ADVERTISEMENT

2 things no one will say about FSU screw over

I don't want to go off on a major tangent...but the playoff committee indeed represents encroaching corruption across all parts of our national culture.

We're ratifying and encouraging lying, cheating, and stealing...in this case, marketers have a narrative and pushed it. It just had to have an SEC team.

Every time they do this, they can push the bar further. Fine, the 12 team playoff ensures this won't happen this way again...but they'll explore other ways. Bias can decisively change games when margins are so tight...a dubious call here and there, more likely with this preferred narrative stuff.

I'm disgusted by what happened...and my memories are long about what the NCAA has long done.
That was a pretty awesome rant I went on though, right? Obviously I'm piqued by the whole 'if you lose a key player, you get downgraded for it', which is total bullshit. Maybe you could do it on the seeding. And your seeding might drop, because you're not quite as good, in theory. But they can't deny you qualification. That's unacceptable.

And I consider it to be corrupt in spirit, if not in the technical rulebook sense, because they were careful to include mention of it in their bylaws or whatever. And I agree, this bureaucratic mission creep absolutely sets the stage and the precedent for the next incursion....

Reactions: banmate6
I don't want to go off on a major tangent...but the playoff committee indeed represents encroaching corruption across all parts of our national culture.

We're ratifying and encouraging lying, cheating, and stealing...in this case, marketers have a narrative and pushed it. It just had to have an SEC team.

Every time they do this, they can push the bar further. Fine, the 12 team playoff ensures this won't happen this way again...but they'll explore other ways. Bias can decisively change games when margins are so tight...a dubious call here and there, more likely with this preferred narrative stuff.

I'm disgusted by what happened...and my memories are long about what the NCAA has long done.
Funny stuff...thanks for the chuckles

I would like to see them do the same thing in the NFL one time to a team who lost there starting qb for the playoffs.
There's no playoff committee in the NFL.

That's why the NFL playoffs are way way way way better than the 4-team CFB playoff, or the 12 team CFB playoff..

6 titles in the last 15 seasons equals street cred.

And Alabama has tons of it.

Alabama-Michigan will be a TV ratings bonanza.

Reactions: Pennick4
Apples and oranges

You can't reach certain intransigent people.

In the NFL, NHL, soccer, once you have all the data, meaning wins, losses, and ties...you know 100% who qualifies. It's algorithmic.

We don't know when it comes to voting. It's not algorithms, but based on suggested factors and some guidance...in other words, they can pretty much choose as they want.

They'll argue it is apples to apples...or, actually worse, tough luck, deal!

:D

That's why the NFL playoffs are way way way way better than the 4-team CFB playoff, or the 12 team CFB playoff..

True.

This isn't a trite point.

There is 100% determinism in well thought out league formats...but it isn't 100% in voting setups.

NFL is flawed as well when you have 8-8 teams in a weak division making the playoffs over 11-5 teams that couldn't win their division and missed out on the wild card.

I guess as College football marches toward consolidating into 2 conferences you may get a truly top 12 playoff ranking.

I would like to see them do the same thing in the NFL one time to a team who lost there starting qb for the playoffs.
407729312_2623918217764940_8876926740292508840_n.jpg

Title IX and the conferences are the problem, always have been.

Chip Kelly is correct. Football should be on its own. Would be nice to have promotion / relegation among the top 64 and bottom 64.

Reactions: BGI User 756
What’s the big deal? Like which of the 4 teams would FSU be favored against? How about Georgia… nope. Oregon? Probably not. Ohio State? Nope! They would be dogs against all of these teams. FSU’s SOS was 55, Bama’s was 5.
Dogs win to you know. Happens all the times. Or hell, why even play the games at all. They earned it "on the field". And I hate FSU, but what's right is right. And ND fans would be screaming bloody murder if that was us.

Reactions: HRC08
Dogs win to you know. Happens all the times. Or hell, why even play the games at all. They earned it "on the field". And I hate FSU, but what's right is right. And ND fans would be screaming bloody murder if that was us.
Yeah ND fans would be screaming if they were left out. They should be left out if their star QB was hurt.
The committee did the right thing and took the best 4.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Yeah ND fans would be screaming if they were left out. They should be left out if their star QB was hurt.
We'll agree to disagree, and again I'm no FSU fan, but it was earned on the field. And I certainly don't subscribe to the QB is out so let's leave the team out. Backups are D1 scholarship players to. But again, we'll just agree to disagree

Reactions: NDinNJ
We only saw FSU play with its second string back up ONE game. I don't think they should have been dropped over how they looked vs Florida. The same week, Bama looked much, much worse vs Auburn and the committee did not see fit to drop the Tide. FSU would have an entire month to get their second string QB up and running. And their defense is arguably better than Alabama's D.

I understand the arguments on both sides, but FSU played a tougher OOC schedule than Bama and had better results. I think the Noles were screwed.
Well thought out

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
Why are you so adamant, and intransigent with this opinion? Nobody agrees with you. Not in principle, or when you consider that the committee just wants the freedom to work the field with as much latitude as they can plausibly grant themselves. And they are rightly cynical in thinking in that, to say nothing of the appalling general principle of the thing. It's dishonorable. You could say it's morally ugly. As in, why would a decent person ever do that? They totally earned their spot with an undefeated season, and indeed overcame adversity in so doing it. And you're content to now just toss them aside into the woodchipper, for efficiency's sake, as it were. And that doesn't bother you.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Why are you so adamant, and intransigent with this opinion? Nobody agrees with you. Not in principle, or when you consider that the committee just wants the freedom to work the field with as much latitude as they can plausibly grant themselves. And they are rightly cynical in thinking in that, to say nothing of the appalling general principle of the thing. It's dishonorable. You could say it's morally ugly. As in, why would a decent person ever do that? They totally earned their spot with an undefeated season, and indeed overcame adversity in so doing it. And you're content to now just toss them aside into the woodchipper, for efficiency's sake, as it were. And that doesn't bother you.

I know a bunch of people who agree with him.

They took the best 4 which was their task-----not the most deserving 4.

The committee was charged with taking the 4 best teams and they did. Why can't you get this? Not too hard.
Stop the fake outrage... Woodchipper.. 🙄🙄

The committee was charged with taking the 4 best teams and they did. Why can't you get this? Not too hard.
Stop the fake outrage... Woodchipper.. 🙄🙄
The committee charged themselves with that, and that's a total matter of opinion. It always is a total matter of opinion, regardless of who is picked. So they started out giving themselves carte blanche to pick whoever they want, and then transparently expanded that original proposition by justifying even greater authority on their part.

In any case, nobody agrees with you, and it's disappointing that some of you conservative types are not really conservatives, what you are is authoritarian, meaning you just do whatever the F you're told to do. And that's your life principle that you follow. And spare me the smug 'fake outrage' line. Seriously, you're the one who's out of line. You're just like I said you were. You do whatever the hell you're told. That'a what you're about. All these other fans, the large majority when it comes to this latest injustice, actually care about what's right, and what's fair, and what's just. And are bothered by it. But you're not at all.

No you don't. You don't need to lie. You're just like this other guy. You don't even hide your naked servility. No decent, red-blooded American male would ever feel like justice was served in this instance. It's an outrage that FSU was snubbed, and the only argument against it is that the all-powerful committee gets to do it the way they want to, and our part as fans is simply to obey. That's your position. There's no argument whatsoever that FSU is absolutely not among the four best teams, so the committed had no choice but to omit them. That's just made-up gibberish. There are no four best teams, only the four most desirable teams for the committee to settle on for their reasons.

Here's a heads up genuis----they weren't as good as Georgia or Ohio State either.

Now go figure out if the ball has air or feathers in it.

Here's a heads up genuis----they weren't as good as Georgia or Ohio State either.

Now go figure out if the ball has air or feathers in it.
At least you're not denying it. But I guess you couldn't really. You wouldn't have a leg to stand on. You are a peasant. And you accept your role to the hilt. And just make excuses for the powers that be. Every time, very reliably. Which is what the committee counts on....

For folks like TDIrish27 and Pennick4, I think you would have a good argument if the committee itself agreed with your definition of the best 4 teams.

The thing is, members of the committee have been asked very directly over the years whether "best" means most deserving or most likely to win moving forward. In every interview I've heard, they have deflected with responses like, "We take many factors into consideration" or "Every circumstance is unique." It's only after they dropped FSU that they all seem to suddenly agree on what "best" means.

They took an evasive and cowardly approach to defining their task, and now I think they are rightly being criticized for it.

For folks like TDIrish27 and Pennick4, I think you would have a good argument if the committee itself agreed with your definition of the best 4 teams.

The thing is, members of the committee have been asked very directly over the years whether "best" means most deserving or most likely to win moving forward. In every interview I've heard, they have deflected with responses like, "We take many factors into consideration" or "Every circumstance is unique." It's only after they dropped FSU that they all seem to suddenly agree on what "best" means.

They took an evasive and cowardly approach to defining their task, and now I think they are rightly being criticized for it.
Spot on.

If the Noles had a QB healthy they're playing I have no doubt .

But the Committee's task is to pick the best 4 teams and it specifically is indicated that injuries to key players CAN factor into their decision.

So I don't know exactly what you need ?

Because to me it's cut and dry----they think Bama is better because the FSU team is missing their key player.

Kinda simple

Now you and I can agree or disagree with their choice but that's what they did.

The committee charged themselves with that, and that's a total matter of opinion. It always is a total matter of opinion, regardless of who is picked. So they started out giving themselves carte blanche to pick whoever they want, and then transparently expanded that original proposition by justifying even greater authority on their part.

In any case, nobody agrees with you, and it's disappointing that some of you conservative types are not really conservatives, what you are is authoritarian, meaning you just do whatever the F you're told to do. And that's your life principle that you follow. And spare me the smug 'fake outrage' line. Seriously, you're the one who's out of line. You're just like I said you were. You do whatever the hell you're told. That'a what you're about. All these other fans, the large majority when it comes to this latest injustice, actually care about what's right, and what's fair, and what's just. And are bothered by it. But you're not at all.
So you are wrong about the playoff committee and about whether Denbrock would leave LSU for ND. The odds are that you might be right soon. 😜😜

And what is even controversial about this? None of us were in the room, but they obviously wanted Texas and Bama. FSU is a blue blood, but their star is still definitely lower after their several-years slump, and any fool could see that this was a contrived decision, and Bama and Texas were the obvious favorites of the committee. Not to mention the very idea of this grotesque little doctrine they invented which empowers them to, for the good of the sport, or so they say, to write off teams if one of their star players gets hurt, as if there's anything even remotely fair or sportsmanlike about that. It's pure practical expediency. Laughably so. And some of these fans just swallow it whole.....

So you are wrong about the playoff committee and about whether Denbrock would leave LSU for ND. The odds are that you might be right soon. 😜😜
WTF is wrong with you? Are you actually trying to lord it over me, because in passing I figured Denbrock would stay at LSU, as if that were some sort of solemn prediction I made after very soberly considering the matter in all its nuances before making my decision? I said it off the top of my head, you numskull.

God damn....

WTF is wrong with you? Are you actually trying to lord it over me, because in passing I figured Denbrock would stay at LSU, as if that were some sort of solemn prediction I made after very soberly considering the matter in all its nuances before making my decision? I said it off the top of my head, you numskull.

God damn....
Stop crying

God damn....
Don't cry, you will soon get one right!

Reactions: Golson5
If the Noles had a QB healthy they're playing I have no doubt .

But the Committee's task is to pick the best 4 teams and it specifically is indicated that injuries to key players CAN factor into their decision.

So I don't know exactly what you need ?

Because to me it's cut and dry----they think Bama is better because the FSU team is missing their key player.

Kinda simple

Now you and I can agree or disagree with their choice but that's what they did.
And yes I disagree with their decision; do they make that decision if a starting RB, or TE or any other player is injured, answer: no. It's complete BS. I hate FSU, but they earned it on the field, and the committee can justify anything they want to CYA, sorta like accountants :)

No you don't. You don't need to lie. You're just like this other guy. You don't even hide your naked servility. No decent, red-blooded American male would ever feel like justice was served in this instance. It's an outrage that FSU was snubbed, and the only argument against it is that the all-powerful committee gets to do it the way they want to, and our part as fans is simply to obey. That's your position. There's no argument whatsoever that FSU is absolutely not among the four best teams, so the committed had no choice but to omit them. That's just made-up gibberish. There are no four best teams, only the four most desirable teams for the committee to settle on for their reasons.

You can’t reach people who think subjective preference should override principle and precedent. We’ve discussed this clearly but many stay intransigent.

You do correctly point out this is a growing cultural problem, beyond college football. It’s fashionable to force result, with deception.

Corruption is what it is. Evidently we the people prefer and sanction it.

Reactions: theskibro
You can’t reach people who think subjective preference should override principle and precedent. We’ve discussed this clearly but many stay intransigent.

You do correctly point out this is a growing cultural problem, beyond college football. It’s fashionable to force result, with deception.

Corruption is what it is ....Thanks for the chuckles. 🤣🤣

i don't really understand what is meant by the "best four" at the time of selection and how do you tell. Is it based on how they warm up, uniforms, cheerleaders or whatever? Alabama was not the same team this year as those who gave it the 'street credibility that is mentioned. Until now it has been understood that if you went undefeated and a Power Five conference champion you would be in over any one loss team. Why change now? Or is only that money and greed by those not playing talk?

Right, it's not like it's corruption on some epic, global scale, but just the same it still taints the sport. And it's so senseless. IMO at least. Just let FSU have it, and let Bama go home. But they can't have that. They don't quite have the balls to keep a team like UW out, even though I'm sure they were tempted. With FSU there was no way they were going to pass that up.

And surely the committee is aware of how corny and phony their little bylaw that frees them up to get rid of a team if they're missing a key player. And what an outrageous notion that is. Not that they're bound to, but they can if they want, in the unlikely event. And what do you know? Right on cue.... And Bama and Texas both get in. 12 teams can't get here soon enough....

Reactions: jerbach
Bama didn’t pass that stupid “eye test” nor had a better resume than the other 4 teams. This horseshit pretty boy kirky notion that the committee took the best four teams isn’t rooted in anything other than “we want bama in”. Got their asses kicked at home by double digits and struggled mightily w/ bad teams throughout the season, including needing a miracle on the last play of the regular season to beat a shitty auburn team. So you bama fanboys can continue to defend the committee’s decision, but it was based on nothing other than “we want bama in”. Stop trying to explain it. It was thievery at its finest. They’ve done it at least two other times w/ them. Prefential treatment doesn’t even begin to describe the love affair those 13 geeks have w/ the tide. F bama!

Bama didn’t pass that stupid “eye test” nor had a better resume than the other 4 teams. This horseshit pretty boy kirky notion that the committee took the best four teams isn’t rooted in anything other than “we want bama in”. Got their asses kicked at home by double digits and struggled mightily w/ bad teams throughout the season, including needing a miracle on the last play of the regular season to beat a shitty auburn team. So you bama fanboys can continue to defend the committee’s decision, but it was based on nothing other than “we want bama in”. Stop trying to explain it. It was thievery at its finest. They’ve done it at least two other times w/ them. Prefential treatment doesn’t even begin to describe the love affair those 13 geeks have w/ the tide. F bama!
Ouch! Tell us how you really feel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT