ADVERTISEMENT

Students To Walk Out During Commencement

irish4life888

I've posted how many times?
Sep 20, 2009
I used to be an avid ND fan. I grew up across the street from the football stadium. I used to work the home games as early as 13 in the parking lots.I've been to well over 150 home games. I volunteered many hours with the Tennis program. This year, I'm done, I will no long support this University. No more hockey, basketball, or football games.

This ND is not the same ND I knew. Not only do they support, but promote the LGBT lifestyle. They give honors, medals, and honorary degrees to those who support abortion, gay marriage, and everything that God has denounced. It's no wonder the Archdiocese of Chicago is planning on removing them as a "Catholic University" and Bishop Cupich refuse to shake Jenkins hand and refused to meet with him.

As far as these students; to Hades with these privileged little ND snowflakes and SHAME on ND for letting them do it. NO WAY would ND have stood by and let that happen when Obama was there. ND is no longer a "Christian" school. They should have their tax exempt status revoked!

ND is dead to me.

Get use to it .There are no Catholic Universities . Just look at what's happened at Georgetown ,DePaul , Marquette ? Can't have a conservative speaker ? Objects to traditional values . ND now caters to a small group of Snowflakes . Maybe ,I'll check out the Evangelicals . Is Liberty University trying to stay true to its' creed ?

I used to be an avid ND fan. I grew up across the street from the football stadium. I used to work the home games as early as 13 in the parking lots.I've been to well over 150 home games. I volunteered many hours with the Tennis program. This year, I'm done, I will no long support this University. No more hockey, basketball, or football games.

This ND is not the same ND I knew. Not only do they support, but promote the LGBT lifestyle. They give honors, medals, and honorary degrees to those who support abortion, gay marriage, and everything that God has denounced. It's no wonder the Archdiocese of Chicago is planning on removing them as a "Catholic University" and Bishop Cupich refuse to shake Jenkins hand and refused to meet with him.

As far as these students; to Hades with these privileged little ND snowflakes and SHAME on ND for letting them do it. NO WAY would ND have stood by and let that happen when Obama was there. ND is no longer a "Christian" school. They should have their tax exempt status revoked!

ND is dead to me.

Shame on ND for letting them do it? What are they supposed to do - handcuff the students in their place?

They should have their tax exempt status revoked? Why? Because certain students are exercising their right of free expression? I fear a country where someone like you thinks people should be punished for that. I will note, though, that the current president is the one who wants to loosen up restrictions on political speech given by religious institutions - so I'm confused as to why you are against this.

No way ND would have stood by and let that happen when Obama was there? Obama was interrupted a number of times by protesters. It happens.

I tend to find it a silly gesture on behalf of the students who are doing it, but if they want to do it, I'm fine as long as they aren't materially disrupting the graduation ceremony for the graduates.

If you're done with the University, then let me be the first to tell you we won't miss you.

I should add as a note, being gay is not a "lifestyle". Living in a city is a "lifestyle". Working from home is a "lifestyle".

Why is free speech such a difficult concept to understand? It is a core belief and right of Americans. Your post is possible because of that belief and right. But frankly you are acting like a real snowflake.

This is typical immature leftist little children. Free speech is not about walking out showing how self-serving you are. It is about listening to the other side. So what did these babies learn from walking out. Again the left is not for free speech and on campus, it is certainly not about hearing alternative views and as another poster stated there are no Catholic universities anymore .

[COLOR=#ff0080 said:
"irish4life888, [/COLOR]post: 2006010, member: 9298"]I used to be an avid ND fan. I grew up across the street from the football stadium. I used to work the home games as early as 13 in the parking lots.I've been to well over 150 home games. I volunteered many hours with the Tennis program. This year, I'm done, I will no long support this University. No more hockey, basketball, or football games.

ND is dead to me.

Anyone see the irony with the OP's handle and his message?

This is typical immature leftist little children. Free speech is not about walking out showing how self-serving you are. It is about listening to the other side. So what did these babies learn from walking out. Again the left is not for free speech and on campus, it is certainly not about hearing alternative views and as another poster stated there are no Catholic universities anymore .

Actually, free speech is about expressing oneself. That includes walking out.

What did the "snowflakes" who had their alternate graduation ceremony during Obama's commencement speech learn? Were you equally upset at those snowflakes?

\

What did the "snowflakes" who had their alternate graduation ceremony during Obama's commencement speech learn? Were you equally upset at those snowflakes?

the same thing should have listened.

Reactions: TOMMY_23
When a person (who is gay) arrives before Jesus, Jesus certainly will not say, 'Go away because you are homosexual,'" Pope Francis said.

Of course stating the obvious. But what does the word of God say about homosexuality? Assuming he is coming to ask forgiveness. then....

I didn't recall a number of people on this site upset about the "snowflakes" wanting their own graduation ceremony at the time.

I personally do not care and cannot answer for others. However, I think it is rude to walk out on a speaker as appropriate as the president or vice president

giphy.gif

Oh no! Opposing viewpoints! How should I respond......?

Reactions: SeanPol355
I would have stayed and listened too. Would you have done same for Obama?

it is obvious what I would do by my previous answers. the president or VP should be honored and deserves respect. Fwiw, I did not vote Obama however, I thought after the 2008 election it may be a good thing after the 2012 election I was extremely disappointed but it lasted an hour and I moved one.

[QUOTE="irish4life888, post: 2006010, member: 9298" It's no wonder the Archdiocese of Chicago is planning on removing them as a "Catholic University" and Bishop Cupich refuse to shake Jenkins hand and refused to meet with him.

ND is dead to me.[/QUOTE]

Shame on Bishop Cupich.

And if ND is dead to you, we won't have to read more of these nonsensical posts.

I've seen students walk out at halftime during football games when the games were close and still in doubt. The weather is great, the game is a nail biter, it's a national TV game at the famed ND Stadium and where the hell are these kids going in such a hurry? Short attention span I'm guessing.

I've seen students walk out at halftime during football games when the games were close and still in doubt. The weather is great, the game is a nail biter, it's a national TV game at the famed ND Stadium and where the hell are these kids going in such a hurry? Short attention span I'm guessing.
That is an easy answer..... they are going to where there is booze.

Reactions: Irish Duck
I suspect that there were lots of parents that would have liked to walk out on Obama a few years ago, but 99.99% of parents would not risk ruining the big day for their kids by taking attention away from the graduation with their own personally driven distraction. Perhaps the current kids might consider the same thought, give the same consideration to the majority of kids simply celebrating their four years at ND and the accomplishment of graduating, without having the ceremony turned into a circus.

When I started seeing the snowflake term used by the alt-right, I had to look it up. It referred to white aryans who melted when their all white privilege vision of society was challenged. It was used to refer to anti abolitionists in the 1860s and Germany's master race hysteria before and during WWII. I don't think that is what the alt right is using it for. Now, the left is calling them snowflakes.

President Ford came to ND in 1975 or so. Students walked out on that one as well. I thought he was pretty benign. I think they were mad about the pardon for Nixon.

Two experiences I routinely draw upon...

I was raised by a devoutly Catholic father, who has a wonderful sister, who is gay. In fact she was up visiting just this past week and I made a quick to trip home to see her as she's always been my favourite aunt. Love getting out to golf with her. While she was home (she lives with her partner of 35 years down in Wisconsin) we attended Mass on Sunday morning as we always have. In fact, she can probably count on one hand, the number of times she's missed Sunday Mass in her life. Down in Wisconsin, her and her partner are deeply imbebdded in their Church. Now retired and very well off from a lifetime of hardwork, they spend a great deal of time heading and helping a number of the Church related charities, most significantly, a meals-on-wheels program where help cook and deliver food to seniors who are part of the Church that struggle financially, or have a hard time leaving their homes... When I was a teenager, I once asked my Aunt Pam why she continues to participate in an organization that doesn't support her life choices. Among the only times I've ever seen her become stern with anyone she turned to me and said "young man, I have read the Bible front-to-back and I've spent my entire life as a practicing Christian. I'm convinced of two things. The first is that God's final judgment is the only one that I need to worry about, and if He chooses to banish me from Heaven because I'm gay, rather than focus on how I try to be a good person and neighbour, then he wasn't the God that I raised to belive is merciful and who created us with the ability to sin and overcome it... In which case I wouldn't be interested in walking through those gates anyways. The second is that at least I know that hell will be much warmer than Ontario."

Her point was that yeah she was routinely pissed off that the Church deeply frowned upon who she is as a Human Being. Undoubtedly, people in her Church had negative things to say about her and even tried to exclude her and her partner whenever possible, but the real "snowflakes" aren't friggen tough enough to participate in something they believe in, simply because it doesn't kiss their ass. She also fundamentally believes that respect is honouring the traditions and values that the Church believes in, while patiently waiting for modernization to promote change. It takes time... Young people today are Cottonelle Kitten soft. They quit on, or walk away from elements of their life the second it doesn't promote their interest or agenda, or they can't ruin tradition overnight to suit or reflect their personal interests. It's the "right now" generation. They have no patience. They have interest in process or gradual change. They're ****ing babies if you ask me.

888, as a lifelong ND fan and Christian, I'd hope you wouldn't walk out on something you believe in. Even if doesn't currently line up with your values. Tradition requires there to be people that continue to carry it. With passion, vigor, spirit, patience and grace... Even in the face major resistance. ND needs people like you to continue to volunteer, continue to school others on it's tradional values and to not walk away when the going gets tough. Let God make those judgments when the time comes. Just keep being you buddy.

The second experience I often draw upon happened when I was 15 years old and a sophomore in high school. I played on an extremely successful high school basketball team and we played for one of the most influential people in life, Father Ed, who was the last priest still teaching at our school (he taught history) and he also happened to be one of most respected high school basketball coaches in the country, winning a number of provincial and national championships over the course of his wonderful career in developing young men. I had the pleasure of bring his starting shooting guard for two of those provincial championships and I'll never be able to thank him enough for sticking with a 5'11 kid that had a horrendous junior year in which he lost his stroke entirely and went into the provincial playoffs shooting 24% from behind the arc. Never gave up on me though. Anyways, on one of those two provincial championship teams, again, my sophomore season, two of our senior starters and our unquestioned leaders, we're suspended from school for 3 days right before our first game because they were involved in bullying a kid who was openly gay. Father Ed, didn't say anything about it until they returned to school and to practice, when the Wrath of God well on us, 24 hours before we played our arch rival in our season opener... Father Ed was the definition of a hard ass. His teams won on guts, commitment, toughness and being technically sound. We started 4 white kids and our post player was maybe 6'3. We weren't anything to look at. But his guys were a team... So we always paid dearly as a team. The second we talked into the gym, he pulled us together as a group and scathingly stated "Ian, Jackson, you are not playing on my team for the entirety of the regular season. You may be the two best players on this team, but I'm embarrassed for us all and over my dead body will I coach a team who bullies other people. I don't care what our religion tells you is right and wrong, above all else, every member of this team will treat others as they would want to be treated. I'm disgusted. You're supposed to be role models, not thugs. You damn well better start acting like it." The man was literally in tears. He then proceeded tell Ian and Jackson that if they wanted to remain part of the program they would spend evenings after school on Game days, volunteering at a place of Father Ed's choice. They weren't playing, so they could practice with us, but there was no point of them being at the games, so they ought to spend their time doing something usual for society... If they missed a single practice, got in any other trouble, had any grades issues, or missed a single day of volunteering, they were done. This was all simply for a chance to play in the provincial playoffs should we even make it without our two best players and senior captains... To their credit, they did everything asked of them. To Father Ed's credit he went as far as inviting the gay student who was bullied to be our team manager for his compulsory community service hours that he needed to graduate and to the kid's credit he accepted the invitation, did a hell of a job and actually befriended most of the team... Miraculously, after losing our first two games of the season, we went on a great run, won our region and headed off to provincials. Jackson and Ian were inserted back into the lineup and Jackson wound up being All Tournament and scored 37 points in monumental upset in the provincial championship game against a heavily favored team from Toronto... My mother still has the framed pictured just after we cut down the nets as we are huddled for our team photo with the banner and our gold medals. In the center is Father Ed, swarmed by his guys. In the top right is his his gangly shooting guard with a black eye from an elbow he took a game prior (yours truly). And in the top left are Jackson and Jay (the student who had been picked on) arms around each other, all smiles, in victory.

Sport has the power to heal 888. There is enough bad shit going on in the world today. Negativity is at an all time high. Don't give up on Notre Dame football so easily. Immerse yourself in it. Remember that college athletics, as flawed as they can be, still give opportunities to those who might not otherwise have them. They still often help develop young men into leaders and both help them to uncover and further develop their character.

Sometimes you need to walk through the darkness to see the light 888. Have no fear though, God is with you on the journey, as tough as it may get and as often as your faith may be tested.

Until we meet again, May the Lord hold you in the palm of his hand.

I understand the disappointment and emotion expressed by the OP, but happen to disagree with every conclusion reached. I hate reading about all the intolerance on college campuses towards conservative speakers, and like to think ND is different and more open and tolerant of divergent views. The fact that some students plan to walk out on Pence shows a level of disrespect for the man and the office that I find disappointing, but arguing they shouldn't be allowed to do so is much more troubling. Railing against the university's support for the LGBT Lifestyle seems terribly ill informed. History has shown that LGBT preferences have been present in the population of every civilization, and science is increasingly of the opinion that a percentage of the population is simply wired differently than the majority. Seems hypocritical to argue for tolerance and acceptance towards a conservative speaker who holds his views by choice, while arguing for intolerance towards members of the LGBT community who are simply being open and honest to themselves.

Reactions: IRISHJD98
Sum it up as this guys and gals people need to be cognizant of their rhetoric. When you spew terms of hate and dislike towards any beliefs that doesn't line up with yours its CALLED OPPRESSION. We should be a people of inclusion. We have world leaders in other countries killing people for personal beliefs, don't be foolish. Regardless of sex, religion, sexual preferences, politics etc. we should all be inclusive.

Sum it up as this guys and gals people need to be cognizant of their rhetoric. When you spew terms of hate and dislike towards any beliefs that doesn't line up with yours its CALLED OPPRESSION. We should be a people of inclusion. We have world leaders in other countries killing people for personal beliefs, don't be foolish. Regardless of sex, religion, sexual preferences, politics etc. we should all be inclusive.

the problem with this statement what is considered hate has changed by the left. /if you consider yourself a traditional catholic or christian to lefties you are spewing hate speech. There are other examples. Milo who is a conservative gay man is designated as a white supremacist. Completely ridiculous. But your statement sounds like lefty BS because you decide what is offensive

"Hate" may very well be the most misused, ill defined word in American social jargon today. I recently read an article about some ultra left-wing professor at the Univ of Arizona. Based on her definition of "hate speech" we'd all have to walk around with duct tape over our mouths 24/7/365 lest we offend someone by actually opening our mouth on a topic. This was the professor who tried to have a student kicked out of her class for reading the bible in the classroom BEFORE the class started. Reading the bible in view of other people was deemed offensive by her. So that gives you an idea where she comes from.

ND is dead to me.

I do 'get it' about how you feel.
First ND is made up of buildings(cement and steel).
Second it is an institution of people whose values will like most people be self serving, in constant state of flux and generalky without a firmed basis for principles or moral values. In otherwords 'worldly value'.

Remember you are 'in this world, but not of it'.

Last edited:
the problem with this statement what is considered hate has changed by the left. /if you consider yourself a traditional catholic or christian to lefties you are spewing hate speech. There are other examples. Milo who is a conservative gay man is designated as a white supremacist. Completely ridiculous. But your statement sounds like lefty BS because you decide what is offensive

No, the problem with hate is that it's always one side pointing at the other, saying "it's your fault" that hatred and hate speech exists... And the other side pointing back saying the same thing. Right wing Christians have an agenda. Left wing Christians have an agenda. Centered Christians have an agenda. Atheists have an agenda. Politicians have an agenda. Extreme, moderate and centered leftists have an agenda. Gay people have an agenda. Straight people have an agenda. Santa Claus has an agenda and so do his elves (and it may not line up with his, shockingly). Polar bears have an agenda. Your dog has an agenda and so does your cat. Your wife has an agenda and your kids do too... AND SO DO YOU.

We all have agendas. We tend to organize ourselves with others that share our agenda. We do so to obtain power in numbers to fight those that oppose our agenda...

When we start realizing that WE are as much of the problem as THEY are the problem, in any situation, we can start having quality conversations and meeting in the middle... Until we stop pointing the finger and allow ourselves to see it from the other side for a second, we're wasting our time.

"Hate" may very well be the most misused, ill defined word in American social jargon today. I recently read an article about some ultra left-wing professor at the Univ of Arizona. Based on her definition of "hate speech" we'd all have to walk around with duct tape over our mouths 24/7/365 lest we offend someone by actually opening our mouth on a topic. This was the professor who tried to have a student kicked out of her class for reading the bible in the classroom BEFORE the class started. Reading the bible in view of other people was deemed offensive by her. So that gives you an idea where she comes from.[/QUOTE

That's why I said be cognizant of your rhetoric. People can say whatever they like and if you do you deal with the consequences. If I was in a class where a teacher found reading a book like the bible offensive, that's not a person I would let educate me.

Yeah... So the Boston tea party... Civil rights protests... These people were supposed to sit down and talk through their issues. Come on man. Get off the high horse. America is built on protests in multiple forms, being American mean accepting that these people are exercising their rights. You don't have to agree with them, just accept that it's their right to do so and move on.

I have no problem with The Students who walk out. They have that right. Notre Dame can take any stance on any issue they choose. They have that right as well. The Church can decide what they feel needs to be done. They have that right. And we have the right to support Notre Dame or not. The Truth is Notre Dame hasn't been Catholic for decades. Never forget what Father Hesburgh said years ago. This isn't The University it used to be and that is fine. I will always love what Notre Dame was. I no longer love what they have become. It is so sad, and very hard to come to grips with. I wish them well. Dominus Vobiscum...Always.

No, the problem with hate is that it's always one side pointing at the other, saying "it's your fault" that hatred and hate speech exists... And the other side pointing back saying the same thing. Right wing Christians have an agenda. Left wing Christians have an agenda. Centered Christians have an agenda. Atheists have an agenda. Politicians have an agenda. Extreme, moderate and centered leftists have an agenda. Gay people have an agenda. Straight people have an agenda. Santa Claus has an agenda and so do his elves (and it may not line up with his, shockingly). Polar bears have an agenda. Your dog has an agenda and so does your cat. Your wife has an agenda and your kids do too... AND SO DO YOU.

We all have agendas. We tend to organize ourselves with others that share our agenda. We do so to obtain power in numbers to fight those that oppose our agenda...

When we start realizing that WE are as much of the problem as THEY are the problem, in any situation, we can start having quality conversations and meeting in the middle... Until we stop pointing the finger and allow ourselves to see it from the other side for a second, we're wasting our time.

I understand your point. Right now my agenda is trying to fix my ice maker because some lefty made stop working. so the line froze up and now i am seeing if the valve is not working well

I understand your point. Right now my agenda is trying to fix my ice maker because some lefty made stop working. so the line froze up and now i am seeing if the valve is not working well

Ewwwww.... Lefty made products are the worst. You know that somebody got paid a higher minimum wage, to make an inferior product :)

Hope you get that going Zona! And I hope you're in good health my man. What's weather like out your way today? Would I be on the golf course right now?

I wonder what the reaction would be if students had walked out on Obama......

RACISTS!

perplexed

why enroll at a university that has other stated values/dogma/principles or? than are 'yours'?

is to destroy it the purpose? deny others the right to a belief under the guise of 'rights for all'
fubar.

Last edited:
perplexed

why enroll at a university that has stated values/dogma/principles or? than are 'yours'?

is to destroy it the purpose? deny others the right to a belief under the guise of 'rights for all'
fubar.

Not all Catholics hold every single belief of the Catholic Church.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT