ADVERTISEMENT

Football Ashton Crag Commits To Notre Dame

Underrated, athletic, quick off the line, great motor, plays with a chip, high upside, etc… are the things being said and written about this young man. He’ll get a tepid reception because he’s a three star and we’ve been reading about all the four star OL we’re recruiting, but I think folks will be pretty enthused after a stellar senior season playing at 20 lbs heavier and a solid four star rating. Welcome on board!

Hard blocking 3 star with offers from Boston College, Florida State, Indiana, Iowa, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Baylor, Duke, Iowa State and Wake Forest .

Nice to pick up an instate kid. Nice size for a center. Hopefully he becomes as good at football as Roger Craig.
Matt Ballis will make Ashton a BEAST !

It’s as simple as he’ll either be better than his ranking or he won’t see the field as ND has talent on the oline lined up for next 3-4 years. I would expect ND to land a few “can’t miss” studs in the 2023 class.

It’s as simple as he’ll either be better than his ranking or he won’t see the field as ND has talent on the oline lined up for next 3-4 years. I would expect ND to land a few “can’t miss” studs in the 2023 class.
So if his ranking changes expectations should too ?

center is an interesting position. In a lot of ways you can be a better player with lesser physical gifts there then anywhere on the O line.
If you are willing to work like a demon...
and have the brains and instincts.

Reactions: IrishMike409
So does this mean the staff expects to whiff and get none of the wisconsin guys?
No Hinzman no Schaefer no brunner ?
I thought Hinzman was a no go from his visit, and the buzz around Schrauth is that we no longer lead for him and that he is Whisky bound. The guy I thought we would get of this group was Brunner, and There’s lots of pressure to stay in State with Whisky. so Yes, we might whiff on all three after lots of optimism we would land at least two. Still hoping Brunner goes with us, but I’m really hoping we pull off a great upset and get Rice’s commitment. The thought of Baker and Spindler and Fisher and Rice competing to start next year is damn near surreal. Hope Rice has an incredible visit this weekend and Makes the conversion!

I thought Hinzman was a no go from his visit, and the buzz around Schrauth is that we no longer lead for him and that he is Whisky bound. The guy I thought we would get of this group was Brunner, and There’s lots of pressure to stay in State with Whisky. so Yes, we might whiff on all three after lots of optimism we would land at least two. Still hoping Brunner goes with us, but I’m really hoping we pull off a great upset and get Rice’s commitment. The thought of Baker and Spindler and Fisher and Rice competing to start next year is damn near surreal. Hope Rice has an incredible visit this weekend and Makes the conversion!
How do you feel about Baker, Telx?

How do you feel about Baker, Telx?
I hope he pushes Lugg hard for the starting right tackle spot. I was high on Lugg until last season where I thought he struggled a lot when he substituted for guard and center. He has some back issues and he’s more natural at tackle. I like Baker a lot and I doubt he beats our Lugg, but it would be a great development if he has gained the needed strength and punch to do so.

We only offered after not landing our top guys. That matters too
I think he was our number two target for center After Hinzman. Definitely a plan B, but a damn good prospect for center.

One of those guys that when OL Coaches got a chance to work him out they offered him.

I am hearing Baker is having difficulty with his feet and containing edge rushers otherwise pretty solid
Ski…agreed. He clearly did not look strong enough, nor Quick enough in the Spring game. That said, he was clearly one of our best linemen during the Spring, and I expect he’ll show significant improvement in both areas by the time Fall rolls around. Lugg is a talented tackle and he played out of position last year at guard and center. Plus, his back was problematic. Assuming he is totally healthy, he should be a very good right tackle for us, and if Baker were to beat him out, we would have an emerging star.

Last edited:
11th rated by the staff ? Shouldn't their evaluations matter much more than those of some internet site ? Welcome young man.
Are you seriously saying this is a first round target? No this is after they whiffed on multiple OL on their visits now just getting bodies. Second year in underwhelming OL recruiting. But keep brining in the projects. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Are you seriously saying this is a first round target? No this is after they whiffed on multiple OL on their visits now just getting bodies. Second year in underwhelming OL recruiting. But keep brining in the projects. Maybe we'll get lucky.
Last year wasnt underwhelming. Fisher and Spindler are pretty much locks to be studs. Joe Alt has as much upside as anyone. Then they took 2 depth players. Still one of the best 5 classes in the country.

This year needs some work. Chan can be elite we just dont know yet. Tanona is really good prospect. We'll see on Craig. To be determined.

We really need to land Schrauth and a tackle. Thats up in the air right now on both

We only offered after not landing our top guys. That matters too
Disagree. They're not offering guys they don't think can develop. The cupboard is already overstocked. They didn't need another o lineman. Their opinion is more than good enough for me.

I'm saying if the staff thinks he can play that's good enough for me. Could care less about the " stars" .

15 -17 OL guys on the roster at any given time is the right number I think. We have 15 right now and we lose Lugg, Madden, Dickson and Patterson this year.

I think you need a mix of ringers, grinders and low floor high ceiling guys for a good OL room. Craig strikes me as low floor high ceiling guy like Agu, Claypool and JOK. Length and athleticism but needs 2 years of Balis. He will only play OL at ND, no SDE, so his technique should improve a lot.

Last edited:
Rocco and Fisher could be day 1 starters. Underwhelming is incorrect.

Underrated, athletic, quick off the line, great motor, plays with a chip, high upside, etc… are the things being said and written about this young man. He’ll get a tepid reception because he’s a three star and we’ve been reading about all the four star OL we’re recruiting, but I think folks will be pretty enthused after a stellar senior season playing at 20 lbs heavier and a solid four star rating. Welcome on board!
He will be great for a center project. 3 years to develop.

Disagree. They're not offering guys they don't think can develop. The cupboard is already overstocked. They didn't need another o lineman. Their opinion is more than good enough for me.
You are wrong. If Hinzman and Scrauth committed on their visits, Craig never gets offered.

And Im not saying he wont be good. But to act like our own coaches didnt have other players higher on their board is just wrong. You cant spin it

We are not overstocked. We have 3 guys left from the 19 class and none have made a major impact. 2 guys only from 20 and 5 from 21. Our numbers arent overly stocked like they have been in the past.

I'm saying if the staff thinks he can play that's good enough for me. Could care less about the " stars" .
They also thought Brunell could play when most thought he couldnt. What happened?

They can be wrong too. They arent right on every player.

And I'm not saying they are wrong. But just to say I trust the coaches as a blanket statement is lazy

Reactions: irish4life9999
I am by no means an expert, but in looking at some of the tape on Ashton, I very much liked the fact that he looked quick and light on his feet. He moves really well for a big man, and I've read he has long arms for his height That bodes well for his development. Time will tell about his strength and ability to move people around against their will, but Balis is doing a nice job as the S&C coach, so I have faith Ashton will be coached up properly.

I'm not worried about Ashton's 3-star status. Our OL coaches have done a nice job of identifying and developing O-line talent. Look at the PFF list of the top 50 players currently playing in the NFL. ND has 4 former players on the list, including 3 O-lineman (Q (#4), Zack Martin (#13) and Ronnie Stanley (#46)). That is pretty damn impressive. The 4th ND player on the list is Harrison Smith (#32). I am going to trust the judgment of the coaching staff on Ashton's recruitment. Aside from ND, only OSU had 4 former players on the PFF50.

I am by no means an expert, but in looking at some of the tape on Ashton, I very much liked the fact that he looked quick and light on his feet. He moves really well for a big man, and I've read he has long arms for his height That bodes well for his development. Time will tell about his strength and ability to move people around against their will, but Balis is doing a nice job as the S&C coach, so I have faith Ashton will be coached up properly.

I'm not worried about Ashton's 3-star status. Our OL coaches have done a nice job of identifying and developing O-line talent. Look at the PFF list of the top 50 players currently playing in the NFL. ND has 4 former players on the list, including 3 O-lineman (Q (#4), Zack Martin (#13) and Ronnie Stanley (#46)). That is pretty damn impressive. The 4th ND player on the list is Harrison Smith (#32). I am going to trust the judgment of the coaching staff on Ashton's recruitment. Aside from ND, only OSU had 4 former players on the PFF50.
Just an fyi all those players you mentioned in the NFL were not developed under Quinn.

So by your standards we can never question any of the coaches or their decisions on recruits. We'll you, Bodi, and a handful of others can remain blind Homer's but that's not me. This was obviously a plan B guy and if you want to deny it that's on you.

So if his ranking changes expectations should too ?
I meant that when he gets to ND if he plays like a "3 star" he won't see the field. If the staff did a great job evaluating a prospect that was a "sleeper" and he's really nfl potential and his play is that of one you'd expect of a 4 or 5 star he has a chance to make an impact.

Overall, my point is, we have good talent. You're not seeing the field on our oline over the next few years if you aren't high quality and most likely NFL quality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT