ADVERTISEMENT

Spring practice update

It will be evident after Spring Practice.

The team will know as a whole who the starter will be.

Nothing much will change in development from May-July that would cause one of the 4 to jump in front if they are not already.

Judging from the film and who is getting the most reps with first team, this is a two man race between Coan and Pyne.

Coan will start week one guys. This is not a mystery. If the staff had full confidence in Pyne they never would have brought in Coan.

Book threw an unbelievably nice ball and easy to catch. Pyne has the most natural throwing motion and ball but coan is really solid too. Buchner has some issue with his motion. NO clue how it went from really good 2 years ago, to short and kinda side arm.
Who throws better- Coan vs Pyne?

Kelly on Buchner

"From the quarterback standpoint, I think the guy, if you want to say who's made the most progress, it's probably Tyler Buchner just because he hasn't played or hadn't played a lot when he got here," Kelly said. "His motion is really fluid, he's throwing the ball very well, but he's learning a lot, right? He's got a lot to learn about our offensive structure and just the nuances.

Reactions: IrishMike409

Indoor practice shows good QB film. I do not see a sidearm from Buchner. Granted, he does not look great. However, his form seems the same as his junior year in high school.

High School

The throw at the 5:12 mark form is low and kind of side arm, you especially notice it when he throws a deep ball, they will probably float right.

I’m just a fan, and my non-expert opinion/thought: wow- Pyne throws a nice ball. Fluid easy motion, accurate, ball placement is there.

That said- seems like Coan is the odds on favorite and the trusted veteran. Can we win 11+ with Coan? I think yes.

The throw at the 5:12 mark form is low and kind of side arm, you especially notice it when he throws a deep ball, they will probably float right.
3:30 mark of Coan is similar to Buchner’s release.

I have screen shots but I am not sure how to post.

Buchner has the “L” shaped arm when it’s about ear level. His hand ends up in front thumb down. Also, the ball gets there fast and he is accurate. Is there some dip in the arm? Yes, but it is not a sidearm release.

Coan opens up really big on the deep ball which is great. Wide stance no wasted motion.

Reactions: mirer03
3:30 mark of Coan is similar to Buchner’s release.

I have screen shots but I am not sure how to post.

Buchner has the “L” shaped arm when it’s about ear level. His hand ends up in front thumb down. Also, the ball gets there fast and he is accurate. Is there some dip in the arm? Yes, but it is not a sidearm release.

Coan opens up really big on the deep ball which is great. Wide stance no wasted motion.
Did you watch the video of Buchner 2 years ago throwing, it was way better than his motion today?

Did you watch the video of Buchner 2 years ago throwing, it was way better than his motion today?
I posted his Junior highlights.

15 seconds in it looks the same

55 seconds into highlights it is exactly the same as Spring practice video

Does it make any sense to move a WR over? Worked for K Russell, Bennet Jackson, and Mathias Farley....
We have bodies, for some reason they haven't made the field. There was also a coaching change.

It is clear we need a more diverse cornerback rotation, but that simply hasn't happened. Anytime a top line cb goes down nds cb depth is exposed. Example being vs clemson with love. They scored on three out of four of the drives when he left with injury, two with the backup being burned. We don't JUST need a talent influx, we also need a recruiting and development overhaul. Backups have in previous seasons just not been ready to play.

Four predictions:

Justin Walters will be really good.
Number 0 is finally going to break through!
Jack Coan is going to win the job and have great year.
11-1 Finish but no playoff.

Just curious - who are you predicting the loss to, and what are you basing "no playoffs" on? That there will four undefeated teams chosen ahead of the Irish, that our loss will be a bad loss and make people not vote us in, ???

Reactions: melstew
Four predictions:

Justin Walters will be really good.
Number 0 is finally going to break through!
Jack Coan is going to win the job and have great year.
11-1 Finish but no playoff.
One loss to who?

Just curious - who are you predicting the loss to, and what are you basing "no playoffs" on? That there will four undefeated teams chosen ahead of the Irish, that our loss will be a bad loss and make people not vote us in, ???
Most likely we don't get on with one loss.

With no conf championship and probably not having a top 5 win. We probably don't get in at 11 and 1

One loss to who?
or-to-whom.jpg

Most likely we don't get on with one loss.

With no conf championship and probably not having a top 5 win. We probably don't get in at 11 and 1

I hear you. On the other hand, 11 impressive wins and a close loss to a Wisconsin, USC or UNC + that winning team having a great year, who knows. A bad loss to them or anyone else definitely makes it unlikely.

I really have no sense as to what the best chance for a loss is. It just seems like there are enough -6 to -10 point spreads that there is a loss. But, the schedule sets up nicely.

I think that is why 11-1 may not be that impressive. Just not a great win on the schedule unless someone surprises or the Bearcats or Badgers or Tarheels or SC are a little better than expected. With 4 of Clemson, Bama, second SEC, OSU, 11-2 Big 12 Champ, 11-2 PAC 12 Champ, undefeated Group of 5, we could be left out.

But, obviously its just a guess.

I posted his Junior highlights.

15 seconds in it looks the same

55 seconds into highlights it is exactly the same as Spring practice video
Exactly, that’s 1.5 years ago.. two years ago it was different.., it’s been talked about how he changed

I hear you. On the other hand, 11 impressive wins and a close loss to a Wisconsin, USC or UNC + that winning team having a great year, who knows. A bad loss to them or anyone else definitely makes it unlikely.
the problem is those teams have a likely ceiling at #2 in their conference, which doesn't look good. OTOH we're overdue for a winnable bowl game.

2021/22 is not a difficult schedule.

Yes, there are some challenging games. However, not one team on this schedule will make the playoffs.

I am a fan of the Cincinnati program. This will not be an easy win. However, ND is the only top 25 team Cincy plays.

ND will be favored in every game this season.

Yes, new QB
Yes, new Oline
Yes, question marks at CB
Yes, a new DC

However,
Kelly has proved he can run the table. At least in the regular season lol.

Dynamic RBs! Chris Tyree and Williams are special.

Mayer is the Unstoppable TE.

Oline does have experience

Coan most likely wins the starting job. He brings big game experience.

The ND front 7 are MONSTERS! The front 7 will be the #1 reason why ND runs the table. At least until the playoffs.

I think your comment about Wimbush losing confidence is the most telling and accurate. I believe this to be the case. He was not as bad in the beginning as he became. Sure he had throwing limitations early but not like the way he was later. It was baffling and frustrating to watch him throw in the dirt I felt bad for him cause we all wanted him to succeed. It seemed more head case than lack of talent
It was a text book case of the yips. As a guy who played baseball through college, I can tell you it’s a real thing and some guys will never recover from them. Our backup catcher my Jr. yr at OU couldn’t make a throw to second anymore for shit, inexplicable. He’d been doing it with his arm strength since 8th grade, throwing ropes, and for no reason whatsoever he came out for our second game made two throwing errors and never threw with the same confidence again his last season. It was tough to watch, and that was in front of crowds of about 500, maybe 1000 occasionally.

I don't know, Wimbush was pretty bad right from the start. There was an undeniable sinking feeling during the UGA game that we could be real in trouble and that might be all she wrote for my dream coach Brian Kelly. But miraculously we pulled through, not least because of Wimbush's running, which certainly helped the cause as the offense had to scramble to compensate for the sudden lack of passing.

Interesting about a possible case of the yips, I never thought of that. He definitely seemed like a sensitive soul and maybe the pressure of starting at ND got to him and he did crack up a little bit. He could still throw downfield confidently and effectively. But in the short to medium range he was almost non-functional. That was kind of my theory. That his arm was too strong. And he simply lacked the finesse on anything less than thirty yards.

What makes it even weirder and worse, is apparently he was the all-time HS completion % leader for the whole country. In all of HS football anywhere. Over 70 percent for his HS career. A lot better than the roughly 50 percent he averaged as ND's starter.

It was a text book case of the yips. As a guy who played baseball through college, I can tell you it’s a real thing and some guys will never recover from them. Our backup catcher my Jr. yr at OU couldn’t make a throw to second anymore for shit, inexplicable. He’d been doing it with his arm strength since 8th grade, throwing ropes, and for no reason whatsoever he came out for our second game made two throwing errors and never threw with the same confidence again his last season. It was tough to watch, and that was in front of crowds of about 500, maybe 1000 occasionally.

Best yip throw in MLB I can remember.....

I also think Brandon's throwing problems were mental more than physical. Here is a video from a practice before the 2018 season:

At the 1:14 mark, you see Brandon throw 3 passes to a target net that couldn't have been more than 20 yards away. The first pass sails over the target, the second pass barely hits the target, and the third pass goes under it. You can see after the 3rd throw how frustrated Brandon was with his performance.

As others have noted, there have been several instances of the "yips" happening to baseball players. Aside from Chuck Knoblauch developing the yips, Steve Sax, Steve Blass and Rick Ankiel also come to mind. I still remember the 2000 NLDS game when the Cardinals were playing the Braves. Ankiel sailed through a couple of innings, but in the next inning suddenly couldn't hit the side of a barn, and threw 5 or 6 wild pitches in one inning along with several walks, and got yanked from the game. He was never the same after that, and eventually became a decent outfielder after giving up as a pitcher. I think maybe the same thing happened to Brandon. Something got in his head, and he never recovered from it. Sad, because I was really excited about his future as ND's QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT