ADVERTISEMENT

2022 DT recruits analysis & ranking

FWCOACH

I've posted how many times?
Apr 20, 2004
Fort Wayne
ND has essentially offered 7 players that I see as potential DTs down the road. They are Kaleb Artis, Donovan Hinish, Tyson Ford, Anthony Lucas, KJ Miles, Caden Curry, KJ Miles and Isaac Hamm. It's an interesting year in DT recruiting. The lack of offers tells me two things. Most of the DTs don't fit the scheme ND runs and/or couldn't get into ND. Examples of each would be #1 DT Walter Nolan. He's from a catholic school in Tennessee but not a fit at ND academically and Alex Vansumeran who is from MI and has an offer from Stanford but isn't necessarily a scheme fit at ND. Vansumeran is maybe 6'2" and a space eater while Elston prefers taller guys that can move better like Rubio. Of the 7 current offers, Curry and Miles are the shortest at 6'4". Lucas and Artis are 6'5". Ford and Hamm are 6'6". The other thing the small offer list tells me is Elston is confident in getting one more of the guys listed as the team really only needs one more with Ford committed.

For those who know me, you all know I'm not a star gazer. I loved Marist when ND got him and I love Kia in this class. But with this group of DTs, Curry is the most impressive on film. He plays mean and he can really move. Frame to get to a solid 290 and still be quick.

Rankings:
1. Curry - quick, mean and great frame
2. Ford - big get for ND. I see Tillery when I watch him. Huge frame.
3. Lucas - amazing first step for a man his size
4. Artis - really close to Lucas. They are sort of 3A and 3B. Quick and large.
5. Miles - love his push. Could be an impact rusher in the middle which is so important.
6. Hamm - I worry his frame won't allow for 290+ lbs. But he's probably quick enough to play SDE. Issue is ND already got Gobaira whom I like more than Hamm. At this moment, Hamm would not be a take for me if ND feels good about anyone above.
7. Hinish - Huge drop off from 6 to 7. Hinish just isn't ND level.

Ford, Gobaira, Moss and any of the top 5 above would be a gigantic, freaking beast DL class. If Curry picks OSU and ND "settles" for Lucas, Artis or Miles, it's still a top 5 DL class in the country. Getting Moss would be so gigantic. Tafiti is really good but ND needs Moss's swagger and prestige.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News