ADVERTISEMENT

An objective view on Kelly ?

Patrirish

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2018
When Kelly left Cincinnati in the lurch, just prior to their upcoming bowl game, I had some misgivings.

I understood the need to start recruiting, but I felt that leaving Cincinnati at that point in time was …… improper.

But, Notre Dame was complicit and now Notre Dame is on the receiving end of the same situation.

At first I was critical of his rigidity, his failure to be flexible and to adjust.

My alarms bells rang again when he engaged in coaching discussions with the Eagles toward the end of the undefeated 2012 season. Again, the timing made me uncomfortabl.

What really bothered me was how he handled the Manti Te’o issue.
He essentially cast the kid adrift.
Teo was a young kid raised on a rock in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, about as unsophisticated as you can get and far removed from family and friends. At a time when Teo needed fatherly like support, Kelly distanced himself and isolated Te’o. Swarbrick, to his cr3dit, was very supportive of Te’o

One week ago Kelly publicly stated that he was staying at ND.

Kelly never contact Swarbrick until last night, which I found duplicitous.

Kelly submitted his resignation last night and did NOT seek a counter offer, nor was one made.

The timing couldn’t be worse.

Swarbrick indicated that he was not surprised, which surprised me, so something had to have changed since Kelly’s press conference last week.

Swarbrick indicated that there would not be an interim coach, promoted from within, AND, if there was, he would NOT get the Head Coaching job.

My uninformed conclusion.

The primary motivator was NOT money.

I believe that Kelly thought that the academic requirements inhibited his chances of winning a National Championship.

This was a sudden decision.

EGO, certainly played a role in this rather sudden decision.

However, I don’t know if Kelly analyzed the quality of the coaches and teams that he will face on a weekly basis.
They’re significant roadblocks to winning a NC.

So, how do I feel about this ?

BETRAYED !

And, I can’t bring myself to wish him good luck.

I just HOPE that ND doesn’t rush the process of selecting the next coach.

If I see anything good coming out of this, Swarbrick seemed to indicate that ND is NOW going to take extra steps to win a National Championship. I don’t know what that means, but I like the sound of it.

Taking our time and Hiring the right coach is critical

That’s all for now !

Nice breakdown - well stated. In life, people are who they are - BK is just being who he is. I know that's no consolation but it helps when you have to forgive and forget. I view this mess as exciting times - what coach worth his salt isn't looking at this and licking his chops.

ND is in position to potentially make the CFP and this was, by most standards, a down year for the team. The talent on this team and that in the pipeline is staggering. ND is on track to vie for a NC for years to come. I haven't been this excited for ND football since the 88-93 timeframe.

When Kelly left Cincinnati in the lurch, just prior to their upcoming bowl game, I had some misgivings.

I understood the need to start recruiting, but I felt that leaving Cincinnati at that point in time was …… improper.

But, Notre Dame was complicit and now Notre Dame is on the receiving end of the same situation.

At first I was critical of his rigidity, his failure to be flexible and to adjust.

My alarms bells rang again when he engaged in coaching discussions with the Eagles toward the end of the undefeated 2012 season. Again, the timing made me uncomfortabl.

Teo was a young kid raised on a rock in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, about as unsophisticated as you can get and far removed from family and friends. At a time when Teo needed fatherly like support, Kelly distanced himself and isolated Te’o. Swarbrick, to his cr3dit, was very supportive of Te’o

Kelly submitted his resignation last night and did NOT seek a counter offer, nor was one made.

Swarbrick indicated that he was not surprised, which surprised me, so something had to have changed since Kelly’s press conference last week.

Swarbrick indicated that there would not be an interim coach, promoted from within, AND, if there was, he would NOT get the Head Coaching job.

I believe that Kelly thought that the academic requirements inhibited his chances of winning a National Championship.

However, I don’t know if Kelly analyzed the quality of the coaches and teams that he will face on a weekly basis.

BETRAYED !

If I see anything good coming out of this, Swarbrick seemed to indicate that ND is NOW going to take extra steps to win a National Championship. I don’t know what that means, but I like the sound of it.

That’s all for now !
Pat, respectfully, it’s hard for any of us to be objective. The guy was polarizing to begin with, and the news of him leaving is like 14 hours old.

Reactions: tkirish
If Kelly ever lands an elite college QB, he could win a NC. That was the one thing his pass first offense has always missed. I think he is a bit of a dick but the man can coach.

BETRAYED !

That’s all for now !
When a coach loses and get fired to you feel the school BETRAYED! him?

The timetable has been moved up, for hiring and firing, on account of the recruiting timetable changing recently. Otherwise they would have waited longer for all this, for BK, for Lincoln Riley, etc. When NSD was in February, they could take they're time with it. Now, it's coming in two weeks, so they gotta get new coaches in immediately.

I'm pretty sure that's all it is...

As for all the superfans out there announcing how betrayed they feel, why don't you make a little home video like this one here and share it with the world. That oughta make you feel better....

Objectively, he turned around a program that people said you couldn’t be a consistent winner at, he upgraded facilities and made ND top 10 program annually. He has won what 10+ games a season the last 5 years. He won bowl games (minor ones). He did have a minor run in with the NCAA but that involved a rogue tutor and the NCAA way over reacted. Overall he ran a clean program

Objectively he failed to win a playoff game or NY6 bowl. ND has been a top 10 program but I’d argue in the 6-10 range. there’s room for improvement.

Id rank BK the best ND coach behind the national championship winners.

Kelly has been consistent throughout … he’s a spin doctor with a lot of substance to back things up. From Day 1 it’s been Brian Kelly not Notre Dame … he was close to being fired he made an impressive comeback and he ain’t gonna sit back and watch others cash in. He also clearly harbors some level of resentment for the ND way even if it’s his top selling message. He’s an adaptable guy not a principled guy.

Well, if he broke his promise to win, fails, gets fired, he does still get paid. What does ND get from this abandonment?
If fired he gets his buyout. If he quits during the contract period he pays his buyout. That is what both sides agree to in a contract. How is it not fair when it is bargained for? If he waits for the playoffs he screws every kid who signs in the early LOI period.

Also there is no "promise to win" in a coach's contract.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
When a coach loses and get fired to you feel the school BETRAYED! him?
That depends on the situation.
If they give him ample notice and conduct themselves properly and honor their financial commitments ……. NO

But if they give him no notice and blindside him when there are games to be played, then YES

If anyone wants an objective view on Kelly, he's not getting it from any of us. I suggest checking the KState or Texas Tech boards, they might be objective.

Reactions: IrishMike409
i‘m curious as to how he can get out of his contract with ND

Almost all coaching contracts have buy-outs.
There’s been no mention of that.

if there is a buy-out, will LSU pay for it?

And if they do, what are the tax consequences?

it should be reportable income to Kelly !

Dan Mullen's buyout was $6 million in a lump sum, the $1 million per year for the next 6 years. $12 million total.

Well it posiible there isn't one or it expired after some time but if the contract has no penalty then Kelly is free to leave as well.

You folks are all intuitive analysts and greatly respected Notre Dame fans.
As an ND alum, all I have to say is..... Let's Go Brian!!

Try to imagine what this board will be like IF Kelly wins a championship at LSU. It will be an absolute, complete mental breakdown from many of the highest order and the board will probably need to be shut down for an extended period of time.

Try to imagine what this board will be like IF Kelly wins a championship at LSU. It will be an absolute, complete mental breakdown from many of the highest order and the board will probably need to be shut down for an extended period of time.
If Kelly doesn't win a Natty at LSU, what does that say about Coach O and Les Miles? Two Hall of Famers...

Grow up people. It is a business first and far most and a job for coaches. He is getting a major pay increase without recruiting restrictions.
Freeman showed the world you can recruite with restrictions.
Maybe, it is time for him to go making 9.5 million a year to beat up on teams with much lesser talent. It was a good thing both Sanford and USC experienced down years basically guaranteeing seven wins, eight wins if you include Navy. ND plays five ACC schools every with Clemson being the exception no other team has sniffed a playoff game or even finished in the top 10 in how many years. Think about it. Sure BK took a program that was down in dirt and everybody was greatful for it, but ND needs to go to another level. Fickell has the pedigree for the job being he has done more with a lot less. Georgia close win last year in a bowl game is tainted because eight players did not play.
BK got his pay day and retirement fund be happy the cupboard is not bare and be happy for him. There are not eight easy wins in SEC land.

Well it posiible there isn't one or it expired after some time but if the contract has no penalty then Kelly is free to leave as well.
i can’t imagine having a contract that allows one party to opt out at will absent any restrictions or penalties, but, you never know.

The guy quit on the team while the team might make the playoffs. What does that say about his character, competitiveness and integrity? Good luck at LSU Brian Kelly. ND is better off without you.

Reactions: tkirish and rgc7
You really know nothing about “true” Notre Dame fans.

If Kelly wins a NC, more power to him, and more power to LSU for hiring him.

What Kelly does from here forward is of no concern to us.

Going forward Kelly isn’t in any way relevant to Norte Dame football.

Gloating just makes you look like another envious asshole !

Grow up people. It is a business first and far most and a job for coaches. He is getting a major pay increase without recruiting restrictions.
Freeman showed the world you can recruite with restrictions.
Maybe, it is time for him to go making 9.5 million a year to beat up on teams with much lesser talent. It was a good thing both Sanford and USC experienced down years basically guaranteeing seven wins, eight wins if you include Navy. ND plays five ACC schools every with Clemson being the exception no other team has sniffed a playoff game or even finished in the top 10 in how many years. Think about it. Sure BK took a program that was down in dirt and everybody was greatful for it, but ND needs to go to another level. Fickell has the pedigree for the job being he has done more with a lot less. Georgia close win last year in a bowl game is tainted because eight players did not play.
BK got his pay day and retirement fund be happy the cupboard is not bare and be happy for him. There are not eight easy wins in SEC land.
Kelly leaving ND wasn’t about money !

BETRAYED !

That’s all for now !
For me, no I don't blame him for taking his next challenge, his next opportunity. But I believe it is money. I'm disappointed in his character, stating just last week that he wasn't considering a change. And please spare me the parting "I love my players bullshit". He left a team that played their collective asses of and are a potential CFP team. Spare me the "playing for a national championship". All bullshit. He left them, abandoned them really, for more money. Hey take the money, I'm happy for him, but on the field, I hope he fails miserably. Just MHO

If fired he gets his buyout. If he quits during the contract period he pays his buyout. That is what both sides agree to in a contract. How is it not fair when it is bargained for? If he waits for the playoffs he screws every kid who signs in the early LOI period.

Also there is no "promise to win" in a coach's contract.
Honestly, I don't have his contract, nor do you, so we really don't know he pays a buyout.

BETRAYED !

That’s all for now !

By Swarbrick saying he wasn't surprised, he makes me think he was approached by Kelly (who was probably getting some nice phone calls) and Kelly said, "Hey Jack, we should talk. I'm at 3.5 mil per year and I'm considered one of 5 top coaches in college football. I am the all-time leader in wins here at Notre Dame, and (fill in here what BK knows about his place in all of CFB wins) I brought back respectability to the ND football program. Yet, I'm probably somewhere around 20th in pay. What say we do something about that?"

Then Jack says, "Well, Brian, we just had that talk last year and we agreed on an extension. Now you're not happy with our agreement?"

"Not really. If I was somewhere in the ballpark of the top 5 coaches, I don't need to be the top paid, just in the ballpark..."

"Well Brian, let's see what happens in 2 years, and I'm very excited as I'm sure you are, of what could happen in that time..."

"Okay, Jack."

Or something like that.

By Swarbrick saying he wasn't surprised, he makes me think he was approached by Kelly (who was probably getting some nice phone calls) and Kelly said, "Hey Jack, we should talk. I'm at 3.5 mil per year and I'm considered one of 5 top coaches in college football. I am the all-time leader in wins here at Notre Dame, and (fill in here what BK knows about his place in all of CFB wins) I brought back respectability to the ND football program. Yet, I'm probably somewhere around 20th in pay. What say we do something about that?"

Then Jack says, "Well, Brian, we just had that talk last year and we agreed on an extension. Now you're not happy with our agreement?"

"Not really. If I was somewhere in the ballpark of the top 5 coaches, I don't need to be the top paid, just in the ballpark..."

"Well Brian, let's see what happens in 2 years, and I'm very excited as I'm sure you are, of what could happen in that time..."

"Okay, Jack."

Or something like that.
NO, Swarbrick clearly stated that the first he was aware of the situation was Sunday night and that money was NEVER part of the discussion.

He wont.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT