ADVERTISEMENT

After three games,

Telx1

I've posted how many times?
May 13, 2012
are you looking right or wrong on your player expectations? I've a mixed bag, but more wrong than right. To list a few:
1. Expected St Brown to have a break out year, and that still looks like a good bet.
2. Expected MZ to make major contributions at the QB position, and that has not materialized.
3. Expected Nelson to absolutely dominate, and he hasn't.
4. Expected Trumbetti to have breakout year with move to WDE, and not happening.
5. Expected J Jones to be our best DL, and he's not.
6. Expected Tillery to show discipline and make major contribution, and this looks good.
7. Expected Cole Luke to be among the best corners in college football, and he's not.
8. Expected Redfeld to have a great season, and he's gone.
9. Expected Sanders to be among the best return guys, and he still may be.
10. Expected D Hayes to have an impact on passing downs, but still a work in progress.

Also expected the defense to exhibit good fundamentals, show a great understanding of BVG's complex defense, confuse the opposing QB with aggressive blitz packages, etc... but that's been thoroughly discussed. Just didn't want to single out players without at least acknowledging the terrible job of coaching BVG has done, etc...

I think you need to put your last paragraph first....

Because that is precisely why those players have regressed or just stayed stagnate.

There is no development going on with defense. Truth be told these players nearly everyone...on defense all look better as freshmen and sophomore than as junior and senior.
Why is that.
Joe Schmidt got worse the longer he was here...
Cole Luke was a very good looking athletic freshman
Trumbetti was creating havoc as a freshman

Why do these players make you say.....who is that when they are freshmen, but as a junior and senior they become an empty jersey?
1 player?

2 players?

How about everyone. This the worst and saddest telling stat of our defense.

P.s

If any team watched Cole Luke as a fr,so they would have thought in two years we will have to stay away from his side of the field.

Now??? Now the other team picks on Cole Luke.

Pretty awesome player development going on in south bend these days.

are you looking right or wrong on your player expectations? I've a mixed bag, but more wrong than right. To list a few:
1. Expected St Brown to have a break out year, and that still looks like a good bet.
2. Expected MZ to make major contributions at the QB position, and that has not materialized.
4. Expected Trumbetti to have breakout year with move to WDE, and not happening.
6. Expected Tillery to show discipline and make major contribution, and this looks good.
7. Expected Cole Luke to be among the best corners in college football, and he's not.
10. Expected D Hayes to have an impact on passing downs, but still a work in progress.

Also expected the defense to exhibit good fundamentals, show a great understanding of BVG's complex defense, confuse the opposing QB with aggressive blitz packages, etc... but that's been thoroughly discussed. Just didn't want to single out players without at least acknowledging the terrible job of coaching BVG has done, etc...
Pleasant surprises:
-Right side of O-line
-CJ Sanders
-Young wideouts not counting St. Brown
-Onawalu
-Kizer
-Morgan

As expected:
-St Brown and Hunter are studs
-Young DBs have their negative moments, but are doing pretty well given the circumstances
-Left side of O-line

Disappointments:
-Cole Luke (visions of freakin' Gary Gray on the third and 7 play at the end of MSU game)
-Running back consistency
-Folston missing his old burst
-Zaire, though maybe that's a blessing
-Vets on the DL, like JJ, Trumbetti and Rochelle
-Punting consistency
-Martini (to his credit he looked better at end of MSU game)
-Tranquill (can't have a slow guy back there if he can't make tackles)
-Overall defense, especially on 3rd down
-Tackling, tackling and tackling

Reactions: Telx1
Pleasant surprises:
-Right side of O-line
-CJ Sanders
-Onawalu
-Kizer
-Morgan

As expected:
-Young DBs have their negative moments, but are doing pretty well given the circumstances
-Left side of O-line

Disappointments:
-Cole Luke (visions of freakin' Gary Gray on the third and 7 play at the end of MSU game)
-Running back consistency
-Folston missing his old burst
-Vets on the DL, like JJ, Trumbetti and Rochelle
-Punting consistency
-Martini (to his credit he looked better at end of MSU game)
-Tranquill (can't have a slow guy back there if he can't make tackles)
-Overall defense, especially on 3rd down
You know what the sad part is there about your list of disappointments? Most of it is correctable through coaching.

Excellent post. Spot on. Biggest disappointment for me besides defense is Zaire. I guess his Texas game was his best and his Virginia game before he got hurt more indicative of his play. He Is flat out bad. Luke exposed because he is the man and there is no one else to help out.

Reactions: Bodizephax

I read on another site from a poster that went to the game and said Quenton Nelson was a beast against Michigan State. I am going to watch him closely against Duke to see how he does.

Pleasant surprises:
-Right side of O-line
-CJ Sanders I EXPECTED
-Onawalu FAIR
-Kizer EXPECTED ..CLEARLY SPECIAL
-Morgan FAIR, LOTS OF IMPROVEMENT ROOM

As expected:
-Left side of O-line

Disappointments:
-Cole Luke (visions of freakin' Gary Gray on the third and 7 play at the end of MSU game) COACHING
-Running back consistency COACHING
-Folston missing his old burst NEVER HAD IT
NEEDS ON THE FIELD IN ANOTHER POSITION
-Vets on the DL, like JJ, Trumbetti and Rochelle COACHING..EVERY VET REGRESSES UNDER BVG
-Punting consistency SPCL TEAMS SUCKS
-Martini (to his credit he looked better at end of MSU game) HEAVY FOOTED
NEEDS TO PLAY INSIDE
-Tranquill (can't have a slow guy back there if he can't make tackles) COACHING ..ANOTHER RETURNEE WITH PROMISE REGRESSING
-Overall defense, especially on 3rd down COACHING COACHING COACHING
COACHING COACHING COACHING OF LAZY LAZY LAZY PLAY

Pleasant surprises:
-Right side of O-line
-CJ Sanders I EXPECTED
-Onawalu FAIR
-Kizer EXPECTED ..CLEARLY SPECIAL
-Morgan FAIR, LOTS OF IMPROVEMENT ROOM

As expected:
-Left side of O-line

Disappointments:
-Cole Luke (visions of freakin' Gary Gray on the third and 7 play at the end of MSU game) COACHING
-Running back consistency COACHING
-Folston missing his old burst NEVER HAD IT
NEEDS ON THE FIELD IN ANOTHER POSITION
-Vets on the DL, like JJ, Trumbetti and Rochelle COACHING..EVERY VET REGRESSES UNDER BVG
-Punting consistency SPCL TEAMS SUCKS
-Martini (to his credit he looked better at end of MSU game) HEAVY FOOTED
NEEDS TO PLAY INSIDE
-Tranquill (can't have a slow guy back there if he can't make tackles) COACHING ..ANOTHER RETURNEE WITH PROMISE REGRESSING
-Overall defense, especially on 3rd down COACHING COACHING COACHING
COACHING COACHING COACHING OF LAZY LAZY LAZY PLAY

Reactions: IrishBlessings
I read on another site from a poster that went to the game and said Quenton Nelson was a beast against Michigan State. I am going to watch him closely against Duke to see how he does.
Bodi, interesting. I sure didn't see domination against MSU, but I just sit and watch line play in general, and not any one player in particular unless they stand out, either good or bad. Hope the poster is right and we see this for the remainder of the season. Think I'll start recording the games so I can focus on a few individual players in replay. Haven't wanted to watch any of the three games played a second time!

Reactions: Bodizephax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT