ADVERTISEMENT

What many in the Media are missing about Notre Dame

Why would the BIG care if Phil gives Oregon money unless they get a cut?

They don't care----they'll even ignore their 48,000 seat stadium .

But ND is the Big Ten priority . There's no doubt about this and Phil will have to be patient.

Where's he going to go------the Big 12 ? LOL

This doesn't have to get done today or by the weekend .

Stop listening to the know nothings on the radio.

They don't care----they'll even ignore their 48,000 seat stadium .

But ND is the Big Ten priority . There's no doubt about this and Phil will have to be patient.

Where's he going to go------the Big 12 ? LOL

This doesn't have to get done today or by the weekend .

Stop listening to the know nothings on the radio.
So why would they take Oregon?

Notre Dame has no leverage. They can survive (for now) being an independent but I think that's getting increasingly harder. I fully expect them to decline this new attempt from the Big 10 and I'm sure Notre Dame will continue to do what they do. But at some point their hand is going to be forced. Rutgers and Illinois and in state schools Indiana and Purdue are about to be making 3x what Notre Dame makes in tv revenue. At some point there will be a squeeze.

And laugh out loud at ND threatening to join the SEC.
Uuuhhh....

Hello, I'm earth....have we met?

Notre Dame is it's very own brand. They are their own conference.

What's it with this trendy bullshit of OMG, OMG, OMFG ND needs to join a conference. NO. They don't need any conference and unless you were born yesterday ND cherishes it's Independence

ND offers alot - no doubt. But I think many are selling Oregon short with their Nike money. Uncle Phil basically gives that school whatever they ask for and if you doubt that, check out their athletic facilities. He just came out and said he wants Oregon in the B1G. Wanna bet they get in? Plus, Portland has around a population of 650,000 (city) and 2.5 million metro - that's quite a few TV sets
Except that's not football country.

One is that it is a standard breach of contract with a big exit fee being damages. another is that the ACC still holds ND's media rights for home basketball and a few other sports.

Finally ND is actually fairly risk averse about her public image. 'She' would not like being sued for breaking her word when said word was actually in writing. ND would not move unless enough schools had decided to cancel the ACC altogether.
Still won't move.

They do the ACC for Men's basketball only and it's been a stupid move.
Women's basketball doesn't need a conference. Baseball plays Mac teams a lot.
Hockey competes in the Big10...

UConn WBB needs no major conference.

ND WBB needs no major conference

All this dilly dicking around for MBB.

DUMB

Still won't move.

DUMB

You are clueless. There are many more sports than those you mention. The ACC has been a good home for them. The baseball team just went to the CWS. That doesn't happen if we are in the MAC. If not for the ACC affiliation, a lot of the other sports would take a nosedive.

ND certainly has power. Easily more than any school not in the SEC or Big Ten.

But knowing to cut a deal when your power is at its zenith is the key. People, corporations, etc sometimes wait too long and miss their opportunity to make the best deal possible. In 1998, Yahoo could have purchased Google for $1 million. Yahoo was at the height of its bargaining power wrt to Google. They looked to buy a few years later but Google answered "no thanks".

The SEC and Big Ten will probably always take ND. But that doesn't mean the available deal will be the same in 2026 as in 2023.

Reactions: BGI User 756
There are more important things than cash, and no, I'm not talking about lofty ideals.

First of all, does joining a conference hurt or help Notre Dame's brand? I would argue that having a home on network television every week is worth a lot more than the paltry sum that they currently get. It's advertising - name recognition. OSU doesn't get that. Michigan doesn't get that. It would probably be worth it if ND got paid nothing for it.

Secondly, ND has always had a seat at the table, be it BCS or whatever. How many times have you heard "The power 5 and Notre Dame?" No other school gets mentioned by name like ND does. They lose all that by joining a conference.

ND is not hurting for money by any stretch. Every penny of the NBC contract goes back into the school in the form of scholarships. They have an endowment in the top 10 in the country, worth 18 B or so. They are also on of the top 5 most profitable athletic departments in the country.

Finally, they will renegotiate with NBC soon. They will make another apparel deal. The ACC may make a move yet. There is no reason for them to make a move now, absolutely none. The B1G will take them today, tomorrow, or 5 years from now.

Their biggest asset is their brand. What good is cash if you are destroying your brand in the process?

Still won't move.

DUMB
Actually you are a bit uniformed on the priority ND places on all sports. They value those big time, even though they don’t generate revenue

Reactions: NDSMC78
There are more important things than cash, and no, I'm not talking about lofty ideals.

First of all, does joining a conference hurt or help Notre Dame's brand? I would argue that having a home on network television every week is worth a lot more than the paltry sum that they currently get. It's advertising - name recognition. OSU doesn't get that. Michigan doesn't get that. It would probably be worth it if ND got paid nothing for it.

Secondly, ND has always had a seat at the table, be it BCS or whatever. How many times have you heard "The power 5 and Notre Dame?" No other school gets mentioned by name like ND does. They lose all that by joining a conference.

ND is not hurting for money by any stretch. Every penny of the NBC contract goes back into the school in the form of scholarships. They have an endowment in the top 10 in the country, worth 18 B or so. They are also on of the top 5 most profitable athletic departments in the country.

Finally, they will renegotiate with NBC soon. They will make another apparel deal. The ACC may make a move yet. There is no reason for them to make a move now, absolutely none. The B1G will take them today, tomorrow, or 5 years from now.

Their biggest asset is their brand. What good is cash if you are destroying your brand in the process?

Understood and good post, but Army used to have a good brand too. A $75 M delta per year is going to be awfully hard to overcome. USC and UCLA came to that realization. Trojans found $100 M reasons to find new traditions. I am glad Jack is in charge. Our leverage will never be better. ESPN wants to save the ACC. Fox wants to see NC and Virginia in the BIG. The SEC is reluctant to take Clemson, Canes, and FSU, because ESPN does not want the ACC insecurity. And ND holds the keys to it all. What is interesting to me is NBC's lack of involvement--since TV is running much of this. Unless they are going to quadruple our deal, we are not going to make it on tradition alone. That is just a fact.

Understood and good post, but Army used to have a good brand too. A $75 M delta per year is going to be awfully hard to overcome. USC and UCLA came to that realization. Trojans found $100 M reasons to find new traditions. I am glad Jack is in charge. Our leverage will never be better. ESPN wants to save the ACC. Fox wants to see NC and Virginia in the BIG. The SEC is reluctant to take Clemson, Canes, and FSU, because ESPN does not want the ACC insecurity. And ND holds the keys to it all. What is interesting to me is NBC's lack of involvement--since TV is running much of this. Unless they are going to quadruple our deal, we are not going to make it on tradition alone. That is just a fact.
Struggling to see the analogy to Army, who hasn’t been competitive since the 60’s

UCLA Athletics is currently 100 million in debt.

Army? USC?

Please.

As we write, ESPN is trying to craft an arrangement to have ND join the ACC for football. It won't be easy....ND will get more than an equal share (as will other bigger football programs). No details other than that. ESPN does not want ND in the B10 under the FOX umbrella. Not sure where this goes or if NBC is in the mix. Sorry...that is all I have,,,,but this is coming from insiders and not from some media clickbait idiot.

In no way should ND join ANY conference as "just another new member". You are better than that. Not sure if the ACC can make it happen, but I am not sure if the Big10 is really trying.
"ND will never be 'just another member'? This is precisely the kind of hubris that will push ND off the cliff.

Reactions: 4-4-3
Notre Dame is not falling off of any cliff. Right now it is in a fantastic place. But, the life of an independent in the land of mega conferences would present new challenges. And, we are going to need competitive revenue to finance a competitive program. Interesting times.

Notre Dame is not falling off of any cliff. Right now it is in a fantastic place. But, the life of an independent in the land of mega conferences would present new challenges. And, we are going to need competitive revenue to finance a competitive program. Interesting times.
Our apparel deal and tv deal is up in a few years.

Lot of many to be made there

Reactions: melstew
The SEC has already told ND that they are not extending an invite to them and that they should join the BIG. But there are a variety of reasons that the SEC doesn't want ND and that will never happen. So for ND, the options are to remain independent, try to join an ACC that is about to crumble or join the BIG. Difference this time for the BIG is that the BIG will already have a sweet TV deal with or without ND. They don't NEED ND to make it sweet. ND makes it better but it's a damn good deal without ND. And ND now has a lousy TV contract that is well behind almost everybody.

I don't think anyone is trying to ice ND out. The BIG would like to have them and lots of fans, like me, would like to see them join the BIG. I think that if ND continues to exhibit the same bluster, chest-thumping and egotism that has characterized their participation at these proceedings thus far, they could possibly 'ice' themselves out. ND can posture and act like they don't need the money, but the reality is that they are at the meetings because they fear being left on the platform when the train departs

This is not the 1950's where everyone wanted to play ND because of the huge payday. They could walk away from the BIG but it would be at their own expense with tens of millions of dollars being left on the table each year. The BIG is holding most, if not all, of the cards this time.

The real question is that despite the bluster and chest-thumping....does ND think they can really walk away from all of this money? And will they?
The SEC doesn’t want Notre Dame? You are so full of shit.

Reactions: Golson5
I would love to see ND in the BIG and although I doubt they will join, I think it makes some sense. However, anyone worried about ND because they don't join is not thinking it through. The BIG and SEC are in a war. There is some fear that they will try to ice ND out. The problem with this thinking is all ND has to do is to threaten to join the other conference. Even if both try to work together, the threat of joining the ACC or the lowly Big 12 would banish any such thoughts.

I have seen several tweets and sports tv comments that the music may stop, and Notre dame will be without a chair. Notre Dame brings its own chair.
Allow me to extend your concluding metaphor.

ND may have a chair all right – BUT AT WHAT TABLE? The adage doesn’t revolve around having a chair so much as about having A SEAT AT THE TABLE. Literally. It’s the table not the chair that’s central. You can sit in a chair on the banks of the St. Joseph River. But things get done AT THE TABLE.

So then, WHAT TABLE IS ND BRINGING if it doesn’t wish to sit at the one CURRENTLY ON ORDER?

None that I can see that will allow it to compete for an NC if it doesn’t join whatever super-conference structure emerges. What will it do – challenge the NC winner to a duel? With the winner – but only if it’s ND – crowned MYTHICAL NATIONAL CHAMPION?

Or are you suggesting that all of the rest of CFB will simply continue playing the ND EXCEPTIONALISM GAME? Why would it? ND doesn’t have nearly the CRITICAL MASS to challenge the rest of the sport.

If ND disappeared tomorrow, would the SEC shut down? Would USC DROP FOOTBALL in its “grief?” NO. For the sport at large, NOTHING would change.

Besides, isn’t the idea for ND TO BE PART OF IT? THE SPORT, I mean.

I hope ND has an easier time solving its CAKE-AND-EAT-IT DILEMMA than Private Joker.

Pvt. Joker's ND Roots

Allow me to extend your concluding metaphor.

ND may have a chair all right – BUT AT WHAT TABLE? The adage doesn’t revolve around having a chair so much as about having A SEAT AT THE TABLE. Literally. It’s the table not the chair that’s central. You can sit in a chair on the banks of the St. Joseph River. But things get done AT THE TABLE.

So then, WHAT TABLE IS ND BRINGING if it doesn’t wish to sit at the one CURRENTLY ON ORDER?

None that I can see that will allow it to compete for an NC if it doesn’t join whatever super-conference structure emerges. What will it do – challenge the NC winner to a duel? With the winner – but only if it’s ND – crowned MYTHICAL NATIONAL CHAMPION?

Or are you suggesting that all of the rest of CFB will simply continue playing the ND EXCEPTIONALISM GAME? Why would it? ND doesn’t have nearly the CRITICAL MASS to challenge the rest of the sport.

If ND disappeared tomorrow, would the SEC shut down? Would USC DROP FOOTBALL in its “grief?” NO. For the sport at large, NOTHING would change.

Besides, isn’t the idea for ND TO BE PART OF IT? THE SPORT, I mean.

I hope ND has an easier time solving its CAKE-AND-EAT-IT DILEMMA than Private Joker.

Pvt. Joker's ND Roots
Weird

Reactions: NDinNJ
Do you think Disney will pay the ACC even more to keep Fox or of the South?

"ND will never be 'just another member'? This is precisely the kind of hubris that will push ND off the cliff.
Not disagreeing...Just trying to get you to think about a way to get into a conference on your own terms. As of now, the ACC...or the ACC as we know it...may not be the place anyone thought it was. Even if it is currently concluded that no member can leave because of the GOR, that will mean 14 years of insider infighting. Nothing constructive will get done. The sport will move on but the ACC willl be a stagnant pool if change does not happen.

Do you think Disney will pay the ACC even more to keep Fox or of the South?
Honestly I do not know but I think they would and I also think they are working on that right now. So the ACC may get a renegotiated agreement but how much more is hard to guess.

Honestly I do not know but I think they would and I also think they are working on that right now. So the ACC may get a renegotiated agreement but how much more is hard to guess.

There is some talk that ESPN will give more money to ACC teams, but in doing so it will give all the schools an opportunity to leave without penalty as this new agreement cancels the one in place.

You are clueless. There are many more sports than those you mention. The ACC has been a good home for them. The baseball team just went to the CWS. That doesn't happen if we are in the MAC. If not for the ACC affiliation, a lot of the other sports would take a nosedive.
You're another trendy sort and with that language a childish one as well.

ND goes like this...
Football.... no conference needed...

Then all the way down here we have...

Women's basketball....no conference needed. See UCONN.
Hockey...competes in the Big10
Men's Basketball....the move to the ACC really helped them huh. Remember their best years in the ACC were with Big East players. In other words players they recruited while in the Big East.
That move was dumb. Since they've had 101 percent ACC recruits the results have been? Cue the price is right music and then the lost game sad horn.

After this....

We have the following
Baseball ...weather prohibits this. They played 17 games less than Texas. Weather. Christ can't have a home game until middle of March.
Moreover this is your argument why ND needs a conference. Yeah you're a trendy sort considering their Omaha frequency. 3 trips in 65 years. The Baseball team caught lightning in a bottle and made it to Omaha!!!

So yes...Oh my dear lord how dare we never not be in a conference because Baseball got to Omaha three times in 65 years.
Yes yes yes.. the conference will get em' there frequently now. Just you wait and see. WTFE.

Soccer
Fencing
Volleyball
Track
Rowing

Who cares...look at those schedules.

ND doesn't NEED a conference

Still won't move.

DUMB
"Baseball plays Mac teams a lot"

If memory serves me well, did they not win the regular season ACC conference in baseball (yes, they got beat in the semi's in the conference tournament)? Their schedule is not mainly MAC schools

Hello, I'm earth....have we met?

Notre Dame is it's very own brand. They are their own conference.

What's it with this trendy bullshit of OMG, OMG, OMFG ND needs to join a conference. NO. They don't need any conference and unless you were born yesterday ND cherishes it's Independence
I don't buy the BS from some that ND has no leverage - they do. The B1G is in a holding pattern right now waiting on ND.

But to those of you that think that ND can keep telling powerful conferences to take a hike and "we'll do what we want".......get real. Do you think you're still going to be able to schedule your traditional powerful rivals - like USC, Stanford (and others) after they've become part of one of the conferences you keep thumbing your nose at? It's already being mentioned on the USC boards. Your future schedules could be made up of teams that weren't invited to join one of the 2 or probably 3 monster conference when it's all said and done.

And come Playoff selection time ? Right now, you're OK but......

And then there's the mnassive amount of money. I read a report on ESPN that if the B1G adds ND, and a few others that already been mentioned, the payout could reach around $130 million per school by 2025. Seeing the same figures for the SEC after a few more are added.

Go to the ACC boards - Clemson, FSU, Miami - pick one - and they're convinced they'll be part of another conference in the very near future and that the ACC is on life support. The PAC is toast and will probably merge with the LEFTOVER Big 12 teams to form a 3rd league.

I hope ND joins the B1G as I've always been an ND fan as they're right behind Iowa. Plus, your academics line up with the B1G better than any other conference. But if some of you take your blinders off, it should be obvious you'll have no choice but to join a conference - especially for future scheduling. It's just a matter of time

Last edited:
I don't buy the BS from some that ND has no leverage - they do. The B1G is in a holding pattern right now waiting on ND.

But to those of you that think that ND can keep telling powerful conferences to take a hike and "we'll do what we want".......get real. Do you think you're still going to be able to schedule your traditional powerful rivals - like USC, Stanford (and others) after they've become part of one of the conferences you keep thumbing your nose at? It's already being mentioned on the USC boards. Your future schedules could be made up of teams that weren't invited to join one of the 2 or probably 3 monster conference when it's all said and done. And come Playoff selection
time ? Right now, you're OK but......

And then there's the mnassive amount of money. I read a report on ESPN that if the B1G adds ND, and a few others that already been mentioned, the payout could reach around $130 million per school by 2025. Seeing the same figures for the SEC after a few more are added.

Go to the ACC boards - Clemson, FSU, Miami - pick one - and they're convinced they'll be part of another conference in the very near future and that the ACC is on life support. The PAC is toast and will probably merge with the LEFTOVER Big 12 teams to form a 3rd league.

I hope ND joins the B1G as I've always been an ND fan as they're right behind Iowa. But if some of you take your blinders off, it should be obvious you'll have no choice but to join a conference - especially for future scheduling. It's just a matter of time
Wow. If it's being discussed on the USC boards and on the boards of the ACC schools, it must be true.

Reactions: Kelso86
Wow. If it's being discussed on the USC boards and on the boards of the ACC schools, it must be true.
I'm saying that it doesn't take a genius to see what ND is up against. I'm close with an ex co-worker / friend (I'm a retired engineer) who's an ND graduate and he's also resigned to the fact that ND is headed to a conference - and he hates it but he's a realist. Answer one question for me - who will be left for ND to schedule in 2025 or thereabouts ?

I'm saying that it doesn't take a genius to see what ND is up against. I'm close with an ex co-worker / friend (I'm a retired engineer) who's an ND graduate and he's also resigned to the fact that ND is headed to a conference - and he hates it but he's a realist. Answer one question for me - who will be left for ND to schedule in 2025 or thereabouts ?

Don't worry about ND. ND will be just fine.

the 2 super conferences will not be able to exclude other teams.
I thought about this when all the talk was 2 super conferences will be the only path to the championship. If the BIG10 and SEC tried to pull that, lawsuits would be filed against both conferences by the other conferences, and not just the ACC, BIG12, and PAC12, but the AAC, MAC, and any other FBS conference. The SEC and B10 would lose this battle in the courts as it would be considered monopolizing collegiate football. They would be forced to include the other conferences in any playoff. The current system as well the BCS included provisions for both Notre Dame and non P5 conferences the ability to access the bowl/playoff structure. It wasn't that the the P5 conferences were being generous, it's they knew legally they couldn't exclude any FBS schools/conferences from it.

I thought about this when all the talk was 2 super conferences will be the only path to the championship. If the BIG10 and SEC tried to pull that, lawsuits would be filed against both conferences by the other conferences, and not just the ACC, BIG12, and PAC12, but the AAC, MAC, and any other FBS conference. The SEC and B10 would lose this battle in the courts as it would be considered monopolizing collegiate football. They would be forced to include the other conferences in any playoff. The current system as well the BCS included provisions for both Notre Dame and non P5 conferences the ability to access the bowl/playoff structure. It wasn't that the the P5 conferences were being generous, it's they knew legally they couldn't exclude any FBS schools/conferences from it.
I think there will end up being 3 conferences and what prevents the SEC and B1G from having their own championship game ? The other teams and conferences could do - by their own choice - whatever they want. I have a feeling that most would consider the winner of the new SEC-B1G championship game the NC. I'm sure these two mega conferences already have a plan and attorneys in place to combat future issues like you'er describing. As for a lawsuit by ND, the B1G could always come back with "we invited you and you said NO." Gotta believe that would be the end of it

Don't know how true, but I also read on another site (the O-Zone) this morning that ESPN is now trying to end it's contract with the ACC. Question, does the ACC have a TV contract with ESPN ?

Last edited:

I don't think that is how it would be set up. If the Big Ten and SEC band together, they would form a post season tournament where their teams get preference as to invites. An 11-2 SEC team goes before a 10-2 ND or an 11-2 B12 team. It would be an invitational and include almost all the best teams from a given season. The winner doesn't even need to be officially called the National Champion. The press will handle that part of the job. The teams not invited can play in their own tournament or bowls if they so wish.

2021 pre bowl results in 2026

1) Bama (bye)
2) Michigan (bye)
3) Georgia (bye)
4) Baylor (bye)
5) Cincy
6) ND
7) Ohio State
8) Ole Miss
9) Sparty
10) Utah
11) Oklahoma
12) Iowa

"Baseball plays Mac teams a lot"

If memory serves me well, did they not win the regular season ACC conference in baseball (yes, they got beat in the semi's in the conference tournament)? Their schedule is not mainly MAC schools
Two things...
#1 I didn't say they ONLY play MAC teams .. I said they played MAC teams quite a bit.

#2 I don't follow baseball much so I apologize about that statement pertaining to this year. There wasn't much MAC presence this year.
Looking back I could've sworn they had a decent amount of MAC schools on the schedule

2018/19 (really the last time I paid attention to that sport) 8 games against MAC teams but who
cares about that because my point was Baseball doesn't need the ACC to survive. Take a look at how many non ACC games they had present year...
They played 51 games prior to the ACC tournament. 21 of those were against non ACC teams. This particular year they have several games against Big10/MAC and several others not in either of those conferences. Delaware, ELON, Valpo, some x2 or 3

Again the ultimate point is they don't NEED a conference to play baseball. Why? Because baseball is a sport than can play many games and just like ND every other team needs games.
They certainly don't need a conference in baseball because they made Omaha for the third time in 65 years.

You are obviously not a lawyer.
You're saying that the B1G-SEC doesn't have the right to set up their own championship at the end without labeling it the NC - although most would consider it the true NC? Don't many conferences already have inter-conference tournaments in basketball?

. Answer one question for me - who will be left for ND to schedule in 2025 or thereabouts ?
The same teams they always had give ir take.

Do you think all of a sudden because conferences now have 20 teams or something like that they won't play other games? No...they've already begun talking about having crossover ganes or rather REAL non conference games. More of them.

Matter of fact I'd bet you a wooden nickel it will actually be easier for ND to get games.

You can't have exclusive b10vsb10 and SEC vs SEC games and that's it.

That ship will be boring really quick and it's not yet even set sail.

Reactions: NDinNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT