ADVERTISEMENT

Styles and Colzie

Kontiki09

ND Expert
Sep 29, 2018
Lots of rumors going around on TOS that Styles and Colzie are very strongly considering the transfer portal. If that happens, our WR situation went from bad to dire. Freeman needs to hang onto both, and Del needs to go....like right now.

Lots of rumors going around on TOS that Styles and Colzie are very strongly considering the transfer portal. If that happens, our WR situation went from bad to dire. Freeman needs to hang onto both, and Del needs to go....like right now.
Why would these two go somewhere else when the Irish are going to be very good next year?

Hopefully unfounded. They both had pretty good years for freshmen.

Last edited:
Why would these two go somewhere else when the Irish are going to be very good next year?
I would assume it's likely indicative of 2 (or 3) things:

1. Del is just flat out not a good coach. Don't know how that point is even arguable anymore.
2. These kids see our QBs every day. Maybe they don't like what they're seeing.
3. They don't think their talents are properly being showcased in our current offensive scheme.

My guess is a mix of 1 and 3, but who knows. Right now, it's just rumors. Let's just hope and pray that they aren't true, and that Del is gone immediately after the Fiesta Bowl.

If they leave it would be detrimental. We would be playing 4 TE sets

They were first to report Walkers decommit, and CJ Williams.
Walker decommit was when he signed with Michigan. Everyone knew he was shaky since September. So no go there

People were reporting he was talking with sc for a long time

Walker decommit was when he signed with Michigan. Everyone knew he was shaky since September. So no go there

People were reporting he was talking with sc for a long time
Lol I mean, believe the rumors or not…up to you.

Thomas looking as well and Austin and lenzy really considering not coming back….

how is this happening?

Freeman and Rees should pull the WR room together and find out what the issue is. If they don’t want Alexander get rid of him.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
This is what happens when you want
To have a high powered offense and passing attack but can’t land or develop really good passing qbs and end up playing two TE sets most of the time.
We had an easy schedule and our leading wr had 780 yds and 6 tds. Ohio state had 3 with more than that.

If there’s a mass exodus at the wr position after promoting freeman to HC and giving Rees big raise jack probably made a big mistake. You made those moves fast to keep the team in tact. If they can’t even do that then what was the point?

If there’s a mass exodus at the wr position after promoting freeman to HC and giving Rees big raise jack probably made a big mistake. You made those moves fast to keep the team in tact. If they can’t even do that then what was the point?
Time for Rees to earn his money. He needs to lock our current WRs down for next year, and bring in a couple studs this recruiting cycle. If he can’t do that, I’m going to start being really really concerned about the decision to keep him as OC. Recruiting at the highest levels is an extremely important facet of being a coach.

Reactions: Weisnheimer
Time for Rees to earn his money. He needs to lock our current WRs down for next year, and bring in a couple studs this recruiting cycle. If he can’t do that, I’m going to start being really really concerned about the decision to keep him as OC. Recruiting at the highest levels is an extremely important facet of being a coach.
Yep, I just can’t imagine people leaving with such an opportunity in front of them. Telling If they do

Reactions: Kontiki09
Here we go again lol

On the bottle

Reactions: Kelso86
Here we go again lol

On the bottle
I’m about to have my first…..

If in one month, after promoting and retaining coaches you lose two top wr commits and a bunch of wrs transfer and declare that shouldn’t you have a major issue ….

The new landscape with NIL and guys transferring so easily, is bullshit. I don’t like it. Don’t enjoy it.

That said- it is what it is. ND and staff have to evolve and keep up.

Reactions: NDinNJ
The new landscape with NIL and guys transferring so easily, is bullshit. I don’t like it. Don’t enjoy it.

That said- it is what it is. ND and staff have to evolve and keep up.
The nil should benefit the schools with the most exposure…. That is ND…. It’s on ND for not utilizing the NIL and doing more for their athletes. If they don’t believe in it fine, but then they have no chance to compete with the big boys.

Reactions: TheSodFather
I’m about to have my first…..

If in one month, after promoting and retaining coaches you lose two top wr commits and a bunch of wrs transfer and declare that shouldn’t you have a major issue ….
We've had a wr problem for a long time now. We haven't retained Del. I doubt he comes back.

We just signed the number 7 class in the country after a coaching change and not having a full staff. Damn impressive

It hasn't been a month. We haven't lost a player to transfer

Was that the canary’s first chirp of buyer’s remorse regarding Freeman’s hiring? If so, it’s understandable. If not, it’s still a good question.

So much to consider here. And while much of it’s speculative, it’s still good food for thought even if it’s far too early to offer any conclusions. But that there are many loose ends that at some point may tie together is striking.

• Kelly had years of head coaching experience and a 72% won-lost record. Freeman in comparison is a relative novice with no CEO/head coaching experience. Maybe not all of the players prefer the new arrangement despite the enthusiasm and positive feedback for Freeman, overall. Will Freeman, a D guy, be any better at getting and developing Joe Burrows/Trevor Lawrence type QB’s? And if not, why would five-star WR’s come to ND? Or some already at ND stay? Seriously, how good a QB is Buchner -- or Pyne -- compared to some of the other talent out there?
  • Neither NIL nor the portal look to be ND’s friend. ND is unlikely – to put it mildly – to become an NIL recruiter and with the portal, it will be much easier for players to leave ND then to get in. And who knows if this didn’t factor into Kelly’s decision? If there’s one thing we’ve always known about Kelly – and he just reemphasized it – he’s CALCULATING.
  • NIL and the portal will work best for those teams whose barriers to entry – whether it’s recruits or transfers are the LOWEST. ND, because of academics, is HARDLY AN INCLUSIVE RECRUITER or ACCEPTER OF UNDERGRAD TRANSFERS. In fact, ND recruits more along the lines of CULLING A HERD. The pool of recruits may be x, but ND will only choose from x – y.
  • I can’t imagine Kelly wanting to be TRAPPED in that kind of environment at the SUNSET of his career when he’s probably always felt he could win an NC with the right recruiting PIPELINE.
  • With all of this in mind, would it have made more sense for ND to hire someone else to replace Kelly? We’ll never know until Freeman is three years into the experiment. As it is, I think he may be headed for the same kind of perfect storm that greeted Terry Brennan when in year 3, the extra recruits that had been given to Leahy his last three years were subtracted from Brennan’s yearly quota, going forward.
  • And if CFB’s new landscape should prove as POSSIBLY PROBLEMATIC TO ND AS MY SCENARIO SUGGESTS, is there ANY coach out there who would be better able to handle what’s facing Freeman than Freeman? Possibly, but the die’s been cast. I see a steep hill ahead for ND football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT