ADVERTISEMENT

What many in the Media are missing about Notre Dame

I think there will end up being 3 conferences and what prevents the SEC and B1G from having their own championship game ? The other teams and conferences could do - by their own choice - whatever they want. I have a feeling that most would consider the winner of the new SEC-B1G championship game the NC. I'm sure these two mega conferences already have a plan and attorneys in place to combat future issues like you'er describing. As for a lawsuit by ND, the B1G could always come back with "we invited you and you said NO." Gotta believe that would be the end of it

Don't know how true, but I also read on another site (the O-Zone) this morning that ESPN is now trying to end it's contract with the ACC. Question, does the ACC have a TV contract with ESPN ?
For the BiG and SEC to have their own championship would require them to break away from the NCAA and form a separate league. I don't see ND going the route of semi-pro football, not when they are academic first, athletic 2nd.

The same teams they always had give ir take.

Do you think all of a sudden because conferences now have 20 teams or something like that they won't play other games? No...they've already begun talking about having crossover ganes or rather REAL non conference games. More of them.

Matter of fact I'd bet you a wooden nickel it will actually be easier for ND to get games.

You can't have exclusive b10vsb10 and SEC vs SEC games and that's it.

That ship will be boring really quick and it's not yet even set sail.
To add (edit button not working) ND would be highly sought after. You can bet teams that are being promoted to get out of conference games...REAL games...will be trying to land ND on it's schedule. Absolutely positively damn straight.

It's a HUGE marquee non conference game.

They'd have no trouble getting games

You're saying that the B1G-SEC doesn't have the right to set up their own championship at the end without labeling it the NC - although most would consider it the true NC? Don't many conferences already have inter-conference tournaments in basketball?
lol, inter-conference tournament that feeds into a national tournament consisting of teams from multiple conferences and where a NATIONAL champion is crowned

Reactions: 88ND
I don't see ND going the route of semi-pro football, not when they are academic first, athletic 2nd.

Then they should breakaway now from the NCAA or quit football altogether.

CFB is now Semi pro. Players getting paid sure looks like some kimd of profession to me. "Semi pro" or not.

To add (edit button not working) ND would be highly sought after. You can bet teams that are being promoted to get out of conference games...REAL games...will be trying to land ND on it's schedule. Absolutely positively damn straight.

It's a HUGE marquee non conference game.

They'd have no trouble getting games

I agree. ND could schedule the best teams from the ACC, PAC remnants, B12 because those teams would be desperate to appear legitimate.

I read a tweet that NBC is willing to triple ND's payout in the next contract. If true, along with ACC media rights, that would be about $50 million per year. Much better than today's deal, but about half of what SEC and Big Ten teams will pull.

I don't buy the BS from some that ND has no leverage - they do. The B1G is in a holding pattern right now waiting on ND.

But to those of you that think that ND can keep telling powerful conferences to take a hike and "we'll do what we want".......get real. Do you think you're still going to be able to schedule your traditional powerful rivals - like USC, Stanford (and others) after they've become part of one of the conferences you keep thumbing your nose at? It's already being mentioned on the USC boards. Your future schedules could be made up of teams that weren't invited to join one of the 2 or probably 3 monster conference when it's all said and done.

And come Playoff selection time ? Right now, you're OK but......

And then there's the mnassive amount of money. I read a report on ESPN that if the B1G adds ND, and a few others that already been mentioned, the payout could reach around $130 million per school by 2025. Seeing the same figures for the SEC after a few more are added.

Go to the ACC boards - Clemson, FSU, Miami - pick one - and they're convinced they'll be part of another conference in the very near future and that the ACC is on life support. The PAC is toast and will probably merge with the LEFTOVER Big 12 teams to form a 3rd league.

I hope ND joins the B1G as I've always been an ND fan as they're right behind Iowa. Plus, your academics line up with the B1G better than any other conference. But if some of you take your blinders off, it should be obvious you'll have no choice but to join a conference - especially for future scheduling. It's just a matter of time
And yet…all those schools try to get on ND’s schedule …

Then they should breakaway now from the NCAA or quit football altogether.

CFB is now Semi pro. Players getting paid sure looks like some kimd of profession to me. "Semi pro" or not.
ND is not making those payments to the players. They are working within the rules of NIL. ND players still have to go to class, take real classes, big difference.

For the BiG and SEC to have their own championship would require them to break away from the NCAA and form a separate league. I don't see ND going the route of semi-pro football, not when they are academic first, athletic 2nd.
This isn't true at all. And, although I don't think anyone will try to freeze out ND, the idea that it would be barred by the courts is silly. You would have to prove an antitrust violation. Teams currently have agreements that restrict other teams. Absent the impact of the final four the Rose Bowl only takes teams for the Pac 12 and BIG. The SEC championship doesn't allow Notre Dame in.

The BIG and SEC could agree only to only schedule each other. You may remember that ND prizes independence because it allows them to choose who they play.

The BIG and SEC could also agree to an annual game between conference champions. The Pac is in talks right now with the ACC to do this. The only thing they couldn't do is call in "The NCAA Championship." But with where the NCAA stands now, I doubt anyone would care.

IMO there is no chance ND will be frozen out. USC even specifically discussed the need to keep it game with ND in the negotiations. That being said it doesn't help to make up things when discussing the issue.

ND is not making those payments to the players. They are working within the rules of NIL. ND players still have to go to class, take real classes, big difference.
Directly or indirectly...either way they're getting paid.
My statement was in response to someone suggesting ND won't be going the semi pro route....
I.e. getting paid?

That ship is in motion

This isn't true at all. And, although I don't think anyone will try to freeze out ND, the idea that it would be barred by the courts is silly. You would have to prove an antitrust violation. Teams currently have agreements that restrict other teams. Absent the impact of the final four the Rose Bowl only takes teams for the Pac 12 and BIG. The SEC championship doesn't allow Notre Dame in.

The BIG and SEC could agree only to only schedule each other. You may remember that ND prizes independence because it allows them to choose who they play.

The BIG and SEC could also agree to an annual game between conference champions. The Pac is in talks right now with the ACC to do this. The only thing they couldn't do is call in "The NCAA Championship." But with where the NCAA stands now, I doubt anyone would care.

IMO there is no chance ND will be frozen out. USC even specifically discussed the need to keep it game with ND in the negotiations. That being said it doesn't help to make up things when discussing the issue.
The rose bowl is part of the cfp rotation of bowls.
The SEC championship is just that just like they have conference championships in basketball..
It's apples and oranges freezing teams/conferences out of the playoffs vs bowl games/agreements. Hence why they haven't excluded any non-P5 conference teams from being eligible for the cfp. Cincinnati last season was the perfect example of this.
If what you say could be done, The P5 would have done this long ago.

Not disagreeing...Just trying to get you to think about a way to get into a conference on your own terms. As of now, the ACC...or the ACC as we know it...may not be the place anyone thought it was. Even if it is currently concluded that no member can leave because of the GOR, that will mean 14 years of insider infighting. Nothing constructive will get done. The sport will move on but the ACC willl be a stagnant pool if change does not happen.
Who's side are you on?

You're saying that the B1G-SEC doesn't have the right to set up their own championship at the end without labeling it the NC - although most would consider it the true NC? Don't many conferences already have inter-conference tournaments in basketball?

The SEC championship is just that just like they have conference championships in basketball..
It's apples and oranges freezing teams/conferences out of the playoffs vs bowl games/agreements. Hence why they haven't excluded any non-P5 conference teams from being eligible for the cfp. Cincinnati last season was the perfect example of this.
This reminds about the college football playoff; it was set up by the BUG and $EC. The other three 'power' conferences {ACC, Big12, PAC12} were told to take it or leave it. They took it and then the Big2 worked to destroy the other three conferences. Is anyone else rueing that terrible decision?

Saying it apples and oranges just dodges the issue. Teams are free to participate in bowl games The only thing they can't do is call them an NCAA championship. If they want that title, they have to go through the current playoff agreement until in runs out it 2025. The P5 is doing this right now. They have many exclusive bowl agreements.

They agreed to a method of determining the school which gets to call itself the NCAA champion, that is all. That agreement runs out in 2025. USC joins the BIG in 2024, Texas and Okla join the SEC in 2025. At that point (and we are talking about the impact of those moves) They will be free to do as they please.

lol, inter-conference tournament that feeds into a national tournament consisting of teams from multiple conferences and where a NATIONAL champion is crowned
Setting up their own championship for football could also get them thrown out of March Madness by the other schools.

Setting up their own championship for football could also get them thrown out of March Madness by the other schools.
Yeah, schools, many of whom don't even have football teams or have teams with little value, are going to dilute the value of their primarily source of sports revenue. And, of course, the TV people will be fine with excluding teams from the biggest markets in America. You think anyone is really going to consider the winner the best team in America when the BIG and SEC are left out? When UCLA is left out?

Come on guys, ND is protected because it is part of the very fabric of college football, because it has devoted fans who travel, because it has great viewership. That is the reason that every league does and will want them. That is why USC, although you have been kicking our butts lately, tried everything it could to convince ND to join the BIG.

You should rely on this, not silly made-up revenge fantasies and meritless lawsuits.

Last edited:
Yeah, schools, many of whom don't even have football teams or have teams with little value, are going to dilute the value of their primarily source of sports revenue. And, of course, the TV people will be fine with excluding teams from the biggest markets in America. You think anyone is really going to consider the best team in America when the BIG and SEC are left out? When UCLA is left out?

Come on guys, ND is protected because it is part of the very fabric of college football, because it has devoted fans who travel, because it has great viewership. That is the reason that every league does and will want them. That is why USC, although you have been licking our bitts lately, tried everything it could to convince ND to join the BIG.

You should rely on this, not silly made-up revenge fantasies and meritless lawsuits.
Haha Beach--you may want to find the edit button!

I admit I am terrible at proofing. Bitts rather than butts? Is that what you mean? Actually, I think both are true.

The idea that ND could be excluded from participation in a playoff would likely be the subject of litigation. This same principal is what led to the non-power 5 conference teams being guaranteed a New Year's Day bowl bid.

Reactions: NDinNJ
The idea that ND could be excluded from participation in a playoff would likely be the subject of litigation. This same principal is what led to the non-power 5 conference teams being guaranteed a New Year's Day bowl bid.

I sure there will be lawsuits. The point is they are meritless. Also, actions like these will likely lead to the end of the NCAA and cfb will just become a series of contractual agreement between teams, That is when the Utah's of the world will suffer.

I sure there will be lawsuits. The point is they are meritless. Also, actions like these will likely lead to the end of the NCAA and cfb will just become a series of contractual agreement between teams, That is when the Utah's of the world will suffer.
We will see if they are meritless.

We will see if they are meritless.
Maybe. If they are actually filed. I have litigated in Utah and like many state the government files many lawsuits seeking votes rather than victories. People need to remember the NCAA is a voluntary association,

I admit I am terrible at proofing. Bitts rather than butts? Is that what you mean? Actually, I think both are true.
No worries, and I certainly I got your meaning, but thought licking your bitts was unintentionally funny. I left my teens a long while back but my sense of humor stayed behind.

All of these posts mentioning two conferences having their own championship is nothing short of forum fluff. Zero, absolutely zero truth to any of it. Any articles referring to this are simply click bait.

Saying it apples and oranges just dodges the issue. Teams are free to participate in bowl games The only thing they can't do is call them an NCAA championship. If they want that title, they have to go through the current playoff agreement until in runs out it 2025. The P5 is doing this right now. They have many exclusive bowl agreements.

They agreed to a method of determining the school which gets to call itself the NCAA champion, that is all. That agreement runs out in 2025. USC joins the BIG in 2024, Texas and Okla join the SEC in 2025. At that point (and we are talking about the impact of those moves) They will be free to do as they please.
The agreement runs out in 2026. If you are going to BS on a forum at least get your facts straight with timing. What a tool. 😂

I don't care at all what ND does but after reading all this is pretty obvious that ND fans are terrified of having to actually play a real schedule and not gimmick its way into the playoffs.

I don't care at all what ND does but after reading all this is pretty obvious that ND fans are terrified of having to actually play a real schedule and not gimmick its way into the playoffs.

It's pretty obvious that you have a bug up your ass about ND. ND's "gimmick" getting into the playoffs was an an undefeated regular season (twice). Go have some fun watching the Hoosiers this year. Think they can make it to .500?

All of these posts mentioning two conferences having their own championship is nothing short of forum fluff. Zero, absolutely zero truth to any of it. Any articles referring to this are simply click bait.
As close as I can come to understanding you point; you feel that the Pac-132 and ACC could not agree to have their conference champions play each other. This is not true as exemplified by the many bowl games where two conference agree in advance to send teams from their and only their conferences. I am a bit surprised you don't know this. The only restriction would be to not call the winner the NCAA champion.

😂 yet you are on an ND forum discussing why ND needs to join a conference . lol 😂 Another tool

Reactions: BGI User 756
The only restriction would be to not call the winner the NCAA champion.
What you seem to fail to understand is the other bowl games are meaningless. Currently there are only 2 bowl games that actually matter, and the teams that play in those two bowl games are decided by a group of individuals that are part of the cfp committee. Outside of the two bowl games that matter, most of the others are boring with tickets they can't give away, and that includes those bowls that are tied to the BIG and SEC.

What you seem to fail to understand is the other bowl games are meaningless. Currently there are only 2 bowl games that actually matter, and the teams that play in those two bowl games are decided by a group of individuals that are part of the cfp committee. Outside of the two bowl games that matter, most of the others are boring with tickets they can't give away, and that includes those bowls that are tied to the BIG and SEC.
I never wrote they were meaningful. You wrote they couldn't be done unless team left the NCAA. That isn't true.

I said the championship/playoffs couldn't be. reading comprehension is important.
For the BiG and SEC to have their own championship would require them to break away from the NCAA and form a separate league.

Once again, this isn't true. So long as they don't call it the NCAA championship, they can schedule this every year. Leagues that don't have a team in the playoffs often play in bowl games that match conference champions. Happens every year. You are simply wrong. For decades the Rose Bowl matched the Big 10 and Pac champions.

This from CBS:

CBS Sports has confirmed the ACC and Pac-12 have discussed a ‘loose partnership' that could include 'championship game' in Las Vegas as a way to get ESPN to pay more — http://CBSSports.com

It is surprising that the ACC, the Pac-12, ESPN and CBS all missed the fact that the schools would have to quit the NCAA to do this.

Last edited:
For the BiG and SEC to have their own championship would require them to break away from the NCAA and form a separate league.

Once again, this isn't true. So long as they don't call it the NCAA championship, they can schedule this every year. Leagues that don't have a team in the playoffs often play in bowl games that match conference champions. Happens every year. You are simply wrong. For decades the Rose Bowl matched the Big 10 and Pac champions.

This from CBS:

CBS Sports has confirmed the ACC and Pac-12 have discussed a ‘loose partnership' that could include 'championship game' in Las Vegas as a way to get ESPN to pay more — http://CBSSports.com

It is surprising that the ACC, the Pac-12, ESPN and CBS all missed the fact that the schools would have to quit the NCAA to do this.
a championship game between two conferences means nothing except for the two conferences involved. Your entire point to this was they would be considered national champions, and again they would not be recognized as a national champions under the NCAA or the CFP. The Media can crown whom they want, but just like the AP rankings today, it means squat.

And again they would not be recognized as a national champion under the NCAA or the CFP
I would invite you go back and read my posts. From the start and many times, I mentioned it could not be recognized as the NCAA championship.

Lol. Your schedule in 2022 and recent years has some real powerhouses with Idaho, Western Kentucky, eastern Illinois, Charleston Southern , Ga Southern, Rutgers and MD each year…and Purdue each year….

“real schedule”

Reactions: NDinNJ
I watched the Ohio State/Utah Rose Bowl.

That game mattered to the players. It also mattered to the 94,000 fans.

I watched the Ohio State/Utah Rose Bowl.

That game mattered to the players. It also mattered to the 94,000 fans.
You heard him. Two games! What's weird is there are two semifinal games and a championship game. That's three games. I wonder which one doesn't mean anything.

I would invite you go back and read my posts. From the start and many times, I mentioned it could not be recognized as the NCAA championship.
Lol. Your schedule in 2022 and recent years has some real powerhouses with Idaho, Western Kentucky, eastern Illinois, Charleston Southern , Ga Southern, Rutgers and MD each year…and Purdue each year….

“real schedule”
Ouch!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT