ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Angeli going forward

We all think that's you. Everyone is saying unlikely but not impossible except you
It's virtually an impossibility. Something catastrophic would have to occur for CJ to start vs T&M

It's virtually an impossibility. Something catastrophic would have to occur for CJ to start vs T&M
Virtually is not impossible.

And it's actually not that crazy to think a talented kid could beat out 2 other talented guys who also have never played 1 significant snap of cfb in their lives.

Do I think Carr will start, no. But much crazier things have happened than that. Id be surprised but not overly shocked

Virtually is not impossible.

And it's actually not that crazy to think a talented kid could beat out 2 other talented guys who also have never played 1 significant snap of cfb in their lives.

Do I think Carr will start, no. But much crazier things have happened than that. Id be surprised but not overly shocked
It's not just about significant snaps. It's learning the offense, watching the film, time in the weight room, working with the receivers and the offense overall in practice. CJ is not a once in a generation QB that can simply step in. He's so far behind Minchey and Angeli in terms of actually being in the system, it is virtually impossible that he starts. I'll gladly bet you that he isn't the starting QB come September 2024

Of course it is.

Barring injuries, Zero shot.

Again. Zero.

And if Golson wants to wager, count me in.

It's not just about significant snaps. It's learning the offense, watching the film, time in the weight room, working with the receivers and the offense overall in practice. CJ is not a once in a generation QB that can simply step in. He's so far behind Minchey and Angeli in terms of actually being in the system, it is virtually impossible that he starts. I'll gladly bet you that he isn't the starting QB come September 2024
Can you not read? Honest question?

I repeated over and over and over that I do not think he starts.

• Haha
Reactions: IrishMike409
Will Rogers is leaving Mississippi State. Not saying he’s the guy, but the pool of potential solutions is going to start getting bigger and bigger in the coming weeks. Several guys will likely hit the portal and form this boards de facto Christmas List.

It’s going to be an interesting 6 weeks, as the QB “issue” starts to resolve (or maybe not resolve) itself.

My 2 cents: the staff wants someone better than Angeli, BUT they will go forward with him, scheme for him, and reasonably trust him if no one else emerges.

Minchey is certainly a talent, but he has to step forward and emerge in a big time way to earn the start vs A&M.

Carr- he’ll be here in a month. It’s unlikely, but certainly not impossible that he earns the job.

The 2 most interacting questions are:

1. Who’s gonna be the grad transfer?
2. Can Carr come in and quickly pass-up Minchey?

Will Rogers is leaving Mississippi State. Not saying he’s the guy, but the pool of potential solutions is going to start getting bigger and bigger in the coming weeks. Several guys will likely hit the portal and form this boards de facto Christmas List.

It’s going to be an interesting 6 weeks, as the QB “issue” starts to resolve (or maybe not resolve) itself.

My 2 cents: the staff wants someone better than Angeli, BUT they will go forward with him, scheme for him, and reasonably trust him if no one else emerges.

Minchey is certainly a talent, but he has to step forward and emerge in a big time way to earn the start vs A&M.

Carr- he’ll be here in a month. It’s unlikely, but certainly not impossible that he earns the job.

3. Can Minchey pass up Angeli?

Reactions: IrishMike409
So, both Jimmy and Brady Quinn both started during their freshman years, and Powlus was injured before the season began. Neither QB's started every game but they did get starts. I realize the game has changed etc, but history has shown that when ND has a dude at QB, they get him in. Will be interesting to see what Freeman does here. Carr has the best coaching money can buy very close in his life and he has had great coaching advice until now. If he is a dude, I would expect him to see time in 2024. Probably not against TAM, but at some point in the season. IF, and it's a big if, he is a dude.

CJ Carr won't start at TAM, unless 8-4 is the ceiling for 2024.

Disagree, Talent is defined as natural aptitude or skill. Jaylen Sneed is more athletic than Manti was but Manti was superior talented. Talent should not be defined as athleticism alone, I played hoops with far superior athletes who had 0 talent. John Stockton comes to mind as well as a great talent, not athletically gifted.
Back to this, reminds me of a frequent argument in my college days. Being athletic doesn’t make you an athlete. It’s the talent (skill and aptitude) that makes one an athlete. You can be fast, strong, quick without any talent. As Kenny Powers says, “I play real sports, not trying to be the best at exercising”.

Reactions: francade
Back to this, reminds me of a frequent argument in my college days. Being athletic doesn’t make you an athlete. It’s the talent (skill and aptitude) that makes one an athlete. You can be fast, strong, quick without any talent. As Kenny Powers says, “I play real sports, not trying to be the best at exercising”.
The Seattle Seahawks have a receiver that had a 4.99 40 time.

I agree that people tend to say “talent” when referring to physical gifts when it’s really how “good” the player is. I wouldn’t call a 245 pound linebacker who runs a 4.45 “good” if he’s terrible at the position and can’t tackle. Yet if he’s on the bench, people will refer to him as “talented”.

I agree that people tend to say “talent” when referring to physical gifts when it’s really how “good” the player is. I wouldn’t call a 245 pound linebacker who runs a 4.45 “good” if he’s terrible at the position and can’t tackle. Yet if he’s on the bench, people will refer to him as “talented”.
No wonder they lost!

Who would that be?

I think we need to roll with Steve Angeli and see what he has. He deserves a shot to start. If he’s not good then move on. Can’t bring a grad transfer every year.
So much risk with coaching careers, other players careers and money. Why would you take that risk? Sports is the ultimate “best man win”. There is nothing about being fair, waiting your term or feeling sorry. You get the best players from the portal every year and let the players sort it out. If Angeli isn’t great, I don’t think we want to live that another year. You have a QB room with zero experience. Just tough cycle but you’re out of it next year with CJ and Duece hopefully. We all have an opinion, if I was choosing I wouldn’t put everyone’s hope on him.

So much risk with coaching careers, other players careers and money. Why would you take that risk? Sports is the ultimate “best man win”. There is nothing about being fair, waiting your term or feeling sorry. You get the best players from the portal every year and let the players sort it out. If Angeli isn’t great, I don’t think we want to live that another year. You have a QB room with zero experience. Just tough cycle but you’re out of it next year with CJ and Duece hopefully. We all have an opinion, if I was choosing I wouldn’t put everyone’s hope on him.
Glad your not choosing. The reality is nobody on this freaking board has a clue about the actual skill levels of any of these player, except for the hype BS that's put out by other know nothing on this board. Should there be a competition? Of course, and the one who shows out will play. One point is true; you recruit kids, develop them, coach them and play them; been going on like that for decades upon decades, before portal.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Glad your not choosing. The reality is nobody on this freaking board has a clue about the actual skill levels of any of these player, except for the hype BS that's put out by other know nothing on this board. Should there be a competition? Of course, and the one who shows out will play. One point is true; you recruit kids, develop them, coach them and play them; been going on like that for decades upon decades, before portal.
If you follow recruiting it’s kind of common sense that Angeli lacks the tools to be a first round pick. I don’t expect him to be Aaron Rodger’s and neither does he. This isn’t hard to understand.

If you follow recruiting it’s kind of common sense that Angeli lacks the tools to be a first round pick. I don’t expect him to be Aaron Rodger’s and neither does he. This isn’t hard to understand.
Tom Brady would have been 3-4 star QB coming out of HS. Everyone thought he lacked all the tools to be a first round pick, yet he's one of the greatest QB's to ever play football.

On the flip side how many highly rated recruits haven't lived up to expectations? More often than not.

Diehard_Irish is right, none of us know anything, it's all just speculation. Only the coaches know.

Reactions: hvillebill
So you think where gonna get a first round pick via portal? Yeah good luck with that. Oh and I do follow recruiting and 1st round QB picks. A lot of recruiting and QB picks are historically wrong. That ain't just common sense, it's fact

Last edited:
So you think where gonna get a first round pick via portal? Yeah good luck with that. Oh and I do follow recruiting and 1st round QB picks. A lot of recruiting and QB picks are historically wrong. That ain't just common sense, it's fact

Correct. But don’t act like we don’t know that he doesn’t have a cannon arm and Vick’s running ability. His upside was very clearly limited. The guys you’re referring to had tremendous ceilings even if the floor was low. We know we don’t have guys with tremendous ceilings. Deuce will, but he’s not here. CJ could be a second round pick kind of guy and he is probably the best we’ve had since Clausen. My point is that for the most part, we do know what we have.

Tom Brady would have been 3-4 star QB coming out of HS. Everyone thought he lacked all the tools to be a first round pick, yet he's one of the greatest QB's to ever play football.

On the flip side how many highly rated recruits haven't lived up to expectations? More often than not.

Diehard_Irish is right, none of us know anything, it's all just speculation. Only the coaches know.
Angeli doesn’t have Tom Brady’s height, arm, or really any similarity at all. You’re also mentioning the exception. Probably the biggest anomaly in sports history. 99.9% of NFL starters have big rocket arms, height, extreme athleticism, or a combination of all. Again, a low floor high ceiling talent is not what we have with Angeli. He has the potential to be a solid QB. Do we want a solid QB?

Angeli doesn’t have Tom Brady’s height, arm, or really any similarity at all. You’re also mentioning the exception. Probably the biggest anomaly in sports history. 99.9% of NFL starters have big rocket arms, height, extreme athleticism, or a combination of all. Again, a low floor high ceiling talent is not what we have with Angeli. He has the potential to be a solid QB. Do we want a solid QB?
The 2 biggest attributes a QB can have is decision making and accuracy.
Two of the best ever... Neither Brady and Manning had rocket arms so you can throw your theory out the window.

Two of the best ever... Neither Brady and Manning had rocket arms so you can throw your theory out the window.
Brady had an underrated arm. He had a big arm

Brady was also 6'4" 225lbs

Those two players were 6’4 (85th percentile) and 6’5 (95th percentile) respectively.

Brady had an underrated arm. He had a big arm

Brady was also 6'4" 225lbs
Nonsense...I watched every game he played for Pats and no one would say he had a big arm. He made great decisions and was very accurate. Combine those with his intangibles and you have the greatest ever.

Nonsense...I watched every game he played for Pats and no one would say he had a big arm. He made great decisions and was very accurate. Combine those with his intangibles and you have the greatest ever.
You also thought BVG was a good DC

I seen Brady throw absolute darts as I watched his whole career. Saw him throw the ball over 70 yards in the air with pads on. His arm got a lot stronger in the middle of his career. Had a big arm

Your argument literally holds no water at all. A ND guy named Montana didn't have rocket arm, didn't run like crazy, was 5th on NDs depth chart, but I seem to recall he did pretty well. Nobody is claiming Angeli is a first round pick, bit all your talk about "ceilings and floors" is stuff you read; you basically have no idea about any of the QBs. Calling Carr a 2nd round pick before he even plays is snap is flat out ridiculous.

Reactions: Kelso86
Your argument literally holds no water at all. A ND guy named Montana didn't have rocket arm, didn't run like crazy, was 5th on NDs depth chart, but I seem to recall he did pretty well. Nobody is claiming Angeli is a first round pick, bit all your talk about "ceilings and floors" is stuff you read; you basically have no idea about any of the QBs. Calling Carr a 2nd round pick before he even plays is snap is flat out ridiculous.
Montana was a very good athlete. I get your point. But also have to be accurate

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
Montana was a very good athlete. I get your point. But also have to be accurate
Definitely not disputing his athletic ability, just making a point. He was what he was because of his athleticism and football IQ; not a 1st rounder with a rocket arm etc. And as I've posted, we're not getting a 1st rounder via the portal. Recruit them, develop them, coach them, play them, like its been for decades upon decades before transfer portal

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
You also thought BVG was a good DC

I seen Brady throw absolute darts as I watched his whole career. Saw him throw the ball over 70 yards in the air with pads on. His arm got a lot stronger in the middle of his career. Had a big arm
You wanted 3rd stringer Buchner to be the ND QB.
Nobody with a double digit IQ would say Brady had a big arm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT