ADVERTISEMENT

What many in the Media are missing about Notre Dame

beachcardinal

All Star
Jan 30, 2006
I would love to see ND in the BIG and although I doubt they will join, I think it makes some sense. However, anyone worried about ND because they don't join is not thinking it through. The BIG and SEC are in a war. There is some fear that they will try to ice ND out. The problem with this thinking is all ND has to do is to threaten to join the other conference. Even if both try to work together, the threat of joining the ACC or the lowly Big 12 would banish any such thoughts.

I have seen several tweets and sports tv comments that the music may stop, and Notre dame will be without a chair. Notre Dame brings its own chair.

Notre Dame has no leverage. They can survive (for now) being an independent but I think that's getting increasingly harder. I fully expect them to decline this new attempt from the Big 10 and I'm sure Notre Dame will continue to do what they do. But at some point their hand is going to be forced. Rutgers and Illinois and in state schools Indiana and Purdue are about to be making 3x what Notre Dame makes in tv revenue. At some point there will be a squeeze.

And laugh out loud at ND threatening to join the SEC.

Notre Dame has no leverage. They can survive (for now) being an independent but I think that's getting increasingly harder. I fully expect them to decline this new attempt from the Big 10 and I'm sure Notre Dame will continue to do what they do. But at some point their hand is going to be forced. Rutgers and Illinois and in state schools Indiana and Purdue are about to be making 3x what Notre Dame makes in tv revenue. At some point there will be a squeeze.

It is very surprising that so many conferences are willing to throw tens of missions of dollars at a school with no leverage. Are you sure you aren't thinking of Oregon?

It is very surprising that so many conferences are willing to throw tens of missions of dollars at a school with no leverage. Are you sure you aren't thinking of Oregon?
Oregon doesn't offer what Notre Dame offers, hence why the Big 10 isn't expanding until they get an answer from ND (likely a no). Do you really think ND can and should keep up being an independent in today's age of college football where 32 teams are about to be making 3x the TV revenue that they do?

• Haha
Reactions: pem55

Stopped reading at Notre Dame has no leverage.

Hahaha. You're living up to the crowd that says OSU fans are morons

Congrats

Oregon doesn't offer what Notre Dame offers, hence why the Big 10 isn't expanding until they get an answer from ND (likely a no). Do you really think ND can and should keep up being an independent in today's age of college football where 32 teams are about to be making 3x the TV revenue that they do?
Yes and yes

Why are you so worried about Notre Dame and what they do

I would love to see ND in the BIG and although I doubt they will join, I think it makes some sense. However, anyone worried about ND because they don't join is not thinking it through. The BIG and SEC are in a war. There is some fear that they will try to ice ND out. The problem with this thinking is all ND has to do is to threaten to join the other conference. Even if both try to work together, the threat of joining the ACC or the lowly Big 12 would banish any such thoughts.

I have seen several tweets and sports tv comments that the music may stop, and Notre dame will be without a chair. Notre Dame brings its own chair.
The SEC has already told ND that they are not extending an invite to them and that they should join the BIG. But there are a variety of reasons that the SEC doesn't want ND and that will never happen. So for ND, the options are to remain independent, try to join an ACC that is about to crumble or join the BIG. Difference this time for the BIG is that the BIG will already have a sweet TV deal with or without ND. They don't NEED ND to make it sweet. ND makes it better but it's a damn good deal without ND. And ND now has a lousy TV contract that is well behind almost everybody.

I don't think anyone is trying to ice ND out. The BIG would like to have them and lots of fans, like me, would like to see them join the BIG. I think that if ND continues to exhibit the same bluster, chest-thumping and egotism that has characterized their participation at these proceedings thus far, they could possibly 'ice' themselves out. ND can posture and act like they don't need the money, but the reality is that they are at the meetings because they fear being left on the platform when the train departs

This is not the 1950's where everyone wanted to play ND because of the huge payday. They could walk away from the BIG but it would be at their own expense with tens of millions of dollars being left on the table each year. The BIG is holding most, if not all, of the cards this time.

The real question is that despite the bluster and chest-thumping....does ND think they can really walk away from all of this money? And will they?

• Haha
Reactions: 4-4-3 and pem55
The SEC has already told ND that they are not extending an invite to them and that they should join the BIG. But there are a variety of reasons that the SEC doesn't want ND and that will never happen. So for ND, the options are to remain independent, try to join an ACC that is about to crumble or join the BIG. Difference this time for the BIG is that the BIG will already have a sweet TV deal with or without ND. They don't NEED ND to make it sweet. ND makes it better but it's a damn good deal without ND. And ND now has a lousy TV contract that is well behind almost everybody.

I don't think anyone is trying to ice ND out. The BIG would like to have them and lots of fans, like me, would like to see them join the BIG. I think that if ND continues to exhibit the same bluster, chest-thumping and egotism that has characterized their participation at these proceedings thus far, they could possibly 'ice' themselves out. ND can posture and act like they don't need the money, but the reality is that they are at the meetings because they fear being left on the platform when the train departs

This is not the 1950's where everyone wanted to play ND because of the huge payday. They could walk away from the BIG but it would be at their own expense with tens of millions of dollars being left on the table each year. The BIG is holding most, if not all, of the cards this time.

The real question is that despite the bluster and chest-thumping....does ND think they can really walk away from all of this money? And will they?
Where do these idiots come from

As we write, ESPN is trying to craft an arrangement to have ND join the ACC for football. It won't be easy....ND will get more than an equal share (as will other bigger football programs). No details other than that. ESPN does not want ND in the B10 under the FOX umbrella. Not sure where this goes or if NBC is in the mix. Sorry...that is all I have,,,,but this is coming from insiders and not from some media clickbait idiot.

In no way should ND join ANY conference as "just another new member". You are better than that. Not sure if the ACC can make it happen, but I am not sure if the Big10 is really trying.

What bluster, chest-thumping and egotism are you talking about? You are not privy to any of the discussions or negotiations. You are making this up out of thin air. Total jackassery.

Stopped reading at Notre Dame has no leverage.

Hahaha. You're living up to the crowd that says OSU fans are morons

Congrats
I'm the moron but you stopped reading because you're sensitive. You should try leaving your bubble and checking out what the rest of college football thinks, you might learn something

Anyone who says Notre Dame has no leverage is obviously clueless. Why keep reading nonsense
Because they don't have any leverage. They're stuck in a stupid agreement with the ACC for 14 more years and they make a fraction of the money that Rutgers does. The Big 10 and SEC are not reliant at all on ND joining, it would just make their situations better. And sure ND doesn't have to join any conference, but they're putting themselves at a big disadvantage doing so.

Reactions: 4-4-3
Because they don't have any leverage. They're stuck in a stupid agreement with the ACC for 14 more years and they make a fraction of the money that Rutgers does. The Big 10 and SEC are not reliant at all on ND joining, it would just make their situations better. And sure ND doesn't have to join any conference, but they're putting themselves at a big disadvantage doing so.

Why are you here? ND will be just fine. ND has multiple avenues to pursue, whether you choose to admit it or not. Go push your crap somewhere else.

No one has more leverage than ND. When you can prove that you make decisions where money is not the deciding factor, the other parties become off balance. No one knows if the ACC GOR is an issue for ND because ND never transferred its football rights to the ACC. And get this...ESPN is concerned that if ND finds a way to break the ACC GOR because the Irish never transferred its football rights, it may still impact the enforcement of the GOR for the other members. All hell can break loose and ESPN won't be able to control it. Maybe. That's not a legal conclusion. It's just a risk factor. In any event, these kinds of GOR's have never been tested.

Reactions: BGI User 756
No one has more leverage than ND. When you can prove that you make decisions where money is not the deciding factor, the other parties become off balance. No one knows if the ACC GOR is an issue for ND because ND never transferred its football rights to the ACC. And get this...ESPN is concerned that if ND finds a way to break the ACC GOR because the Irish never transferred its football rights, it may still impact the enforcement of the GOR for the other members. All hell can break loose and ESPN won't be able to control it. Maybe. That's not a legal conclusion. It's just a risk factor. In any event, these kinds of GOR's have never been tested.

In the past week there was an article on The Athletic website discussing how the conference GORs might be legally challenged, should the machinations with conference realignments come to that. The article linked to copies of several of the conference GORs, including the ACC GOR. I was absolutely astonished at how sparse the document is. I expected to see something that was at least 50 pages long. Instead, the meat of the GOR covers all of 3-1/2 pages. That is absolute fodder for the lawyers. The other amazing thing about the GORs is that none of them (at least none of them discussed in the article) have venue or choice of law provisions. So, just where do you sue? And when you figure that out, what law applies to determine the outcome of the suit? Will it be the law of Florida? South Carolina? Kentucky? Contract law can vary considerably from state to state. The lawyers who drafted the GORs were either hopelessly incompetent, or they were absolutely brilliant in making them so incredibly vague that any party choosing to litigate a dispute arising under the GOR will be tied up in court for many years.

In the past week there was an article on The Athletic website discussing how the conference GORs might be legally challenged, should the machinations with conference realignments come to that. The article linked to copies of several of the conference GORs, including the ACC GOR. I was absolutely astonished at how sparse the document is. I expected to see something that was at least 50 pages long. Instead, the meat of the GOR covers all of 3-1/2 pages. That is absolute fodder for the lawyers. The other amazing thing about the GORs is that none of them (at least none of them discussed in the article) have venue or choice of law provisions. So, just where do you sue? And when you figure that out, what law applies to determine the outcome of the suit? Will it be the law of Florida? South Carolina? Kentucky? Contract law can vary considerably from state to state. The lawyers who drafted the GORs were either hopelessly incompetent, or they were absolutely brilliant in making them so incredibly vague that any party choosing to litigate a dispute arising under the GOR will be tied up in court for many years.

Have not seen the contracts, but if the attorneys were worth their salt, the contracts would contain a provision stating what state's law would govern. Pretty standard.

Have not seen the contracts, but if the attorneys were worth their salt, the contracts would contain a provision stating what state's law would govern. Pretty standard.

You are absolutely right, that is pretty standard stuff for most business contracts. Not only do they typically contain a choice of law provision, they almost always have a venue clause that dictates where a lawsuit may be filed. And it is increasingly common for business agreements to have arbitration or alternative dispute resolution provisions, requiring that any disputes arising under the agreement be arbitrated instead of litigated. The ACC GOR has none of that. I find that astonishing.

Reactions: 4-4-3 and NDSMC78
You are absolutely right, that is pretty standard stuff for most business contracts. Not only do they typically contain a choice of law provision, they almost always have a venue clause that dictates where a lawsuit may be filed. And it is increasingly common for business agreements to have arbitration or alternative dispute resolution provisions, requiring that any disputes arising under the agreement be arbitrated instead of litigated. The ACC GOR has none of that. I find that astonishing.

I agree. That is astounding. As stated, I have not seen the contracts. Almost seems designed that any party would have arguments to avoid one or more of the provisions.

Reactions: Kelso86
I think a significant consideration in all this is networks looking for "product". If ESPN is left without a competitive product, it's in their interests to create one. Their current best option is to give the ACC serious bucks to make the league more competitive and potentially pull in more top tier programs. Looking at it from a league perspective is short sighted, in my view. The money comes from the networks.

Very good points IMO

You no not the power of ND. You are dead wrong. People like you and tv commentators were saying it’s a done deal that ND joins Big. Can’t survive. Wants the money. Makes sense. Etc

well reality check. ND is independent for a bunch of reasons. And the power of ND is why everyone wants them.

we don’t need a conference now or likely ever. 1- We will get a new tv deal for more than a Big school is getting 2- we will leave the ACC and schedule with anyone we want with strong representation of Big, ACC and Big12 teams Watch n see.

the 2 super conferences will not be able to exclude other teams.

what have you heard from ND about all this? Crickets. Unphased.

Why so upset that ND can be independent?

Envy is a bad look on you

Reactions: NDSMC78
You just doubled down on being idiotic. ND has all the leverage in the world because they have proven they can survive without a conference. And they don’t need “LIV golf money to say they want to provide for their families”…lol

whatever station you watch to get your perspective, you should stop.

Not true at all.

I'm the moron but you stopped reading because you're sensitive. You should try leaving your bubble and checking out what the rest of college football thinks, you might learn something
Since both of these individuals seem to know what's best for Notre Dame Football, these two need to get together, have lunch, and map the future in South Bend.

There is no consideration noted in the ACC GOR. A school only owns the media rights to its home games. The GOR has to be unanimous to be enforceable. Therefore, the “thinking” is, that the “consideration” in the contract is the quid pro quo. Everybody transfers its media rights….therefore your ACC away games are protected because every ACC member put their home game rights into the pot. But ND didn’t do that.

The ESPN ACC TV contract is noted several times in the GOR, but ESPN did not sign the GOR. The ND-NBC contract is not noted and need not be since ND was not transferring its home game media rights to the ACC. ND is “obligated” to join the ACC if it joins any conference before 2036. But what is the penalty for ND breaking the deal and joining another conference? How can there be a penalty if ND cancels its home games with the ACC since the rights were never transferred, and how do you calculate a penalty for ND cancelling its away games at the ACC if there is no quid pro quo? Heather Dinich just basically reports that ND football is not part of the GOR, but she never gave an explanation. What I writing is from an update where I read that ESPN has this urgent need to get ND in the ACC. If ND joins another conference and doesn’t pay a substantial fee, it basically goes against what many people “assumed” (whether that assumption was valid or not) what was in that GOR. And that might impact every other ACC member that signed that GOR. I have no idea how much legs this analysis has…just reporting updates as I see them.

The ACC GOR that includes ND was signed in 2013 five days after ND signed and renewed its NBC TV contract from 2015 to 2025.

I've been following the recent discussions regarding ND. While I've read most of the articles & opinions in the news I must have missed some for sure. Can you please send me the link where SEC said "they weren't sending ND an invite" I would love to read it. Thanks in advance.

I've been following the recent discussions regarding ND. While I've read most of the articles & opinions in the news I must have missed some for sure. Can you please send me the link where SEC said "they weren't sending ND an invite" I would love to read it. Thanks in advance.
The guy you are questioning is clearly spouting his uneducated opinion and asserting it as fact. Have a couple in this thread

Reactions: Golson5
You say this “ don't think anyone is trying to ice ND out. The BIG would like to have them and lots of fans, like me, would like to see them join the BIG. I think that if ND continues to exhibit the same bluster, chest-thumping and egotism that has characterized their participation at these proceedings thus far, they could possibly 'ice' themselves out. ND can posture and act like they don't need the money, but the reality is that they are at the meetings because they fear being left on the platform when the train departs” and call yourself an ND supporter? Your lack of knowledge about ND is appalling

please cite one source that says ND is chest thumping or being egotistical.

you can’t. You made that up because you really are a Big fan who hates ND. Joke

we have every right to be what we are n have always been - independent and different. And the fact that you don’t like it gives us enormous pleasure because it exposes how petty n envious you are

"Notre Dame has no leverage"

of all the dumb comments that have been made (and there have been plenty) -- that by far, is probably the most stupid I have heard --

"The Big 10 and SEC are not reliant at all on ND joining, it would just make their situations better. And sure ND doesn't have to join any conference, but they're putting themselves at a big disadvantage doing so."

Trust me -- ND has much more leverage than you can imagine -- the SEC won't push ND for fear they will simply join the B10 - and the same in reverse -- the B10 won't push ND for fear they will simply join the SEC (though, not a fit for ND). Neither "big" conference will make a move and ND not have a presence in this when all is said and done.

Last edited:
There is no consideration noted in the ACC GOR. A school only owns the media rights to its home games. The GOR has to be unanimous to be enforceable. Therefore, the “thinking” is, that the “consideration” in the contract is the quid pro quo. Everybody transfers its media rights….therefore your ACC away games are protected because every ACC member put their home game rights into the pot. But ND didn’t do that.

The ESPN ACC TV contract is noted several times in the GOR, but ESPN did not sign the GOR. The ND-NBC contract is not noted and need not be since ND was not transferring its home game media rights to the ACC. ND is “obligated” to join the ACC if it joins any conference before 2036. But what is the penalty for ND breaking the deal and joining another conference? How can there be a penalty if ND cancels its home games with the ACC since the rights were never transferred, and how do you calculate a penalty for ND cancelling its away games at the ACC if there is no quid pro quo? Heather Dinich just basically reports that ND football is not part of the GOR, but she never gave an explanation. What I writing is from an update where I read that ESPN has this urgent need to get ND in the ACC. If ND joins another conference and doesn’t pay a substantial fee, it basically goes against what many people “assumed” (whether that assumption was valid or not) what was in that GOR. And that might impact every other ACC member that signed that GOR. I have no idea how much legs this analysis has…just reporting updates as I see them.

The ACC GOR that includes ND was signed in 2013 five days after ND signed and renewed its NBC TV contract from 2015 to 2025.
One is that it is a standard breach of contract with a big exit fee being damages. another is that the ACC still holds ND's media rights for home basketball and a few other sports.

Finally ND is actually fairly risk averse about her public image. 'She' would not like being sued for breaking her word when said word was actually in writing. ND would not move unless enough schools had decided to cancel the ACC altogether.

ND offers alot - no doubt. But I think many are selling Oregon short with their Nike money. Uncle Phil basically gives that school whatever they ask for and if you doubt that, check out their athletic facilities. He just came out and said he wants Oregon in the B1G. Wanna bet they get in? Plus, Portland has around a population of 650,000 (city) and 2.5 million metro - that's quite a few TV sets

ND offers alot - no doubt. But I think many are selling Oregon short with their Nike money. Uncle Phil basically gives that school whatever they ask for and if you doubt that, check out their athletic facilities. He just came out and said he wants Oregon in the B1G. Wanna bet they get in? Plus, Portland has around a population of 650,000 (city) and 2.5 million metro - that's quite a few TV sets
Why would the BIG care if Phil gives Oregon money unless they get a cut?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT