantages at ND (OL for example) & didn’t really connect with them.
I mean Chambers & Melusi both had ND as their leader or co-leader & on a very short amount of time neither had ND in their top 3.
I have never heard such a poor coach be defended like Denson. I seem to be the only one baffled that you cannot find a way to teach Dex how to freaking pass block. You have to find a way as a coach, especially when they’re unpaid college kids, it’s your freaking job.

I have never seen so many excuses for someone who is on the BVG level of recruiting.

And yes, these kids should respect you and not want to let you down off the field, they embarrass him time and time again. 60% of his players last year either got arrested or suspended. That’s on top of his players literally looking like they don’t want to play at times.

I’m sorry but I lost a ton of respect for Adams during the Wake game. That was ridiculous.

I agree. There is a lot more involved in developing a great running attack than the rb position coach, but Denson deserves a lot of credit, especially with damn near eliminating costly fumbles. The one knock on Denson that seems warranted, is recruiting. Criticism is that he doesn’t work tirelessly at it, and that there is too much emphasis on connecting with recruits on a religious level at the expense of football or other areas of interest. Since none of us knows how hard he recruits or the substance of his communications, I have no idea if these criticisms are warranted. I am really anxious to see whether Armstrong emerges as another diamond in the rough under Denson’s tutelage.
I have no doubt Jafar Armstrong will become a Superstar under Densons watchfull eye !! Denson is Holtz 2.0 !! Get the best athletes on the field !!

I have never heard such a poor coach be defended like Denson. I seem to be the only one baffled that you cannot find a way to teach Dex how to freaking pass block. You have to find a way as a coach, especially when they’re unpaid college kids, it’s your freaking job.

I have never seen so many excuses for someone who is on the BVG level of recruiting.

And yes, these kids should respect you and not want to let you down off the field, they embarrass him time and time again. 60% of his players last year either got arrested or suspended. That’s on top of his players literally looking like they don’t want to play at times.

I’m sorry but I lost a ton of respect for Adams during the Wake game. That was ridiculous.

The thing is I was one of the Denson defenders until recently.
I just started having it explained to me very simply by multiple people from different angles.
After a while I couldn’t really defend it anymore.
And that was before the Holmes’ situation that infuriates me.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
The thing is I was one of the Denson defenders until recently.
I just started having it explained to me very simply by multiple people from different angles.
After a while I couldn’t really defend it anymore.
And that was before the Holmes’ situation that infuriates me.

What service did multiple people subscribe to?

What service did multiple people subscribe to?

Why not read the interviews from the recruits yourself?
No point, because you still wouldn’t believe it.
They would also be false sources about their own recruitments...LOL

And the buck stops at BK's office. If things are so dire with Denson, why hasn't BK stepped in and taken charge of that RB room or put Autry on notice? ND also has an OC. And he hasn't noticed anything?

And the buck stops at BK's office. If things are so dire with Denson, why hasn't BK stepped in and taken charge of that RB room or put Autry on notice? ND also has an OC. And he hasn't noticed anything?
It took a 8 loss season to notice his defensive coordinator sucked!

Reactions: NDIRISH53
He was one seriously bad HS Football Coach. So naturally getting the job as RB's coach for the U of ND is the natural progression...Sorry to see him leave the HS ranks in PB Country, his team was always good for an easy W.

Cmon now we all know it takes extreme measures for BK to fire people... even though he’s so bad it kind of is extreme measures

Really disappointed, I remember when it was Denson and J Jackson who had to make up for the shortcomings of the OC.

Actually you can. If fact you have to.

The O-line can only clear out the first line of defence, after that it is on the RB's. Mustipher, Q and McG did a very good job run blocking against Georgia, it was the Backs that didn't make much happen.

Which then brings us to play calling....which was the grip last year....Too many slow developing RB plays...... No Dex.....jones to slow....etc.
nonsense.

of course he'll dress, just like stepherson did. now 80 players may have to get injured for him to play but that's a different story.

Not to beat a dead horse, but nothing will be officially released either way unless someone is dismissed or ineligible.
Last year they never said a word before, during or after the Stepherson suspension.
We won’t know until the two deep is released the week of Michigan. In fact, we won’t know until the Michigan game ends. Suspended players (like Stepherson) still dress for the games.
disciplined not suspended.

Now now... Denson did recruit Deion McIntosh & CJ Holmes... wait what? They both got kicked out of school?
the program recruited those players. do you think position coaches make the decision on what players get recruited ? if you do you haven't a clue on how things work.

Reactions: Pennick4

easy answer. dex is not interested in being coached. he has talent but is a dog.how come other backs have not had a problem pass blocking ? denson is not an elite coach but the problems with dex are 100% with the guy in dexters mirror.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT