ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone see less than two losses

ftnfan62

I've posted how many times?
Aug 1, 2010
I never bet against the IRISH, but I just don't see going better than 2-2 against USC, Stanford, UGA and Michigan...…

Most teams in the country could not run those 4......3 of the 4 are away games.....

Could easily see a 1-3 there....2-2 would be a win....3-1 a miracle and 4-0 not possible I don't believe...

The schedule gods smiled on us last year with big home games and we had an excellent team, maybe one of the best defenses in quite some time.....Our front 7 will see a big drop off on defense I'd think and our RB's are "serviceable" but not breakers....Not sure what Michigan returns or Stanford...UGA and USC are loaded and USC was so young last year......

I do. (whatever BTG saya!)

Last edited:
I see no reason we can't go 12-0 again. There are NO super teams on the Irish Schedule. There are plenty of tough games but we have a very good team next year.

Reactions: zonairish and rgc7
It’ll be a travesty if we can’t beat SC at home with the insanity surrounding their program. Stanford hasn’t had a top recruiting class since peat/Murphy class 5/6 years ago. Last year they brought in 15 and year before 14. Honestly I don’t know how Shaw has done the serviceable job he has. They’re overrated every year and don’t have a lot of talent. We have more talent top to bottom than mich but away game makes it a flip of the coin. At Ga will be a challenge. I see us going 3-1 with a close game but a L at Athens

Reactions: d1042
SC is a far cry from the Pete Carrol days. Yeah they got talent, but they are not a good team. Stanford, tough to project, but I don't think they're going to be as strong as they've been in the past. Michigan, the most overrated team in the past year. UGA, ND will probably lose to. I see a 3-1 record against those teams.

Michigan at the Big House is always tough. I like Irish O vs. their D who lost their playmakers along the line. Irish O needs to hold on to the ball and play time of possession. Michigan QB and receivers against our secondary is a concern. Need a pass rush and need to see improvement in CB play.
Georgia at their place will be the toughest game on the schedule. They are replacing some talent but have a lot behind it with their recruiting success. Need D-line to step up big time in this game.
USC at home the Irish can and should win. However, that young QB and their receivers are going to be a handful. Irish secondary needs to really improve and show up.
Standford, only concern here is the West Coast trip at the end of the year. Sometimes the team is worn down but hopefully the new S&C and last year's travel have demonstrated improvement here.

I never bet against the IRISH, but I just don't see going better than 2-2 against USC, Stanford, UGA and Michigan...…

Most teams in the country could not run those 4......3 of the 4 are away games.....

Could easily see a 1-3 there....2-2 would be a win....3-1 a miracle and 4-0 not possible I don't believe...

The schedule gods smiled on us last year with big home games and we had an excellent team, maybe one of the best defenses in quite some time.....Our front 7 will see a big drop off on defense I'd think and our RB's are "serviceable" but not breakers....Not sure what Michigan returns or Stanford...UGA and USC are loaded and USC was so young last year......
Georgia will be tough. winning there is unlikely. the others are very winnable. michigan doesn't scare anyone. Usc is far,far removed from their better days. Stanford ? who knows ? end of the year. which team is playing well ? injuries ? i can see 11-1 before 8-4 or 9-3.

Last edited:
Reactions: scubastevefl
I think that we can go undefeated, but it is also very possible that we lose two or every a few more games.
We have talent, but so do a lot of teams on our schedule.

Last February, how many losses did you see going into the 2018 season?

Reactions: ThomasSowell
Georgia will be tough. winning there is unlikely. the others are very winnable. michigan doesn't scare anyone. Usc is far,far removed from their better days. Stanford ? who knows ? end of the year. which team is playing well ? injuries ? i can see 11-1 before 8-4 or 9-3.
Probably meet in the middle at 10-2, which would be good based on our schedule and what we lost.

SC is a far cry from the Pete Carrol days. Yeah they got talent, but they are not a good team. Stanford, tough to project, but I don't think they're going to be as strong as they've been in the past. Michigan, the most overrated team in the past year. UGA, ND will probably lose to. I see a 3-1 record against those teams.

It is all about UGA.
UGA losses a few guys but the OL has another year of experience. It will beagamewon/lost in the trenches.

I would never take USC for granted. I'm not taking the bait on the Shelton negativity. The Trojies were within an onside kick of a potential tying score in 2018. And 2018 was a down year for those guys to boot.

I see no reason we can't go 12-0 again. There are NO super teams on the Irish Schedule. There are plenty of tough games but we have a very good team next year.

Umm....Georgia is pretty damn close, if college teams were superhero’s and theirs no Batman, Georgia is Robin.

Don't overlook Virginia Tech either.

There's 5 games that will test the season:
USC, Michigan, Georgia, Stanford, Virginia Tech

If i had to put my money on it, with the normal amount of luck/fortune, ND loses half of those games and finishes 9-3 or so and ranked in the mid teens, signs a 12-14th ranked 2020 class, and finishes 9-3 a season later. Major bowl games are usually a loss (middle bowl games are typically a win).

If ND has a lot of good luck they win as many as 11 or 12 regular season games, if they have bad luck they lose as many as 5 games, normal amount of luck they win 8 or 9 games. All very standardish Brian Kelly Notre Dame

This type of trajectory reminds me of fsu during the twilight of Bobby Bowden's career (or the Bo Pelini era at Nebraska)

Last edited:
Reactions: 88ND
I want to see zero losses

Anything is possible

But.....

BK has NEVER won at Stanford. Never won in Ann Arbor.

The Georgia game...

You know it wouldn't surprise me if we beat Georgia but lost to Stanford, UM, and at home to USC.

I think the Irish will have to beat Georgia and go undefeated to get in the playoff.

We don't give the naysayers any reason to think we belong in that environment so we have to be damn perfect. Again.

If we lost a nail biter to Georgia but had all these explosive players on offense and scoring fifty per game it would be different.

Going at it like the lunch pale gang won't get us in the playoffs with anything but a perfect record.

I would never take USC for granted. I'm not taking the bait on the Shelton negativity. The Trojies were within an onside kick of a potential tying score in 2018. And 2018 was a down year for those guys to boot.

Years of the rivalry have supported that attitude, but these are very unique days for the Troj’s.
It is hard to properly appreciate the absolute mess the athletics are. And the football program is
the worstof the disaster. Helton makes the 2 guys in the show The Principals seem like Einstein clones!

Am i the only one that finds it ironic that ND and USC have virtually the same record since 2010 yet USCs football program is the train wreck?

EDIT/UPDATE: after looking more deeply into the numbers, ND has won 69% since 2010, USC has won 66%. USC actually had the better winning percentage prior to last season but i didn't realize USC only won 5 games in 2018. My point still stands but with some caveats.

Last edited:
Reactions: baron100 and 88ND
Am i the only one that finds it ironic that ND and USC have virtually the same record since 2010 yet USCs football program is the train wreck?

You, no.
You are a whiny baby.

ND has played for 2 National Titles & is 6-3 agsinst USC in that time. USC has hired & fired multiple HC (including an alcoholic & a pathological liar), & is in the middle of a huge scandel/lawsuit.
ND & USC are going in different directions right now.
But you would be a perfect as a USC fan. You care more about recruiting classes than actual wins.

No.

They just need a horrible Year then the coach have a revelation that he will do things he should have done all Along and people will think he's the Messiah...all while still losing big games, just looking better against teams you should beat

Kelly hasn’t won at Michigan. Like ND last year, Michigan will be jacked and chomping at the bit. However, if ND can find a way to win, they could set themselves up for a great year. It’s a big “if” but it’s not out of the question. 10 and 2 or 11and 1 are doable. The Michigan game will be the barometer.

EDIT/UPDATE: after looking more deeply into the numbers, ND has won 69% since 2010, USC has won 66%. USC actually had the better winning percentage prior to last season but i didn't realize USC only won 5 games in 2018. My point still stands but with some caveats.
I think most people would think of "train wreck" as a current situation, not a long term rolling average.

Does anyone really understand how hard it is to win a game in college football ?

Michigan lost a ton of difference makers on D and plus SC could still be struggling due to new coaches and not being loaded with everywhere with 5 star guys like the Pete C days in the early 2000,s. plus I just don't see the Michigan o-line being able to block our DEs again like this past season

Last February, how many losses did you see going into the 2018 season?

Honestly I thought we had the perfect setup for a 12-0 run. Did I feel we could not be beat, no....but the only games that I had concern with was Michigan but at home I gave us the nod and I was for some strange reason a bit worried about Syracuse with the travel and their QB. Last year I saw no reason we could not be 12-0 with our defense. I was only worried about our O-Line. We lose Coney, Drew, Tillery in the middle. They all played almost every down. They line up the defense. Love was lights out and we saw what happened against Clemson when he went out. Dex was a breaker and Boykin saved many games. I don't see 2019 as good of a team as 2018 with a tougher slate. I think it will take a season to get the defense back to that level. I think 2020 has a favorable schedule, best game at home and we have a year under out belt....

It is a matter of trajectory. SC's trajectory is going down the last two seasons and ND's is going up.

Reactions: ThomasSowell
3 because of the oline losses and no rb

Thomas, to a great degree successful running backs are a product of an efficient offensive line.

In order for ND to have a good season the OLine has to protect the QB and open up holes for the RB’s.

The OLine, not RB’s will dictate the outcome this coming season.

The defense seems more than adequate, but like everything, injuries, coaching, eligibility and other factors will play a significant role in determining the outcome!

I know it's a message board, but Personally I find these topics to be stupid. Predicting wins and losses this early is plain stupid

It is a matter of trajectory. SC's trajectory is going down the last two seasons and ND's is going up.

Nitpick and say 1 year and one off-season. 2017 SC was the PAC champ and Cotton Bowl loser.

It is difficult to go 12-0 no matter what talent you have. Anywhere from 9-3 to 12-0 more than likely 11-1

Can't see anything worse than 11-1 with this schedule and playing lights out at Ga 12-0. Close game at Ga keeps us in the playoff picture. We get curb stomped and no playoff spot is almost certain.

I am not sure anyone in CFB has had back to back undefeated with the exception of UCF. Odds are a against ND, Clem and AL.

Don’t see any LB’s on this team. When Coney came in as a frosh you could see he was a rare talent. I didn’t see much strength there on the reserves. DL rush should be fine. All those cats are back. We will miss Tillery. I’m just thinking the defense takes a step backward, offense takes a step forward but the schedule due to the away layout is harder IMHO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT