ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Rees end up

He was already an OC at Notre Dame and at Alabama—he’s not going to be one at a “MAC or Big West school“; it’s either an OC at an elite program or head coach for him now.
That’s what he should have done. He was and still isn’t ready for an OC job at ND or Bama. Just not ready.

Classy to interview Tommy which will help him land a job elsewhere. Good job Saban and Bama. I am a little surprised however Nick did not have his successor lined up. This could get awkward.

Yeah no improvement in their offense from Game 1 to Game 14 was there ?

Certainly no improvement in their QB play either right ?
He ran Alabamas offense to be the worst they had since 2008. Does he not get blame for having the offense be so poor to start the season?

Being better than the start of the season is not saying much. They should have been better than that. You don't get kudos for improving something that should have been better to begin with

Reactions: edub72
Rees is the new Lane Kiffen, constantly failing up.
Let's see... He was one play away (4 yards) from making it to the National Championship game - with a QB was not ready for the big stage! I'm very proud of Rees and wish him the best. When he was a QB I said he'd someday come back to coach the Irish. Had a year with the GOAT and nearly ten years with one of the best CFB coaches. Pretty good internship.

I think he has a bunch of choices right now.

Let's see... He was one play away (4 yards) from making it to the National Championship game - with a QB was not ready for the big stage! I'm very proud of Rees and wish him the best. When he was a QB I said he'd someday come back to coach the Irish. Had a year with the GOAT and nearly ten years with one of the best CFB coaches. Pretty good internship.

I think he has a bunch of choices right now.
He was two plays (TD + PAT) from playing a 2nd OT. He was one play from losing to Auburn though.

Washington? I think it would be a mistake but, we hired MF and I liked it

He ran Alabamas offense to be the worst they had since 2008. Does he not get blame for having the offense be so poor to start the season?

Being better than the start of the season is not saying much. They should have been better than that. You don't get kudos for improving something that should have been better to begin with

Yeah I know-----he had a QB and WR group that had almost no game experience and they should be top shelf on Day 1.

They go from barely being able to score against USF to beating 4 Top 20 teams-----2 of which were Top 10 with one being the 2 time defending National Champion and that isn't saying much to you.

How pathetic is that ?

Do us all a favor. When you figure out if the ball has air or feathers in it enighten us.

Reactions: jeans525
If true, great for Rees, he's learning from Saban and now Saban's tree. To be the best you have to learn from the best.
And maybe when he’s very experienced he might be on the ND sideline as head coach. You never know.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Yeah I know-----he had a QB and WR group that had almost no game experience and they should be top shelf on Day 1.

They go from barely being able to score against USF to beating 4 Top 20 teams-----2 of which were Top 10 with one being the 2 time defending National Champion and that isn't saying much to you.

How pathetic is that ?

Do us all a favor. When you figure out if the ball has air or feathers in it enighten us.
Being at Alabama winning a lot of games.... That never happens

It was all because of him. Alabama was struggling before he got there

How pathetic are you?

Failing up? He has been full time OC for 4 seasons at 2 different schools and his teams have made the CFP twice. He has had to work Book, Coan, Buchner, Pyne and Milroe as QBs. Not exactly the Mt Rushmore of collegiate QBs.

Now he is going to the Nations best program and best Coach?

You have pretty lofty standards. Wonder what you were doing at 30 years old? Compare it to Tommy Rees and get back to me?

Reactions: 4-4-3
Lane Kiffin seemed to be failing up as well, and he's become a very good HC.
Kiffin when he was young had great offense and it was easy to see he was brilliant at calling games. Have you seen that yet from Rees?

Kiffin when he was young had great offense and it was easy to see he was brilliant at calling games. Have you seen that yet from Rees?
Yes, are you blind? What he did his last year at ND with a DII type QB in Pyne was remarkable.

Yes, are you blind? What he did his last year at ND with a DII type QB in Pyne was remarkable.
It was okay. Notre Dame won 9 games. Not Tommy Rees. Our defense was good and our ST was awesome that year. Very rarely did I say that was a brilliant call. He had some good moments and a lot of head scratching moments.

We had a lot of talent

It was okay. Notre Dame won 9 games. Not Tommy Rees. Our defense was good and our ST was awesome that year. Very rarely did I say that was a brilliant call. He had some good moments and a lot of head scratching moments.

We had a lot of talent
We could say the same about Freeman.

Yea, ND had a lot of talent this year too, with a much better QB room, yet ND managed a +1 win increase over the previous year. Very rarely did I say Freeman was brilliant in a game , he had some good moments, and a lot of head scratching moments. 10 men on the field on consecutive plays in the final moments of a huge game come to mind as a huge blunder.

We could say the same about Freeman.

Yea, ND had a lot of talent this year too, with a much better QB room, yet ND managed a +1 win increase over the previous year. Very rarely did I say Freeman was brilliant in a game , he had some good moments, and a lot of head scratching moments. 10 men on the field on consecutive plays in the final moments of a huge game come to mind as a huge blunder.
So we agree

Failing up? He has been full time OC for 4 seasons at 2 different schools and his teams have made the CFP twice. He has had to work Book, Coan, Buchner, Pyne and Milroe as QBs. Not exactly the Mt Rushmore of collegiate QBs.

You have pretty lofty standards. Wonder what you were doing at 30 years old? Compare it to Tommy Rees and get back to me?
He was also the guy that recruited book, Coan, buchner, pyne...

Reactions: bizzybecknd

What was meant was he seems to have the misfortune to be where the head coach’s exit puts him in the temporary unemployed group.

I
And maybe when he’s very experienced he might be on the ND sideline as head coach. You never know.
I think his being the head football coach at ND, is something I expect to happen in a not too distant future.
He will hone his skills and gain experience before that possible opportunity. T. Rees, Notre Dame Head Football coach, hmmm, not far fetched.

Reactions: NDinNJ
I

I think his being the head football coach at ND, is something I expect to happen in a not too distant future.
He will hone his skills and gain experience before that possible opportunity. T. Rees, Notre Dame Head Football coach, hmmm, not far fetched.
Tommy is 31, whether or not he chooses the head coach route in CFB or as an NFL OC............ time is certainly on his side. Lots of time. IMO he has a bright future whatever he pursues.

I am more curious where Tommy will be in 2024, 2025, and 2026.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT