ADVERTISEMENT

5 Special Teams mistakes today

bostonirish84

Irish Insider
Mar 31, 2010
How does this SP Teams coach still have his job?
1. Punt hits the Troy Pride and changed the entire momentum of the game.
2. Blocked Punt
3. Let up a big punt return in the 4th quarter
4. Onside kick. Looked awful on that play
5. Sanders botch for a TD.

WOW. Just WOW!!!

Booker's group has done better in years past---BUT these young guys act like they NEVER played football before!!?? That's what I do NOT understand about our supposedly "smart" players.......sheesh. Thank goodness we kept it from OT.

How does this SP Teams coach still have his job?
1. Punt hits the Troy Pride and changed the entire momentum of the game.
2. Blocked Punt
3. Let up a big punt return in the 4th quarter
4. Onside kick. Looked awful on that play
5. Sanders botch for a TD.

WOW. Just WOW!!!
You've got me.Kelly has never taken special teams serious.

Jack takes him serious, only one that matters. That looked like a team that wanted to play for their coach, so I don't buy the whole BK has lost his team.

I don't think coaching has anything to do with 3 bone head plays - Sanders, Pride, Elliott. Those were mistakes you know better by the time you're 15. But you wouldn't know that Pers, you've never laced em up or wore a jock in your life.

Jack takes him serious, only one that matters. That looked like a team that wanted to play for their coach, so I don't buy the whole BK has lost his team.

I don't think coaching has anything to do with 3 bone head plays - Sanders, Pride, Elliott. Those were mistakes you know better by the time you're 15. But you wouldn't know that Pers, you've never laced em up or wore a jock in your life.

Sure he has.....on his head.

In his 15,672nd post, he admitted to sniffing one

Reactions: Bodizephax
There's no denying ND special teams play has been subpar during most of Kelly's tenure. You have to conclude that his ST coaches have been marginal, or that Kelly himself does not devote enough practice time to this. The ST play tonight almost ruined a spirited effort. It was great to see Adams running hard, the DL getting push and making a lot of big plays against the run, and the overall effort on the field. Take away the ST blunders, and we win by double digits. This team and the fan base needed a win like this.

There's no denying ND special teams play has been subpar during most of Kelly's tenure. You have to conclude that his ST coaches have been marginal, or that Kelly himself does not devote enough practice time to this. The ST play tonight almost ruined a spirited effort. It was great to see Adams running hard, the DL getting push and making a lot of big plays against the run, and the overall effort on the field. Take away the ST blunders, and we win by double digits. This team and the fan base needed a win like this.

I beg to disagree. Miami had 4th and 4 at the ND 45. They are going to pooch or get into the end zone. There is not going to be a run back on that play. No one should have been back to receive a kick. That is coaching. No reason for Sanders to be there; none.

You touch on the major issue with Kelly. Either the defense can't stop the run or it can't stop the pass; the offense can't run or it can't pass; our special teams make mistakes or we give up the big play. There is never complete, well-coached team from top to bottom. He came close in 2012, and while I never expected us to beat Alabama, the Kelly flirtation with the NFL and the Manti imaginary girlfriend coverup were just more examples of a piss poor operation.

Shut your cheeto eating grape soda drinking trap Purse! We won the damn game ! Notre Dame won ! And you keep machine gunnin your monkey sh$t all over the place ! I bet the Notre Dame players all would agree--you need to find another team !

Do not disagree that you blast Perse he deserves it. Too think all is OK after a game that the Irish let them back in just because we won in the last seconds is ridiculous . This game should have been 40 10 beat down at least. Kelly hired this clown booker. He has been now one of worst ST coaches in the world. Here is the problem: Kelly has hired bad position coaches and since he does not want to fire people because of possible friendship the team sucks. Bad D-coordinator, bad- ST Coach. Honestly if you look @ BVG's track record he was average at best. Booker has been a problem since he was hired. Good teams start from leadership from the top. I am happy the won but we are 1 play a way from a 2 -6 record.

it upsets Bodi that in every turn and every way Perse is correct and Bodi is wrong! every single issue and every single time!

Kelly: the decline continues.

it upsets Bodi that in every turn and every way Perse is correct and Bodi is wrong! every single issue and every single time!

Perse don't understand how winning is declining. A win is a win. Set aside your personal prefrence and be happy that the team won. Regardless of who's at the helm I'd root for ND, it's my team, regardless of the record I'd root for ND. Winning these games will improve this young teams confidence and we'll come into next year with zero expectations and no pressure and we will win 9 games. We are a couple of breaks from being 7 and 1 this season, do realize that?

^ I am looking at the longer implications than a single game.
ND can and usualky will beat the middle of the pack teams but ND under Kelly will not be a legit contender for a major plscement. Kelly can no longer recruit at the level necessary to upgrade the roster.
Some fans are just easily accepting this inevitable consequence. 1 game does not change anything. 80+ games does.

What has changed that Ty got fired at 6-5?

Terrible ST. But the defense is playing better. BVG defenses gave up: 50,10,36,38. Post BVG 33, 10,17,27... (with two special teams give-aways in there.)

But we do still give up too many third and longs! (We need a new defensive coordinator who can recruit! Did Charlie Strong save his job yesterday?)

The game through different prisms: Zona sees us as one play away from being 2-6, and NYyonker sees us as a couple breaks from being 7-1. I see us being a coach removed from being 5-3. Remove BVG from the mix and I think we win Texas and Duke. The NCS loss is on Kelly and his offensive coordinators. Love seeing the improved aggressive instinctive play on defense, but hate the reality that Kelly stuck with BVG when two years of pathetic bottom 2% defense suggested a change, all at the expense of these young men and the program at large. Yesterday's ST play and coaching nearly gave the game away. Coaching matters more than a few breaks.

The game through different prisms: Zona sees us as one play away from being 2-6, and NYyonker sees us as a couple breaks from being 7-1. I see us being a coach removed from being 5-3. Remove BVG from the mix and I think we win Texas and Duke. The NCS loss is on Kelly and his offensive coordinators. Love seeing the improved aggressive instinctive play on defense, but hate the reality that Kelly stuck with BVG when two years of pathetic bottom 2% defense suggested a change, all at the expense of these young men and the program at large. Yesterday's ST play and coaching nearly gave the game away. Coaching matters more than a few breaks.

So does special teams get the credit for Yoons field goals. Or do they just get the blame for negative plays. Undertand this 3 phases of the game offense, defense, and special teams. Excel at all three you usually win, excel at 2 out of the 3 you can still win. Do great in 1 you're highly unlikely to win. We still haven't played a complete game all three phases that's why we are what are record says we are. My optimism lies from the improvement rather than the outcome of the game. Our to best players on the team out side our o linemen are a two redshirt players one in Kizer who's only played 1 season of college football and st Brown who techinically is a freshman and barely saw action last year. And to be within a touch or less in the majority of our games is the reason I'm optimistic. We all want better as fans but let's start with being realistic. Players need time to develop.

See that's the problem I have with you Purse. You would rather have the Irish lose and you be right then the Irish win and you be wrong. You are not a fan of the Irish. You are a fan of yourself.

So does special teams get the credit for Yoons field goals. Or do they just get the blame for negative plays. Undertand this 3 phases of the game offense, defense, and special teams. Excel at all three you usually win, excel at 2 out of the 3 you can still win. Do great in 1 you're highly unlikely to win. We still haven't played a complete game all three phases that's why we are what are record says we are. My optimism lies from the improvement rather than the outcome of the game. Our to best players on the team out side our o linemen are a two redshirt players one in Kizer who's only played 1 season of college football and st Brown who techinically is a freshman and barely saw action last year. And to be within a touch or less in the majority of our games is the reason I'm optimistic. We all want better as fans but let's start with being realistic. Players need time to develop.

Players need time to develop? Develop into what? The ST blunders were things that they SHOULD HAVE KNOWN since at a minimum, their freshman year in HS -- you do not field a punt inside the 10 yard line (and more importantly, with people on you!), the onside kick -- again, something learned in HS that once thew ball goes 10 yards, it is free game, the blocked kick, know your assignments. The only one that "gets a pass" is when the ball hit Pride -- the ball can take a bad bounce and that is what happened.
But, when bad things happen to this team, they fold.

Reactions: BGI User 348
I beg to disagree. Miami had 4th and 4 at the ND 45. They are going to pooch or get into the end zone. There is not going to be a run back on that play. No one should have been back to receive a kick. That is coaching. No reason for Sanders to be there; none.
this is correct....not much upside and very much downside.....all the way down into the endzone. This is a classic example of the low percentage chances that BK is willing to take when it can cost the game. You take that chance when you are down 14 with a couple of minutes to play.

Players need time to develop? Develop into what? The ST blunders were things that they SHOULD HAVE KNOWN since at a minimum, their freshman year in HS -- you do not field a punt inside the 10 yard line (and more importantly, with people on you!), the onside kick -- again, something learned in HS that once thew ball goes 10 yards, it is free game, the blocked kick, know your assignments. The only one that "gets a pass" is when the ball hit Pride -- the ball can take a bad bounce and that is what happened.

kelso----I drilled ALL of those points in midget football!!!?? Even Pride's error has happened before....WHY does it???

Kelso look at your last statement and understand the importance of the win. They are a young team that lacks confidence so when bad things happen they get down on themselves. It's human nature we do the same things as fans. You can not expect freshman to come in a dominant a game. They will make stupid mistakes. Great teams overcome them and we are not at that point yet.

See that's the problem I have with you Purse. You would rather have the Irish lose and you be right then the Irish win and you be wrong. You are not a fan of the Irish. You are a fan of yourself.
Let's give the defense for a fantastic improvement each week with the removal of BVG . There is no doubt that BVG was a terrible mistake that's more and more obvious each week with him gone
I sure Kelly realizes his mistake and will be more careful in the future
The offense is young especially at receiver and very weak at tight end this year with the loss to academics by our number one guy . The other young receivers show a lot of potential with time
The running backs have been playing hurt and it shows . We need to get a big tough guy for short yardage and need to get QB under center for short yardage also .
The offensive line is the biggest disappointment this year very good on pass blocking but terrible on run blocking

I was on campus . BK has the students and fans support. The stadium got loud. Good stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT