ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone catch the Rees presser?

NDinNJ

I've posted how many times?
Nov 23, 2018
I read it, haven't watched it yet, but someone asked about Tobias Merriweather and why he hadn't seen the field. Rees' response was that he was looking for consistency. Well if that's the reason you're holding him back, then 3/4 of the offense shouldn't be on the field based on their inconsistencies.

Tommy, if you read this forum. You are depleted at WR, and you have a stud sitting on the bench waiting to get on the field. PUT HIM THE F*^K IN AND LETS SEE WHAT HE CAN DO! It can't possibly get much worse than it already is.

Playing time is earned, not given. How can you call a guy who hasn't played yet a " stud" ?
Look, ND is thin at WR, the offense has been putrid up to this point and I don't see it getting better. The kid was highly recruited out of high school, he has the size at 6'4". Give him a series of plays and see what he can do.
Rees talking about consistency when over 75% of the offense has been very inconsistent is hypocritical. Rotate the young guys in and see what they can do.

Reactions: Chitown11
I watched the interview and it was really bad looking for Rees. For someone to be COMPLETELY in charge of one of the worst offenses in college football he came off like the interview was beneath him. That people questioning what he's doing don't understand and the issues have nothing to do with coaching. (but of course he takes full responsibility) I thought it looked really bad.

In life and in business, it is much easier to say you are responsible and look good for saying that, but it is much more difficult to take action to remedy and ensure it doesn't happen again. TO say you're responsible then blame inexperience is a crock. Freeman and Rees talk about they take ownership but the team is inexperienced, blah blah blah.

We'll see if Rees truly believes if he is responsible or not. We'll know by who plays and how they are used. If you see Zeke and Lugg out there all game that's a bad sign, if we don't creatively use tyree, or two back sets getting them the ball in space, bad sign, if we don't get young TE talent or Tobias involved in passing game, bad sign. IF we just keep Pyne in the pocket 90% of his passes, bad sign.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: theskibro
can he run fast, can he run in a straight line, can he do those things in the directionhe is pointedin?
then
is there anyone on the QB roster who can throw him the ball?
if nothing else it would present a threat, no?

Reactions: NDinNJ
I read it, haven't watched it yet, but someone asked about Tobias Merriweather and why he hadn't seen the field. Rees' response was that he was looking for consistency. Well if that's the reason you're holding him back, then 3/4 of the offense shouldn't be on the field based on their inconsistencies.

Tommy, if you read this forum. You are depleted at WR, and you have a stud sitting on the bench waiting to get on the field. PUT HIM THE F*^K IN AND LETS SEE WHAT HE CAN DO! It can't possibly get much worse than it already is.
Same reason they kept Styles on the sideline last season until the bowl game and then what do you know, he looks like the best receiver on the team.

What this tells me is that next season Greathouse, James, and Flores will be watching from the sidelines if TR is back. It also tells me CJ Carr will be watching Buchner, Angeli or Pyne blow games while fans chant CJ, CJ, CJ from the stands.

Reactions: 96domer and NDinNJ
Same reason they kept Styles on the sideline last season until the bowl game and then what do you know, he looks like the best receiver on the team.

What this tells me is that next season Greathouse, James, and Flores will be watching from the sidelines if TR is back. It also tells me CJ Carr will be watching Buchner, Angeli or Pyne blow games while fans chant CJ, CJ, CJ from the stands.
This.

It's clear the buchner package last year kelly created because there were some slick plays, none of which have been used this year.

Reactions: NDinNJ

Pretty sure he played in all the games

his size and stamina were question marks so it’s not as black/white as you infer

Rees continues to show he is a complete clown show.

Hired to be the face of Kellys play calling and now can’t function on any level

Last edited:
he was underutilized
Not what claimed. You said he wasn’t used until the bowl game so I commented on it. Underutilized is a different story .

I also wanted to see him get more passes. Yet he was behind Mayer (future 1st rounder), Austin (the lead WR last year), Williams (already drafted), Davis (5th year senior who was good in slot before injury), and Lenzy, who had a total of 8 more catches over the season. We agree he should have seen more balls than Lenzy

I watched the interview and it was really bad looking for Rees. For someone to be COMPLETELY in charge of one of the worst offenses in college football he came off like the interview was beneath him. That people questioning what he's doing don't understand and the issues have nothing to do with coaching. (but of course he takes full responsibility) I thought it looked really bad.

In life and in business, it is much easier to say you are responsible and look good for saying that, but it is much more difficult to take action to remedy and ensure it doesn't happen again. TO say you're responsible then blame inexperience is a crock. It's like Biden admin having the same talking points to pretend that they aren't partially/mostly responsible for inflation. This is the same thing, Freeman and Rees talk about they take ownership but the team is inexperienced, blah blah blah.

We'll see if Rees truly believes if he is responsible or not. We'll know by who plays and how they are used. If you see Zeke and Lugg out there all game that's a bad sign, if we don't creatively use tyree, or two back sets getting them the ball in space, bad sign, if we don't get young TE talent or Tobias involved in passing game, bad sign. IF we just keep Pyne in the pocket 90% of his passes, bad sign.
Wow shocker, attacking Rees again. Did you do as I said? Did you send your resume to Jack, I mean clearly you know more about the players then our coaches do. It's amazing you even have the time to post, instead of preparing for your Saturday game. I mean surely you must be coaching somewhere

Wow shocker, attacking Rees again. Did you do as I said? Did you send your resume to Jack, I mean clearly you know more about the players then our coaches do. It's amazing you even have the time to post, instead of preparing for your Saturday game. I mean surely you must be coaching somewhere
I struggle with texting young adults to make sure they're doing what they should be doing.

IF you get the reference, you'll laugh, if you don't, you don't.

I struggle with texting young adults to make sure they're doing what they should be doing.

IF you get the reference, you'll laugh, if you don't, you don't.
So I guess Jack hasn't reviewed your extensive resume. No call yet?

In life and in business, it is much easier to say you are responsible and look good for saying that, but it is much more difficult to take action to remedy and ensure it doesn't happen again. TO say you're responsible then blame inexperience is a crock. It's like Biden admin having the same talking points to pretend that they aren't partially/mostly responsible for inflation. This is the same thing, Freeman and Rees talk about they take ownership but the team is inexperienced, blah blah blah.

Rees is probably bored because the reporters and fans don't understand the nuances or terminology of his offense. Which is true but we can see it doesn't work. Some people might say that we cannot criticize him unless we write n our own playbook.

My question is if the lack of deep routes is making us easy to defend. I saw in those Marshall clips that most receivers were 10 yards or less, making the defenders happy to jump on the short throws. Are we to take it that he isn't drawing up deep pass plays because our qbs cannot make the throws?

Holy shit, if there was EVER a time where random fans from the peanut gallery can be a forgiven for a little armchair coaching it is right now.....

I read the story, didn’t listen. The one thing that stood out to me was the progression timetable. Why is the offense so difficult to learn? If it takes several weeks for a young player to run 6 different plays correctly, there has to be an issue somewhere.

I read the story, didn’t listen. The one thing that stood out to me was the progression timetable. Why is the offense so difficult to learn? If it takes several weeks for a young player to run 6 different plays correctly, there has to be an issue somewhere.
Maybe we are no longer getting RKGs?

Reactions: Irish_Mutt

Just like the fans chanted Clausen, Clausen, Clausen from the stands? How many National Championships did this wanna be All-American deliver? All I'm trying to say is be patience and don't put more pressure on CJ than needed.

Well one thing is evident. Whatever scheme, looks or strategy Rees has been using the first two games hasn’t worked. Something needs to change. If the offensive line can get their act together that would be a start. If the line continues to struggle, nothing much will change.

I trust coaches,cwho are with these players all week to decide who has earned playing time, certainly over any keyboard coach on this board
3rd attempt at left tackle by coaches last year is our best offensive linemen this year and possibly last
Coaches benched zeke after 6 weeks and back up was immediately better

coaxhes can be stubborn to try and make what they want to work, work

Playing time is earned, not given. How can you call a guy who hasn't played yet a " stud" ?
Sure is....but not all 22 starters.

There are exceptions.
Every top program FINDS a way to get their very best talent on the field and involved. They might not start or play more than a dozen plays but they get them involved immediately if they're a premier talent.

Holtz did it...
Saban, Dabo, Kirby do it...

It still seems like a Brian Kelly way of life around ND and that is if you're an elite player on defense you'll get action.

If you're an elite talent on offense you must wait on the tenured players.
At the risk of being mediocre on offense?
You better believe it!!!Doesn't matter!!

Well one thing is evident. Whatever scheme, looks or strategy Rees has been using the first two games hasn’t worked. Something needs to change. If the offensive line can get their act together that would be a start. If the line continues to struggle, nothing much will change.
Even if that line plays lights out it won't matter against the top teams.

BTW...the line under HH has never dominated the LOS against a top opponent.
Never.
The stats speak for themselves.

5-10 for every paycheck he cashes

Playing WR is more than running fast and catching. A WR has to run precise routes, understand when to adjust his route, read the defensive back, block, etc. The coaches assess these skills in practice. A wrong route can result in an INT and then fans will criticize the QB. A HS stud doesn't always translate into an FBS stud.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
example: 2 Olympic gold medalists
Frank Budd
Bob Hayes
Both went to the NFL
1 knew how to play football fast , the other knew how to run fast. No one remembers Budd the football player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT