ADVERTISEMENT

Spring practice update

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
From Coach Kelly
“What do we want from Drew Pyne?” Kelly said. “We want him to be the starter. We’re not handing this job to Jack Coan. Drew is built for this. He’s always been told that he’s not good enough, can’t be the starter or can’t win. It just motivates him even more.”

With that being said, it looks like it’s a 2 man race between Pyne and Coan.

In recent practice film it is Coan getting most of the 1st team reps and Pyne working with the 2nd team.

Coan make a lot plays to Mayer in some recent clips.

Houston Griffith is making some big plays. Good closing speed and good ball instincts.

Vyper Isaiah Foskey is a playmaker!

Defensive end NaNa Osafo-Mensah (#18) and defensive tackle Rylie Mills (#99)
Are two guy’s highlighted as well.

From Coach Kelly
“What do we want from Drew Pyne?” Kelly said. “We want him to be the starter. We’re not handing this job to Jack Coan. Drew is built for this. He’s always been told that he’s not good enough, can’t be the starter or can’t win. It just motivates him even more.”

With that being said, it looks like it’s a 2 man race between Pyne and Coan.

In recent practice film it is Coan getting most of the 1st team reps and Pyne working with the 2nd team.

Coan make a lot plays to Mayer in some recent clips.

Houston Griffith is making some big plays. Good closing speed and good ball instincts.

Vyper Isaiah Foskey is a playmaker!

Defensive end NaNa Osafo-Mensah (#18) and defensive tackle Rylie Mills (#99)
Are two guy’s highlighted as well.
Can you show the video of Griffith making some big plays?

Foskey and Mensah look good.

Mills loos like an NFL starting SDE right now. I'm expecting him to have a MONSTER year.

Reactions: Get Nasty
Old boy from Germany is my dark horse on the DL. That would be badass if he did. Jordan Bothello is from my HS, so I obviously want him to flourish, and he looks like a legit potential stud. But AE is the true dark horse.

He's got the tools. He looks totally light on his feet, and naturally athletic. This is a big changeover year at the DE position in any case.

Old boy from Germany is my dark horse on the DL. That would be badass if he did. Jordan Bothello is from my HS, so I obviously want him to flourish, and he looks like a legit potential stud. But AE is the true dark horse.

He's got the tools. He looks totally light on his feet, and naturally athletic. This is a big changeover year at the DE position in any case.

The crazy part is that Mills still has room to fill out and the German kid is like 6'7" so he has all kinds of frame. They already both look like big dudes. Add Rubio and Kainaaina into the mix and you've got a lot of size and length. Aside from Ehrensberger I think they all end up inside. Not sure how 6'7" fairs inside unless you're also 330lbs.

Last edited:
The crazy part is that Mills still has room to fill out and the German kid is like 6'7" so he has all kinds of frame. They already both look like big dudes. Add Rubio and Kainaaina into the mix and you've got a lot of size and length. Aside from Ehrensberger I think they all end up inside. Not sure how 6'7" fairs inside unless you're also 330lbs.

No doubt, DL has plenty of young talent. On a related note, I wonder why Ovie transferred. He paid his dues, he looked pretty good in backup duty, and it was his turn to be the guy, especially with the tradition we're getting going at the position. But I guess going to Texas with two more years is not so bad either. Where he gets to play for Seven Win Sark!

In any case, I'm thinking JB can just move into his spot, as the ex-LB, ultra-athletic pass rusher, and win the starting job in '21. Though I guess if MTA is going to shift to DE, then maybe not.

This is just a big year in general, that's why I'm glad we have Coan. It would be so cool if we could consolidate our position with where the program is and actually contend for a playoff spot in 2021. Right now I have us down for 10-2. Which IMO is at least holding steady, while we ready ourselves for another run. Anything less is at least a bit of a step back.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Put all of the disclaimers in first (early in practice, not real games, only see the clips they want us to see, etc., etc.) but watching today's clips left me with:

- The D is winning more often then losing, especially against the rushing O - to be expected with the Oline rebuild, injuries, etc.
- Avery continues to impress me - looks smooth, showing great hands
- All of the QB's seem to be spinning it pretty well (mostly in 7 on 7's)

Reactions: Golson5
Put all of the disclaimers in first (early in practice, not real games, only see the clips they want us to see, etc., etc.) but watching today's clips left me with:

- The D is winning more often then losing, especially against the rushing O - to be expected with the Oline rebuild, injuries, etc.
- Avery continues to impress me - looks smooth, showing great hands
- All of the QB's seem to be spinning it pretty well (mostly in 7 on 7's)
Defense should always be ahead of the offense, especially this time in Spring so no worries there.

Remember there were big worries in 2017 season because the offense was carving up the defense on day 1.

Defense should always be ahead of the offense, especially this time in Spring so no worries there.

Remember there were big worries in 2017 season because the offense was carving up the defense on day 1.
Probably not with passing. Because no one could tackle Wimbush?

I did see some clips of Pyne working with the starters.

Some ND writers that have attended some of the Spring practices, say Coan is looking better and better each day.

Buchner appears to be getting more comfortable.

Jordan Johnson is making some nice one hand grabs

Last edited:
So has any mention been made at all about Brandon Clark? Is he just being effectively written out of ND's plans?

That's sort of what it seems like. I give BK a C- for how he's handling this current QB position battle. Of course he got an F- last time for how he handled Zaire/Kizer. I haven't closely studied his little zoom pressers, but he seems to be babbling a little too glibly and unnecessarily, which of course is to be expected with BK, and one of the reasons I love him so much.

Nevertheless he is pretty clearly not someone who's at his best having to make decisions like this. And discretion is usually the better part of unnecessary talk-talk-talking when it comes to something all the fans are following so closely. But maybe even if Clark were available he wouldn't even be in the running...

So has any mention been made at all about Brandon Clark? Is he just being effectively written out of ND's plans?

That's sort of what it seems like. I give BK a C- for how he's handling this current QB position battle. Of course he got an F- last time for how he handled Zaire/Kizer. I haven't closely studied his little zoom pressers, but he seems to be babbling a little too glibly and unnecessarily, which of course is to be expected with BK, and one of the reasons I love him so much.

Nevertheless he is pretty clearly not someone who's at his best having to make decisions like this. And discretion is usually the better part of unnecessary talk-talk-talking when it comes to something all the fans are following so closely. But maybe even if Clark were available he wouldn't even be in the running...
He's injured. What do you want the coaches to say about him? Or do you want Kelly to put him out there injured?

He's injured. What do you want the coaches to say about him? Or do you want Kelly to put him out there injured?

Please don't respond to me. I'm trying to forget you even exist. That's bad enough, let alone you addressing me personally. And then there's your raw stupidity as well....

Look, I know you want to get back at me, because I smear it in your face what a hater you are, and thus you impulsively respond to any post I might make with some sort of randomly disagreeable blather. But you're waaaaay in over your head, And you know how to make me happy when it comes to you being such a hater, so you could always go that route. I ain't holding my breath....

In any case, just let it go, please. You want to continuously bash ND's best player of the BK regime, then you can tolerate some of the resentment that you generate from better fans like me.

I have not seen anything about Clark. I know he had soreness in his injured knee.

I have to believe a coach will play his best players. Or should I say the best player overall.

For example, you might have a player that is more athletically talented. However, they could be lacking playbook knowledge or they might be having classroom struggles.

We are not around the program 24hrs. We have no clue what goes on behind closed doors.

From the outside you can make all kinds of judgment. However, things are going on inside that we may never be privy to.

I have not seen anything about Clark. I know he had soreness in his injured knee.

I have to believe a coach will play his best players. Or should I say the best player overall.

For example, you might have a player that is more athletically talented. However, they could be lacking playbook knowledge or they might be having classroom struggles.

We are not around the program 24hrs. We have no clue what goes on behind closed doors.

From the outside you can make all kinds of judgment. However, things are going on inside that we may never be privy to.

I'm just saying BK is the frontman of the program, he's the HC. Brendon Clark, even though he's currently unavailable and not even very seriously injured, should probably be treated with some acknowledgement that he's part of the equation as well at the all-important QB position.

And not simply be tossed into the proverbial scrap heap because he happens to be unable to participate in spring football. Most fans don't give a shit about Brendon Clark, so they don't care what happens to him. Fans are fans, no explanation required there. But he's the coach, he's not some shallow superfan, and since we're talking about QB here, not just backup DT or something, and BC is the most veteran returning player at the position, he ought to be accounted for. And unfortunately he IS being accounted for by default, or so it seems, and BK is completely writing him out of the picture, and treating it as if it's already down to Coan and Pyne, and Brendon who??

And that's pretty lame for a HC to behave that way. You don't have to be a master statesman to display greater tact and leadership than that. And that's why BK sucks at handling situations like this. But I don't know, maybe he has addressed BC's future and/or role at the QB position in a respectful way and I just missed it. That's entirely possible.

I'm just saying BK is the frontman of the program, he's the HC. Brendon Clark, even though he's currently unavailable and not even very seriously injured, should probably be treated with some acknowledgement that he's part of the equation as well at the all-important QB position.

And not simply be tossed into the proverbial scrap heap because he happens to be unable to participate in spring football. Most fans don't give a shit about Brendon Clark, so they don't care what happens to him. Fans are fans, no explanation required there. But he's the coach, he's not some shallow superfan, and since we're talking about QB here, not just backup DT or something, and BC is the most veteran returning player at the position, he ought to be accounted for. And unfortunately he IS being accounted for by default, or so it seems, and BK is completely writing him out of the picture, and treating it as if it's already down to Coan and Pyne, and Brendon who??

And that's pretty lame for a HC to behave that way. You don't have to be a master statesman to display greater tact and leadership than that. And that's why BK sucks at handling situations like this. But I don't know, maybe he has addressed BC's future and/or role at the QB position in a respectful way and I just missed it. That's entirely possible.
You're an idiot. The kid is injured. He had surgery on his knee.

You are clueless

Some ND writers that have attended some of the Spring practices, say Coan is looking better and better each day.
The practices have been closed. I'm not aware of any writers attending. The only thing the various writers have to go on are inside sources, which is fine, but not the same as first-hand observation. This spring is going to be more speculative than normal.

The young man tore his ACL senior year of high school I believe. Towards the end of this season he was taken out of the rotation because that same knee was experiencing soreness.

There are currently 4 QBs battling for 1 spot. 3 guys will not be happy with the outcome.

Good to hear Cam Hart is developing and hopefully earning major PT (possible starter).

I think every practice video shows Clarence giving up 1 or 2 TDs. Yes i get it's selected video, but i just don't think he's good and I think his lack of athleticism will prevent him from ever being good on this level.

I have found numerous ND reporters that have recorded practices. The local South bend news just did a story. Not sure if I can post other websites reporting.

The highlights are coming from ND, not the individual sites. All the sites have the same highlights to work with and link to but they offer their own commentary. The writers have not been able to attend practices.

Reactions: Golson5
The highlights are coming from ND, not the individual sites. All the sites have the same highlights to work with and link to but they offer their own commentary. The writers have not been able to attend practices.
I realize there is limited access for media and fans due to COVID. However, people are still getting access. As I said, the local news was there.

Good to hear Cam Hart is developing and hopefully earning major PT (possible starter).

I think every practice video shows Clarence giving up 1 or 2 TDs. Yes i get it's selected video, but i just don't think he's good and I think his lack of athleticism will prevent him from ever being good on this level.

Well that confirms he'll be your new Ian Book.

Every time he gives up a completion this year you can wax poetically on how he's dogshit.

I have found numerous ND reporters that have recorded practices. The local South bend news just did a story. Not sure if I can post other websites reporting.

Joe Wilkins is absolutely showing up in every practice video. He looks like he is the next ND WR to make that junior year jump to playmaker. IMO this WR position group could explode on the scene this season with multiple players capable of big game production if not years.

It’s hard to believe with the quality of talent lost off of the defensive line the past two seasons, but from the few glimpses we have seen the 2021 unit could be absolutely dominant. From the inside out there are multiple players who look like they could be game wreckers next season which is amplified by the multiple fronts Freeman employs with his defense. 2021 might be one of the higher sack seasons we have seen in a while.

Reactions: Zorich 88

Every time he gives up a completion this year you can wax poetically on how he's dogshit.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Especially with the way Lewis seems to be singled out for being so precocious or whatever. And he's going to be a cornerstone of the defensive backfield for the next two, three years.... what a juicy target he must be.

Same guy who said Asmir Bilal , Tony Jones, Javon McKinley couldn't play or contribute along with some others .Pretty confident he's dead wrong on Lewis too. Then again I'm sure he's the head talent evaluator for some NFL team so.....

I agree that Joe Wilkins very much looks like he's not going to be denied. And he seems like a perfectly good player too. He's not the most elite talent, but he delivers and performs. And that's something that the haters, using that term in the broadest, most universal sense, have to accept. That these lesser talents oftentimes perform well enough to force themselves into the mix and into the lineup.

So I wouldn't want to be Kevin Austin right now. He's a little behind the eight ball missing spring practice. But what's new there. And someone like Joe Wilkins who's always seemed like a coaches favorite, is making his push.

Same guy who said Asmir Bilal , Tony Jones, Javon McKinley couldn't play or contribute along with some others .Pretty confident he's dead wrong on Lewis too. Then again I'm sure he's the head talent evaluator for some NFL team so.....
Echo, don’t you share Nasty’s overall concern about our corners? Bracy looked like a really good developing young corner, then he got burned a few times and seemed to totally lose confidence. The coaches obviously lost confidence in him as they slowly replaced him with Lewis, who also struggled at times. To my eye, Lewis showed good technique, but he also seemed slow and hesitant. The question is whether he was slow and hesitant because he was thinking instead of reacting. Hoping this is the case, but we don’t know the answer yet, and so I think Nasty’s concerns are legitimate until proven otherwise. Personally, I keep hoping we’ll hear great things about one or two of our young defensive backs to meet our needs at corner.

Reactions: Chest Brockwell
Savvy, not sure why you are banging on BK over the QB situation. I think it is pretty fair to talk about who you have and not who may or may not be there down the road. Right now they have zero idea of what they have or don't have with Clark, if he will even be able to return and play, etc. From my perspective, I think BK has been extremely fair with his QB comments and updates. Similar to his not talking about Austin much as there simply is nothing to talk about yet.

From the clips I've seen:

- Lenzy, Keys, Davis and Gronk Jr are time and time again showing up in the highlights and looking very good.

- The QB's, when they seem to have time to throw, are all making some nice throws - especially on the deep balls. Of course we aren't seeing all of their other throws, so.....

- The running game has yet to be seen on the clips - the D is absolutely swallowing them up.

Clark being injured is getting zero reps. It is a battle between Coan and Pyne. Coan I believe will start. If only we had him last year. Tyler is the QB in waiting. Clark will probably transfer. I don't see BK handling this like Kiser/Zaire which lost us the Texas game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT