ADVERTISEMENT

Al Washington

Notre Dame du Lac

Posts Like A Champion
Oct 9, 2021
Can’t afford to move slow in this business. Don’t play the he has a lot to prove card. Too late. Move on. He’s the weak link. Get someone else asap. He F’d up this recruiting class, is F’ing up ‘24, and the D line regressed. Bye!

Reactions: Raymond G
Can’t afford to move slow in this business. Don’t play the he has a lot to prove card. Too late. Move on. He’s the weak link. Get someone else asap. He F’d up this recruiting class, is F’ing up ‘24, and the D line regressed. Bye!
Email Marcus Freeman.

This is a good DL class. Could be better for sure but still a really good class

Traore, Vernon, Mukam, Houstan is a good class

You're acting like we're getting trash

Not good enough and honestly we were better without Washington. ND should do better.

Not good enough and honestly we were better without Washington. ND should do better.
It's really good. And Zinter might be moving to Vyper as well. That's a really good 5 man class if so

Washington has to get better but if you can stack 5 man classes like that on top of each other, your DL is going to be stacked. Needs a pass rusher or 2 this next class

Wafle is a good start. Strong as an ox run stopper. Now we need some srid rushers.

It's really good. And Zinter might be moving to Vyper as well. That's a really good 5 man class if so

Washington has to get better but if you can stack 5 man classes like that on top of each other, your DL is going to be stacked. Needs a pass rusher or 2 this next class

Wafle is a good start. Strong as an ox run stopper. Now we need some srid rushers.
I don’t see really good at all… I think Vernon has become a dud not a dude, and I don’t see much high end potential. Wafle is strong but we still haven’t landed someone imho that can be a beast and make teams game plan around. The 23 class has good depth but i don't see the top talent.

In 21 we got one good one, 22, maybe 2-3, 23 class has has a few solid players but we just aren't landing studs.

Dline is as critical as oline to a championship, there's a reason our Rush D has been getting worse the last 2 years and especially this year, some of it coaching, some of it dline, some of it lbs.

Last edited:
I don’t see really good at all… I think Vernon has become a dud not a dude, and I don’t see much high end potential. Wafle is strong but we still haven’t landed someone imho that can be a beast and make teams game plan around. The 23 class has good depth but i don't see the top talent.

In 21 we got one good one, 22, maybe 2-3, 23 class has has a few solid players but we just aren't landing studs.

Dline is as critical as oline to a championship, there's a reason our Rush D has been getting worse the last 2 years and especially this year, some of it coaching, some of it dline, some of it lbs.
Thanks Mel Kiper.

Reactions: NDinNJ
23 is a big year for a lot of coaches. The team needs to be ascending and 10-2 has to be worst case for 23. As much as I think its ridiculous how bad our coaches have done at times and emotionally react to slightly get a rise out of some posters, I don't think any coach should be let go after 22 unless we have an absolute home run to replace them. With that said, 23 must be a successful season on and off the field.

Vernon is a high floor kid even if his ceiling isnt as high. Hes huge and long. Solid athlete. High floor kids are still valuable. Hes better than a Hinish who was valuable and playing on sundays

Houstan is another high floor kid. Very solid, some think hes underrated

Mukam has an extremely high ceiling. Traore has a high ceiling as well

Zinter is getting taller and putting on weight. He can be a steal. We'll see there.

5 guys of that caliber is really good. Is it elite? No. But its really good

Last 2 classes

Vyp - Burnham, Gobaira, Zinter
DT - Houstan, Hinish
DT- Ford, Vernon
DE - Traore, Mukam

You can win a lot of games with that group. It's deep

sometimes, we forget we talking about, real people; comments can be inferred without being blatantly cruel
It's not cruel to replace people making more money in 1 year than you likely make in 20. I don't feel bad one bit. It's called capitalism. These people are rich. Nothing sadder to see than poor people that "feel bad" for a well ass payed coach that gets the boot (most of whom care less about the actual school than the fans) only to land some other well ass paying coaching job elsewhere. It comes with the territory.

Reactions: eshupe
Vernon is a high floor kid even if his ceiling isnt as high. Hes huge and long. Solid athlete. High floor kids are still valuable. Hes better than a Hinish who was valuable and playing on sundays

Zinter is getting taller and putting on weight. He can be a steal. We'll see there.

Last 2 classes

DT - Houstan, Hinish
DT- Ford, Vernon
DE - Traore, Mukam

Does "high floor" mean he's already good and doesn't have a lot of room to grow or does it mean he's raw and has a lot of growth potential? I hear people using this both ways and they convey opposite meanings. For instance, in economics, a high floor would be a price set above the market price (current value). Given that, I read "high floor" as a guy that is far exceeding his potential. But this might not be right in college football vernacular. I legit do not know what these phrases mean.

Last 2 classes

DT - Houstan, Hinish
DT- Ford, Vernon
DE - Traore, Mukam

Vernon is a big dude no doubt, i just don't see the motor and passion. Yes i know he was doubled a lot this year but that shouldn' stop a supposed stud in HS.

Ah, i don' love that group because I see us struggling up the middle there similar to this year. I also don't see someone with the potential to get 10 sacks in a season. We'll see next year of burnham and gobaira have potential. Gobaira might be the one i have some hope for off the edge.

Yeah you can win games with that group, but are THEY going to be a big reason why you win. I don't see that part.

sometimes, we forget we talking about, real people; comments can be inferred without being blatantly cruel
You mean like when an adult refers to a 17-year-old, who is many months away from even stepping foot on a CFB field, as a "dud..," and goes on to question the kid's "motor and passion..," and again, he hasn't even attended a CFB practice yet?

You mean like when an adult refers to a 17-year-old, who is many months away from even stepping foot on a CFB field, as a "dud..," and goes on to question the kid's "motor and passion..," and again, he hasn't even attended a CFB practice yet?
So we shouldn't watch film of recruits and form an opinion? We should just assume every recruit we have is awesome. Makes sense since we have 0 championships in the last 30 years.

Not really sure how you can watch vernon's film and be super excited. There's a reason he started out so high recruiting and constantly dropped.

I agree but the discussion needs to be had. Washington had a great class handed to him and is going to sign a good class. He has recruited very iffy since arriving.

Dl play was definitely, at least technically, a step back. Personally I don't blame Washington for this as much because Notre Dame is way undersized for the scheme being run.

I do think when self reviewing the season HC will talk to Washington. I don't think you have to move right now, but you absolutely have to put him on notice that the status quo isn't good. Enough.

Reactions: eshupe
I agree but the discussion needs to be had. Washington had a great class handed to him and is going to sign a good class. He has recruited very iffy since arriving.

Dl play was definitely, at least technically, a step back. Personally I don't blame Washington for this as much because Notre Dame is way undersized for the scheme being run.

I do think when self reviewing the season HC will talk to Washington. I don't think you have to move right now, but you absolutely have to put him on notice that the status quo isn't good. Enough.
Agree. They weren't terrible, but they were not as close to as disruptive as i thought they should have been.

Like you said, i really don't understand why freeman won't run a scheme that suits our players vs run the scheme we did. Yes Bolden is DC, and you some some slight changes, but this is still freemans overall scheme.

We had our interior dline trying to take on doubles despite being undersized. The intent seemed to be, dline try to take on doubles to free up lb blitzes. You need different dline to do that. Mills was probably the best at times and even he was used at SDE incorrectly a lot. In the end, the oline a good bit handled out dline 1-1 since they weren't shooting gaps, making it much easier to pick up the blitzing lbs.

How many times did we see Jayson A getting pushed back in short yardage instead of shooting gaps. You can play a smaller quicker dline but they need to be disruptive. We would go to 3 down and go even smaller. 3 down may have been ok if you had Jayson, mills, and cross. But a lot of 3 down was justin, foskey, and one of the 3 i mentioned.

Also, we aren't landing big interior dlinemen recruiting.

Does "high floor" mean he's already good and doesn't have a lot of room to grow or does it mean he's raw and has a lot of growth potential? I hear people using this both ways and they convey opposite meanings. For instance, in economics, a high floor would be a price set above the market price (current value). Given that, I read "high floor" as a guy that is far exceeding his potential. But this might not be right in college football vernacular. I legit do not know what these phrases mean.
High floor means to me he's already good player and at worst he's going to be a solid player. He's filled out pretty well. He may be close to being tapped out physically or athletically so maybe not the crazy high upside

I think at worst he's a solid rotation player and potential good starter

Vernon is a big dude no doubt, i just don't see the motor and passion. Yes i know he was doubled a lot this year but that shouldn' stop a supposed stud in HS.

Ah, i don' love that group because I see us struggling up the middle there similar to this year. I also don't see someone with the potential to get 10 sacks in a season. We'll see next year of burnham and gobaira have potential. Gobaira might be the one i have some hope for off the edge.

Yeah you can win games with that group, but are THEY going to be a big reason why you win. I don't see that part.
Goabaira Burnham Mukam Traore all have the ability to get 10 sacks if they pan out

I agree he should be put on notice.

Just disagree with people saying this class isn't any good at DL

I think the main discussion here, is that this class was mostly in place before Washington... So the quality of the class at large isn't a result of his work, but the losses that occured were on his watch.

I think this is a solid class, but most are high ceiling developmental guys that will need a couple of years and is not instant impact. Moreover, we have an immediate need at rush end that likely isn't going to be filled with this class....and that is a miss that does count against Washington. Hopefully he can find one in the transfer portal, but that's a tough ask.

Goabaira Burnham Mukam Traore all have the ability to get 10 sacks if they pan out
I’m talking in a single year … a really good college edge rusher, maybe one of them becomes that but no one would project it or bet on it

I’m not saying it’s not good but i feel it’s good for depth not top talent, we need some top talent as well

I’m talking in a single year … a really good college edge rusher, maybe one of them becomes that but no one would project it or bet on it
Project it yes. Bet on it, no. Not many I would ever vet on that anyway

I think the main discussion here, is that this class was mostly in place before Washington... So the quality of the class at large isn't a result of his work, but the losses that occured were on his watch.

I think this is a solid class, but most are high ceiling developmental guys that will need a couple of years and is not instant impact. Moreover, we have an immediate need at rush end that likely isn't going to be filled with this class....and that is a miss that does count against Washington. Hopefully he can find one in the transfer portal, but that's a tough ask.
Traore, Houstan and Mukam all committed to Washington.

Vernon was Elston.

If Ademilola comes back, you have him, Botelho, Gobaira, Burnham. Thats 4 guys, just gotta get one of them to be that pass rusher. And theres also the portal.

Traore, Houstan and Mukam all committed to Washington.

Vernon was Elston.

If Ademilola comes back, you have him, Botelho, Gobaira, Burnham. Thats 4 guys, just gotta get one of them to be that pass rusher. And theres also the portal.
And that would be a step back from the last five years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT