ADVERTISEMENT

Any surprises for recuiting tomorrow.....I have a couple;;;;;;;;;;;

No, I don't think so. The following teams are locks to finish ahead of us...

Alabama
Georgia
LSU
Texas A&M
Clemson
Ohio State

The following teams Notre Dame will be competing with for the last 6 spots...

Florida State
Texas
USC
Oregon
Oklahoma
Florida
Michigan
Penn State
Auburn
Washington
Tennessee
UCLA

ND will be legitimately in on about 7 top 100 players and I expect them to land 3-4 of them, but I don't think they have a good chance at any 5 star players in the cycle. Paris Johnson and Chris Tyree would be their best chance, but I'll believe either of those guys are coming to Notre Dame when I see it.

I see ND landing another deep class that fills its needs and puts them in a place to compete. That's all I can really ask for... But I don't see them landing a "statement" type of class that would serve notice. In a perfect world they'd kick down the door and recruit elite skilled talent to go with what is setting up to be another strong class along the OL, DL and at TE, but I'm not seeing any early evidence that it will be more than "par for the course" at RB, WR, LB, S and CB.
If Notre Dame lands a 5 star running back, scratch that, a top 150 ranked running back with Autry Denson as their coach I will give echo and Pennick the password to my account. Not happening. Dude is an awful recruiter.

I don’t see any surprises. Only foskey would be the surprise. Will be an elite class, just wish they had a standout RB or WR in the class
They are missing that Dexter, Kevin Austin type of recruit at the skill positions. That being said, Kyren looks to be the real deal and Kelly has quite a bit of success with WRs/skill position guys who weren't highly ranked or recruited- Fuller, Stepherson, Josh Adams, Procise, Chris Brown, and Jafar come to mind.

Nope, not on the OL... But that doesn't mean much. Rarely do you land an instant impact OL out of high school. Outside of a few freaks in every class, OL take time to develop and refine.

As a group I think the OL class is top 5 nationally, but I think only Andrew Kristofic and Quinn Carroll have the long term upside to be dominant and both are a long way from that physically and terms of technique. ND landed great class of fits, which is important, but they missed on the top tier guys for one reason, or another. The guys that have the size and skill right now to play college OL and the attitude to back it up...

5 star Darnell Wright, 6'6, 320lbs
5 star Kenyon Green, 6'4, 330lbs
5 star Wanya Morris, 6'5.5, 315lbs
5 star Logan Brown, 6'6, 290lbs
5 star Evan Neal, 6'7.5, 350lbs
5 star Clay Webb, 6'4, 295lbs
5 star Devontae Dobbs, 6'4, 305lbs
5 star Harry Miller, 6'4, 300lbs
5 star Kardell Thomas, 6'3, 350lbs
Top 100 Pierce Quick, 6'5, 290lbs
Top 100 Tyler Johnson, 6'5, 305lbs
Top 100 Amari Kight, 6'6, 315lbs
Top 100 Sean Rhyan, 6'5, 300lbs
Top 100 Caedan Wallace, 6'5, 295lbs
Top 100 Jonah Tuau'nu, 6'6, 315lbs
Top 100 Will Putnam, 6'4, 285lbs
Top 100 Doug Nester, 6'6, 315lbs

Most of those 18 guys had an ND offer (if they didn't it's because of academics), all of them are rated higher than anyone ND landed, the majority of them project as tackles or the type of road grader guards that the SEC teams run behind, and all of them are committed to programs ND will compete for future playoff spots with.

In a banner offensive line year, coming off a season in which ND's OL won the Joe Moore Award and put 2 top 10 OL the draft (both who were highly rated in their respective cycle), I was disappointed that ND couldn't land a bonafide stud LT prospect that isn't a project, let alone an OL ranked in the top 100, when there were 20 of them.

Loss of HH, Quinn wasn't able to build the relationships, and the loss of HH as a bullet in the gun of elite recruiters from other schools, probably all contributed. Quinn now has product to stand on so hopefully we get a tick upward this cycle.

Starting to sound like Asa Turner might be flipping from UW to ND. Rumblings only at this point but something to be watching tomorrow.

Don't let this guy fool you, the OL class is great. It seems the elite coaches and programs wanted them too, but I'm sure these weren't real, commitable offers right?

Carroll- Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Penn St, Florida St, Georiga, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Ohio St, Oklahoma, USC, Stanford

Olmstead- Florida, Florida St, LSU, Michigan, Ohio St, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Penn St, Ole Miss

Correll- Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, Michigan, Stanford, Penn St, Wisconsin, Oregon

Kristofic- Clemson, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio St, Stanford, Wisconsin, Penn St
Good job. I like Irish Ontario as poster. Value his opinions but really think he's smoking something re. his opinions on this yrs OL class and NDs recruiting prospects for 2020. This yrs OL class is outstanding . Arguably the best in country. 4 solid 4 stars with 2 guys Carrol and Kristofic with realistic 5 star upside. Zeke Carroll was a huge want at OSU and a significant recruiting loss for Meyer to ND again on an instate big time OL recruit. If ND doesn't get blown out by Clemson ( which is unlikely) they'll kick serious ass on the recruiting trail for 2020. They'll land at least 1 5 star and several near elite high 4 star recruits. ND will solidly in the top 10 by the end of the 2020 recruiting period. Solidly ! Never does ND not see an upgrade in recruiting results when it performs at a top level on the field. 2020 recruiting will reap the dividends of the 2019 ND season. Unless they fall off the table in field performance next season. Bank on it... ND recruiting is trending up. I'm not sure how anyone can downplay that reality

Reactions: sawfish1
Underwhelming overall especially at online and running back given recent success. As pointed out before its a sobering look at the state of the brand that they can not close on elite talent at these 2 positions over a 2 year period that has seen the production they have had and the record of the current team.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
I think this class will be perfectly in line with the rest of Kelly's recent classes. A very competitive group that is comprised of a number of future NFLer's and who, if coached well, will have ND in a position to make the playoffs… That's all we can really ask for.

What I think 2019 and 2020 (likely) will lack are those couple elite recruits that turn a really good class, into an amazing class... A Golden Tate, a former top 100 recruit, who went on to be a 1st team all American and win the Biletnikoff trophy as the nation's best WR, on route to the NFL. Hell, even a Harison Smith, who was another top 100 player who wound up as a 1st team All American at ND, and best safety ND has produced in 3 decades...

So wait... you don't think any of the top100 recruits that ND is landing could potentially turn out to be top100 players that blow up and become AAs? Why is that? Obviously if GT and HS were lower rated top100 players, not sure if anyone expected them to blow up either. What's different with this class?

If Notre Dame lands a 5 star running back, scratch that, a top 150 ranked running back with Autry Denson as their coach I will give echo and Pennick the password to my account. Not happening. Dude is an awful recruiter.
Yawn. AD is a great running back coach.

Go back to some of Kelly's early recruiting classes. I think ND got burned by chasing highly rated recruits irregardless of fit. Since then, ND's recruiting classes have been in the 9-15 range. Solid classes with less attrition and fewer off the field issues.

ND is landing 1 composite 100 recruit... Kyle Hamilton.

Nobody said that ND's kids won't pan out. It's an excellent class that could be comprised of as many as 19, 4 star players... I just think it's a short a few future national award contending types. Now may 1 or 2 emerge from the group? Sure that can absolutely happen. I'm just seeing those guys this age like we did with 5 stars like Manti, Jaylon, Stephon, Michael, etc.

Remember that year we got Clausen? Damn we rolled that year. What happened to the days when we’d pull in 4 5* players? I know Weis sucked at developing that talent but it’d be cool to recruit like that again.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
dont get all the negativity on this class. '18 was a great class and '20 has a chance to be great to elite. We needed this class to be a solid "glue" type of class where there wasnt a large dropoff and we did that. I get being in the playoff & expecting 5* guys to follow but we may not start to see that until next year, especially since the map is pretty favorable with alot of midwest talent. Our defense has 2 4* recruits at every position, thats not exciting to you?Our Oline doesnt have any 5* guys but still has 4 4* recruits, thats not exciting? There's alot of guys in this class that will see alot of time at ND

Reactions: Pennick4
dont get all the negativity on this class. '18 was a great class and '20 has a chance to be great to elite. We needed this class to be a solid "glue" type of class where there wasnt a large dropoff and we did that. I get being in the playoff & expecting 5* guys to follow but we may not start to see that until next year, especially since the map is pretty favorable with alot of midwest talent. Our defense has 2 4* recruits at every position, thats not exciting to you?Our Oline doesnt have any 5* guys but still has 4 4* recruits, thats not exciting? There's alot of guys in this class that will see alot of time at ND

I don't get where you see "All the negativity".... This is a narrative that seems to emerge on this board any time a poster says anything about Notre Dame that doesn't amount to "They are the best ever. Always".

I said Notre Dame landed a top 5 OL class that I happen to think is short a monster left tackle prospect, and somehow I'm shitting on the class in the mind of some... I could say "Notre Dame landed the best OL class in the country"... But I would be straight lying to you. Alabama did. Georgia was 2nd. Notre Dame's class enters the conversation after that.

So, are today's recruiting results the success expected from being 12-0, in the play-offs, BK stable in his job, great looking stadium, and a new football facility just about complete? Success breeds success. Is this what recruiting success looks like?

So, are today's recruiting results the success expected from being 12-0, in the play-offs, BK stable in his job, great looking stadium, and a new football facility just about complete? Success breeds success. Is this what recruiting success looks like?

At Notre Dame, yes... A class that could be comprised of 17, 4 star players, most of whom had big time offers. No "holes" in the class. Balanced recruiting, with kids that didn't waiver during the process, 10 of whom (including 7 linemen) that will enroll early.

This is absolutely what recruiting success looks like at ND in the modern era... I would say this is Notre Dame recruiting at 85%-90%... A couple 5 star game changer / difference makers would put ND in the 95%-100% range relative to it's recruiting capabilities in this landscape, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT