ADVERTISEMENT

Any chance ND goes back to having a grass field?

BleedingBlueNGold

Shakes Down The Thunder
Oct 13, 2009
Brian "The Whiner" Kelly did nothing but whine about getting field turf in Notre Dame Stadium. He finally got it, and still couldn't beat a top 10 team on it.

I think the field turf experiment in football is over. The players hate it. It has been empirically shown that players sustain more injuries on field turf. I believe Kelly argued that the game would be faster on field turf thus benefitting his offense but with no real evidence to back it up.

Games on field turf just don't feel the same. I want to see the players getting dirty as the game goes on. Seeing Hartman on the last drive tonight with some dirt on his white jersey running 16 yards for a first down made it way more dramatic. You can visualize the grit that he had to put the team on his back in that moment when their backs were against the wall. Notre Dame Stadium needs a natural grass field.

Brian "The Whiner" Kelly did nothing but whine about getting field turf in Notre Dame Stadium. He finally got it, and still couldn't beat a top 10 team on it.

I think the field turf experiment in football is over. The players hate it. It has been empirically shown that players sustain more injuries on field turf. I believe Kelly argued that the game would be faster on field turf thus benefitting his offense but with no real evidence to back it up.

Games on field turf just don't feel the same. I want to see the players getting dirty as the game goes on. Seeing Hartman on the last drive tonight with some dirt on his white jersey running 16 yards for a first down made it way more dramatic. You can visualize the grit that he had to put the team on his back in that moment when their backs were against the wall. Notre Dame Stadium needs a natural grass field.
I prefer the traditional grass field myself but i think they went to turf because they were having extreme difficulty maintaining the field. BK was complaining of the lack of ability to cut on the natural grass because the field was in such bad condition most of the time. And it was in bad condition due to the climate (not because of bad groundskeeping or anything)

No

Reactions: Pennick4
I prefer the traditional grass field myself but i think they went to turf because they were having extreme difficulty maintaining the field. BK was complaining of the lack of ability to cut on the natural grass because the field was in such bad condition most of the time. And it was in bad condition due to the climate (not because of bad groundskeeping or anything)
The climate changed that much since 2005? Also if the climate is getting warmer then growing in the north should be getting easier.

I mean, Green Bay is further north and does not have a problem maintaining real grass. The Bears and Browns also play on natural grass with no problem.

Reactions: cgaynor
I mean, Green Bay is further north and does not have a problem maintaining real grass. The Bears and Browns also play on natural grass with no problem.
Green Bay has a heated and moisture controlled field, the Bears only recently converted from artificial to Bermuda grass and the First Energy field also has an underground heating system, so there are problems if you don’t have the underground systems

No way. Field turf is better.

Our grass field was atrocious. Patches everywhere. Chunks of grass everywhere. Brown. Poor drainage.

It was so bad. I'm so glad we have turf now

2 guesses -- slim and none and slim just left the building.

Reactions: Chitown11

Our grass field was atrocious. Patches everywhere. Chunks of grass everywhere. Brown. Poor drainage.

That’s either a budget issue or a maintenance issue or both

Reactions: cgaynor
Probably both

And it was embarrassing
I am embarrassed that Jack neglected the grass to justify the artificial turf. He wanted fake turf so ND could host rock concerts and the like.

The climate changed that much since 2005? Also if the climate is getting warmer then growing in the north should be getting easier.
No the stadium grew taller and less sun hits the field. This was made even worse with the most recent addition. The reality is though if they put in proper drainage, heated field and brought in grow lights in the fall to keep it healthy yes they could have a great grass field. Will they? No. Not unless mandated.

Reactions: futuredomer
I love grass fields and would really love to see one at Notre Dame. But, ND could never grow a good, long-lasting one. If you don't believe me, go to YouTube and watch highlights from the 1973 USC game, which took place in mid-October on a field that was half dead.

Some of you who are older than 40 may remember that Purdue had great success with grass fields. Notre Dame hired their experts and it still didn't work.

Is the field below grade so it can't drain properly? That was one of the reasons Michigan, which had grass for awhile after getting rid of their Astroturf, switched back to artificial turf.

Some of you have mentioned Green Bay. Lombardi had electric coils installed in 1967. Much to his chagrin, they did not work well in the Ice Bowl. About 25 years ago, they put in a new heating system that uses pipes I believe with liquid in them that keeps the field about 40 degrees, even when it is super cold. Lambeau, like Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, also has a combination of grass turf and synthetic fibers.

I wouldn't mind if ND tried that solution.

Reactions: cgaynor and 1Redrum
The NFL Players Association has asked the league to convert all artificial turf fields back to grass due to their analysis related to injuries.

Hence, my guess is that ND will convert to grass within the next five years.

Green Bay has a heated and moisture controlled field, the Bears only recently converted from artificial to Bermuda grass and the First Energy field also has an underground heating system, so there are problems if you don’t have the underground systems
Understood, but ND has the money for an underground heating system. BTW, Green Bay also "stitches" their turf with a poly weave type of material that helps keeps the grass together.

Natural quarterbacks, offensive tackles, nose tackles and runningbacks....are preferable to artificial ones....But...they require maintenance to be ready for game day. If properly maintained....the type of turf is secondary.

I am not a fan of field turf. But it looks like it’s here for the foreseeable future. You know they played on real grass up until 2017 I guess. So if they played all those years with it , why can’t they play on real grass again ? Just saying

The NFL Players Association has asked the league to convert all artificial turf fields back to grass due to their analysis related to injuries.

Hence, my guess is that ND will convert to grass within the next five years.
No. Why would they.

For maintaining maybe. The quantitative data shows grass is safer. And the players also prefer it

No. Why would they.
Less injuries to the knees and ankles, simply a safer surface. Natural grass is the preference if the climate will allow it. I simply don't know if it's possible in South Bend..

The LA Coliseum and the Rose Bowl are both natural grass.

Reactions: Kelso86
I was at the game on Saturday. Duke's field is grass and it is in excellent shape. ND should play on grass.

Less injuries to the knees and ankles, simply a safer surface. Natural grass is the preference if the climate will allow it. I simply don't know if it's possible in South Bend..

The LA Coliseum and the Rose Bowl are both natural grass.
Northwestern, Penn State, and Michigan State all have grass fields and are similar climates to South Bend.

We’re one of the richest schools in the United States. If I’m hearing it’s budget issue… 🤮

Northwestern, Penn State, and Michigan State all have grass fields and are similar climates to South Bend.

We’re one of the richest schools in the United States. If I’m hearing it’s budget issue… 🤮
Ohio state and Michigan and Nebraska have turf

Not sure what your point is? Posters were wondering if it’s a climate reason why we can’t have grass…
I have no idea if South Bend and Notre Dame can maintain a natural grass surface.

I do know that natural grass is best regarding long term health for CFB and NFL players.

That's not even debatable.

It has nothing to do with climate. Purdue beautiful fields....I assume they still have natural grass. I'm guessing it is a drainage issue at ND.

Players association makes a lot of requests
Really, why don’t you list them for us.

Please list the requests that they’ve made this year, which is a non-collective bargaining year.

I have no idea if South Bend and Notre Dame can maintain a natural grass surface.

I do know that natural grass is best regarding long term health for CFB and NFL players.

That's not even debatable.
👍

Really, why don’t you list them for us.

Please list the requests that they’ve made this year, which is a non-collective bargaining year.
You’re a phoney and a fraud.

You don’t have a clue as to what the NFLPA has requested of the league

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT