ADVERTISEMENT

Updated. 6 ND players arrested

Was there a link that came out stating it was unregistered ? Or just being illegally transported ?

Just stop with the enlightened characterization issues. You are no more in touch than anyone else. As a long time legal "permit to carry" guy in Indiana, it is offensive to see this going on with an unregistered handgun. It''s dangerous. It's stupid. It's criminal. I thought many in this country want handguns off the street and here you are concerned about characterizations. Not the danger of a handgun in the possession of minors who are high, I mean smoking weed to heal their bruises. If the gun was registered to any of these players then the police would have known immediately who owned it. In Indiana, you cannot have a gun outside of your home without a permit to carry. I will take a giant leap and say the gun is not registered and no one in the car had a legal permit to carry. And, even if they did, ND does not allow guns on their property by anyone for any reason. Expulsion is the punishment for that little dittie.

in Texas for example just because I don't have a license for a gun doesn't mean I can't own it

Interesting. I think TX/IN are fairly similar in their gun laws, and completely different from where I am. I just assume that if you have a gun it would need to be registered and licensed to you in order to be legal.

Nobody ever died from smoking pot. But loaded guns, alcohol, and tobacco? There's a fairly long list of dead.

Again, all 5 were in jail for misdemeanor mj possession, not for carrying a loaded gun. To me that's crazy.

Last edited:
Just stop with the enlightened characterization issues. You are no more in touch than anyone else. As a long time legal "permit to carry" guy in Indiana, it is offensive to see this going on with an unregistered handgun. It''s dangerous. It's stupid. It's criminal. I thought many in this country want handguns off the street and here you are concerned about characterizations. Not the danger of a handgun in the possession of minors who are high, I mean smoking weed to heal their bruises. If the gun was registered to any of these players then the police would have known immediately who owned it. In Indiana, you cannot have a gun outside of your home without a permit to carry. I will take a giant leap and say the gun is not registered and no one in the car had a legal permit to carry. And, even if they did, ND does not allow guns on their property by anyone for any reason. Expulsion is the punishment for that little dittie.

As a legal carry guy in Indiana I just wanted to know to if it was an unlic. firearm, or just being illegally transported.

Already knew they weren't allowed on campus. But all of us are operating on like 60% of the facts. So I was curious if that one had been released or not.

Well, if it was licensed, then the police would know who was the owner, but, apparently, they didn't at the time of the arrest. That detail could have been checked out almost immediately. You are exactly right, we don't know the facts and are only assuming what transpired, including yours truly. Eric Hansen said on the show today that three were initially charged with the gun violation, so, if true, that tells me the gun was not registered and no one had a permit to carry. That may get straightened out who owned the gun and where it came from after a little wheeling and dealing with authorities. I hope the gun doesn't come up stolen.

Like many others have suggested it could have been as simple as the gun was in the backseat and gun charges were given to every one in the back seat until someone fessed to ownership of the gun. All of our guesses is that means it was Max's since he was the one released. And he might have purchased it legally since he is over the age of 18. However if he didn't have his CC and was illegally transporting it, it is what it is.

Will be interested in seeing how the weed and gun charges go though. That could either plea down or go bad for him.

Still lots of details to come out. As well as having to find out the happenings of Coney and others.

Can you site a law or ordnance that updates this?

My understanding was that in Indiana just the transport of it rather 'medical' or not was illegal. If you have more correct information share it. I would honestly like to know.

Marijuana is illegal in Indiana. It is a scheduled drug. Possession is enough, possession with intent to distribute is an enhancement that can be based on weight or dealing paraphernalia like scales, baggies, or actions like selling it. A state senator proposed a medical marijuana bill back in January, but it crashed and burned (no pun intended.)

Google the terms marijuana and Indiana code if you want some further information, there is a lot of information out there on defense web sites. If you're interested in learning about the purported constitutional overtones, NORML has some state specific cites. I don't touch the stuff nor do I advocate for its use, but the arguments for and against are interesting.

Marijuana is illegal in Indiana. It is a scheduled drug. Possession is enough, possession with intent to distribute is an enhancement that can be based on weight or dealing paraphernalia like scales, baggies, or actions like selling it. A state senator proposed a medical marijuana bill back in January, but it crashed and burned (no pun intended.)

Google the terms marijuana and Indiana code if you want some further information, there is a lot of information out there on defense web sites. If you're interested in learning about the purported constitutional overtones, NORML has some state specific cites. I don't touch the stuff nor do I advocate for its use, but the arguments for and against are interesting.

That was my whole point. I had looked it up before I posted. But thought maybe with your comment I had missed something. I mean Indiana refuses to sell beer on a Sunday. Can't imagine they would allow any form of weed.

That was my whole point. I had looked it up before I posted. But thought maybe with your comment I had missed something. I mean Indiana refuses to sell beer on a Sunday. Can't imagine they would allow any form of weed.

Yet. But, the reason they don't sell beer on Sundays isn't solely moralistic.

There's room for confusion. Your earlier post touched on the idea of taking weed from a state that allows medical marijuana into a state that doesn't, which can implicate federal trafficking laws in some circumstances and state possession laws in others. I'm not sure what you did wrong by trying to discuss it.

wouldn't you need prescription? maybe the guys had a prescription and were just going to get it filled; and the pharmacist tried to smuggle a gun across the state line by hiding it in their bag!

it could happen!

In Indiana you can't sell alcohol or cars on Sunday's. Two old blue laws that are unlikely to change because car salesman and liquor store owners like their Sunday's off.

wouldn't you need prescription? maybe the guys had a prescription and were just going to get it filled; and the pharmacist tried to smuggle a gun across the state line by hiding it in their bag!

it could happen!

If you're responding to me Perse, I wasn't suggesting there would be room for confusion among the players. Prescription or no prescription, weed's illegal in Indiana. The players weren't confused, and I've read nothing to suggest any of them have claimed such a thing. I offer no excuses for them. Personally I'm concerned that the situation could be more serious than many, but we don't have enough facts to do anything other than speculate. And I'm loathe to discuss that sort of thing because we have few posters with high post counts who feel a need to treat every discussion as an opportunity to further their personal agenda, whether it be anti-Kelly / anti-ND values / or an anti-player agenda. Its the same sort of thing that keeps me from discussing any concerns about Kelly. You fear critical comments are silenced by sunshine pumpers, but for me its the over the top critics that make me want to keep my critical comments to myself.

That said, perhaps unclearly, I was responding to Irishblooded's reference to the transportation of weed being illegal in an earlier post. In some instances, transporting "medical" marijuana across state lines is considered "trafficking" under Federal law - even from one medical marijuana state to another. For whatever reason, Irishblooded's comment about the transportation being illegal seemed to spark a strong reaction from Walruzz ("You talk out your ass a lot."). But given the context, it seemed a reasonable comment in an attempt to engage in genuine discussion.

Funny, see Chicago for details on how well the gun law is working.

The murder rate in Chicago is ridiculous but the guns are not coming from Illinois. They are imported in from Indiana, Wisconsin, and Michigan through straw purchases. Many are stolen. If you are caught without an Illinois license to carry, you are going to jail. No excuses. Illinois does not respect permits from any other state.

Funny, see Chicago for details on how well the gun law is working.

The "gun law" you're probably referring to was struck down by the US Supreme Court in 2010. Like the rest of the state, its legal to conceal-carry in Chicago with a permit. The City has also withdrawn its gun registry. If you're carrying anywhere in the state without a permit you'll get arrested as Toby just said, but the sentences for unlawful possession of a gun in Chicago have historically been less than a third of what's handed down in New York and L.A.

I'm not saying they'd make a difference and I'm not looking for a handgun debate on a football message board, but Chicago really doesn't have the tough gun laws it used to.

Last edited:
If you're responding to me Perse, I wasn't suggesting there would be room for confusion among the players. Prescription or no prescription, weed's illegal in Indiana. The players weren't confused, and I've read nothing to suggest any of them have claimed such a thing. I offer no excuses for them. Personally I'm concerned that the situation could be more serious than many, but we don't have enough facts to do anything other than speculate. And I'm loathe to discuss that sort of thing because we have few posters with high post counts who feel a need to treat every discussion as an opportunity to further their personal agenda, whether it be anti-Kelly / anti-ND values / or an anti-player agenda. Its the same sort of thing that keeps me from discussing any concerns about Kelly. You fear critical comments are silenced by sunshine pumpers, but for me its the over the top critics that make me want to keep my critical comments to myself.

That said, perhaps unclearly, I was responding to Irishblooded's reference to the transportation of weed being illegal in an earlier post. In some instances, transporting "medical" marijuana across state lines is considered "trafficking" under Federal law - even from one medical marijuana state to another. For whatever reason, Irishblooded's comment about the transportation being illegal seemed to spark a strong reaction from Walruzz ("You talk out your ass a lot."). But given the context, it seemed a reasonable comment in an attempt to engage in genuine discussion.

I have a question. From doing some research it seems that a felony 6 can be pleaded down to a misdemeanor in Hoosierland, is this correct?

I have a question. From doing some research it seems that a felony 6 can be pleaded down to a misdemeanor in Hoosierland, is this correct?

To be honest, I'm not sure. I'm a civil attorney and the Indiana Criminal Code was amended in 2014. So you cannot rely on anything I say, and I'm not advising you with anything I'm about to say. Generally, level 6 felony charges are eligible to receive misdemeanor treatment through a plea agreement or court sentencing, but I think there may be a limitation that disallows such reduced pleas for felony charges involving violence - like say battery resulting in moderate injury - or sexual assault.

That said, I've got great people I can refer you to if you have a need. I suggest removing all piercings, covering all tattoos, and dressing like you're going to your grandma's funeral when you go to court. Good luck. ;)

Thanks, I was just curious if Butler's felony counts could be pleaded down.

No tats, do have pierced ears but have always wanted a belly ring. :D

.........and have had only one traffic violation and that was years ago. (knock on wood)

I sincerely apologize for my remark. I did not intend to go on the offensive against Irishblooded, and without going into great detail as to my intent, I do not have a negative opinion of Irishblooded. The "pill form" thread is a legitimate question, and deserved a more meritorious answer.

I won't go into a legal rant, but the first tenant of the legal practice should be: 'never take anything for granted.' (I'm positive I just used improper punctuation.....)

To be honest, I'm not sure. I'm a civil attorney and the Indiana Criminal Code was amended in 2014. So you cannot rely on anything I say, and I'm not advising you with anything I'm about to say. Generally, level 6 felony charges are eligible to receive misdemeanor treatment through a plea agreement or court sentencing, but I think there may be a limitation that disallows such reduced pleas for felony charges involving violence - like say battery resulting in moderate injury - or sexual assault.

That said, I've got great people I can refer you to if you have a need. I suggest removing all piercings, covering all tattoos, and dressing like you're going to your grandma's funeral when you go to court. Good luck. ;)

Any case can be resolved to any level to which the parties agree. (If it gets past the judge.)

However, Indiana does offer Alternate Misdemeanor Sentencing on some felonies (too many variables to discuss them all - some are jurisdictional policies and some are statutory considerations.) AMS can occur as an agreement between the parties either "up front", or at the end of a sentence. AMS can be agreed upon by the parties, but it is also available to the court as a sentencing option in circumstances where the court maintains discretion independent of the parties agreements.

Additionally, the state bears the burden of proving enhancements that make misdemeanors felonies. If they prove parts of a count but not the enhancements, you could go to trial and be convicted of a lesser included offense. For example, battery is a lesser of battery causing an injury, which is a lesser of battery causing a serious bodily injury.

So, having just touched on a few options, there are a myriad of ways a felony would become a misdemeanor at the resolution of a criminal matter. Diversion is also an option in some cases, but that is largely a policy matter for each office.

Would anybody like me to continue boring you? I can discuss the Magna Carta, livery of seisin or trespass de bonis aspartatis.....

Would anybody like me to continue boring you? I can discuss the Magna Carta, livery of seisin or trespass de bonis aspartatis.....

Nah, I'm good. I haven't fought with or been tazed by a cop lately. Good explanation though.

As far at the other thing, the internet kinda sucks for picking up people's tone - I know because by nature I'm a smartass. I wasn't looking to make a big deal, just couldn't tell if that other thing was winding up or winding down.

Nah, I'm good. I haven't fought with or been tazed by a cop lately. Good explanation though.

As far at the other thing, the internet kinda sucks for picking up people's tone - I know because by nature I'm a smartass. I wasn't looking to make a big deal, just couldn't tell if that other thing was winding up or winding down.

No, I'm 100% guilty of being a smartass, my tone was rude. No lesser included here....

Reactions: IRISHJD98
I had Blakey for his RICO class, and was lucky enough to see his JFK presentation - would have been '97. Whitt married my wife and I.

I had Blakey for his RICO class, and was lucky enough to see his JFK presentation - would have been '97. Whitt married my wife and I.

We were sitting in the same room on that JFK presentation then. That's pretty cool about Father Whitt. He had quite a presence when he wore his white robe to class.

'97 was a pretty disappointing football season.

Ohio 1980, please note. Here again is a Cane fan with comments that non-Cane fans find annoying.

Cane, don't you think you're risking karma by chastising Irish fans? Unfortunately, there's a lot of arrests of college football players these days, I sure don't comment on rival sites about their program's problems. #don'tbethatblowhard

Wow!!!! You called that one. Miami just lost two starters.

Reactions: irishalice
How's your Saturday going today? Enjoying karma after two of your defensive starters just got bounced for violating NCAA rules, big mouth?

My day went ok Irish. We have 3 great freshmen who filled in nicely @ LB. Say, did you enjoy the game with Texas last nite? I sure did. Look forward to meeting up with you later in the year.

My day went ok Irish. We have 3 great freshmen who filled in nicely @ LB. Say, did you enjoy the game with Texas last nite? I sure did. Look forward to meeting up with you later in the year.

Back again, I see. Why wasn't I surprised not to see you here after your two players got bounced, coward? Nope, you're not obsessed with ND. Not at all.

Gloating over your victory over FAMU? How pathetic can you be.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT