ADVERTISEMENT

Who is ND's next commit?

I think in Sept we will see a new offer list go out. The previous OL targets are now long enough shots that reconsiderations and new targets are going to be looked at.
The WR spots look like they are on 'target'.
DL will be a high priority focus by the staff. They will stay on current targets, look for new targets and look for 'flips' where possible.

The 'July High' is over and the fans are getting over being Loy'd or teased by the usual suspects.

Realism is the next phase.

I think in Sept we will see a new offer list go out. The previous OL targets are now long enough shots that reconsiderations and new targets are going to be looked at.
The WR spots look like they are on 'target'.
DL will be a high priority focus by the staff. They will stay on current targets, look for new targets and look for 'flips' where possible.

The 'July High' is over and the fans are getting over being Loy'd or teased by the usual suspects.

Realism is the next phase.

Hello Darkness my old friend.
8273-trial_trouble_dark_clouds_umbrella_man.630w.tn.jpg

According to coaches he out-performed 4* players at the camp.
Stars given to kids based on high school games is silly. After they compete in camps & go against college competition is what matters.
He did very well against college level competition, at least better than a lot of the 4* players.
So your argument is that what a kid does in a t-shirt and shorts matters more than what they do in pads? Smh

rumors are swirling around that our next commitment could be 4 star PA LB Matthew Bauer who is rated as one of the top five LBs in the nation by some services for the 2018 class. hearing that he'll probably be offered when he and his family come back to campus this week or next and that he could commit then

Last edited:
I think our irish also get 4 star CA WR Osiris t. Brown who is on the front page he has decided to announce within the next week or two like there talking about on the front page. he hasn't been accepted into Stanford yet from reports and has been down to the cardinal and our irish. he is ranked anywhere from the 13th to 9th best WR in the nation with offers from Michigan, usc and many other big time programs

I was kidding. I put virtually zero stock in the star ratings.
I disagree, while star ratings are not the end all be all of evaluation it's a good base. As Lou Holtz put it (referring to Ty Willinghams recruiting of three star athletes), "You can find a diamond in the rough from time to time, but you won't make a living on it". Teams like Ohio State Alabama that are littered with five stars. Sorry, I would take those recruits everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

Reactions: Houston Wildcat
I try not to always put too much stock into star rankings either but sometimes you have to say what the hell when some kids get offered. perfect example is an AL WR named Noah Igbinoghene who our irish have offered recently and who is ranked in the 400s overall wise by some services and has a really bad offers list

Last edited:
Reactions: Houston Wildcat
I disagree, while star ratings are not the end all be all of evaluation it's a good base. As Lou Holtz put it (referring to Ty Willinghams recruiting of three star athletes), "You can find a diamond in the rough from time to time, but you won't make a living on it". Teams like Ohio State Alabama that are littered with five stars. Sorry, I would take those recruits everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

when teams winning or finishing at the top of the recruiting rankings stop winning championships, then those fans that argue against the 'stars' will sound less galactically stupidly reeeeediculous!
Motive: sour grapes.

Last edited:
I try not to always put too much stock into star rankings either but sometimes you have to say what the hell when some kids get offered. perfect example is an AL WR named Noah Igbinoghene who our irish have offered recently and who is ranked in the 400s overall wise by some services and has a really bad offers list
I have heard somewhere that the "Early bird gets the worm"!!! Also that the second mouse gets the cheese, but that may not be relevant to the conversation![smile]

when teams winning or finishing at the top of the recruiting rankings stop winning championships, then those fans that argue against the 'stars' will sound less galactically stupidly rediculous!
Motive: sour grapes.
rediculous
Coach Philbin didn't spend enough time studying for his spelling tests.
Spellcheck is a foreign concept for him.

Reactions: Bodizephax

You can't take all of Alabamas 5 star recruits== half wouldn't get accepted into ND and most of them wouldn't leave the deep south.

Looks like Osiris St Brown is trending toward Stanford. Hopefully not true, but if he is hopefully we can get Tarik Black. Can't afford to lose them both.

Looks like Osiris St Brown is trending toward Stanford. Hopefully not true, but if he is hopefully we can get Tarik Black. Can't afford to lose them both.

Wow, whata difference a month makes, off the annual July 'high'. Wills, St Brown, Phillips, Smith, Sarell and a few others likewise said to be trending elsewhere. Of course the reverse trending may not really be a reverse trending at all, but that we were set up again with the CB's and hype as part of the annual off season subscription marketing push.
(The recent new WR interests may have been a tip of re OSB. Black is going all the way to the end in recruiting, with little or no plan B time, so if ND is not the choice it will be a real loss.)

This...... Agreed.

where once discussions were of a top 5 class, things have changed quickly the past few weeks.
Top targets are now looking like long shots and while not writing off those guys, ND is moving down it's 'board'. With 8 3 stars (without a kicker) finishing with a Top 11-15 class looks more likely.

I'm not too worried about '17. The team we have is really young, so they will be playing the next 2-3 years. Only the cream of the crop from '17 will play. And '18 is off to a good start, so I think we will be fine. Not to mention a lot of the guys who are starting now (or in the NFL like Procise & Fuller) weren't highly rated. The '17 class already has 11 kids in the top 300. If those 11 make the two deep I'm happy.
As long as we are solid two deep, which we are, we will be fine.

Reactions: greengael
where once discussions were of a top 5 class, things have changed quickly the past few weeks.
Top targets are now looking like long shots and while not writing off those guys, ND is moving down it's 'board'. With 8 3 stars (without a kicker) finishing with a Top 11-15 class looks more likely.

This happens every year, except one that comes to mind. We always start well and there is all kinds of noise about great hope and expectations and in the end we finish 11,12. Get use to it. Kelly is not the recruiter people think, his staff has done a terrific job and this year finally have gotten out in front of the recruiting cycle like the very top programs are, but Kelly is no Holtz. He is not a closer. He will have a couple more years and he'll be moving on. 8 years or more, at ND, is a very long time. You need to hope that Kizer, or a QB can carry this team to a NC game and maybe things can change. It will be "next man in" for the HC soon enough.

This happens every year, except one that comes to mind. We always start well and there is all kinds of noise about great hope and expectations and in the end we finish 11,12. Get use to it. Kelly is not the recruiter people think, his staff has done a terrific job and this year finally have gotten out in front of the recruiting cycle like the very top programs are, but Kelly is no Holtz. He is not a closer. He will have a couple more years and he'll be moving on. 8 years or more, at ND, is a very long time. You need to hope that Kizer, or a QB can carry this team to a NC game and maybe things can change. It will be "next man in" for the HC soon enough.
Blah, Blah, Blah
He just signed a 6 year extension dummy.

^ well, true and that hurts, but the worst is that ND may slip with the younger brother now.

And Kelly & Staff can recruit offense; at least enough offense to compete with anyone. But not getting the elites on D, especially along the line limits this team. The effort is there but the staff is not a group of miracle workers. There is time, but just like the recent recruiting sessions it only takes 2 commits to change things. ND has just not been able to successfully sign those 2.

But don't fret, we have the sunshine pumpers and pom pom wavers to create the idea that ND is in the mix with Bama, tOSU or FSU.... Probably also Cub fans or decendants of the 'wait till next year' Flatbush fans.
The team will be exciting on offense and interesting on D.

Last edited:
^ well, true and that hurts, but the worst is that ND may slip with the younger brother now.

And Kelly & Staff can recruit offense; at least enough offense to compete with anyone. But not getting the elites on D, especially along the line limits this team. There is time, but just like the recent recruiting sessions it only takes 2 commits to change things. ND has just not been able to successfully sign those 2.

But don't fret, we have the sunshine pumpers and pom pom wavers to create the idea that ND is in the mix with Bama, tOSU or FSU.... Probably also Cub fans or decendants of the 'wait till next year' Flatbush fans.
The team will be exciting on offense and interesting on D.
Copy and paste, copy and paste. I hope you don't waste time typing out responses as EVERY single one has the exact same message. We get it, we get it. Please stop. We do not need to hear this tiresome opinion on every thread every day. It is not revelatory. These 'sunshine' pumpers choose to let BK and his staff recruit the 17 year old kids and cheer on ND with a glass half full and with high expectations on Saturday, knowing ND is doing it the right way. I don't have the time nor do I give a rats ass if ND is slipping with Osisris St Brown or Wils or whomever. It is out of my and your control. That's why the sunshine pumpers will sit back and let BK and their staff continue to build an A+ program. I don't believe anybody here has stated ND has the talent cupboard of Oh St or Bama but rather believe ND has enough talent to compete and have a chance (see LSU, OU, FSU, USC).

Copy and paste, copy and paste. I hope you don't waste time typing out responses as EVERY single one has the exact same message. We get it, we get it. Please stop. We do not need to hear this tiresome opinion on every thread every day. It is not revelatory. These 'sunshine' pumpers choose to let BK and his staff recruit the 17 year old kids and cheer on ND with a glass half full and with high expectations on Saturday, knowing ND is doing it the right way. I don't have the time nor do I give a rats ass if ND is slipping with Osisris St Brown or Wils or whomever. It is out of my and your control. That's why the sunshine pumpers will sit back and let BK and their staff continue to build an A+ program. I don't believe anybody here has stated ND has the talent cupboard of Oh St or Bama but rather believe ND has enough talent to compete and have a chance (see LSU, OU, FSU, USC).
You can't tell the halfwit anything. He has had a jock on once. He put it over his face as he thought it was an air mask.

2018 PA LB Matthew Bauer just committed as everyone saw on the front page. haven't seen film of him yet but all of the recruiting services have him as one of the nations top ten LBs for his class. have read some good things on him but again haven't seen his film yet

Nice pick up! Not a surprise at all but always nice to see ND get a top 100 player. Ovie & Bauer give us alot of flexibility at the LB position. Now the staff can spend the next year and a half trying to catch the biggest game at the position. '18 class continues to look stellar.

the time of year where we talk of 'next class' (18) looking stellar.
Not sure if we were 'Loy'd' in July but the said ND propects are trending elsewheres by the hour!
The prospects of a top class are looking dim; and holding on to a Top 12- 15 placing looks like a best hope, at best.
On paper the schedules starting in '17 ratchet up a notch so the talent grab needs to pick up pace!

ESPN just released their new top 300. Few things of interest:

Do you want stars or best players at their position? ESPN only has 11 Five Star players compared to 30 by other services.
So if you are the 12th best player, but just a Four Star on ESPN, are you not elite?
Foster Sarell isn't even 5 stars anymore.

A bunch of guys who "we have to get" have dropped. Some below guys we already have. There are no "big named 5 stars" left for us to even get.

The ND class is ranked 5th in the update.

To me the new rankings are far superior to old ones because they are done after seeing these kids compete against other elite kids in camps, not against inferior HS competition.

The only top 100 guy left that is very realistic for ND is Echols.

Perse is right, the current top recruiting targets are getting CB'd to other schools like crazy. I am hoping that there is a new list of targets put together this fall. Recruiting is such a difficult game, things slow down for a minute and all of a sudden you are playing from behind. Need to close well on the OL, WR, and in the secondary. Obviously another DE would also be very helpful.

Glad to see that the '18 class is off to such a great start!

Hunter Echols commits to USC.

wow, those lists we read/posted in the "July high" by end of the 2nd week of Aug. the list seems obliterated!

we waz dupped, again! oh, btw: TOS just CB'd Dick Butkis to ND!

Echols may change his mind again after they open 1-2 and Helton gets put on the hot seat or fired before getting on the bus after the Stanford game.

Echols: Ca.

per TOS post: he said he was going to USC all along. hmmm.

Last edited:
gotta say i'm surprised about echols. the way he talked about ND he seemed to totally "get" it. Its not overly surprising that he committed to usc, just very surprised he did it now.

well D_Master someone on another irish board posted that he wasn't a take right now by admissions and if true I don't know if that played a role in his decision or not

Reactions: hoosierstateII
I officially am not worried about recruiting now that actual 2016 practice has started.

The only thing that matters now is this team.

And the biggest thing for recruiting now is winning games anyways.

Reactions: captstabbin
well D_Master someone on another irish board posted that he wasn't a take right now by admissions and if true I don't know if that played a role in his decision or not

well Donovan Jeter is the next 'name in the news'; DE/DT - ND has a good shot and he is a good prospect.

i would think that it had to. He even came out and said ND was his leader 2 weeks ago. It seemed like he was getting close to several ND commits in the '17 class and was talking about making an official in the fall. Really reminds me of when Daelin Hayes said he loved ND w/ every fiber of his being and then commited to USC a week later. I hope it ends the same way for us in the end again. Maybe i'm an optimist but i feel like this 1 isnt over yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT