ADVERTISEMENT

2012 vs. 2017 Continued Musings (Offense Personnel)

NDlb46

Irish Expert
Dec 28, 2013
This concept popped up in the other thread, so I decided to throw out my thoughts on the depth chart similarities/differences between the two teams. Take it with a grain of salt as it's mostly my opinion and perception. Take it with another grain of salt because obviously this season's story is yet to be finished and these players' stories are yet to be finished. Take it with a 3rd grain of salt because the alignments and personnel groupings (especially at WR) are different:

Depth Chart Comparison: Star Power (not recruiting stars) vs. Depth of position

QB
2012: Everett Golson, Tommy Rees, Andrew Hendrix
2017: Branson Wimbush, Ian Book, Monty VanGorder

Star Power - I guess 2012?? It's close to me only because Tommy did start the year before and pulled out a few good performances and wins (ie-Utah, USC). And Golson did make some absolutely spectacular plays that year that put him in discussions.

Depth of Position - 2017, in my mind it isn't really that close. Wimbush is better than Golson, Book looks more capable than Rees, and Hendrix was an unfortunate mess (unfortunate because he is a local kid for me and I wanted to see him do well).

RB
2012: Theo Riddick, Cierre Wood, George Atkinson III
2017: Josh Adams, Dexter Williams, Tony Jones Jr., Deon McIntosh

Star Power - 2017, Josh is getting more recognition than Cierre or Theo even sniffed at
Depth of Position - 2017, getting into the schematic differences which is a separate debate, but you get what you get and this year we are getting some good stuff

TE
2012: Tyler Eifert, Ben Koyak
2017: Durham Smythe, Alize Mack, Nic Weishar, Brock Wright

Star Power - 2012, no debate here with Eifert
Depth of Position - 2017, the top end talent of Eifert isn't there, but Durham is damn good and the others are not far behind

WR & Slot
2012: TJ Jones, Davaris Daniels, John Goodman, Daniel Smith, Robby Toma, Davonte' Neal
2017: EQSB, Chase Claypool, Kevin Stepherson, Miles Boykin, Cam Smith, Chris Finke

Star Power - 2012, TJ was so good, so good. Davaris never realized his "Michael Floyd" potential but would wow us every now and then, John G was a poor man's Jeff Samardzija, and Davonte Neal was so quick (wish he would've stayed).
Depth of Position - 2012 but it's close. Tough to judge on this one because of the frequency with which we run the ball compared to 2012

OT
2012: Zach Martin, Christian Lombard, Ronnie Stanley, Nick Martin
2017: Mike McGlinchey, Tommy Kraemer, Robert Hainsey, Liam Eichenberg, Jimmy Byrne

Star Power - 2012 by a whisker
Depth of Position - 2012...for now. In a few years if Hainsey, Kraemer, and Eichenberg become monsters then it would change

OG
2012: Chris Watt, Mike Golic Jr, Connor Hanratty, Nick Martin, Bruce Heggie
2017: Quentin Nelson, Alex Bars, Hunter Bivin, Josh Lugg

Star Power - 2017
Depth of Position - 2017

Center
2012: Braxton Cave, Mike Golic Jr.
2017: Sam Mustipher, Trevor Ruhland

Star Power - 2017
Depth of Position
- I would say it's a wash, but Mike Golic Jr. was the starting guard and the backup guards in 2012 weren't worth a damn outside of maybe Nick Martin which gave that squad 3.5 players who could play between the LG/C/RG positions. Therefore I'm going 2017

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT