ADVERTISEMENT

Who is ND's next commit?

Hopefully not another 3 star.

According to coaches he out-performed 4* players at the camp.
Stars given to kids based on high school games is silly. After they compete in camps & go against college competition is what matters.
He did very well against college level competition, at least better than a lot of the 4* players.

my guess is that we will have a slow period now. we're down to 6-8 spots left, with alot of guys out there on the board planning official visits. wouldnt be surprised at all if there isnt another commit until around the time of the MSU game. No idea who at this point either.

Stars given to kids based on high school games is silly. After they compete in camps & go against college competition is what matters.
He did very well against college level competition, at least better than a lot of the 4* players.
I was kidding. I put virtually zero stock in the star ratings.

Reactions: Bodizephax
i'm with D_Master when he says there may not be a commit for a while. our irish have a good to great shot with several 4 and 5 star guys like 5 OT star Sarell Foster. 4 star and soon to be 5 star CB Thomas Graham. 4 star Echols amongst many others and none of them are probably not committing anywhere soon until after a few OVs this fall

Reactions: D_Master

a kind of cunundrum for us then.
some fans are unhappy with the drop of some ND commits because they did not attend the camps; their ratings based on actual competition with their teams. Now we say the emphasis should be on the camps?

I think it is a combo of the two; and pundits will use whatever data they can get to make determinations. More data (eyes on, vids and camps) is better of course.

as for Young he is a baller! but he has a lot of competition at his position and maybe they grade out a bit bigger and faster. Me? I like the kids toughness and he has vision and a deadly cross over move!

a kind of cunundrum for us then.
some fans are unhappy with the drop of some ND commits because they did not attend the camps; their ratings based on actual competition with their teams. Now we say the emphasis should be on the camps?

I think it is a combo of the two; and pundits will use whatever data they can get to make determinations. More data (eyes on, vids and camps) is better of course.

as for Young he is a baller! but he has a lot of competition at his position and maybe they grade out a bit bigger and faster. Me? I like the kids toughness and he has vision and a deadly cross over move!

I think the value of the camp is two-fold:
1) You see a kid competing against other D1 kids.
2) You put the kid in situations you plan on using him in. So if a kid is misused in HS, say they have him playing tackle, but you put him at TE at the camp & excels. You evaluate a kid in the way you see him.

There are only usually 10 kids nationally everybody agrees on. Everybody else is a crapshoot.

Reactions: Kelso86
and he refuses to recognize that Bama and tOSU have dominated; so whatever he thinks is irrelevant uninformed and unreliable

OSU hasn't dominated the same way Bama has.
They beat one team (Bama) by a point in a fluke of a game then beat an overrated Oregon team to win a title. Other than that they haven't showed field dominance. The past two years they lost at home to MSU & at an average VT team. But still put a record number of guys in the NFL.
You got on me for saying it, but I didn't write it, a Bama staff writer wrote it, saying the core of the past seven years has been the 3 & 4 star players. They have had big names, but when the chips were down it was the 5th year Seniors, who were 3* & 4* recruits, who turned into gems, that held things together.
Bama does get 5* players, but the heart & soul was the other guys.

don't waste your time: you can't learn a damned thing.
refer to the part where you are irrelevant uninformed and unreliable. really that's your story!

OSU hasn't dominated the same way Bama has.
They beat one team (Bama) by a point in a fluke of a game then beat an overrated Oregon team to win a title. Other than that they haven't showed field dominance. The past two years they lost at home to MSU & at an average VT team. But still put a record number of guys in the NFL.
You got on me for saying it, but I didn't write it, a Bama staff writer wrote it, saying the core of the past seven years has been the 3 & 4 star players. They have had big names, but when the chips were down it was the 5th year Seniors, who were 3* & 4* recruits, who turned into gems, that held things together.
Bama does get 5* players, but the heart & soul was the other guys.

I have to respectfully disagree with you -- OSU is creating a monster in Columbus -- they are set to have the #1 class for the 2017 cycle, and, from what I read (live here in Columbus), they are on pace for something similar for the 2018 cycle. As long as Urban is there, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

"They beat one team (Bama) by a point in a fluke of a game then beat an overrated Oregon team to win a title."

Bama was lucky that OSU turned the ball over 3-4 times that game -- it would have been a blow out otherwise (and BTW -- it was a 7 point win in the Sugar Bowl). And Oregon, they basically beat them down (yes, Oregon was a little over-rated, but OSU physically beat them up!). As for MSU -- they played not to lose, instead of just playing -- that team last year was phenomenally loaded. When they finally decided who they wanted to be -- they manhandled teams -- yes, including ND.

college football is becoming Meyer vs Saban.
We actually need USC and LSU to start taking those 5*'s to delute the dispersion.

well, yep; but of the 3 - better ND's allied rival stop the 'new' evil empires!
Clearly, SC is in a far better position to do that than ND whose location and institutional values are less than 'advantageous'.

and spreading out the elites as diversely as possible is in ND's advantage!

yep it is all Ovie! but Ovie ain't ova growing! what is he 15 or 16?
he will be 6'3-4 and probably 220+ by time he shows up.

his vids are fun to watch; he is 'the cleaner'; if you're out there, he's gonna get you!

Last edited:
Could be the DE Hunter Echols. Just decomitted tonight. Has been expected for awhile, but its great to actually see it when it happens. Now, IMO its only a matter of time until he makes it official to ND. I thought he might drag it out longer, but recently 1 of the ND reporters basically said he didnt think it would take as long for him to flip as Alize Jones. He's gotten pretty close w/ alot of ND commits who've been in his ear.

yes this is interesting; he has been courting and getting courted by ND and now we are starting to see CB's go Arizona? huh?

yeah i dont get that. He may be into Arizona too and i'm only seeing things from ND's point of view. But he's been nothing but positive and rumors of a possible decommit have been out there since the irish invasion camp back in june. If i'm throwing down a CB, I'm putting it in for ND.

I hear he likes Arizona, usc, Michigan along with our irish but I just don't see him going anywhere but to south bend just from the way he talks about our irish in interviews

In an interview on another site Echols told the reporter that ND is #1 right now. So anyone putting in CBs for Arizona must not think he will leave the west coast.

Also Echols said this ""Academics, alumni, and the power of the degree," said Echols, when asked what factors will play a role in his recruitment going forward. "I know a lot the schools I'm looking at have good degrees, so it won't be as much about that. It will be more about the alumni base and life after football.
"That's why I'm so high on Notre Dame. Academics, graduation rate and football. It's the best of both worlds."

Unfortunately it sounds like he's waiting until Jan to announce his decision at the AAA bowl.

At this point, unless I hear something drastically different come out of his mouth, I consider him a part of our class. Its been rumored for awhile, but now w/ the public decommitment from ucla it seems all but inevitable at this point.

Interestingly, I looked it up just to see, but on July 7th he gave an interview where he said he was firmly commmited to UCLA. This is why i dont pay alot of attention to public comments, watch what they do.

from what he told Anna today D_Master it really looks like he'll choose our irish in jan at the army all-American bowl game. he also talked about how he likes the small quiet town feel of south bend

"...likes the small quiet town feel of south bend." good grief, you don't hear props for SB very often!

I have to respectfully disagree with you -- OSU is creating a monster in Columbus -- they are set to have the #1 class for the 2017 cycle, and, from what I read (live here in Columbus), they are on pace for something similar for the 2018 cycle. As long as Urban is there, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

"They beat one team (Bama) by a point in a fluke of a game then beat an overrated Oregon team to win a title."

Bama was lucky that OSU turned the ball over 3-4 times that game -- it would have been a blow out otherwise (and BTW -- it was a 7 point win in the Sugar Bowl). And Oregon, they basically beat them down (yes, Oregon was a little over-rated, but OSU physically beat them up!). As for MSU -- they played not to lose, instead of just playing -- that team last year was phenomenally loaded. When they finally decided who they wanted to be -- they manhandled teams -- yes, including ND.

I personally believe that UM is the best college couch in the Nation with Saban second. Nick did well at MSU, but could not dominate until went to a conference that is not really too worried about the "Student" in student athlete. UM wins seemingly regardless of talent and with talent just becomes unbeatable.

The real question for UM however is when will he self destruct? Turmoil, arrests, bad judgement, etc.....Hard to change your spots.....

well haven't notre dame official and city officials gotten together pers and put a lot of money and time into cleaning up south bend by tearing down old houses and putting new condos and other nice things like the eddie street area right across from the campus

well haven't notre dame official and city officials gotten together pers and put a lot of money and time into cleaning up south bend by tearing down old houses and putting new condos and other nice things like the eddie street area right across from the campus

well, good to hear that and better that it is showing dividends! My impressions of SB are from the posts I read here and TOS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT