ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Heisman candidates (Georgia has 2!)

Duo

ND Expert
Jul 23, 2006
Your picks, comments, chances and other thoughts:

QB Baker Mayfield, OU

QB Mason Rudolph, Okie St.

WR James Washington, Okie St.

QB J T Barrett, tOSU

QB Sam Darnold, USC *

QB Jake Browning, Washington

RB Derrius Guice, LSU

RB Saquon Barkley, PSU

QB Trace McSorley, PSU

RB Nick Chubb, Georgia *

QB Jacob Eason, Georgia *

QB Deondre Francois, FSU

S Derwin James, FSU

QB Jalen Hurts, Alabama

QB Lamar Jackson, Louisville

* Notre Dame opponents

The original quote was something like " a "ranking and a quarter will buy you a cup of coffee."

This was the reply given by Vincennes Lincoln's Indiana HS Hall of Fame coach, Orlando "Gunner" Wyman when asked about his team's high ranking in the Indiana HS basketball polls (back when Indiana had a one class tourney).

http://www.hoopshall.com/hall-of-fame/orlando-gunner-wyman/?back=HallofFame

Might want to take a look at the link and see where he played his college ball.

Your picks, comments, chances and other thoughts:

QB Baker Mayfield, OU

QB Mason Rudolph, Okie St.

WR James Washington, Okie St.

QB J T Barrett, tOSU

QB Sam Darnold, USC *

QB Jake Browning, Washington

RB Derrius Guice, LSU

RB Saquon Barkley, PSU

QB Trace McSorley, PSU

RB Nick Chubb, Georgia *

QB Jacob Eason, Georgia *

QB Deondre Francois, FSU

S Derwin James, FSU

QB Jalen Hurts, Alabama

QB Lamar Jackson, Louisville

* Notre Dame opponents
Browning or Darnold

Thanks Alice,

Orlando "Gunner" Wyman was a famous basketball player at FSU and I believe you've mentioned him before. He graduated in the late 40's and went on to become a famous coach. His tombstone reads "I'd rather be here than in Jasper, Indiana." wherever that is?

Anyway, my best guess for the Heisman winner is Jake Browning from Washington. Why? Because he's a QB and the Huskies were in the playoffs last year. Other than that it's just a guess.

Don't think FSU's QB Deondre Francois stands a chance primarily because this year FSU has the most incredible group of RB's in the country. Similarly I don't think FSU's super Safety Derwin James stands a chance because he plays on defense even though SI has named him the best player in all of college football this year! To have a chance James would probably have to play both offense and defense............not going to happen at FSU, no need to.

This year it's a big list with a lot of super talented guys to watch. Looking forward to watching a season of great CFB.

Jasper, Indiana is Vincennes Lincoln's biggest rival. Ever hear of Matt Mauck or Scott Rolen? Jasper is an HS powerhouse in football and basketball.

Think this list and your posts on it would be better received on Chant. Your compadres there would join you in gushing over FSU players and commiserating that only two Noles made the list.

Last edited:
Strange that there's no ND player on the list since the OP recently tried to peddle the nonsense that he "roots for ND". Not much to see here. Just another not so subtle dig at our Irish from the ND message board stalker. Jam the list as far as possible, duoche.

Reactions: TOMMY_23
It will be very interesting to watch and see what Mike Elko has in store for Georgia QB Jacob Eason and Georgia's RB Nick Chubb. Will Elko blitz? And from where and how often?

Conversely, it will be interesting to see how Chip Long utilizes the two first round Draft picks on the O-line (thank you 57 Patrick). With studs like that on the O-line you would wonder if the offensive strategy might be to grind it out on the ground and burn up the clock thus keeping the ball out of the hands of Jacob Eason. Because of that I'm guessing we will see more running in the first half and maybe pick up on the passing in the second half. Other thoughts on the Georgia game?

The moral of this story is that, if you are the starting QB on a good team, you are a Heisman candidate. Jalen Hurts? JT Barrett? Jacob Eason? What has any of them done to merit Heisman talk? Could JT Barrett have been any worse at the end of last season?

Mayfield seems over-rated to me. His name recognition from his over-hyped previous seasons is all he has going for him.

Browning is the real deal and will probably be a finalist for the award.

Don't see Hurts getting too much attention, but odds are an Alabama running back will have a breakout year and will be a finalist for the Heisman. Yawwwnn. Or some quarterback in the Big 12 will put up insane numbers and also be mentioned.

2017 Heisman Finalists:
Jake Browning
JT Barrett
UA Running Back
Sam Darnold
Saquon Barkley

IMO - two horse race between Barrett and Darnold.

"Conversely, it will be interesting to see how Chip Long utilizes the two first round Draft picks on the O-line (thank you 57 Patrick). With studs like that on the O-line you would wonder if the offensive strategy might be to grind it out on the ground and burn up the clock thus keeping the ball out of the hands of Jacob Eason. Because of that I'm guessing we will see more running in the first half and maybe pick up on the passing in the second half. Other thoughts on the Georgia game?"

Laughable. Chip Kelly and Brian Long will throw every chance they get especially on first down. Georgia will be the team running the ball.

"Conversely, it will be interesting to see how Chip Long utilizes the two first round Draft picks on the O-line (thank you 57 Patrick). With studs like that on the O-line you would wonder if the offensive strategy might be to grind it out on the ground and burn up the clock thus keeping the ball out of the hands of Jacob Eason. Because of that I'm guessing we will see more running in the first half and maybe pick up on the passing in the second half. Other thoughts on the Georgia game?"

Laughable. Chip Kelly and Brian Long will throw every chance they get especially on first down. Georgia will be the team running the ball.

Chip Kelly and Brian Long.................LOL

It will be very interesting to watch and see what Mike Elko has in store for Georgia QB Jacob Eason and Georgia's RB Nick Chubb. Will Elko blitz? And from where and how often?

Conversely, it will be interesting to see how Chip Long utilizes the two first round Draft picks on the O-line (thank you 57 Patrick). With studs like that on the O-line you would wonder if the offensive strategy might be to grind it out on the ground and burn up the clock thus keeping the ball out of the hands of Jacob Eason. Because of that I'm guessing we will see more running in the first half and maybe pick up on the passing in the second half. Other thoughts on the Georgia game?

ND will not grind it out on the ground, too many talented DL, 9 played alot of snaps in 16, 6 had starts, at least 2 will be 1st round picks, all 9 will have have a shot at the league. Of course all are not in one class. The opposite is likely going to take place, UGA will be the one using the ground game to keep the ball away from ND if you don't have a good DL, Chubb is on pace to become the all time SEC rushing leader, Michel has a season as 1000 yard rusher, last year's number 3 guy averaged nearly 6 yds per carry and is fighting for his number 3 spot in camp and likely number 4 by first game. OL isn't great, but ND DL isn't great either. ND may win the game, but UGA will have a pretty big edge in time of possession.

Tired of so many QBs walking off with the Heisman. IMO this trend ignores the fact that football is a TEAM game. I want to see an offensive lineman or a safety win it once in a while.

1-quenton-nelson-og-notre-dame_pg_600.jpg

Reactions: Islero
Outland/Lombardi Trophy watch list more impactful on teams W/L record than Heisman candidates.

Reactions: Islero
If Wimbush plays as expected and ND surprises, he might emerge as a Heisman candidate.

Ahhhh yes........

Often times the most popular guy on the team is the back-up QB..........mainly because he has never played yet. LOL! So, until he steps onto the field and faces a REAL team........why shoot.......he's a HEISMAN CANDIDATE!!! LOL!!! :eek: Gotta love CFB!

This reminds me of the arrival of QB Jacory Harris at the U of Miami back in 2008. Miami's starting QB transferred out at the end of 2008 and Harris became the heir apparent. While U fans were waiting for Jacory to become the starter they started promoting his as a Heisman candidate! And Harris joined right in to all the Heisman banter. He even made a news announcement bragging that he would "wear a pink suit and carry a pimp cup to the Heisman ceremony!"

Well...........Jacory went on to set an all time college football record! FOR INT's!!! LOL, bwahahahahahahah!

I remember that Golson kid we had a couple years ago that was a Heisman candidate. What ever happened to him?

Ahhhh yes........

Often times the most popular guy on the team is the back-up QB..........mainly because he has never played yet. LOL! So, until he steps onto the field and faces a REAL team........why shoot.......he's a HEISMAN CANDIDATE!!! LOL!!! :eek: Gotta love CFB!

This reminds me of the arrival of QB Jacory Harris at the U of Miami back in 2008. Miami's starting QB transferred out at the end of 2008 and Harris became the heir apparent. While U fans were waiting for Jacory to become the starter they started promoting his as a Heisman candidate! And Harris joined right in to all the Heisman banter. He even made a news announcement bragging that he would "wear a pink suit and carry a pimp cup to the Heisman ceremony!"

Well...........Jacory went on to set an all time college football record! FOR INT's!!! LOL, bwahahahahahahah!
Duo, you are trying too hard here. Wimbush will not be a second string QB. He has the keys to the car. He actually has some experience, having had a 60 yard TD run 2 years ago. He's a 4*, chose the Irish over Penn State, and compared favorably in workouts to Zaire and Kyser. Notice that my original post had "if" and "might," so it's not like I am predicting anything. Quite clearly, you hate ND, so perhaps you should fact how that influences what you post.

Duo, you are trying too hard here. Wimbush will not be a second string QB. He has the keys to the car. He actually has some experience, having had a 60 yard TD run 2 years ago. He's a 4*, chose the Irish over Penn State, and compared favorably in workouts to Zaire and Kyser. Notice that my original post had "if" and "might," so it's not like I am predicting anything. Quite clearly, you hate ND, so perhaps you should fact how that influences what you post.

He doesn't hate ND. He's just a hair-puller that likes stirring things up with ND fans. You can't take him seriously.

Islero

I don't hate anybody! Not ND, Not UF, not even Miami.. If my sons had chosen to go to any of them I would have been their biggest fan. They looked at Colorado, FSU and Kansas and they both ended up going to Oregon Because their friends did as well! LOL!

You mistake locker room humor for hate. Man!............I;ve played lots of sports and believe me a lot of posters here would be roasted to death in a locker room atmosphere! Go with the flow............have a little fun.........life is really short!

No doubt that the endgame is to rile people up with thinly veneered insults.

I'm guessing its a traveling act that's not limited to ND.

"thinly veneered insults." LOL..........good one, I like that Hey, it's not Don Rickles! LOL!

Another story:

Won a trip to go round the world many years ago along with a bunch of fellas and our wives. There was about 30 couples and we all had attended different colleges. Most of the time people dressed in their respective alma mater's colors, etc. Everybody got along famously and we all teased each...........a lot! However, there was one guy there that was kind of a stick in the mud. he had graduated from the U of South Carolina..........the Game Cocks. While we were in China one night we dressed up and went to a fancy restaurant. They showed us menu's with pictures and we all ordered and of course the cocktails were flowing freely one after another after another. When we were served each person's individual plate was brought out in great ceremony covered by a silver dome and then one by one they were unveiled so to speak. Well..............prior to this several of the guys had excused themselves saying they were going to the bathroom. They went to the kitchen and arranged for a special surprise for our South Carolina Game Cock friend who happened to be sitting at the head of the table. Meanwhile, the whispers had gone around the table to watch his plate be unveiled. So..........with great fanfare and all eyes on him the waiter lifted his plate's silver dome. And on his plate was a roasted rooster head............bwahahahahhahahhhahaha...........we all burst out laughing. Well..........Mr. Gamecock turned bright red and with a tremendous bellow he burst out laughing and said, "You got me"! We all laughed even louder and drank a toast to him and the Game Cocks. And every day and night after that he became one of the guys. He loosened up and we all enjoyed his company every day after that.

So............here's a green beer to the Irish LOL, Cheers!

"thinly veneered insults." LOL..........good one, I like that Hey, it's not Don Rickles! LOL!

Another story:

Won a trip to go round the world many years ago along with a bunch of fellas and our wives. There was about 30 couples and we all had attended different colleges. Most of the time people dressed in their respective alma mater's colors, etc. Everybody got along famously and we all teased each...........a lot! However, there was one guy there that was kind of a stick in the mud. he had graduated from the U of South Carolina..........the Game Cocks. While we were in China one night we dressed up and went to a fancy restaurant. They showed us menu's with pictures and we all ordered and of course the cocktails were flowing freely one after another after another. When we were served each person's individual plate was brought out in great ceremony covered by a silver dome and then one by one they were unveiled so to speak. Well..............prior to this several of the guys had excused themselves saying they were going to the bathroom. They went to the kitchen and arranged for a special surprise for our South Carolina Game Cock friend who happened to be sitting at the head of the table. Meanwhile, the whispers had gone around the table to watch his plate be unveiled. So..........with great fanfare and all eyes on him the waiter lifted his plate's silver dome. And on his plate was a roasted rooster head............bwahahahahhahahhhahaha...........we all burst out laughing. Well..........Mr. Gamecock turned bright red and with a tremendous bellow he burst out laughing and said, "You got me"! We all laughed even louder and drank a toast to him and the Game Cocks. And every day and night after that he became one of the guys. He loosened up and we all enjoyed his company every day after that.

I get the feeling that if you gave a fireside chat, the fire would go to sleep.

Sleeping_Emoji_grande.png

Another story:

I appreciate that you acknowledge that you are in fact stirring things up a bit and your posts aren't intended to be taken literally.

Do you have any stories about when you've been on the receiving end?

Just genuinely curious.

Islero

I don't hate anybody! Not ND, Not UF, not even Miami.. If my sons had chosen to go to any of them I would have been their biggest fan. They looked at Colorado, FSU and Kansas and they both ended up going to Oregon Because their friends did as well! LOL!

You mistake locker room humor for hate. Man!............I;ve played lots of sports and believe me a lot of posters here would be roasted to death in a locker room atmosphere! Go with the flow............have a little fun.........life is really short!
I love jocularity and camraderie. Maybe I'm wrong, but you seem very begrudging to acknowledge anything good about ND. Nothing I take too seriously, in fact here's a joke at ND's expense that I told to an Oklahoma fans when they were in town a few years ago:

Florida State, Alabama, and Notre Dame.....name two football powers and a cathedral.

When they were done laughing I followed up with:

Florida State, Alabama, and Oklahoma.....name two football powers and a musical.

Something good about ND............

First and foremost...........history (including movies, Knute Rockne All American) Love the ND fight song. The academics (although let's face it the academics themselves often botch things up......i.e. Charlie Weis' contract(s)!)

BTW, I do root for ND often times and I will be having a ball watching the ND-NC State game........i.e. rooting for both teams. That game will be a win/win for me and I am anticipating a thrilling game, perhaps low scoring? (like the last one :D)

Something good about ND............

First and foremost...........history (including movies, Knute Rockne All American) Love the ND fight song. The academics (although let's face it the academics themselves often botch things up......i.e. Charlie Weis' contract(s)!)

BTW, I do root for ND often times and I will be having a ball watching the ND-NC State game........i.e. rooting for both teams. That game will be a win/win for me and I am anticipating a thrilling game, perhaps low scoring? (like the last one :D)
This is sort of a carrot. Stick to follow later .

Just my 2 cents, but UGA's strength is on D. Our front 7 might have 4 first/second round draft picks this year. All 7 will be drafted. The secondary is talented but will give up the deep ball from time to time. We are as deep and talented as anyone at the RB spot, but lots of questions still on the Oline. That is my biggest concern and what makes me nervous about this season. We have a future 1st round stud TE and plenty of weapons at WR, but can we give Eason time to pass? I guess we will find out soon.

I'd love to hear more about ND's squad. What are the strengths/weaknesses? How are you guys feeling about the upcoming season? What makes your QB special? I've heard your Oline has some studs. I can't wait to visit ND and take this one in.

Just my 2 cents, but UGA's strength is on D. Our front 7 might have 4 first/second round draft picks this year. All 7 will be drafted. The secondary is talented but will give up the deep ball from time to time. We are as deep and talented as anyone at the RB spot, but lots of questions still on the Oline. That is my biggest concern and what makes me nervous about this season. We have a future 1st round stud TE and plenty of weapons at WR, but can we give Eason time to pass? I guess we will find out soon.

I'd love to hear more about ND's squad. What are the strengths/weaknesses? How are you guys feeling about the upcoming season? What makes your QB special? I've heard your Oline has some studs. I can't wait to visit ND and take this one in.

j22201............

Truthfully, ND has a lot of question marks at this point and nobody really knows what will happen. ND will probably end up ranked a lot better than where the polls have them now but that's only because right now they are unranked. The big questions are: at QB, and coaches (new OC with one year of experience and a new DC). So, the Irish will be running completely new schemes on both O and D. QB, Brandon Wimbush is a junior that has thrown 5 passes (3 completed) in his career vs. the Umass Minitemen in September of 2015. You might get a better feel for things if you follow some of the stories on the front page of this message board. There are some pretty good reads there from time to time. Enjoy the game and your visit to SB.

j22201............

Truthfully, ND has a lot of question marks at this point and nobody really knows what will happen. ND will probably end up ranked a lot better than where the polls have them now but that's only because right now they are unranked. The big questions are: at QB, and coaches (new OC with one year of experience and a new DC). So, the Irish will be running completely new schemes on both O and D. QB, Brandon Wimbush is a junior that has thrown 5 passes (3 completed) in his career vs. the Umass Minitemen in September of 2015. You might get a better feel for things if you follow some of the stories on the front page of this message board. There are some pretty good reads there from time to time. Enjoy the game and your visit to SB.
There might be question marks, but they could turn into positive exclamation points. The new QB was a very highly ranked prospect. Over the last few years freshmen have taken a team far, so why not a RS sophomore. The new OC and DC were both hired because of their respected reputation elsewhere. Solid reasons for optimism abound.

j22201............

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...-seminoles-offense-full-unknowns-heading-2017

Maybe you should be reading up on your Noles?

https://www.facebook.com/ufi/reacti...3594576136132_10153604870706132&av=1736031350

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT