ADVERTISEMENT

Another Running Back?

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
Trevor Speights from Stanford transferring with two years left.

We'll certainly win the College Bowl -- Stanford, Northwestern, ND -- with all these top twenty grad students around!

Lance recruited him to Stanford -- when he left Texas he had amassed 9,868 rushing yards, good enough to land him as the 4th all-time leading rusher in Texas high school football history -- still he sat behind McCaff and Love and was down on the depth chart after they left. Not sure I understand this one, unless one of the RBs in our stable is hurt (rumors of an achilles.)

Lance recruited him to Stanford -- when he left Texas he had amassed 9,868 rushing yards, good enough to land him as the 4th all-time leading rusher in Texas high school football history -- still he sat behind McCaff and Love and was down on the depth chart after they left. Not sure I understand this one, unless one of the RBs in our stable is hurt (rumors of an achilles.)
You can never have too much depth at skill potions.

Reactions: mbd11

Injury rumor & transfer rumor.
So might be down 2 at season’s start.

Who is maybe injured and who is maybe transferring?

No clue.

It was put out there by another site as a possibility, but then a player evidently then said it’s not true?
So as of now, it’s just a rumor. But ND doesn’t have room unless at least one RB isn’t available this season, so something is up?

If healthy he walks in the door as the most complete back on the roster. I love the move. I think smith and cbo for all their heart are just a lower tier than what nd is trying to put on the field going forward. If you can trade scout team talent for 2 years of a potential 3 down back you do it all day everyday.

Stanford RB (is there a reason we arent naming him?), Kyren, and tyree on a three deep is much more imposing than jafar, smith, cbo.

Gotta play the horses you have.

If healthy he walks in the door as the most complete back on the roster. I love the move. I think smith and cbo for all their heart are just a lower tier than what nd is trying to put on the field going forward. If you can trade scout team talent for 2 years of a potential 3 down back you do it all day everyday.

Stanford RB (is there a reason we arent naming him?), Kyren, and tyree on a three deep is much more imposing than jafar, smith, cbo.

Gotta play the horses you have.
Speights is the name I have heard. And hes hasnt done anything more than the backs on campus from what I read

Speights is the name I have heard. And hes hasnt done anything more than the backs on campus from what I read
Yeah i knew who it was, just curious if there was a reason we werent naming him. In college you are correct, however his toolset, hs experience, production and upside has always been higher than cbo and smith. If healthy.

I do not know who is hurt or whos transferring, but

Jafar is probably starting and id iather have speights than smith or cbo as the number 2 with tyree and kyren getting touches.

Transfer might be Avery Davis. He has to be graduating soon and is a really good athlete who never really got a chance. Likely won't see the field next year unless he moves back to corner again. He could be looking to play somewhere else next year.

Transfer might be Avery Davis. He has to be graduating soon and is a really good athlete who never really got a chance. Likely won't see the field next year unless he moves back to corner again. He could be looking to play somewhere else next year.
Would be a wise decision since he’s never given an opportunity.

Reactions: Kelso86
He has been given multiple opportunities at 4 different positions.
He could have transferred years ago... Im guessing one of smith, cbo, kyren (hope not)...as nd recruits higher rated rbs their path to pt drops and drops. Cbo could play meaningful minutes at a small school but barring injuries hes at best a 3rd option and thats being very generous. Smith has the look and body but is an injury concern. Kyren may see tyree and possibly shipley coming in as a sign he wont get starting time...

To me it makes sense any of those guys could move on.

Any word on whos possibly injured for the year?

He’s from McAllen, Tx. which is probably the worst competition in Texas high school football. The Rio Grande Valley is leaps and bounds behind most football programs across the state. Not trying to take anything away from the young man, but his high school stats are grossly inflated due to the lack of competition and schemes most teams run down in the valley (it’s seriously archaic).

Seems like a nice addition for depth purposes, but don’t expect this kid to do anything special. He is no better than any other horse we already have in the stable.

He could have transferred years ago... Im guessing one of smith, cbo, kyren (hope not)...as nd recruits higher rated rbs their path to pt drops and drops. Cbo could play meaningful minutes at a small school but barring injuries hes at best a 3rd option and thats being very generous. Smith has the look and body but is an injury concern. Kyren may see tyree and possibly shipley coming in as a sign he wont get starting time...

To me it makes sense any of those guys could move on.

Any word on whos possibly injured for the year?

There has been no names or even any sign of confirmation there is a transfer or injury. It is literally all rumors right now. It might not even be true.

I named him on the top of the thread! Jeez.

Look, he, Trevor Speights, hardly played last year. Was their lowest ranked RB in 2018 -- avg. 3.7/carry... If anything, not a lot of miles...

Something is up. He was recruited by Lance, so obviously he saw something in the kid that hasn't popped in Palo Alto.

This isn't a done deal yet, but apparently TREVOR SPEIGHTS is visiting ND...

I actually like our stable of young backs -- Jahmir looks like a strong inside runner but was nagged by injuries last year. Both C'bo and Kyren showed some explosiveness and Jafar, if healthy, can be a game breaker.

Lotta ifs... maybe that is why ND is looking at Speights.

I still believe Smith is the best RB long term.

He runs through stuff and has a nice burst.

He has to clean up his Pass Pro which is a big part of his not getting the reps that have gone to other guys but that is a teachable skill and why you have spring practice.

Reactions: Mizzo37
He’s from McAllen, Tx. which is probably the worst competition in Texas high school football. The Rio Grande Valley is leaps and bounds behind most football programs across the state. Not trying to take anything away from the young man, but his high school stats are grossly inflated due to the lack of competition and schemes most teams run down in the valley (it’s seriously archaic).

Seems like a nice addition for depth purposes, but don’t expect this kid to do anything special. He is no better than any other horse we already have in the stable.

Good background info, @clover3ND. His HS highlight tape said he ran a 4.38 40, but the ESPN recruiting page has him down with a 4.62 40. I presume the ESPN time was from a camp somewhere, so it's probably more accurate. If so, he's not a burner. I looked at a few minutes of his HS highlights and while it appeared he had decent speed, his highlights didn't make me go "wow."

I am not impressed with our RB stable now. Adding Speights won't improve it. Give the reps to Tyree, Kyren and Jahmir.

With the speed Avery Davis has they should move him to the slot receiver position and move Wilkins to CB. From what I heard on a previous podcast. Todd Lyght was high on Wilkins playing Corner.

With the speed Avery Davis has they should move him to the slot receiver position and move Wilkins to CB. From what I heard on a previous podcast. Todd Lyght was high on Wilkins playing Corner.

Wilkins is probably going to be starting at WR.
Him & Lenzy, & hopefully Austin.

Wilkins is probably going to be starting at WR.
Him & Lenzy, & hopefully Austin.
Who plays slot? Wilkins or Lenzy...I would think it would be Wilkins. But that would leave Keys as a backup, possibly getting very limited time again.

If only Nick Eddy had some eligibility left.

Remember Nick from Ara's early years.

Had a good strong running game back then, but strangely none of the 3 starting RBs, Eddy, Conjar, Wolski, had great stats. Probably due to the fact that Are really spread the load out among the three.

The running back position is a serious problem. I like Lenzy getting 5-7 carries with 2018 pre injury Jafar and some help from the freshman Tyree. It would surprise me if the Stanford kid, or Smith, or C’Bo or Davis or Kyren really pressured opposing defenses in the way Ciere Wood or Josh Adams or Dexter did. That pressure helps make everything else work. The other pieces are there.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
The running back position is a serious problem. I like Lenzy getting 5-7 carries with 2018 pre injury Jafar and some help from the freshman Tyree. It would surprise me if the Stanford kid, or Smith, or C’Bo or Davis or Kyren really pressured opposing defenses in the way Ciere Wood or Josh Adams or Dexter did. That pressure helps make everything else work. The other pieces are there.
Dont sleep on kyren.

Reactions: melstew

I expect Book to have 10 runs a game like last year. He is our leading returning rusher with 500 yards at a 4.9 ypc. We average 35 rushing attempts a game. That leaves 25 carries a game for others. RB by committee with 5 or so jet sweeps like you mentioned. Same as last year.

Rees will have to be really scheme to pump up the running game. Taylor needs to coach them up but I really think Tremble as an H Back might be our best weapon to help the rushing attack. More blockers than defenders so the RB can get to the second level.

Reactions: melstew
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT