ADVERTISEMENT

Top recruits sound off on BK

Funny thing about these kids is that they say this knowing ND cant respond. Would be really easy for someone at OSU and Washington that ND competes with to say hey guys put this out there .

Just part of the game.
They would have gone to ND if only Brian Kelly had texted them a few x. That's what it all came down to. A few Hey what's up texts from the HC would have changed everything. They need to feel the " love" . We need a more engaged HC who sends our top 25 recruit prospects good night sweet dream texts to the recruits at least every night. Kelly needs to get on What's App while he s at it. The 40 year decision comes down to good texting. Lol

For all of you defending BK and bashing these kids. This quote at the end is telling. It says all we need to know why ND is stuck in the 11-15 recruiting rankings and getting their doors blown off against top 10 competition.

“Tom Lemming, a recruiting analyst for CBS Sports Network, named eight head coaches who take the recruiting lead on their coaching staffs when pursuing the nation’s top players: LSU’s Ed Orgeron, Texas A&M’s Jimbo Fisher, Clemson’s Dabo Swinney, Georgia’s Kirby Smart, Alabama’s Nick Saban, Oklahoma’s Lincoln Riley, Oregon’s Mario Cristobal and Day.
Six of those eight programs comprise the top six recruiting classes nationally in 2020. All eight rank higher than Notre Dame.”

FACT!
Knock it off with the facts. And you apologize right now for not blindly supporting Kelly’s every move!

I don't want the kid who makes a lifetime decision based on a good night text. He won't succeed here.

Lincoln Riley ? Has an annual WTF game every year and gets boat raced in Playoffs.

Jimbo ? Left FSU a pile of crap and only won his MNC because he was willing to play a criminal at QB. No thanks

Kirby Smart ? Solid coach----has every bell , button and whistle known to mankind and hasn't won it. Fromm regressed this season and his Fake Punt call in SEC title game last year was the worst call I ever saw in a big spot.

Ryan Day ? We'll see-----was great with Urban's players but let's see where he stands after 3 years.

Ed Orgeron He's a cheat----nuf said-----media loves the guy now because they're tired of covering Saban but the guy got a school put on Probation.

Mario Cristobal Are you kidding me ? Guy has had 1 good team----please. Got fired at FIU.

Saban and Dabo-----sensational coaches----not coming here

Reactions: DublinND
I don't want the kid who makes a lifetime decision based on a good night text. He won't succeed here.

Lincoln Riley ? Has an annual WTF game every year and gets boat raced in Playoffs.

Jimbo ? Left FSU a pile of crap and only won his MNC because he was willing to play a criminal at QB. No thanks

Kirby Smart ? Solid coach----has every bell , button and whistle known to mankind and hasn't won it. Fromm regressed this season and his Fake Punt call in SEC title game last year was the worst call I ever saw in a big spot.

Ryan Day ? We'll see-----was great with Urban's players but let's see where he stands after 3 years.

Ed Orgeron He's a cheat----nuf said-----media loves the guy now because they're tired of covering Saban but the guy got a school put on Probation.

Mario Cristobal Are you kidding me ? Guy has had 1 good team----please. Got fired at FIU.

Right, why should kelly make the extra effort to get the cream of the crop kids.

yawn, another couple of kids with their feelings hurt. hard to truly recruit these days without having to be a professional ass kisser to a lot of these kids. have to put it in perspective. lots of kids have no problem with the way ND recruited them.

"Professional ass kissing" even happens in the league where they play to pay. The yankees wined and dined to land Cole their top off season target. It wasn't just the cash. Angels got plenty of ca$h. You are correct that it's hard to take some posters seriously because they have such a disdain for BK. It's like watching particular cable news outlets. What's real and whats just more hate. The one thing from that article that I did find troubling. That recruiting guru naming the best coaches in the land seem to be the team leaders in recruiting.

Kids who want there "backsides" kissed aren't going to cut it at ND. Go right to the SEC.
Different aisle......

Yeah, why change anything. With all the titles in the last thirty years top recruits should bypass Petey Buttigiegs South Bend to the SEC.

say what you want, fact is, they are all doing a better job then BK. Take your blinders off. 10 years, and all of a sudden a light bulb goes off in Kelly’s head that he needs to strive for top 5 recruiting classes. The guy is truly an amateur, that’s why he gets schooled not only in recruiting but on the field. He should go back to the G5 conference.

Reactions: Leahylads
What you are reading in my posts is exasperation.
  • Frustration with the fact that I've been saying the same thing for a half a decade being proven right over and over again and that I still haven't earned the benefit of the doubt
  • Frustrated that the overton window/dialogue regarding ND football hasn't moved despite endless evidence that runs contrary to the mainstream rhetoric/narrative.
  • Frustrated with lackluster recruiting
  • Frustrated with the ND establishment being complicit in the status quo (e.g. no critical articles, no criticism of Kelly, no criticism of ND administrators, etc.)
  • Frustrated with ND brass VIGOROUSLY supporting the status quo
  • Frustrated with fans who think i'm just some irrational hater despite providing tons of data to support my analysis
  • Frustrated that we are still having to go over and over the same deadbeat topics (there's only so many ways you can explain that 2+2=4)
I don't hate Brian Kelly .. i hate the fact that he remains employed at Notre Dame when most can see that he's topped out somewhere in the back half of the top 15 since back in 2015 ... and it's the same group of fans/media/nd establishment rehashing the same lameduck defense/arguments of BK in the face of ever-mounting evidence.

problem with your opinions is you do dislike Kelly. It is easy through barbs out there and you are good at that my guess is if it was one of the guys you think would be the greatest coach choice and something went south. You would act like I never supported hi. Or maybe we would not hear from you

For all of you defending BK and bashing these kids. This quote at the end is telling. It says all we need to know why ND is stuck in the 11-15 recruiting rankings and getting their doors blown off against top 10 competition.

“Tom Lemming, a recruiting analyst for CBS Sports Network, named eight head coaches who take the recruiting lead on their coaching staffs when pursuing the nation’s top players: LSU’s Ed Orgeron, Texas A&M’s Jimbo Fisher, Clemson’s Dabo Swinney, Georgia’s Kirby Smart, Alabama’s Nick Saban, Oklahoma’s Lincoln Riley, Oregon’s Mario Cristobal and Day.
Six of those eight programs comprise the top six recruiting classes nationally in 2020. All eight rank higher than Notre Dame.”

FACT!
BK apologists don't deal in facts

Which ND coach does this sound like?

Reactions: NDinNJ
say what you want, fact is, they are all doing a better job then BK. Take your blinders off. 10 years, and all of a sudden a light bulb goes off in Kelly’s head that he needs to strive for top 5 recruiting classes. The guy is truly an amateur, that’s why he gets schooled not only in recruiting but on the field. He should go back to the G5 conference.
Its finally dawned on this genius after 10 years that he and his staff need to recruit better.

Yeah, why change anything. With all the titles in the last thirty years top recruits should bypass Petey Buttigiegs South Bend to the SEC.
Let them go. ND wants kids with character. Not "snowflakes" who need constant attention.

Reactions: DublinND

Why don't you opine in your next sports conversation with friends ( if in fact there are any ) that you want your coach shown the door as he's only averaged 11 wins a year for the past 3 years.

The only question after will be what size net they toss over you.

Let them go. ND wants kids with character. Not "snowflakes" who need constant attention.

clueless. Lou Holtz would always close the deal with the recruits and their parents. These kids and parents are making a 4 year commitment to a school, they want and deserve to feel comfortable that the decision they are making is the right one. The leadership, which includes the head coach are critical components to this. Especially when it comes to the elite kids.

All of you BK supporters claim BK is at a disadvantage due to the academic restrictions. You would think Kelly would work that much harder to get the elite recruits that do qualify academically, knowing that the pool of elite recruits is smaller than most other programs.

This just adds to the fact that BK will never get the program to the next level.

Why does ND play any P5 opponents. They should replace the only 4 games on the schedule right now that are vs decent top 50 schools with more g5 quality so that fans can parade around their 11-2 seasons with their highest quality victory being to Iowa State in the Outdoor Sleep Sack Bowl.

After everything I've written on the topic of win-loss record especially with no adjustment made for quality of opponents...Fans are just blinded by that end of season record and can't look at it with anymore nuance than that.

Last edited:
Why don't you opine in your next sports conversation with friends ( if in fact there are any ) that you want your coach shown the door as he's only averaged 11 wins a year for the past 3 years.

The only question after will be what size net they toss over you.

Yes because wins against Navy, Bowling Green, Temple, New Mexico State, Wake Forest, Miami (OH), etc. that pad those 10-12 seasons are great.

If I wanted 10-12 wins with losses against real competition, I’d follow the likes of Memphis, Appalachian State, or Boise State.

Alabama finished with 11 wins this year, and Saban called it a disappointing season. The difference between a top 5 program and a Top 11-15 program.

Right, why should kelly make the extra effort to get the cream of the crop kids.
They would have gone to ND if only Brian Kelly had texted them a few x. That's what it all came down to. A few Hey what's up texts from the HC would have changed everything. They need to feel the " love" . We need a more engaged HC who sends our top 25 recruit prospects good night sweet dream texts to the recruits at least every night. Kelly needs to get on What's App while he s at it. The 40 year decision comes down to good texting. Lol
That's what you choose to take from this story?
Is it unreasonable that a kid wants to have some sort of relationship and communication from his head coach? Did you not see the other remarks about other assistants saying BK is not as involved as he should be?
A couple years back, BK admitted to not knowing his players and not communicating enough. Now, BK, himself, FINALLY admits he needs to improve recruiting.
All that said(facts), you still see no reason for constructive criticism.

Last edited:
“Yes because wins against Navy, Bowling Green, Temple, New Mexico State, Wake Forest, Miami (OH), etc. that pad those 10-12 seasons are great.”

Don’t know why you threw navy in there, aside from last year, they’ve been either ranked or teetering on being ranked for the majority of the last 15 years. They’ve played for their conference championship (which is the most competitive G5 conference) and have beaten numerous P5 programs in that span.

Reactions: notredamerises23
More interesting facts.

Last 3 seasons, records vs Top 10 and Top 5.

Alabama: Saban
Against Top 10 teams: 5-2
Against Top 5 teams: 2-1

Clemson: Dabo
Against Top 10 teams: 3-1
Against Top 5 teams: 2-1

Oklahoma: Lincoln Riley
Against Top 10 teams: 4-3
Against Top 5 teams: 1-2

Georgia
Against Top 10 teams: 4-5
Against Top 5 teams: 1-2

Ohio State: Meyer/Day
Against Top 10 teams: 4-1
Against Top 5 teams: 0-2

LSU: Orgeron
Against Top 10 teams: 3-3
Against Top 5 teams: 2-2

Auburn: Malzahn
Against Top 10 teams: 2-7
Against Top 5 teams: 2-3

Texas: Herman
Against Top 10 teams: 2-5
Against Top 5 teams: 1-3

Iowa: Ferentz
Against Top 10 teams: 1-3
Against Top 5 teams: 1-0

Notre Dame: Kelly
Against Top 10 teams: 0-4
Against Top 5 teams: 0-2

Kelly overall in 10 years at ND is 4-12 vs Top 25 That’s just ugly.

Tell me again Kelly is a top 10 coach when he’s winless against Top 10 teams.
He’s a 3rd tier coach.

Last edited:
“Yes because wins against Navy, Bowling Green, Temple, New Mexico State, Wake Forest, Miami (OH), etc. that pad those 10-12 seasons are great.”

Don’t know why you threw navy in there, aside from last year, they’ve been either ranked or teetering on being ranked for the majority of the last 15 years. They’ve played for their conference championship (which is the most competitive G5 conference) and have beaten numerous P5 programs in that span.
The majority of their schedule is against G5 opponents. They would lose 5-7 games with a P5 schedule. Same goes for Memphis, BSU, APP State... insert G5 program.

The majority of their schedule is against G5 opponents. They would lose 5-7 games with a P5 schedule. Same goes for Memphis, BSU, APP State... insert G5 program.

This is why F/+ is so relevant. It adjusts the team's performance for luck, for schedule quality, etc.

NDs best three year stretch of F/+ is still 2010-2012 (with a 10th ranked team on aggregate those years) and 2017-2019 is a close 2nd. The years in between are *really* inconsistent mostly from some really bad recruiting classes earlier in BKs tenure that suffered from a lot of roster attrition (suspensions, defections, etc.)

Bottom line no matter how you break it down the results aren't good enough. It's 2nd & 3rd tier results at a first tier blue blood program like Notre Dame.

Last edited:
This is why F/+ is so relevant. It adjusts the team's performance for luck, for schedule quality, etc.

NDs best three year stretch of F/+ is still 2010-2012 (with a 10th ranked team on aggregate those years) and 2017-2019 is a close 2nd. The years in between are *really* inconsistent mostly from some really bad recruiting classes earlier in BKs tenure that suffered from a lot of roster attrition (suspensions, defections, etc.)

Bottom line no matter how you break it down the results aren't good enough. It's 2nd & 3rd tier results at a first tier blue blood program like Notre Dame.
Look the clown Chase is back....Lol. hes talking about his crap f plus. Total meaningless thing that no one cares about. Cant get rid of the troll

NDs best three year stretch of F/+ is still 2010-2012 (with a 10th ranked team on aggregate those years) and 2017-2019 is a close 2nd. The years in between are *really* inconsistent mostly from some really bad recruiting classes that suffered from a lot of roster attrition (suspensions, defections, etc.)

Stop chase. F+ currently has Alabama ranked 2nd. That in itself verifies F+ is irrelevant.

No one cares. Go away.

Stop chase. F+ currently has Alabama ranked 2nd. That in itself verifies F+ is irrelevant.
Why? Because no matter how many words are written on the topic you simply refuse to or cannot understand it?
You have a certain/outdated/erroneous mindset of how teams should be ranked (mostly driven by a team's win-loss record) F/+ digs deeper than who beat who and by how much and takes a lot of other components into consideration that highly correlate to team quality in the same way vegas does.

Do you care about 0-6 vs Top 10 with Kelly 2.0 or 4-12 vs Top 25 with Kelly 1.0 and 2.0?

Dabo's regular season schedule this year was dogshit----ditto Saban's---he played 2 good teams and lost to them both.

Get over The Clemson and Bama comparisons----we aren't them---never going to be-----we don't want to be.

That isn't elitist or arrogance-----just factual.

The Academic Component of who we can recruit isn't the same.

Reactions: CBKsFather
Dabo's regular season schedule this year was dogshit----ditto Saban's---he played 2 good teams and lost to them both.

Get over The Clemson and Bama comparisons----we aren't them---never going to be-----we don't want to be.

Clemson's F/+ is still top 3/4 because they are producing vs a shit schedule in a way F/+ would expect one of the best teams in the country to perform against that schedule. This was confirmed by Clemson beating the #1 team in F/+ last week in the playoff.

As for the bolded...even the head coach himself has FINALLY acknowledged that he should be recruiting better at ND and that "there's a plan in place to get ND into the top 5". If there was really some barrier to ND being able to recruit top 5 classes BK wouldn't be saying this.

Sounds like a man who got an ass chewing from the guys who write his paychecks and he better have a plan in place to make it happen or he will be shown the door. But that's just my view of the situation.

No we deal in 11-2 and a 12-0 regular season with making the CFP last year
It's 12-1 not 12-0. And what was our best win during this stretch? At home against a mediocre Michigan team?

He's finally beating teams he was supposed to be beating his entire tenure at Notre Dame, he always loses the games that matter. Wake me up when he wins a key game against an elite team, a major bowl, or a championship. With the talent Notre Dame gets I couldn't care less about wins against Navy or Boston College.

Hopefully he finally gets it done against Clemson next year but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
It's 12-1 not 12-0. And what was our best win during this stretch? At home against a mediocre Michigan team?

At home vs a Michigan team that finished ranked 10th or so in F/+ in 2018 and against a 22nd ranked Iowa State team in the camping world bowl in 2019.

Reactions: deadprez3

Awesome, another list of excuses from the apologists. Should be second nature at this point.

Reactions: deadprez3

I listed 6 other coaches with better records vs top 10/top 5 and Kelly is 4-12 vs Top 25 over 10 years! Add in 11 straight road losses to top 20 teams. That’s an atrocious record for a blue blood.

You are a fool if you think the academic restrictions are holding BK back. I have news for you. EVERY coach post Rockne has had the same academic requirements to deal with.
Do you honestly believe there are zero elite athletes that are smart academically? What a joke.

Last edited:
I listed 6 other coaches with better records vs top 10/top 5 and Kelly is 4-12 vs Top 25 over 10 years! That’s atrocious.

You are a fool if you think the academic restrictions are holding BK back. I have news for you. EVERY coach post Rockne has had the same academic requirements to deal with.
Do you honestly believe there are zero elite athletes that are smart academically? What a joke.
Kelly on average has had top 10-15 talent to work with. With that talent he has beaten a grand total of 1 top 10 team in a decade and won zero major bowls. Not to mention the amount of unacceptable losses. He's been better recently but overall he's underachieved.

Then throw up the white flag and join the Ivy League or Patriot League.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT