ADVERTISEMENT

Al Washington

Washington doing a much better job recruiting than Elston did.
100% false

Elston landed in 5 years
Keeley
Vernon
Ford
Gobaira
Rubio
Mills
Jayson A

Washington didn't land anyone as highly recruited as the above i listed in the 23 class, nor are we favored for any in 24 class. We also lost our top DE recruit in the 24 class that was pretty much recruited by elston. We lost Keeley on washington's watch (yes i agree would probably lose him with elston too). With that said, to say Washington is recruiting better is wrong. Not only is he not recruiting better but pretty much every single Dline player took a step back this year under him. It's only been a year, but arrow is NOT pointing up with him.

I'm not even including the under the radar studs elston landed like Foskey and how well he developed and coached the line.

100% false

Elston landed in 5 years
Keeley
Vernon
Ford
Gobaira
Rubio
Mills
Jayson A

Washington didn't land anyone as highly recruited as the above i listed in the 23 class, nor are we favored for any in 24 class. We also lost our top DE recruit in the 24 class that was pretty much recruited by elston. We lost Keeley on washington's watch (yes i agree would probably lose him with elston too). With that said, to say Washington is recruiting better is wrong. Not only is he not recruiting better but pretty much every single Dline player took a step back this year under him. It's only been a year, but arrow is NOT pointing up with him.

I'm not even including the under the radar studs elston landed like Foskey and how well he developed and coached the line.
He didn't sign Vernon or Keeley so not giving him that

So basically 5 guys in 5 years. But how was the whole classes and the depths of those classes

He isn’t like either… he is significantly bigger/thicker, not as athletic and I don’t see the relentless motor both have….. he could be a good SDE but I don’t see him being a dynamic pass rusher or even close to that … I don’t even see rylie mills potential with him. But I don’t see him being that type of player like Hutchinson or karlaftis, he’s already a good bit bigger than both, who know maybe could grow into 3 tech
He has been coached up yet and has 3-4 years, so we don't know that he won't be as good either.

He didn't sign Vernon or Keeley so not giving him that

So basically 5 guys in 5 years. But how was the whole classes and the depths of those classes
Agree on Keeley, but Vernon became all ND once Elston landed him. You can tell by his interview that he wasn't a flight risk.

We always had very good depth under elston, definitely at least the last few years. I think we would have had very good depth this past year because he wouldn't have made the mistakes with Lacey and Mills. I do agree he could have added more size in the middle, but that was compounded by freeman trying to fit a round peg into a square hole and go 3 down a good bit. Once Freeman reduced this, the line played well last year. We did it a bit this year as well, but we had some bonehead mistakes in the use of the line this year. Lacey obviously was not getting enough snaps. It was clear his play warranted it. Mills at SDE at 295lbs made no sense when we needed interior help and Nana/Justin were doin solid at SDE.

Washington landed solid numbers his first year but no one that was really highly recruited by the big boys. Also, didn't do anything to sure up size in the middle, and a few of the guys are projects, with potential.

Agree on Keeley, but Vernon became all ND once Elston landed him. You can tell by his interview that he wasn't a flight risk.

We always had very good depth under elston, definitely at least the last few years. I think we would have had very good depth this past year because he wouldn't have made the mistakes with Lacey and Mills. I do agree he could have added more size in the middle, but that was compounded by freeman trying to fit a round peg into a square hole and go 3 down a good bit. Once Freeman reduced this, the line played well last year. We did it a bit this year as well, but we had some bonehead mistakes in the use of the line this year. Lacey obviously was not getting enough snaps. It was clear his play warranted it. Mills at SDE at 295lbs made no sense when we needed interior help and Nana/Justin were doin solid at SDE.

Washington landed solid numbers his first year but no one that was really highly recruited by the big boys. Also, didn't do anything to sure up size in the middle, and a few of the guys are projects, with potential.
Elston also had a lot of misses

Elston also had a lot of misses
No doubt, Elston wasn't perfect and we really didn't land that 315lb interior stud in his tenure. I did think it was going to be Darnell Ewell.. Just goes to show no matter how you are ranked, you have to have the mindset for it.

5 star DL player in MO Williams Nwaneri? We are crushing the offensive talent in MO. Getting corners. Where’s Al? Scott isn’t sold on ND. We have legacy kids that haven’t committed along the line. I get it that the job is hard and expectations are hard to meet, but Al Washington isn’t recruiting at the level of his peers, loses players like Keeley and Swain, couldn’t convince J Moore, and is not coaching them up to the level of the other ND coaches. We are getting high 4 or 5 star players literally everywhere else. It’s a serious problem and people just don’t like to do anything about it until it gets even worse.

Last edited:
5 star DL player in MO Williams Nwaneri? We are crushing the offensive talent in MO. Getting corners. Where’s Al? Scott isn’t sold on ND. We have legacy kids that haven’t committed along the line. I get it that the job is hard and expectations are hard to meet, but Al Washington isn’t recruiting at the level of his peers, loses players like Keeley and Swain, couldn’t convince J Moore, and is not coaching them up to the level of the other ND coaches. We are getting high 4 or 5 star players literally everywhere else. It’s a serious problem and people just don’t like to do anything about it until it gets even worse.
Last years 4 man class was better than most of Elstons.

100% false

Elston landed in 5 years
Keeley
Vernon
Ford
Gobaira
Rubio
Mills
Jayson A

Last years class was better than any Elston landed. Hardly 100% false.

I really don’t know why we are arguing Elston vs Washington anyway. He’s not here now and the guy we have does nothing well. Elston can coach, but it’s beside the point.

Last years 4 man class was better than most of Elstons.
But elston landed the top player in the 4 man class, Vernon has highest potential if he brings it at nd, the other 3 could be good or they could be complete misses, there’s low floors with them.

But elston landed the top player in the 4 man class, Vernon has highest potential if he brings it at nd, the other 3 could be good or they could be complete misses, there’s low floors with them.
Vernon has a low floor as well. And Vernon could have left to go play for a good school that hired Mike Elston. But he didn't. So Elston didnt land him. Because if Elston was so important Vernon would have been signed to Michigans class right now. But he's not.

And I'm not sure if Vernon has the highest ceiling of the class. He might. But Traore and Mukam both may have a higher ceiling than Vernon.

Vernon has a low floor as well. And Vernon could have left to go play for a good school that hired Mike Elston. But he didn't. So Elston didnt land him. Because if Elston was so important Vernon would have been signed to Michigans class right now. But he's not.

And I'm not sure if Vernon has the highest ceiling of the class. He might. But Traore and Mukam both may have a higher ceiling than Vernon.
Vernon admitted he put nothing into HS football last 2 years and other schools weren’t even interested. So yes agree his floor is low too, but don’t agree he just could have went somewhere else. No one wanted him.

Vernon admitted he put nothing into HS football last 2 years and other schools weren’t even interested. So yes agree his floor is low too, but don’t agree he just could have went somewhere else. No one wanted him.
So now “Vernon put nothing into football for 2 years”….same way that Moore was a silent commit, and recruiting is crashing?

He never said that. You are reaching here big time on what he said. And no one wanted him is absolute BS. You are full of shit. 3 stars that are ranked in the 1000s have teams after them

This was pathetic even for you

Reactions: BGI User 756
He never said that. You are reaching here big time on what he said. And no one wanted him is absolute BS. You are full of shit. 3 stars that are ranked in the 1000s have teams after them

This was pathetic even for you
He stated he had off field things he was working with throughout his last 2 years, and still. Stated he didn't work very hard and wasn't focused due to the off field things. I'm not making that up.

Also stated in the interview no one really came after him. Take that as you wish. Here's how i take it. Highly rated recruit, nd's HC leaves and DL coach that recruited him leaves, and other schools don't come calling trying to flip. Why? Because the film on him his last 2 years is really really bad. If he didn't have good sophmore year film he probably isn't even a 3 star. Many many teams wanted him including Ohio State after his Sophmore year, then that changed.

He played his Senior year at like 280-290lbs, then got down to 259 for AA bowl game. Good for him, hopefully that is the start of heading in the right direction.

So now “Vernon put nothing into football for 2 years”….same way that Moore was a silent commit, and recruiting is crashing?
What he said and the film backs it up. Yes, moore was a commit to the irish coaching staff. This isn't far fetched stuff being made up or rumors. I'd state it if it was just a rumor as I have a few times on other topics/players.

He stated he had off field things he was working with throughout his last 2 years, and still. Stated he didn't work very hard and wasn't focused due to the off field things. I'm not making that up.

Also stated in the interview no one really came after him. Take that as you wish. Here's how i take it. Highly rated recruit, nd's HC leaves and DL coach that recruited him leaves, and other schools don't come calling trying to flip. Why? Because the film on him his last 2 years is really really bad. If he didn't have good sophmore year film he probably isn't even a 3 star. Many many teams wanted him including Ohio State after his Sophmore year, then that changed.

He played his Senior year at like 280-290lbs, then got down to 259 for AA bowl game. Good for him, hopefully that is the start of heading in the right direction.
You're a dope

Reactions: BGI User 756
What he said and the film backs it up. Yes, moore was a commit to the irish coaching staff. This isn't far fetched stuff being made up or rumors. I'd state it if it was just a rumor as I have a few times on other topics/players.
No, you are very inclined to exaggerate, which you just did here. You keep extrapolating from one honest comment he made…and now, according to you, he did nothing in football for two years, and no one wanted him…and worse, you believe your own tales.

Did we lose Love yet? Another of your predictions.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
No, you are very inclined to exaggerate, which you just did here. You keep extrapolating from one honest comment he made…and now, according to you, he did nothing in football for two years, and no one wanted him…and worse, you believe your own tales.

Did we lose Love yet? Another of your predictions.
said love was slipping, super glad we held on, i do like him as a RB, but I wanted him to be part of bowen/edwards to huge playmaking

lost keeley, paige, moore, bowen, edwards.... edwards was the only one i didn't see coming. Those players right there we lost would be by far top DL player in years, by far top DB/S prospect this year, top QB i've seen film on in the country in a few years, 2nd best oline recruit this year, and best playmaker we've recruited in many years.......... but hey, no big deal, nothing to see here

said love was slipping, super glad we held on, i do like him as a RB, but I wanted him to be part of bowen/edwards to huge playmaking

lost keeley, paige, moore, bowen, edwards.... edwards was the only one i didn't see coming. Those players right there we lost would be by far top DL player in years, by far top DB/S prospect this year, top QB i've seen film on in the country in a few years, 2nd best oline recruit this year, and best playmaker we've recruited in many years.......... but hey, no big deal, nothing to see here
We lost all those guys? Really? Must have missed that …lol, sarcasm

Again with your rewriting of history. Keeley was gone 3 months before your famous quote . If there is a place we can afford a loss, it was OL, (Paige is a good tackle prospect for sure, why haven’t you commented on his slipping down the rivals 250)? Doesn’t suit your “world is ending” posts? Using “crashing” was beyond hyperbole. Moore was never on the list in spite of your agenda to say such. You said Love was gone, he wasn’t. You had no idea on Edwards when you posted “crashing”. And Bowen had you backpedal with his Oregon stunt.

Just give the drama a rest

Vernon is not coming to ND for Al Washington. He wants to get away from Ohio. ND recruited him early and he stuck. If I were to give anyone credit for Vernon it would be Elston and Freeman. Washington came in and I don't think Vernon cared one way or the other.

Vernon is not coming to ND for Al Washington. He wants to get away from Ohio. ND recruited him early and he stuck. If I were to give anyone credit for Vernon it would be Elston and Freeman. Washington came in and I don't think Vernon cared one way or the other.
So Keeley leaves and its Washingtons fault. Vernon stays and its Elstons credit

Fit your narrative I see

We lost all those guys? Really? Must have missed that …lol, sarcasm

Again with your rewriting of history. Keeley was gone 3 months before your famous quote . If there is a place we can afford a loss, it was OL, (Paige is a good tackle prospect for sure, why haven’t you commented on his slipping down the rivals 250)? Doesn’t suit your “world is ending” posts? Using “crashing” was beyond hyperbole. Moore was never on the list in spite of your agenda to say such. You said Love was gone, he wasn’t. You had no idea on Edwards when you posted “crashing”. And Bowen had you backpedal with his Oregon stunt.

Just give the drama a rest
Yeah the famous quote was due to recruiting slipping losing keeley and moore then we quickly lost 3 more. If we had just lost moore or just lost keeley we would be probably 3rd in recruiting, instead we went from 1st place in recruiting to now 9th and could end up 10th or 11th.

SO yes, going from 1st to 9th is NOT good and why i made the comments i did. I hate that I was right, but i was. That's the type of slip you see from something bad happening in a program. Only thing obviously bad is our 2 losses to stanford and Marsh. We flat out had our players taken for money, development, etc.

Last edited:
If you can't be objective and see that Washington isn't doing a great job so far, then that's complete freeman/homer blinders. With that said, he's been here for a year and it hasn't been a disaster so he should get 23 season for development and the 24 class for recruiting. If both aren't improved by the end of this year, Freeman HAS to look elsewhere. You can not have an average or even slightly above average dline and win it all.

Golson, you are the one stating keeley also left for better development at Bama. I would think losing elston, a great dline developer would hurt there vs washington who hadn't at the time proven anything, then had a poor year with the dline.

If you can't be objective and see that Washington isn't doing a great job so far, then that's complete freeman/homer blinders. With that said, he's been here for a year and it hasn't been a disaster so he should get 23 season for development and the 24 class for recruiting. If both aren't improved by the end of this year, Freeman HAS to look elsewhere. You can not have an average or even slightly above average dline and win it all.

Golson, you are the one stating keeley also left for better development at Bama. I would think losing elston, a great dline developer would hurt there vs washington who hadn't at the time proven anything, then had a poor year with the dline.
Washington didnt do a great job. He also didnt do a poor job either. We landed a good 4 man class but it could be better and it needs to be. But it was far from bad and it was better than some of Elstons classes

Keeley blew up after he committed to us. We weren't going to keep him if Elston stayed or not. Alabama developed 1st rounders consistently. Elston and Washington have not.

Yeah the famous quote was due to recruiting slipping losing keeley and moore then we quickly lost 3 more. If we had just lost moore or just lost keeley we would be probably 3rd in recruiting, instead we went from 1st place in recruiting to now 9th and could end up 10th or 11th.

SO yes, going from 1st to 9th is NOT good and why i made the comments i did. I hate that I was right, but i was. That's the type of slip you see from something bad happening in a program. Only thing obviously bad is our 2 losses to stanford and Marsh. We flat out had our players taken for money, development, etc.
Your quote was 3 months after Keeley decommitted and Moore had not yet announced but was expected. ND had already moved elsewhere. You were claiming Love and others were going. Glad your panties are no longer bunched up

Your quote was 3 months after Keeley decommitted and Moore had not yet announced but was expected. ND had already moved elsewhere. You were claiming Love and others were going. Glad your panties are no longer bunched up
it was 1 month after keeley just to set record straight, 3 months after Moore

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT