ADVERTISEMENT

Students To Walk Out During Commencement

Don't have to have a degree form ND. I received my degrees from a number of Colleges and Universities,
So why do I need a Degree from ND ? I can certainly make judgements on what I see at ND and most
universities in the USA. I can judge by the company that one keeps. I can " Tell a tree by its fruit ."
ND was just fine with Obama, the most pro abortion President that we ever had !
However, Trump was too " Controversal " for ND to invite him !
"One pro life, the other pro abortion "
I also try to keep up on current events: Washington Post 01/16/ 2016 :

Dramatic Shift That is Hurting Students' Education
Speaking of university faculty ratios. " Liberals now outnumber Conservatives 5 to 1 "
That is from a Liberal News Paper. Other publications say it is as high as 10 to 1.

*shrug* Academia is a profession which attracts more liberals than conservatives. I don't see that any different than, for example, banking, law, or medicine, which (I'm guessing here), probably have more conservatives as practitioners than liberals.

Reactions: rgc7
*shrug* Academia is a profession which attracts more liberals than conservatives. I don't see that any different than, for example, banking, law, or medicine, which (I'm guessing here), probably have more conservatives as practitioners than liberals.

NDE,

NDE,
Do not disagree with the above. I was just questioning why Walruzz seemed to be implying that one needed a degree from ND to express views on this tread ?

Reactions: Bodizephax
Why would any students be allowed to walk out on anyone? Have they completely lost respect for anyone? They don'y have to agree, however they should have respect, which they don't.

The problem here is that most students just go along for a ride on a cause not really having the in depth knowledge of what the situation really is. They have no real knowledge of working life as they have not been down that road yet.
1. Why should they have respect? Is there a moral obligation justifying this or some type of epistemological source for why they should have to respect Pence if they find his positions morally offensive?

2. How do you know the knowledge most young people who participated in that protest have on what they are protesting? What is the bright line for the amount of knowledge someone has to have in order to be able to protest? At what point after someone enters "working life" is it ok for them to start disagreeing with power structures?

3. Why would anyone advocate coercive limits on an individual's actions if they support freedom?

Protect that lawn of yours at all costs old man

Reactions: Irish Duck
Patriot,
Not only" Do they not have in depth knowledge " , but they do not even wish to listen to, learn
And understand the opposing point of views, and then decide what the pros and cons on both sides
of any and all issues may be.
In short, it is sad commentary on a college education when, only one side of all arguments is
Presented and the other side is completely not allowed anywhere in the classroom or on campus !
Very Sad !
How do you know any of this to be true? There is not much supporting this generalization.

NDE,

NDE,
Do not disagree with the above. I was just questioning why Walruzz seemed to be implying that one needed a degree from ND to express views on this tread ?
I believe the reason he was asking speaks to generalizations made on ND's student body and their knowledge. If people have never interacted with the Student body or students of ND then the value of their perception of how much civic involvement an ND student has or doesn't have is minimal.

Reactions: Walruzz
How do you know any of this to be true? There is not much supporting this generalization.

Did they stay to listen ? To hear what the other person had to say ? If one does not listen to another person's
Point of view, how can they debate the pros and cons of those views ?

Don't have to have a degree form ND. I received my degrees from a number of Colleges and Universities,
So why do I need a Degree from ND ? I can certainly make judgements on what I see at ND and most
universities in the USA. I can judge by the company that one keeps. I can " Tell a tree by its fruit ."
ND was just fine with Obama, the most pro abortion President that we ever had !
However, Trump was too " Controversal " for ND to invite him !
"One pro life, the other pro abortion "
I also try to keep up on current events: Washington Post 01/16/ 2016 :

Dramatic Shift That is Hurting Students' Education
Speaking of university faculty ratios. " Liberals now outnumber Conservatives 5 to 1 "
That is from a Liberal News Paper. Other publications say it is as high as 10 to 1.

You don't need a degree to express a view.

Just wanted to establish that you are making sweeping assumptions and generalizations with no firsthand knowledge. Having attended the university and having experienced first hand the education, you might understand that I view your position as less informed than than those of us who attended classes there.

You're free to express yourself all you want. But let's be clear, you are simply regurgitating the stories you've read.

You specifically said:

In short, it is sad commentary on a college education when, only one side of all arguments is
Presented and the other side is completely not allowed anywhere in the classroom or on campus !
Very Sad !

So, my question stands: how do you know what happens on campus? You're answer is that somebody else told you something. That does somewhat undermine the strength of your vitriol.

Last edited:
I believe the reason he was asking speaks to generalizations made on ND's student body and their knowledge. If people have never interacted with the Student body or students of ND then the value of their perception of how much civic involvement an ND student has or doesn't have is minimal.

" If people have never interacted with " Donald Trump ..,,,,,,,,,, the value of their perception is minimal.
Hilary ....,,,,
pence ..,,,,,
Fr. Jenkins ..,,,,,,
The student Body....,,
The Demonstrators....,,
I agree !

Just wanted to establish that you are making sweeping assumptions and generalizations with no firsthand knowledge. Having attended the university and having experienced first hand the education, you might understand that I view your position as less informed than than those of us who went there.

You're free to express yourself all you want. But let's be clear, you are simply regurgitating the stories you've read, which is selective, and ignorant.

You specifically said:

Very Sad !

I'm telling you that you are wrong about the campus. Period.

You are certainly entitled your views but Telling people that They are " ignorant " and "Regurgitating "
Sounds right out of The Liberal Playbook ! That tells me everything I need to know. no need for further debate !

Just wanted to establish that you are making sweeping assumptions and generalizations with no firsthand knowledge.
Just wanted to establish that you are making sweeping assumptions and generalizations with no firsthand knowledge. Having attended the university and having experienced first hand the education, you might understand that I view your position as less informed than than those of us who attended classes there.

You're free to express yourself all you want. But let's be clear, you are simply regurgitating the stories you've read, which is selective, and ignorant.

You specifically said:

Very Sad !

So, my question stands: how do you know what happens on campus? You're answer is that somebody else told you something. Weak sauce.
You are certainly entitled your views but Telling people that They are " ignorant " and "Regurgitating "
Sounds right out of The Liberal Playbook ! That tells me everything I need to know. no need for further debate !

Right out of the "I got caught talking out my ass playbook."

Guess Trump is a liberal. Or is it ignorant+regurgitating= Liberal.

"President Barack Obama “has been the most ignorant president in our history,” Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump said on Wednesday."

Last edited:
Did they stay to listen ? To hear what the other person had to say ? If one does not listen to another person's

That's not the message they wanted to transmit.

The kids can walk out if they like. That's their right. Anyone can bash or praise them. That's their right. I, personally, think they're still butt hurt that nurse ratched lost. Some here think that they really studied pence's positions and felt walking out was their best option to voice their displeasure. Don't know who's more correct, but arguing about their right to do so is dumb. Like I said, they can walk out, and I can rip them or praise them for it. Ftr, I think they're snowflakes, just as I would've thought of any students to walk out on Barry O, had they done so.

Pence has been very clear on his point of views in this previous speeches, actions, interviews, writings etc. If you are protesting a well established history why does not listening to one speech (your form of protest by the way) preclude you from debating the pros and cons? That is silly, so by your logic since you haven't watched all of Obama's speeches you cant debate the pros and cons of his views?

Reactions: ivan brunetti
" If people have never interacted with " Donald Trump ..,,,,,,,,,, the value of their perception is minimal.
Hilary ....,,,,
pence ..,,,,,
Fr. Jenkins ..,,,,,,
The student Body....,,
The Demonstrators....,,
I agree !
Public figures are different, you can have a more informed perception regarding someone like Trump or Hilary because they give speeches, give interviews, publish writings, take actions in public and so on. Because you can observe those things and understand motivations (at least stated motivations) your perception of them has some basis.

Making categorical assertions regarding an entire class of people that you do not know and have not interacted with makes little to no sense. Its also problematic that you are making blanket assertions about a group because the more people in the group the less likely the assertion is to be correct.

So I guess any graduate that disagrees w/ a speaker's position should stand up and walk out when they speak. Sounds kinda petty to me, but It is their right. I wonder where they went? Hopefully there was a soundproof room close by w/ plenty of juice boxes & crayons.

Reactions: rgc7
They went to their own private ceremony celebrating their graduation. Its not a matter of should they walk out when a speaker they disagree with is talking, its a matter of whether or not doing so is inherently wrong.

They went to their own private ceremony celebrating their graduation? Wow, bet that was a hoot.

And your previous posts made it sound like these students knew the policies of pence so well and disagreed w/ them, so within their rights, they walked out. I assumed you were cool w/ simply standing up & walking out of all speeches where you don't agree w/ certain positions the speaker has. Like I said before, well within your right, but seems extremely petty to me. Not necessarily "inherently wrong", just petty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT